Otis Elevator Company

Otis Elevator Company Employer Reviews

Good company to work for
Apprentice (Current Employee), Lanham, MDFebruary 22, 2015
Pros- good amount of work on the books, Great benefits
Cons- not good communication between office workers and field workers.
Great company to work for
Modernization Sales Manager/Account Executive (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 9, 2015
OTIS is a great company to work for. I have been there for over 7 years and love the sales and customer service side of it. I have been training and mentoring many employees under me for a couple of years and enjoy every minute of it.
A so-so place to work
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Florence, SCDecember 14, 2014
Pros: engineers want to learn to make things better, cheaper, faster.
Cons: check out the paragraph.
The personnel on the floor can get the job done, but, like any work force, the supervisor must stay available/seen for them to make rate. The management, particularly the Operations Manager, has the problem solving techniques of a dinosaur. His technique about overcoming problems is to throw more personnel at it. When the job is completed, lay them off. Cannot think past his desk, and has an aversion to, long-term solutions. Doesn't like training personnel on the floor. The training is done by the Supervisor, at their level. The Engineers are doing so much paperwork and attend so many meetings, they can't get anything done on the floor. Most have meetings 7 out of the 8 hours a day. The contractors are the only ones whom are really getting things done. There was a recent 'epiphany' at the CEO level, the project tracking should be done via Excel spreadsheet rather than MS Project. The management even went to China for a week to come up with this clunky, hard-to-use, time consuming and; in the opinion of most of the engineers, completely worthless method to track projects. A position was actually created in each plant for a person to attend all meetings just to ensure this worthless method was implemented and updated. I spoke to this person and asked questions about how to incorporate date changes, include steps that could've been forgotten and remembered later, and alarms in the software to notify you about project impacts, to which they couldn't answer. I stated MS Project actually can do this. Most of the meetings I attended were to update the file, not solve any problems. – more... The engineers are very eager to learn and are willing to spend a great deal of time with more senior and experienced engineers. They love being mentored it and is like a welcome rain shower during a drought. It takes almost a year to put through and authorize a drawing change, no matter how minor. Aerospace companies can implement a drawing change in about 1-4 months. The accounting manager has the office next to the plant manager. Not the production manager. The Supply Chain folks did more to educate me about how the plant works than most of the engineers. They were more open to making changes than the management was. Making elevators is a very enlightening experience. There's more to it than a box with a motor and cables to haul it up and down. – less
Very dynamic and fast enviorment
NEQ/MOD Superintendent (Former Employee), Albany, NYDecember 1, 2014
Pros: endless resourceses
Cons: no down time
Otis does expect you to be on the job 24/7. There is no way to get around this, the way the system works. Pay is fair and benefits are good. The long history of this company has enriched their knowledge of the industry and its equipment.
Great company
Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Madrid, MDNovember 17, 2014
It was an important opportunity to make some practices in this company. Also, people can participate in important projects.
Excellent
Customer Service Representative/ Elite Specialist (Former Employee), Farmington CTOctober 22, 2014
Excellent benefits and there's a lot of growth room. The food in the cafeteria is really good too
UTC Company with great benefits
Sr Controls Design Technician (Former Employee), Farmington, CTOctober 17, 2014
Pros: utc training
Cons: long hours
Engineering and design for people mover systems.
great people and management.
Some travel but not extreme.
Schedule and Organize reapirs
Code Compliance Financial Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
Operations work, and sales

Learned Sales and operations work

Knowledge of tough is industry is tough to figure out.

