OU MEDICAL CENTER

OU MEDICAL CENTER United States Employee Reviews

Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2014
OU Medicine is the collaboration among OU Medical Center, The Children's Hospital, OU Medical Center Edmond, OU Physicians, OU Children’s Physicians and the OU Health Sciences Center, which is composed of seven colleges, including the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. Being one of the most comprehensive hospital groups in Oklahoma, this collaborative approach pushes health care forward through cutting-edge research and practice. With the OU Medicine name comes an era of unified visions and goals.
Productive and fun workplace
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee), Edmond, OKFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: discounts on food.
Cons: can't think of one at this moment.
The days go by fast and the culture there is great. It’s like a family. There is always an opportunity to learn something new. The hardest part of the job is trying not to smile.
Big downtown ER
Registered Nurse Emergency Department (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 16, 2014
Very good first job and learning experience. Was in this ER the day of the Oklahoma Bombing and learned some invaluable trauma experience, unfortunately the pay was not competitive.
Learned a tremendous amount of medicine. Great people to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being of service.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: meet lots of people.
Cons: when a patient died.
There was no "typical" day at work. In addition to doing transcription I worked with numerous doctors, both in the departments I worked in and from many other departments. Talked with patients, i.e. a woman whose husband was dying and his father was in denial and his mother distraught. His wife called me many times simply because she had no one else to talk with. I worked with the patients of the doctor that I worked for. I had great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when a very young child, with a brain tumor, died. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patient whose life improved.
Lad Tech
Lab Assistant II (Former Employee), Oklahoma CityJanuary 31, 2014
Cons: 30 min lunch, no bonuses, had to work every holiday, no employee appreciation
I worked the 1045pm to 7am shift. Staff was very grump. Hours between samples too long. No mental stimulation for the job. Limited access to education related material not allowed despite being a biology/chemistry major. Reading of educational material not allowed, but fictional books were. Management was quick to blame staff and took no responsibility for lack of training.
Secure job with reasonable management on the floor I work. Very nice coworkers.
RN at Obstetrical Special Care Unit (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 1, 2013
Taking care of expecting mothers with difficult pregnancies. Work load is very reasonable. Coworkers are supportive as is immediate management on nights. It is a great learning experience for a new nurse. The most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with patients and coworkers. Hardest part of job is schedule (working nights, 2 weekends a month and 24hrs of call a month)
Love the people I work with! Great atmosphere.
Health Unit Coordinator - NICU (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKNovember 15, 2013
Pros: we always got a 30 minute lunch break.
Cons: very underappreciated and under paid for how much work we would put in as a team.
A typical day as a Health Unit Coordinator in the NICU consisted of many things! All of which are listed on my resume.
I have learned a lot from this job. Things such as how to deal with threatening situations to dealing with comforting families in need. I have learned more than I ever thought I would about xerox machines and how to repair them! The list of things I have learned here could go on for days.
The management always varied..it seemed to change every six months which I believe is not a good way to keep up with a good work enviornment, but they did the best they could!
I loved my co-workers. A lot of easy going people that I got along with wonderfully.
I would have to say the hardest part of my job was dealing with the new managers that did not understand our position and it is very hard to work at a place that makes you feel you are not useful when I know I am very helpful to all of the nurses because they made sure to tell me everyday!
That was one of the most enjoyable part of my job! Knowing that I contribute to a great thing and the nurses knowing too!
People working together for an over-all goal
AUA (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKOctober 29, 2013
Pros: great team work
Cons: long hours
What I remember the most about OU Medical Center is the team work. Everyone always worked together for the greater good of the patient ... its sad that this seems to be a dyeing art.
Coworkers felt like family. Really enjoyed the work it was different each day.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: very interesting every day
Cons: some really late nights
Each day was different. We had the area divided in 3 different areas. You never knew each day till you got there which area you would work in. I often worked in the Cardiology area because I was rated to pull cardiac sheaths. I worked with Nephrology pt after neph tubes were placed or changed. Many different diagnostic procedure pt.s and GI patient after more complicated procedures like stent placement to liver and choley areas.
I was offered early retirement because of need to reduce staff. I took that but find I need to go back to work.
It was a good place to work and learn so much.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: excellent learning environment
Cons: really fast paced, no breaks, difficult even to get to lunch.
A typical day started at 0645. Typically it was a very fast paced floor. one started with report and assessment of pts. Checked computer for orders and started meds by 0800. Did head totoe assessment on patients while doing medication run. A big part of the medications was providing good pain management. In general it was my goal to check the pts every hour to try to meet their needs
proactively. I learned a lot about stroke care as that field was newer
to me. My coworkers were the best. The hardest part of the job fpr me was the documentation and long hours. I enjoy the interaction with patients and the opportunity to teach them about their health.
Management for the most part was good with good support for the nurses.
A nice place to work-very good learning hospital
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaAugust 27, 2013
I worked at OU right out of school and it was one of the best places because you see such varying cases from day to day. My department (Respiratory) was very good about working around what kind of schedule I needed (long commute and new mom) and also very supportive about giving me a place and adequate time for pumping (again, new mom). If we were to move back to that area I would definitely consider working there again. However, heads up it is a VERY busy hospital and you will have a big workload. For this reason, they have a very high turnover rate and so the shifts were often short a couple people at least. To make up for it though, everyone is really great about helping their peers and always available to answer any questions you might have!
productive, learning environment
Registered Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 4, 2013
Pros: learn a lot
this is a very good place to learn new things and learn to pace yourself. You get to see new things that you may not see at other hospitals.
Excellent learning environment
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2013
Very rewarding job. Helpful co-workers. Various types of patients.
great place where I gained most of my experience
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 3, 2013
Pros: helping deliver babies
Cons: high stress
I did c-sections in a high-risk labor and delivery department. I learned most of my scrub tech skills from L&D which included c-sections, tubals, c-hysts, and D&C's.

