Oswego Hospital Employee Reviews

very stressful and over worked and always under staffed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYAugust 17, 2017
management didn't care the floor staff was always over worked. never got your breaks unless you smoked so staff started to smoke just so they could get a break
Pros
patients where nice
Cons
always working overtime
OK place to work
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYJuly 27, 2017
Mostly good people. Fast paced. Sometimes slow on weekend and night shift, good for students. Friendly nurses, for the most part. Cafe food is very good for a hospital and fairly priced.
Productive, face paced.
patient access (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJuly 12, 2017
Registered patient to be seen by the ER Physician. Communication between the Dr, nurses, emt, police, etc. The work culture was very team oriented. The hardest part of the job was the passing of a patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping staff and the patients get the care they need.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Upset patients
Hard Job but Love my Co-Workers and Patients
Registered Nurse on Medical Surgical Unit (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYJune 28, 2017
The work is rough. The patient load feels dangerous some days but I love the team support. Management is compassionate and understanding. 90% of the time I love my patients. I wish they offered some benefits for part-time. I can pick up shifts as often as I like. My coworkers switch shifts with me when I need to and I switch with them. They let me take 2 weeks off for vacation. I just wish I had more time to devote to patient care.
Pros
Good Management, Coworkers and flexible schedule
Cons
Being a Med/Surg Nurse is just, hard, busy, back breaking, work.
staff will pick up overtime to fill open slots
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYJune 17, 2017
Fast paced competitive mental health 18-28 bed unit. Staff are supportive to one another working well as a team. We are the only psych unit that does not use a seclusion room or 4 point restraints. We are able to therapeutically deescalate aggressive clients by communicating and listening well. We do a great job with our clients.
Pros
knowledgeable staff looking out for the well being of our clients
Cons
often work short staff which is a hardship to the team
Structure needed
Billing Specialist/Poster (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJune 8, 2017
After about 4 years of service new management took over HR, new CEO, new office manager. Updated information in handbook without highlighting basics for people who where already employed. Great family events locally and nice overall coworkers.
Pros
Nice Family Events
Cons
structure for office staff
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYMay 25, 2017
The overall culture is determined by the interactions had between employees. Management was not favorable to anyone, but definitely had reservations on a person-to-person basis on whom they dealt favorably. A small community hospital services company, Oswego Health is a place that job security is stable.
Pros
Encouraged in-house health screenings
Cons
Personal dealings came into play when disciplining or promoting employees
safe secure enviroment to work for
Senior Certified Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NY 13126May 13, 2017
I am a dependable employee I enjoy being a phlebotomist my typical day involed drawing blood on the inpatients of the hospital and throughout the day drawing blood in emergency room on timed floor draws very fast paced. my co-workers were very pleasant to work with. I would do this career for free I enjoy working with patients the most enjoyable part of my day involved doing home draws and going to different draw stations
Pros
job security
Cons
want to explore different hospital like upstate crouse
Good work enviroment with good comunication.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYApril 11, 2017
Was a great place to work. Good managers and supervisors who listen to both problems and praise. Salary good as well as benifits. Only bad thing for me was location, my new granddaughter being in Canandaigua.
Wonderful
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJanuary 11, 2017
I loved that I learned new things and when I asked questions I was taught. The co-workers and management were amazing. I enjoyed helping the patients and learning new things.
Oswego Hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYJanuary 13, 2016
I've worked at Oswego Hospital for 3.5 years, and I can honestly say that this organization has exceeded my expectations as an RN. I've worked in both Med-Surg and the ICU and found the management to be fair and competent. I was pleasantly surprised by this, having come from a large organization in Atlanta. Nursing is hard work, and as more requirements are placed on nurses it will continue to become more so. The attitude you bring to an organization largely determines your satisfaction, and this remains true with Oswego Hospital. Personally, I've had a good experience here, and I would strongly recommend this hospital to other nurses.
Pros
Great teamwork among staff, Close parking, Great traffic, Cafeteria food is actually good
Cons
Med-surg is a LARGE floor, lots of walking.
Hit and miss
LPN/Float- F/T and Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Departments were like their own little universe, each had different environment. Some pleasant to work within, others not so much. Management was all about the numbers not the patients and staff.
I enjoyed meeting different people and being able to help with their health needs.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYSeptember 14, 2015
A good place to learn about different aspects of the medical field. A company that stays updated and provides this information to their employees.
My positive impact on others in a medical office setting
Radiology Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYApril 14, 2015
I loved working weekends in the radiology office..I had a very relaxing atmosphere to work in and I enjoyed outpatient interaction..it was in this position I learned my computer skills and all other office skills.
Pros
Very relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Healthcare
A decent workplace with poor management
Desktop Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYFebruary 2, 2015
Work days varied based on tickets that came in and projects that needed to worked on. I would work on various desktop issues that involved desktops, laptops, printers, faxes, etc. My co-workers were helpful when I needed help solving an issue and mostly friendly but some had poor attitudes. They'd been their longer and felt like they were above working on some issues. Hardest part of the job was dealing with EMR software that frequently had slowness and other issues. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on issues with "customers". I like solving problems.
productive and fun
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYJuly 21, 2014
I enjoy helping each patient and trying to make them the most comfortable to make their stay more enjoyable for a better road to recovery.
I enjoy going to work everyday
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYFebruary 17, 2014
I have learned a great deal since working at the hospital. The on the job training prepared me well for a job that was very different then anything i had done before.

The people that work in the hospital are great, they are hard working and dedicated to their jobs. They are also willing to help. Help is always of use in healthcare and there is no lack of help at oswego hospital.

Overall working at oswego hospital has been a positive experience for me so far.
Pros
Great Coworkers, benefits for full timers, plenty of work to be done
Cons
hours vary
Workload exceeds staffing ability
Staff/Charge RN, Emergency (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYDecember 29, 2013
Because the facility is the only acute care facility in the area, surrounding communities have only this one emergency room to go to for assistance. The facility is primarily staffed with inexperienced young/new nurses, many of which are fresh out of college and have not been aptly trained and experienced in acute care settings, much less a setting with limited resources. This is a fairly rural hospital. The next nearest facility is 50 miles away, both to the north and south. It is most often extremely overcrowded, its resources highly overstressed, and unable to accommodate many of the incoming emergencies, especially traumas, heart attacks, and strokes, as well as complicated surgical needs. Though administration is aware of these issues, there is little they can offer for assistance, as funding is consistently well below what is needed. Job benefits are extremely limited and inadequate, as is the wages. They are not union, and have no local competition, therefore they offer as little as possible.
The only good point to the facility is that it is located in the center of town, making all the town of Oswego has to offer accessible. Other than that, to have to go in there on a daily basis was taxing to the spirit and morale, to say the least. There are good people that work there, but most have been "traded out" for younger, cheaper help. There is no administrative support, incentive, or even praise for those on the front lines. You are on your own, and if you turn your back, you will be thrown to the wolves, so to speak.
Pros
Cons
No admin support, poor work conditions, poor wages, very little benefits offered, all employees expendable
Nice people
Director of Technology (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYDecember 22, 2013
Good Place to work, family atmosphere. Great opportunities for advancement for the correct person.
Pros
Great opportunities for advancement for the correct person.
Cons
Too Much SNOW
Excellent place to work. I have no complaints.
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYNovember 26, 2013
Fast paced and constant change. great people. Learned excellent time management and organizational skills.