Otterbein University Employee Reviews in United States

top heavy managenent
Daytime Circulation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 5, 2016
Otterbein has changed it used to be a company who cared for it's staff but, staff are a dime a dozen. It's top heavy but wonders why it's in debt, First time it's ever owed money and it's building a new department. Which caused no raises for the second year. They have to spend our monies to make money. We hire new people but they don't last long. We have a slow hire plan so people mostly hourly staff are stuck with doing more the same pay. No overtime, comp time but needs to be used the same week. Fire at will, 3 people have disappeared and never heard from again. Bought out for sure. We're a small university. We do not air our problems in front of our students. Except for my close campus friends every hourly staff is in the same boat.
Pros
freedom, no one contantly watching me. Work at my own pace
Cons
pay, only 37.5 hours a week, hourly, nill chances of advancement w/o degree, poor moral, no raise for second year in a row
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHJuly 21, 2015
Otterbein is a good place to work. I have been there for over 15 years. It has a great atmosphere for learning and has many friendly employees. I love teaching their students because they all come ready to learn!
Pros
Students and employees
Cons
pay is minimal
A great place to Develop into the IT professional you want to be!
Staff Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 13, 2015
shifts revolved around your schedule with this part-time gig. Once the schedule was set, you still had the flexibility to call in and make adjustments to that schedule. Supporting Staff was incredible. Interested in teaching and developing us individually and collectively. Tasks and responsibilities grew as we learned and showed that we could handle responsibilities. The management style of very flat but still provided enough structure that efficiency was no problem. We, as students, felt like part of the team. The hardest part of the job came from planning and executing the summertime projects. This was a time where the bottomline was stressed more than day to day management. We used that opportunity to show what we were capable of and exceed expectations. The job was one concerned for us as individuals and fully invested in our future productivity and growth. There is no place to work like Otterbein!
Pros
exposure and experiential/educational growth
Cons
restricted hour limit.
Engaging and fast-paced, sports-centric environment
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 7, 2015
My time as a production assistant for Otterbein's WOCC/OTV television station was a fun and engaging experience. While not a sports enthusiast myself, I was able to help produce and film various events for the consumption of the Otterbein and Westerville community.
Pros
Fun and engaging
Cons
Project-by-project pay
Overal, Otterbein University provided a positive work enironment
Professor of Marketing Retired (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 24, 2014
I can best describe my 25 year career at Otterbein University as being a journey that was both challenging and rewarding with a few pot holes. The most rewarding part of the job was the interaction with students inside and outside the classroom. The most challenging part of the job--at times--was the interaction with colleagues
There are many day to day activities in teaching and there is no typical day. The primary daily activities include the preparation of lectures and other classroom activities, delivering the lecture and leading the discussion and other activities and interaction with students aft6er class.
Pros
student interaction
Cons
faculty/staff interaction
Great Place to Be an Adult Student
Student (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHMarch 17, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Otterbein, I was treated like an adult, which is nice because I am an adult.
Pretty campus, little help for adjunct professor in Statistics
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 2, 2014
Pretty campus, little help for adjunct professor in Statistics
Great Learning Experience
Personal Work Selected by University Professor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioJanuary 28, 2014
This opportunity gave me so much insight into the intricacies of politics and governmental affairs
Pros
a great learning experience
A Great Job to Learn While Working
Chemistry Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJanuary 2, 2014
Everyday I would have to come in and make sure all the chemicals and compounds were the correct place. I would then set up all the labs for the next day and made sure that all the equipment and chemicals were accessible to the students. While working there I also reorganized the chemicals in the stock room and created a new filing system for them. I enjoyed being able to learn more about the subject while working.
Wonderful school and great place to coach
Assistant Men's Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHAugust 7, 2013
The Head Coach is a great coach and an even better person. Teaches not only the game of soccer, but teaches players to be better upstanding citizens and is always available to his players.
Welcoming and great place to work!
student assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHDecember 6, 2012
As a student assistant in Student Affairs, I was responsible for handling inquiries from students, alumni and parents. I was responsible for all administrative duties including sorting mail, presentation preparation, answering the phone and taking messages. There were moments where it was pretty fast paced especially in the summer for the housing department which is located in Student Affairs but I caught on fast.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Otterbein University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6