Ottawa University Employee Reviews in United States

Very Poor Leadership
Administrative Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSApril 16, 2016
Advice to Management: Focus on the community you have in front of you (e.g. students, faculty, and staff). Try to repair the mistrust and damage done to the faculty and staff still working for the university. Growing with your community, not at their expense is the only way forward.

Pros: Student. Resilient faculty and staff remaining after many resignations and RIFs. Beautiful campus. Untapped potential when it comes to rebuilding a truly Christ-centered community of grace.

Cons: The president and other senior leadership treat employees as expendable resources, not caring or seeing value in the community that our university once had. Numerous "early retirements" and "reductions in force" have soured morale to toxic levels. This organization only benefits the few at the very top and continues to squander precious resources in pursuit of prestige projects, such as the recently completed student union. Prestige projects like this have directly impacted decisions to initiate further "reductions in force."
Pros
Fantastic Students, Faculty, and Staff
Cons
Leadership
Good job
Librarian Aide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, KSMarch 4, 2015
This job is through the school/federal government. As such, pay is minimal and hours are odd, but it is an overall great place to work if you're a student at Ottawa University.
Christian orenited school
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INMay 15, 2014
Very quiet office. Everyone nice as a dysfunctional family normally is. Management and student advisor were about the only ones people felt they could talk to. Student's did not feel as if they could talk to Dean. Job was very fulfilling always learning something new. Absolutely loved job to point of crying when position was over.
Pros
long lunches if needed, willing to work with you on hrs.
Cons
dysfunctional family feeling at times
An excellent learning environment for adult learners
Graudate Student, Master of Art, Human Recources (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 29, 2014
Ottawa University provides flexible and high quality of learning environment for adult learners. All staff is geared to help me to achieve my goal in success.
Peaceful environment with opportunities to serve and help others
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSAugust 13, 2013
Flexible hours that can accommodate your schedule. Need to be able to learn and work new library programs that allow for smooth and organized information processing as well as phone skills, knowledge of the Dewy Decimal System and customer service skills.
Work study job
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSMay 31, 2013
Worked with a title 1 reading teacher. Good experience as a college student.
Christian centered environment with wonderful staff
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIApril 12, 2013
I love Ottawa University because the culture in the school is very open and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to be me in the classroom and I am supported in all that I do.
Pros
wonderful staff
Cons
contract work
Fun workplace
Student Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 19, 2012
Great place to work! It is a stable learning environment with a strong focus on team building.
Pros
teambuilding, fun environment
Cons
hours
Student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSNovember 8, 2012
This job was for students that attended Ottawa University and were allowed to work only 9 hours a week. This job was great for giving students a little extra money to try to make it by with.
Productive and helping students reach their goals
Finance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INNovember 2, 2012
Since our terms are 8 weeks, I have the same routine each day. I work very hard to make sure our student’s financial obligation has been met for the next term. It is usually met with financial aid, but our university also has students who use employer reimbursement and pay out of pocket for their tuition. In addition, I work closely with academic advisor to monitor the academic progress of our student.

I have learned several things about financial aid and employer reimbursement. Also, I have learned the academic portion of the university. Academic plays an important role in the student’s eligible for financial aid.

I work with a very diverse group of people and I think that gives us character.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with financial aid and not having enough diversity in my job position. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping students reach their academic goal.
Pros
easy drive to work
Cons
not enough staff, working hours
Ottawa University
Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSMarch 27, 2012
A typical week for me was about 80 hrs of work from the 5 am lifting to closing the batting cages at 10 or 11 pm after practice along with all of the administrative and practice duties between. Rigorous hours spent in order to provide the lessons and support to develop my players to the highest degree on and off of the field of play. One on One meetings with players everyday all week to guide them in lifes important decisions.
Ottawa University
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2011
Overall, Ottawa University is an alright place to work. The environment is friendly - however, the values leadership displays do not meet with the overall values of the school. I worked at the Phoenix campus in Admissions and I only hope they have started back being ethical