Flexible hours and ability to work from home is most enjoyable.
Typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Farmington, CTOctober 1, 2014
Pros: work space
Cons: no benefits
Taking inbound calls & making calls.
Good work space.
Teamwork & enjoyable coworkers.
very fun and production place to work
Technical Assembler (Former Employee), Florence, SCSeptember 22, 2014
Great place to work, the work was not hard at all. i enjoyed my co-workers they all were very friendly and eager to help you learn your job.
Huge organization
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee), Florence, SCAugust 21, 2014
Pros: freedom to work without interruption.
Cons: so much stuff to do, not enough time in a day.
Assists in department documentation, studying processes, and providing feedback to operations.
Produce process sheets and work instructions for product assembly.
Review drawings and report errors.
Take pictures and videos of the manufacturing process.
Consulted with employees concerning job functions.
productive and easy to work for when you look at the job at the end of every day and you see progress
electrician / construction (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 28, 2014
Pros: the pay is great and the people you work with are one of a kind
Cons: having to keep your eye out for people sticking there head into the hoist way
I think that when you look up the hoistway at the end of the day and you see all the doors leading edges and door bucks all in line all perfect you have a great sence of accomplishment and your day that was so hard became a great accomplishment and it was all worth it
changing times
Manager (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJuly 5, 2014
Pros: people, name recognition of product
Cons: horrible corporate management, typecasting by local management
Otis Elevator has historically been a great place to work. United Technologies (Otis' parent company), in recent years, made decisions and gave orders that were not possible to complete. As a result, the operations that relocated from Bloomington, IN and Nogales, Mexico to Florence, SC caused major problems and unnecessary issues that adversely impacted all the people involved, all the sales people in the field, the products and the company as a whole.

The best part of the job has always been the people.
good learning experience
CAD Designer (Former Employee), Bloomington, InJune 5, 2014
learned all about elevators and gained new skills in Pro-E
learned sheet metal program
gained experience in PDM system Windchill
A great place to work as an intern
Intern (Former Employee), Florence, SCMay 13, 2014
1) Everyday, all the interns were assigned certain tasks by the supervisor, which we had to complete within certain amount of days. However, we were not pressured to finish all the tasks on time.

2) I learned how to do time-study analysis and how to create pictorial instructions. Furthermore, I learned how all the machines are assembled.

3) All the co-workers (interns) were my friends from college, so it was easy to interact and communicate during work.

4) The hardest part of the job was to finish tasks that were never assigned before, and to also work on several tasks simultaneously.

5) The most enjoyable part of the job was being an intern itself. There are no real responsibilities like an actual job. We were learning.
Productive work environment during the time I was there..
Collections and Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 25, 2014
Pros: good location; easy access to public transporttion.
Cons: management turnover was constant.
Typical work day was filled with customer phone calls; out-going & in-coming; processing of reports& correspondance. Meetings held with Sales Reps & Mgrs. weekly & monthly. I learned a bit about Accounting. I got along with co-workers. Most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with customers and creating the collection reports.
No Job Security
IS Help Desk Manager (Former Employee), Bloomington, INMarch 22, 2014
Pros: facility; benefits
Cons: job security
I really enjoyed what I did. I thought I made a difference. My area was outsourced, which was a kick in the gut.
One of the safest companys to work for.
Installer/Helper (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 25, 2014
This company sets the standards in safety. we re-modified elevator; disassemble and reassemble motors, rewire controllers and install and wire in a new control operating panel. We also replaced the roller guides, ropes, governor, and added a rope griper for additional safety.
A Rewarding Place To Work
Electrical Technician (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJanuary 22, 2014
(Temporary Contractor) At the Otis Research And Development Center, we strive to develop safer, smarter and energy efficient elevator systems. My primary responsibilities as a Contractor include the prototyping of various assemblies related to all of the elevator's operating systems. These systems include the Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical and Remote Monitoring of the actual elevator. I performed all stages of prototyping under the guidance of the Engineering Department. This includes the use of Hand and Power Tools, Electronic Test Equipment, Soldering Printed Circuit Boards, Wiring and Fabrication. I am familiar with all types of Soldering from Thru- Hole, SMT, Trace Cuts, Component Modifications, Wire Bonding and some Die Attach. After the Fabrication Stage has been completed, I also assist with Testing and Data Collection of the new equipment. The Testing includes Thermal, Environmental, and Surge Protection of the various operating systems. Once the equipment is fully tested it is sent out into the field and installed in a functioning elevator where more testing is done.
good place to work
Elevator Technician (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIDecember 25, 2013
Pros: great learning experince
Cons: hard labor
Great learning experience hard but satisfying place to work. People very helpful will to teach you the ropes of the job.

1 2 3

About Otis Elevator Company

Floor, please? Otis Elevator is headed up. A United Technologies (UTC) subsidiary, Otis Elevator (Otis) accounts for some 20% – Read more

Otis Elevator Company Photos