OU Medical Center Employee Reviews

honest work and rewarding
floor tech (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2015
tis is not a place to have a career unless you are in the medical field .while the work is not hard and you do receive your pay on time and the benefits are worth it .the nursing staff is very rude to the support staff .and you really don't have much recourse when it happens . but the staff you actually work with are for the most part nice and work well together .its always rewarding to help the patients and see the get well and head home
Pros
steady pay .help patients .not to much hard work. benefits
Cons
mamangement needs to put in protocols and follow through when employees have problems
Busy work enviornment with little support or opportunity to advance !
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 28, 2016
The downtown campus is basically a snake's den, with a very unfriendly and non supportive environment ! It was an unpleasant experience, especially with no compassion to my late wife's last days on Earth, and my desire and compassion to take care of her !! She went tom Heaven before I had to give notice to care for my dying son, barely 2 months after she died. People can be so cruel !!!
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Cruel work and hostile work enviornment
I worked here for 4 years.
RN circulator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 10, 2016
This staff/management will run you to the ground. Make you stay way over your shift without compensation. The pay is no where near competitive. I left and got a $5 raise from another company.. Thier benefits are horrible. Trust me. You don't want to work here. They offer no discount for food in the cafeteria. Always understaffed. You will never see the managers unless you are getting disciplined.
Cons
Great nurses to work with
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2016
Great learning experience, Some of the doctors are awesome. Was able to make own work schedule. The environment was easy going for the most part. There where times that was stressful
Pros
Making own schedule
Cons
Some very long hours
Not a good place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 2, 2015
Before you consider OU Medical Center, look at other area hospitals. This place does not give paid holidays unless you have the PTO to cover said holiday. They give you false hope and management is not all to great. Certain people get away with so much but yet you get told what your doing wrong by someone who knows nothing of anything! I would not recommend this place to anyone! I work in the clinics and my goodness they do not care how will you treat the patient. if the patient has a problem with you, you're just wrong in the situation, no matter what!
Pros
Cons
Management, no paid holidays, no room for advancement, inconsiderate of employees, high turn over
fun and good place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 2, 2016
the doctors were good with the nurse very good place to work got to meet different drug reps it taught me a lot right after I graduated
Pros
lunches from the drug reps
Cons
some nights we would be there until 7-8pm
Busy pharmacy, poor technician pay and busy, stressful work environment
pharmacy technician (Former Employee) –  pharmacyMay 4, 2013
Busy pharmacy with more work than you can finish in an eight hour shift. Benefits are comparable to other facilities, however everything else is inconvenient including having to take a shuttle from the parking area that adds about 45 minutes to the work day. Always short of employees and overtime is never ending. You accrue a lot of time off, but you never get to use it so you have to cash it in at 70% of pay. High employee turnover so you are always training a new employee who will leave in a few months and go to another hospital for more pay and benefits. There are no opportunities for job growth or advancement of pay.
Pros
nice co-workers, good teamwork, great educational experience
Cons
parking, overtime, and they will work you to death
Very inefficient, horrible management
RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 13, 2013
The coworkers are wonderful, but they have absolutely no input on anything. The place is always short staffed and management doesn't care. They would rather work what little staff they have to death than to hire an appropriate number of people. New employees on orientation are always being pushed to do things by themselves, even if it is not safe. The only thing that matters is that there is a warm body to do the job.

The benefits are great. The insurance is the best I've had and the 401K is a 100% match. Insurance isn't a bad price considering everything they pay either. The raises are really bad though. You could be one of the best employees there, but your raise will still be pathetic.

The teaching environment is really nice and most of the doctors are wonderful. Once you get a job there though, don't expect any kind of job advancement at all unless you happen to win the popularity contest and suck up to management.
Pros
insurance, good coworkers
Cons
management, raises, no opportunity for career growth
Fast working and learning environment
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  okc, okAugust 21, 2014
So far I enjoy working at OU Medical Center. It is considered a teaching hospital so there are always new residents. At times this can become complicated because the doctors work in teams.

The overall energy is great amongst staff, and everyone works well together.

The hardest part of the job is usually first rounds during nightshift, but the staff is good about checking on one another.