Management was easy to work with. My co-workers were very skilled and I learned a lot from them.

The hardest part was that it was very labor-intensive and stressful. The most enjoyable part was bringing new life into the world.
They don't listen to their managers
Executive Chef - Purchasing (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 1, 2013
Cons: long days few days off
Company is ok to work for but their upper management sucks. They have no clue what is going on and take the work of others and not find out for their self.

This is a Sodexo unit not OU med
RN
RN (Former Employee), Center, OKJune 28, 2013
I worked at OU for many years. Devoted most of my family life and believed management when they said they wanted to move me up in the company. However this was untrue. And all was backstabbing in the longrun. There are many late nights, endless phone calls and feelings that you are being watched by managment. Management is consistent throughout the system and will give you false promises.
High paced, Exciting
Radiologic Tech II (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 16, 2013
High paced, busy hospital. Lots of trauma, great place to gain experience.
Busy pharmacy, poor technician pay and busy, stressful work environment
pharmacy technician (Former Employee), pharmacyMay 4, 2013
Pros: nice co-workers, good teamwork, great educational experience
Cons: parking, overtime, and they will work you to death
Busy pharmacy with more work than you can finish in an eight hour shift. Benefits are comparable to other facilities, however everything else is inconvenient including having to take a shuttle from the parking area that adds about 45 minutes to the work day. Always short of employees and overtime is never ending. You accrue a lot of time off, but you never get to use it so you have to cash it in at 70% of pay. High employee turnover so you are always training a new employee who will leave in a few months and go to another hospital for more pay and benefits. There are no opportunities for job growth or advancement of pay.
Busy Hospital
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee), Edmond, OKMay 1, 2013
Pros: scheduling, overtime, good co-workers.
Cons: lots of evertimes
OU medical center is a busy hospital, at OU Edmond we have great group of nurses and doctors, we work together to get things done in a timely manner.
Productive workplace
Registrar (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 1, 2013
Cons: short breaks
The job is only as hard as you make it out to be. Everyone has a job to do and when someone is slacking and others have to pick up that slack, it makes it hard on them.

About OU MEDICAL CENTER

OU Medicine is the collaboration among OU Medical Center, The Children's Hospital, OU Medical Center Edmond, OU Physicians, OU – Read more

OU MEDICAL CENTER Salaries