Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices

Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices Employee Reviews

Nice place poor staffing and management
STNA (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHMarch 26, 2017
Beautiful place resident ratio great but the cooking cleaning you do it all if you needed a nurse they get upset cause they have to get up you cannot possibly care for someone while you have food on the stove trying to fix a meal they have actIvity person but she just walks around and tells you to do activities they just expect way to much for so little pay I worked day shift 7-3 evening shift always called off and I was mandated to stay this was an everyday occurrence
Pros
Meals are free was close to home
Cons
Mandated to stay if next shift does not show low pay
Corporate Ruins This Job
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 24, 2017
I worked as wait staff for 8 months here. The problem was rarely residents, sometimes the coworkers, but 95% of the time the problem is some order from the higher ups, who were clueless to the daily situations in the work environment. As someone in high school, this was a great job for me, pay-wise and scheduling-wise. Most of the employees are unhappy with the environment from the higher ups and the organization levels are all over the place, leading to an unfair and unhappy environment for both workers and the residents. I loved everything here but the higher ups and the way they handled things
Pros
Free dinner, good enough pay
Cons
Patronizing, lack of structure, denial from supervisors and higher ups that anything was wrong
Positive work environment
Culinary Aide (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 18, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all the smiling faces from the residents after pleasing them with a enjoyable meal.
My work place culture is very friendly and welcoming!
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
understaffed
Love the residents. Was not flexible with my availability. Short staffed.
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJanuary 30, 2017
Would not work with me wanting to go to 1st shift. 3rd shift was not working with my home life. Due to me having little kids. The floor i worked on, the nurse was rude& careless. Not helpful at all.
Pros
Gym access
Cons
Rude, careless nurse. Non smoking property.
Bricks and Mortar Don't Make a Place!
STNA (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2016
Bricks and mortar don't make a place. Unfortunately, Otterbein has built a number of nice small house rehab neighborhoods, but they're staffed by universal workers that are called on to do everything and are not staffed very well. There are no kitchen staff, housekeeping or laundry staff. The STNA's have to do it all and don't make much money. Too much work for too little pay.
Pros
free lunch, buildings
Cons
asked to do too much for too little pay
Not a good company for veterans
Management Position (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 9, 2016
If you're a veteran of the military, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Company is all talk about their support and appreciation of one's military service.
FUN place to work!!
Elder Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHOctober 26, 2016
I've worked in senior care for almost 5 years and this by far is the best facility I have yet to step foot in. The non traditional layout allows you to really connect with not only your elders but your coworkers as well. Awesome environment and home like atmosphere that you can customize for each member of your house. It's awesome to be able to give them a nice home cooked meal and sit at the table to eat together as opposed to cafeteria style dining. There's no doubt that I would want my family member in a place like this if given the choice.
Pros
meals included, home-like, low patient/worker ratio
A joke
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, OHAugust 17, 2016
I was in grounds and it was s bad experience. The head of ground was very bias and unfriendly. Very under-paid and over-worked. You would have to be on call an entire week every 6 to 7 weeks. Their benefits suck. They don't pay for holidays off. The people I worked with was very arrogant and cocky. It's SUPPOSED to be a Christian campus when all they care about is money. Just DONT work here.
Pros
Free lunches, day went fast.
Cons
Cocky people, bias supervisor, pay/benefits suck
Positive and Diverse workplace
RN (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHAugust 3, 2016
Fun upbeat workplace. Fair and consistent practices. Supportive corporate office. Small house concept positive for elders, true focus on quality of life for elders. Encourage continued education. caregiver ratio 1:5.
Pros
relaxed home like environment, competitive pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
sometimes difficult to find private place to make phone calls
Fun place
STNA (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHJuly 17, 2016
The place is beautiful from outside to inside but the managements are so poor. We had new managements and they don't listen to what the staffs has to say nor do anything. We do too much work and the pay rate is so low. We provide care to the elders, housekeeping, cooking, laundry. We don't get pay holidays or shift differentiate, If you want to get pay holidays you have to use your pto. Which is very very stupid but yet pay agencies a lot of money. We constantly have agencies upon agencies working there because we get pay low and the managements can't keep people. I love the place but the concept is not there. They need a strong solid management team to hold that place or else is going to fall apart.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Understaff, poor management, no breaks, underpay
Would not recommend until they get management straightened
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHMay 25, 2016
This facility is beautiful, the management is awful. There is high turnaround of ALL management. Management will not listen to what you have to say and the administrator has a fix-it-yourself attitude which leaves state as a threat to the facility. Agency nurses are there everyday which throws everything off. I would not work at this facility again.
Pros
Newer buildings
Cons
Rarely get breaks
look elsewhere
Elder Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 17, 2016
Racist management, patients and family and family members. Management does not deal with racism, ..elder assistant told administrator about racism with a patient...administrator said to turn the other cheek as her response...no minority nurses and or management..no minority residents. Look elsewhere! They pay their unexperienced aides 9.83...look elsewhere
Pros
free food
Cons
racist, short staffed, unrealistic values
Beautiful faith based facility
Enrichment/Activity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 5, 2016
I am proud to work there.
The hardest part of the job is the understaffing we are experiencing. It is affecting all the departments.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the laughter from residents during activities.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits
Cons
understaffing
residents were great
LPN Float Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 3, 2016
the staff was great to work with, management was poor, the patient ratio to workers was poor, due to workers leaving because of the poor management. Those residence deserve way better care than the workers are able to provide to to lack of help. The best part of the job was the residents of course. Amazing people to serve.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough help due to people leaving poor manangement
i loved working here
lpn (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHNovember 29, 2015
This small house concept is great. I always worked for "traditional" facilities and when I started working here it was very different. The company really cares about their employees. Upper management listens and try to find a solution.
Pros
the environment
Cons
short staff
Decent Workplace
STNA (Current Employee) –  Cridersville, OHDecember 29, 2014
Nice place to work, very clean. Management could use some work, not all the bosses are great with making the schedule, they also hire in a lot more people than needed so the hours seem to get cut down a lot.
Pros
Most residents are very sweet, clean workplace
Cons
Management sometimes has bad communication
Good Organization with Great Values
Executive Director and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leipsic and Saint Marys, OHJuly 17, 2013
Being part of the Otterbein Senior Lifestyle family was a privilege and an honor. From the corporate leadership on down you felt part of a team that wanted to create a culture of love and care for the seniors we served. The most difficult experience I worked through was the realization that as an organization we had to sell one of our properties because it couldn't financially stand on its' own. For a faith-based organization this was especially heart wrenching though the right thing to do. I highly rate Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices as a place to work.
Pros
Great visionary faith based not-for-profit orgainization.
Cons
Heavy reliance on consultants.
Interesting care concept that was not well executed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Maineville, OHNovember 9, 2012
patients did not receive timely care because of the cumbersome administration method of nursing going from house to house and not always having supplies when they needed them. Management was unprofessional and unavailable to provide training and feedback. The worst part about patient care was that the aides cooked and served poor quality and non nutritious food which in turn decreased the quality of life of the patients.
Pros
great concept
Cons
poor to no training, poor management leading to bad patient care
Nurse assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OhioOctober 14, 2012
Cared for the elderly and was a restorative aide. I preformed personal care and maintained patient safety. Companinship and palliative care duties was performed also.
Productive workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJuly 18, 2012
Team work environment with good co workers and great residents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8