Otis College of Art and Design Employee Reviews

Working Hard
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2017
Be ready to work hard to achieve your goals. They help if you help yourself, but that's what it's like in the industry, am I right? Anyways, it's frustrating the lack of communication between departments and student voices seem to get lost in translation a lot.
Pros
free pizza a lot
Cons
Doesn't feel like enough support sometimes
Quick paced, creative, collaborating environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2017
My opinion about Otis college of Art and Design is it's a culture of community of diverse and creative individuals.

On a typical day at work my job consist of student-centered thinking to guide me and my actions. I would be helping on many levels from providing assistance for a campus event for our office to, preparing items for a budget meeting.

As a manager I've learned a great deal about myself. I have become a better listener, strive to create trust and to learn from one another. The hardest part of my job is assisting student with a difficult situation and it can be challenging for me to see them go through their challenge. I also find it the most rewarding to be honored to help them when they are in need and I enjoy watching them become adaptable and open to growth and change.
Worked with me
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 8, 2017
This job worked around the busy schedule I had at the time and provided a good work atmosphere.
I learned very quickly how to get around the limitations set before me in order to accomplish what needed to get done as quickly as possible. Some of the hurdles I had to overcome were language barriers, insufficient filing system, and inconsistent information being provided.
That said I was able to get past these hurdles, and people I worked with truly made the whole experience a delight.
Pros
flexible schedule, great co-workers
Cons
no medical benifits
Fun and enjoyable
Staff Leader/ Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Westchester, CAApril 28, 2017
I had a great time working as a Peer Mentor at Otis College of Art and Design. Being able to guide student during their transition to Otis was inspiring, and seeing them grow as a designer and as a person was very valuable to me.
Pros
Meeting new students, setting up for events
Engaging atmosphere with Diverse Community
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 31, 2017
Otis is a small art and design college with many friendly faces. Employers are always understanding and do their best to accommodate. Food is on site and is delicious
Nice place to work
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westchester, CAFebruary 27, 2017
I liked the overall culture. I enjoyed the people I worked with. I would recommend people to work there. Knowledgeable staff.
Pros
Pto
Cons
I really enjoyed working with the instructor and the students!
Teacher's Assistant for Nuke and Maya (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2016
I have a good relationship as with my instructors and many of the students. I enjoyed being around inspired students and teach them to make cool things.
Collaborative and tightly-knit community and workplace
Collective Performances Organizer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2016
Working at Otis College of Art and Design is a very efficient way of making connections with professors and peers. The work is fast-paced and in high demand. Working as a teacher assistant or gallery host at the school I attend is convenient and productive for my learning experience. Volunteer positions improve my relationships with other artists and help to improve the community.
Pros
Making lasting connections
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, high demands, working over-time
Enjoyed meeting talented and friendly faculty and students at social academic events.
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  CADecember 2, 2015
It's a hectic and creative work environment which offers the opportunity to enhance office managerial skills. Learned and developed practical tasks to monitor and balance department budget to prevent overspending. Coordinated faculty and students daily activities concerning classroom needs and scheduling of academic events. Fostering College academic mission, enforcing management policies and procedures on a daily basis. Teamwork and practical communication skills among colleagues was of essence to achieve best results. Overall, It was a rewarding and challenging experience in my career path.
Pros
Convenient job location location.
Cons
Standard company benefits and salaries.
Great opportunities amongst amazing minds!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2014
"The universe is working in your favor." I heard this on my first day at OTIS to realize, yes, this is true and that we design our own lives in the making in one shape or another. Be open to the opportunities and resources here. There are many great and talented people. The time between application to hire is about 1-2 months.
Photo Librarian for art students
Visual Resources Librarian-interim (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 29, 2013
Rich environment containing film, video and slide documentation of some of the best art of the past century.
Fun workplace to work
Director of Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2013
I really enjoy working for Otis College of Art and Design. In the last 15 years I have gained much from Otis. Otis is a family and a wonderful place to work.

I have learned how to work as team not only with my co-workers, but with upper management.

There really anything I can say "what was the hardest part of my job", because there wasn't any thing really hard except maybe letting people go do to work performance . We always worked a team and achieved great things by doing things as a team.
Pros
Always working together as a team
Cons
Not enough time in a day works to complete all the goals I have set for myself
instructor, mentor, aid
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2013
instruct, mentor, aid students
give feedback, help in class discussions, give guidance, do demos, hold field trips, etc.
Pros
great to help inspire and help shape creative minds for the better
Cons
a lot of politics going on
the administration is garbage
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2013
garbage administration

too many out of touch immgranted students that clic and look down on the american students
Pros
u learn design
Cons
the administration is garbage
Somewhat disorganized but good intentions
Educator/Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2013
Nice facilities, wonderful to teach here, enjoyed working with the staff. I developed the content as well as taught the classes. I enjoyed the autonomy.
Family Oriented Company
Student Accounts Counselor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 2, 2012
Awesome place to work. Fun place to work. Enjoyed coworkers. Expect one in particular.
Pros
flexibility with work schedule
Cons
long travel distance
Great place to work!
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Los Angels, CAMarch 20, 2012
Otis is a wonderful place to work. Everybody is laid back and positive-mannered, and the school is just great. I highly recommend it and would love to work here permanently, but I'm only a temp.