My favorite part about my job is all of the exposure. OU is the only level 1 trauma hospital in the state. Therefore, we get to see it all.
Pros
decent benefits, good management
Cons
heavy workloads, cafeteria is extremely over priced, new residents still have much to learn
Great place to learn
Radiologic Technologist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 27, 2016
Overall it was a very good place to work. . I was a lead tech and had a wonderful crew who always worked hard to get the job done efficiently.
Pros
Days
Cons
Work holidays
interesting workplace
CNA (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 30, 2012
Everyday required the typical and normal skills of a CNA. It helped me practice my skills and become more comfortable applying them to the residents. The management was ok. They sometimes showed favoritism towards certain employees. My co-workers were friendly and trained well. The challenge was learning how to deal with the family members and to keep the calm and satisfied.I enjoyed spending time with the residents and hearing their stories.
Pros
free lunch, rotating weekends
Cons
no raises
Productive and educational experience
Staff RN- Interventional Radiology (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 25, 2015
Managed patients daily by performing conscious sedation and their pain pre, intra, and post-operatively. I, learned a variety of skills, especially accurate performance of conscious sedation. I was pleased with management and was treated well. I enjoyed my co-workers who were mentors as well. The hardest part of the job was being on-call with a 30 minute response time. The most enjoyable was everything else.
Pros
Great repport with your patients and the physicians.
Cons
Being on-call with a 30 minute reponse time.
Run away!
RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 26, 2015
Working with the physicans and residents is great. Good teaching environment, but good nurses show ran away!!! There are a few managers and directors that honestly , you have to wonder how they keep their job or got it in the first place! Examples....extremely high turn over rates in every department. Lack of value or honesty from administration. I mean how can a mother be the supervisor over her daughter in a department? How can the cath lab manager (highly unqualified) continue the clearly psychotic and vindictive behavior, become an "interm director"? Yes, there are several people that are protected all the way up thru administration! Talk to human resources, why they dont care. So if you want to be harrassed, lied to, or put in the situation to be stripped of your license or enjoy being lead by incompetence, you can apply at OU medical. If you value your livelihood and license.... Run away fast!
Pros
Excellent teaching environment
Cons
High turn over . complete disconnect from managers and directors.
Outpatient Radiology/imaging
Outpatient imaging/Radiology (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City-downtown campusMarch 21, 2013
Horrible...enough said. Backstabbing buddy system. The manager and techs act like 16yr old drama queens. I learned what not to do in imaging there. jobs are limited in OK..so I'm sure at one point in time if u live here, u will work here. Turnover high..the last meeting I heard it was 28%..and they laughed about it. It's a free clinic and niether the techs or director/manager do there job. I wish I could name-names but if u work there you'll learn them quick. If your a female the manager will hit on you, he has many others. And he'll give you special treatment. The Techs will ultimately talk trash on you if they don't like you...or even if they do like you. They have gotten people fired. OU is an at-will company...no reasons to let u go and they show no shame in doing it. There has been technologist that have had face to face yelling with the manager and it was brushed under rug by upper management. Be ware...money horrible and no raises will be given..even if promised to you at time of hire. It's a free for all. The positive is its a freer for all for employees...the manipulate the schedule to get out early with fake pt's, refuse add ons for personal reasons, push there pt's to other centers to help them get out early. Good luck to all :)
Cons
no lunch..but they still push you to clock out
Love working with the public and it's a educational facility.
Patient s (Current Employee) –  ONovember 11, 2015
I've enjoyed working with this company, I'm a people person so I get to meet a lot of different people and this position has taught me a lot about customer service and how to please customer's so it gives your business a reson to keep peolpe returning.
Pros
We get to do payroll deduct for lunches and the cafeteria.
Cons
I have to take a shulttle bus to my car every afternoon.
Excellent company, able to gain a wide variety of work experience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKNovember 10, 2015
Excellent company, able to gain a wide variety of work experience, and you are allowed to do lots of over time through out the year! Need to work weekends? They pay you extra for weekends and more so for any night shift!
If I could give less than 1 star, I would.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  OKC, OkApril 1, 2013
Nurses beware. An RN at OUMC is not in an ordinary employed position, as many of the other people who've reviewing the facility. Working with a license is a whole different story. Being a level 1 trauma hospital in downtown OKC, naturally the patient acuities are higher than some other places. On any given day, you'll have at least one RN call-in (most likely because you'll hate your life working here), and most likely you'll just have to pick up the slack for whoever didn't want to come that day. The staff is overworked, underpaid, managed by people who have ZERO business being in charge of ANYONE, and don't ever open your mouth about any of these things or your butt will be canned so fast your head will spin. I saw this happen in more than one occasion. If working for a "for profit" hospital, with an ultra-high patient acuity (1 patient can often be equal to three), mediocre pay, dim wit management, constant micro-management due to the high-liability environment, then have at it. If you value your license and sanity, stay away! The only pros were several very nice co-workers and the benefits of learning some intense medicine in a teaching hospital. Your nursing skills will suffer due to constantly having to cut corners. Oh, and by the way, staff RNs have to arrive about 40 minutes early to work to catch a "shuttle" to the main building because they are forced to park about a mile away. Omg.
Pros
some nice co-workers, teaching hospital
Cons
constantly understaffed, terrible management, parking, demanding patients, etc, etc.
Fast passed and stressful but co-workers were family
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  OKSeptember 8, 2015
Things never stayed boring for to long working in the hospital. It could go from slow to overwhelming in a matter of minutes. I learned how to manage my time and take advantage of down time to finish my regular day to day paper work. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers. We were a family and I still stay in contact with them. I worked mid-nights so I never really had to deal with managment. The hardest part of my job was dealing with death of patients.
It was a good place to work and learn so much.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 4, 2013
A typical day started at 0645. Typically it was a very fast paced floor. one started with report and assessment of pts. Checked computer for orders and started meds by 0800. Did head totoe assessment on patients while doing medication run. A big part of the medications was providing good pain management. In general it was my goal to check the pts every hour to try to meet their needs
proactively. I learned a lot about stroke care as that field was newer
to me. My coworkers were the best. The hardest part of the job fpr me was the documentation and long hours. I enjoy the interaction with patients and the opportunity to teach them about their health.
Management for the most part was good with good support for the nurses.
Pros
excellent learning environment
Cons
really fast paced, no breaks, difficult even to get to lunch.
Teaching hospital
Dietary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2013
A typical day for me is completing all diet changes, making sure patients request are processed in accordance with dietary guidelines. What I learned is to listen and provide the best customer service to the patients that I service. During my employment at, I observed how management prioritize tasks, managed employees and ensured patients received premium customer service ensuring their need and wants are meet. I enjoyed working together as a team in completing tasks correctly and in a timely manner. The hardest part of my job accepting thing that are beyond my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking a negative situation and turns it into a positive and provides superior customer service.
Pros
good benifis
Cons
no room for advancement

2.8