OU Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

fun and good place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 2, 2016
the doctors were good with the nurse very good place to work got to meet different drug reps it taught me a lot right after I graduated
Pros
lunches from the drug reps
Cons
some nights we would be there until 7-8pm
Great place to learn
Radiologic Technologist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 27, 2016
Overall it was a very good place to work. . I was a lead tech and had a wonderful crew who always worked hard to get the job done efficiently.
Pros
Days
Cons
Work holidays
Productive and educational experience
Staff RN- Interventional Radiology (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 25, 2015
Managed patients daily by performing conscious sedation and their pain pre, intra, and post-operatively. I, learned a variety of skills, especially accurate performance of conscious sedation. I was pleased with management and was treated well. I enjoyed my co-workers who were mentors as well. The hardest part of the job was being on-call with a 30 minute response time. The most enjoyable was everything else.
Pros
Great repport with your patients and the physicians.
Cons
Being on-call with a 30 minute reponse time.
Not a good place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 2, 2015
Before you consider OU Medical Center, look at other area hospitals. This place does not give paid holidays unless you have the PTO to cover said holiday. They give you false hope and management is not all to great. Certain people get away with so much but yet you get told what your doing wrong by someone who knows nothing of anything! I would not recommend this place to anyone! I work in the clinics and my goodness they do not care how will you treat the patient. if the patient has a problem with you, you're just wrong in the situation, no matter what!
Pros
Cons
Management, no paid holidays, no room for advancement, inconsiderate of employees, high turn over
Excellent company, able to gain a wide variety of work experience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKNovember 10, 2015
Excellent company, able to gain a wide variety of work experience, and you are allowed to do lots of over time through out the year! Need to work weekends? They pay you extra for weekends and more so for any night shift!
honest work and rewarding
floor tech (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2015
tis is not a place to have a career unless you are in the medical field .while the work is not hard and you do receive your pay on time and the benefits are worth it .the nursing staff is very rude to the support staff .and you really don't have much recourse when it happens . but the staff you actually work with are for the most part nice and work well together .its always rewarding to help the patients and see the get well and head home
Pros
steady pay .help patients .not to much hard work. benefits
Cons
mamangement needs to put in protocols and follow through when employees have problems
Fast passed and stressful but co-workers were family
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  OKSeptember 8, 2015
Things never stayed boring for to long working in the hospital. It could go from slow to overwhelming in a matter of minutes. I learned how to manage my time and take advantage of down time to finish my regular day to day paper work. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers. We were a family and I still stay in contact with them. I worked mid-nights so I never really had to deal with managment. The hardest part of my job was dealing with death of patients.
Run away!
RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 26, 2015
Working with the physicans and residents is great. Good teaching environment, but good nurses show ran away!!! There are a few managers and directors that honestly , you have to wonder how they keep their job or got it in the first place! Examples....extremely high turn over rates in every department. Lack of value or honesty from administration. I mean how can a mother be the supervisor over her daughter in a department? How can the cath lab manager (highly unqualified) continue the clearly psychotic and vindictive behavior, become an "interm director"? Yes, there are several people that are protected all the way up thru administration! Talk to human resources, why they dont care. So if you want to be harrassed, lied to, or put in the situation to be stripped of your license or enjoy being lead by incompetence, you can apply at OU medical. If you value your livelihood and license.... Run away fast!
Pros
Excellent teaching environment
Cons
High turn over . complete disconnect from managers and directors.
Educational environment for new nurses
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 6, 2015
Great learning environment for new nurses, as well as other medical personnel. Plenty of resources and support available from colleagues when needed.
Pros
Teaching facility
Cons
Heavy patient load
Great work place
Medical Assistant, PSR (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2015
Great workplace with my co-workers we work great together its always serious business when necessary and fun and happy times when its the right time.
Staffing RN Agency
