Otis Elevator Company Employee Reviews

Trading time for dollars
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 23, 2016
I have never seen a plant run itself into the ground like this one. There is no leadership. Management on the floor are in their own world. Associates are left to figure it out on their own daily changes as management doesn't have a clue or wants to take responsibility thereof. This can be seen in management's failure to properly communicate with the associates especially on 2nd shift. Margin of error via overall product quality is unacceptable. This is to include getting the contract 100% correct and sent to the customer on time. Associates on the floor never have operational and functional tools. Try finding drill bits, markers, gloves, and other necessary items in getting the job done. Too many near misses and minor safety issues go unreported. HR is the worst. Many of the associates put in for open jobs that are currently available and HR never responses back. When HR is confronted on the follow up on jobs applied for HR kills you with kindness and doesn't give you a straight answer on the job status applied. HR is big on favoritism. This plant in Florence SC needs to turn things around now or shut down.
Pros
Co workers Great place to trade time for dollars until a new job
Cons
HR no advancement no leadership low plant moral not structured
Good starting pay
Elevator Construction (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTFebruary 1, 2017
In the brief time I worked for Otis, I found the job to be physically demanding and stressful. It all depends on the individual you train under. This is a 4-5 year apprenticeship that can open doors to a lot of possibilities. An individual has to be willing to work hard during their apprenticeship and attend school in the evenings, but the pay-off can be well worth it in the end.
Pros
Good pay, payed days off
Cons
managers and supervisors calling your house well into the night
A new day has come
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 29, 2016
This place was great and learned a lot. Good benefits. Flexibility on the job is nice. Stayed busy. Company restructure process has been a tremendous task and hardship. Many people's jobs restructured and centralized.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Frequent management changes created havoc on customers and staff
Otis is tha largest elevator companies in the world. It provided an exceptional work environment and helped me support and build my family
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJNovember 29, 2016
My last assignment prior to moving to our sister company Unitec-Vertech, was as the General Manager of our operations in Northern New Jersey for 17 years.
This was my most gratifying job I have ever help in my 31 years with Otis Elevator
Pros
My team, salary and incentive compensation program
Management is the worst ever
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 31, 2017
Not recommend anyone to work under my Manager. It is just a headache. The Manager will tell you how to save document, whatever you do is not good enough for him. You have a project when someone else is working in parallel on the same project. It is a nightmare.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Management is not good
Great People, company is stuck!
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTSeptember 14, 2016
Great people, the best in the industry. Due to poor management decisions, the company lost momentum over the last 4 years. Management is too focused on the current needs and is ignoring the future needs. I trust the smart people in the company will fix this issue soon.
Pros
great people
Cons
poor management decisions
Good company with strong culture
Supervisor, Field Operations Management (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNApril 2, 2016
Very competitive environment, good relationship between management and union. One major plus with this company is that there is lots of opportunity to move up and relocate.
Pros
Big company with lots of opportunity to relocate
Cons
Very competitve industry
Former supply chain "grunt"
Sr. Manager, Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 26, 2016
I use the term "grunt" definitively.

If you're willing to become a grunt / go-for responding to the whim of a "manager", and I use the term loosely, then this is the place for you.

I would grant a period of transition for 18-24 months, but not 3 years. Trial by fire was the order of the day - try it, if it didn't work, try something else and just keep trying. But don't loose sight of the MISSION No. 1 - reduce costs but don't risk production - even if it's not right.

Until they get their compass set accurately, turmoil is the order of the day and be willing to take you share of criticism - due or not.
Pros
Overall, a good company - just not this location
Cons
Ruthless
Organized and great place to work.
Project Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 17, 2016
Safety training is great. Continued required training with ethics courses. Diverse workforce. Customer focused. Company paid education with bonuses. Office culture is casual.
Manage new opportunities
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Rio Piedras, PRJanuary 18, 2017
Focus efforts on identifying new opportunities. Serving and satisfying our customer’s needs.
Otis Elevator Company, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation, is the world’s largest
manufacturer, installer and service provider for elevators, escalators, moving walkways and other
horizontal transportation systems.
as and intern i felt as a full time worker.
Intern for Industrial Engineering Department (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 10, 2017
Even on the busy days at this job you still feel at ease no motto as (CYA) people are very helpful. computer system is easy to understand also. One of the best places to get on at in Florence SC.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, gym membership, phone plan discounts
Cons
not many if any.
Employment with a purpose - Great systems and equipment provided
SR ASSISTANT/ GENERAL ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTAugust 8, 2016
Excellent training and computer software support
Fair compensation and benefits
Was able to fully apply myself at my position.
Was able to problem solve.
great place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 31, 2017
i really liked my job at otis would love to go back ther for employment. workers was very nice and helpful. managers and team leaders was always helpful and concerned with job production.it was very easy to learn and catch on to work.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
n/a
I enjoy working here
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJuly 11, 2016
Strong leadership values
Effective time management on Projects
Focused on lean and inventory management

High paced environment
Strong emphasis on collaboration and team building
Product driven decision making
Elevator Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 19, 2017
Fast paced, sales driven, business environment. The ability to multi-task is necessary due to workload. Functional office. Travel time varies due to continuous construction on I-85.
This has nothing to do with anything
Editor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJanuary 28, 2017
This was a book that I edited through a college course. It was a children's book about a sloth exploring the Amazon jungle. So, it was cute.
get 3 days off
mechanic (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 12, 2016
work ten hours a day four days a week get three day weekend,has excellent benefits. alot of heavy equipment.alot of lifting.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
a lot of heavy lifting
Job Autonomy and Ability to Create Own Schedule
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 4, 2016
A typical work week consists of Mondays and Fridays in the office on conference calls and planning for the week. Tuesday - Thursday is scheduled for customer visits/site surveys/sales calls.

I have learned all aspects of how a major corporation operates. I was responsible for every aspect of the sales process as well as the management side of the product installation. I was also responsible for the accounts receivable for each customer in my territory.

The toughest part of my job was balancing sales with finance, office secretarial work and account management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the autonomy and the branch team.
Pros
Autonomy, High Level Responsibility, Education Assistance Program
Very fast-paced environment with otherwise great culture
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 4, 2016
This is definitely a good atmosphere to work in; it is fast-paced and rather stressful, especially, if the local office isn't doing as well as expected, but the attitudes of the people are good and most everyone is dedicated to mission completion. The direct results of your labors are apparent, and the parent company UTC does have good benefits.
Pros
No suits below corporate! Collared shirts are fine
Cons
High stress levels and increasing expectations
Reputable company with innovative products and service abilities
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2016
Demanding, task oriented environment which is rewarding. Interfacing with customers, working with co-workers to deliver service results. Management is supportive and experienced in this industry. The hardest part of the job is delivering the results expected from the company in a fast paced environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Otis Elevator Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Otis Elevator Company Reviews by Location