Star RN, Staff RN, and Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OkOctober 7, 2015
This job was good but you have to work alternating weekends. The patient acuity is high but you receive excellent experience to become a great safe and effective nurse.
high acuity, poor leadership, teaching facility
Operating Room Circulating Nurse (Former Employee) –  OKAugust 2, 2015
Too much stress at the level 1 trauma center in the state, terrible management, teaching facility, lower pay, too much call, I got my experience and got out.
Pros
level 1 trauma experience pad your resume
Cons
everything else
Loved it.
Registered Nurse- Critical Care (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityMay 25, 2015
Cared for patient with multiple medical problems. This is where I learned my base of nursing. I worked the ICU. Total Care unit. Patient were normally on a ventilator and multiple pressers, We did not have tech to help care for our patients so the RN provided all needs to all patients ADLs. I loved working with my co-workers. my unit had anywhere from 6-12 nurses on duty at one time. We had a 24 bed unit. We all worked well. I learned a lot of critical care thinking in this unit.They hardest art is if you lost a patient un-expectedly . Working with the families and patient weather it was getting the well and out the door to a fresh outlook or maybe the dying process and preparing their loved ones for what comes next. I really enjoyed every aspect of this position.
Pros
loved doing my job, the atmosphere and great learning experience
Cons
high turn over rate
positive working environment but management needs help
Environmental Services/ housekeeper II (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 1, 2015
very nice place to work, management is fair work load is fair. learned to us the clark boost machine. very nice co-workers and the nursing staff is supper. the hardest part of the job is not having always having the department managers work with the housekeeping in floor assignments. the most enjoyable part of the job is hearing how the floor work is appreciated.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
poor managment
Inspirational and purposeful
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 23, 2015
Great leaders and true purpose in your work. Presents many challenges under parent company. Complex processes and financial environment. You know you're a part of something bigger than you and that you are involved in saving lives. Continually asked to do more with less presents challenges that sometimes cannot be overcome. Motivated and driven.
learning all aspects of nursing
REGISTERED NURSE STAFF NURSE PRN CHARGE (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 24, 2015
I enjoying all the aspects of learning and working with a wide range of
patients. I learned everyday. Enjoyed teaching patients on teach care before sending home. The residents and doctors were exceptional to work with. Coworkers all steppe in as needed.
Pros
learning everyday something new none.
Cons
patient to nurse ratio
too much drama
RN Staff/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 1, 2015
12 hour shifts, drug seeking patients, lots of isolation patients.
management would not protect their employees from violent patients. a fellow employee was accused of using drugs but was never tested. oumc turned them in to the board of nursing saying they were doing drugs but they never tested them so how could they know. i know this person and they don't do drugs but oumc almost ruined this nurses career. not a good place to work. too much drama
productive
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 2, 2015
great work place and fun and supportive management.
patients are well pleased and the workers really care about their job
Don't trust the lead anesthesia technician.
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 18, 2014
I worked at OU Medical Center for 5 years,And it's really a great place to get experience,You'll get the education that you need to work in a fast paced trauma center..But the lead technician is not a good person work for when it pertains to working as a team in Anesthesia.And will set you up to get you fired..The nurses are horrible,But the Anesthesia Residents and Attendings are OUTSTANDING!
Pros
great facility, great doctors
Cons
no teamwork, lead anesthesia technician can't be trusted.rarely get time for vactions.
Fast working and learning environment
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  okc, okAugust 21, 2014
So far I enjoy working at OU Medical Center. It is considered a teaching hospital so there are always new residents. At times this can become complicated because the doctors work in teams.

The overall energy is great amongst staff, and everyone works well together.

The hardest part of the job is usually first rounds during nightshift, but the staff is good about checking on one another.

My favorite part about my job is all of the exposure. OU is the only level 1 trauma hospital in the state. Therefore, we get to see it all.
Pros
decent benefits, good management
Cons
heavy workloads, cafeteria is extremely over priced, new residents still have much to learn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OU Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9