OU Medical Center Employee Reviews

Loved it.
Registered Nurse- Critical Care (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityMay 25, 2015
Cared for patient with multiple medical problems. This is where I learned my base of nursing. I worked the ICU. Total Care unit. Patient were normally on a ventilator and multiple pressers, We did not have tech to help care for our patients so the RN provided all needs to all patients ADLs. I loved working with my co-workers. my unit had anywhere from 6-12 nurses on duty at one time. We had a 24 bed unit. We all worked well. I learned a lot of critical care thinking in this unit.They hardest art is if you lost a patient un-expectedly . Working with the families and patient weather it was getting the well and out the door to a fresh outlook or maybe the dying process and preparing their loved ones for what comes next. I really enjoyed every aspect of this position.
Pros
loved doing my job, the atmosphere and great learning experience
Cons
high turn over rate
high acuity, poor leadership, teaching facility
Operating Room Circulating Nurse (Former Employee) –  OKAugust 2, 2015
Too much stress at the level 1 trauma center in the state, terrible management, teaching facility, lower pay, too much call, I got my experience and got out.
Pros
level 1 trauma experience pad your resume
Cons
everything else
too much drama
RN Staff/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 1, 2015
12 hour shifts, drug seeking patients, lots of isolation patients.
management would not protect their employees from violent patients. a fellow employee was accused of using drugs but was never tested. oumc turned them in to the board of nursing saying they were doing drugs but they never tested them so how could they know. i know this person and they don't do drugs but oumc almost ruined this nurses career. not a good place to work. too much drama
Don't trust the lead anesthesia technician.
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 18, 2014
I worked at OU Medical Center for 5 years,And it's really a great place to get experience,You'll get the education that you need to work in a fast paced trauma center..But the lead technician is not a good person work for when it pertains to working as a team in Anesthesia.And will set you up to get you fired..The nurses are horrible,But the Anesthesia Residents and Attendings are OUTSTANDING!
Pros
Great Facility, Great Doctors
Cons
No Teamwork, Lead Anesthesia Technician can't be trusted.Rarely get time for vactions.
Staffing RN Agency
Star RN, Staff RN, and Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OkOctober 7, 2015
This job was good but you have to work alternating weekends. The patient acuity is high but you receive excellent experience to become a great safe and effective nurse.
Great work place
Medical Assistant, PSR (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2015
Great workplace with my co-workers we work great together its always serious business when necessary and fun and happy times when its the right time.
Inspirational and purposeful
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 23, 2015
Great leaders and true purpose in your work. Presents many challenges under parent company. Complex processes and financial environment. You know you're a part of something bigger than you and that you are involved in saving lives. Continually asked to do more with less presents challenges that sometimes cannot be overcome. Motivated and driven.
learning all aspects of nursing
REGISTERED NURSE STAFF NURSE PRN CHARGE (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 24, 2015
I enjoying all the aspects of learning and working with a wide range of
patients. I learned everyday. Enjoyed teaching patients on teach care before sending home. The residents and doctors were exceptional to work with. Coworkers all steppe in as needed.
Pros
learning everyday something new none.
Cons
patient to nurse ratio
Fast working and learning environment
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  okc, okAugust 21, 2014
So far I enjoy working at OU Medical Center. It is considered a teaching hospital so there are always new residents. At times this can become complicated because the doctors work in teams.

The overall energy is great amongst staff, and everyone works well together.

The hardest part of the job is usually first rounds during nightshift, but the staff is good about checking on one another.

My favorite part about my job is all of the exposure. OU is the only level 1 trauma hospital in the state. Therefore, we get to see it all.
Pros
decent benefits, good management
Cons
heavy workloads, cafeteria is extremely over priced, new residents still have much to learn
A skilled professional with experience in a diverse group of fields seeking long term employment with a
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 16, 2014
Very busy on a daily, fast paced, its the emergency room so its a challege each day. My co-workers are a great team to work with, we love to help each other as much as we can to keep our staff and customers satisfied. I've learned everything I need to be professional at anything I do to be a successful employer to any and every company in my community. The thing im love most about my job is pleasing the customer and taking care of them and getting them well to go home satisfied and willing to come back and see Ou Medical Center.
Horrible
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityApril 10, 2014
One of the worst pharmacy tech positions. The pay is terrible compared to other pharmacy tech jobs. Employees are required to park a mile away and take a shuttle to work. This is the only place where you can be 15- 20 minutes early and still get to work late. Expect to lose 45 minutes a day due to this nuisance. Pharmacy has high turnover which is not surprising. They will work you to death. Scheduling is poor. Pay is poor. Job quality is poor. Apply elsewhere or you'll be poor.
Pros
Cons
Parking, poor pay, no employee appreciation, rude nurses, breaks not guaranteed.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2014
OU Medicine is the collaboration among OU Medical Center, The Children's Hospital, OU Medical Center Edmond, OU Physicians, OU Children’s Physicians and the OU Health Sciences Center, which is composed of seven colleges, including the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. Being one of the most comprehensive hospital groups in Oklahoma, this collaborative approach pushes health care forward through cutting-edge research and practice. With the OU Medicine name comes an era of unified visions and goals.
Secure job with reasonable management on the floor I work. Very nice coworkers.
RN at Obstetrical Special Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 1, 2013
Taking care of expecting mothers with difficult pregnancies. Work load is very reasonable. Coworkers are supportive as is immediate management on nights. It is a great learning experience for a new nurse. The most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with patients and coworkers. Hardest part of job is schedule (working nights, 2 weekends a month and 24hrs of call a month)
Lad Tech
Lab Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityJanuary 31, 2014
I worked the 1045pm to 7am shift. Staff was very grump. Hours between samples too long. No mental stimulation for the job. Limited access to education related material not allowed despite being a biology/chemistry major. Reading of educational material not allowed, but fictional books were. Management was quick to blame staff and took no responsibility for lack of training.
Pros
Cons
30 min lunch, no bonuses, had to work every holiday, no employee appreciation
interesting workplace
CNA (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 30, 2012
Everyday required the typical and normal skills of a CNA. It helped me practice my skills and become more comfortable applying them to the residents. The management was ok. They sometimes showed favoritism towards certain employees. My co-workers were friendly and trained well. The challenge was learning how to deal with the family members and to keep the calm and satisfied.I enjoyed spending time with the residents and hearing their stories.
Pros
free lunch, rotating weekends
Cons
no raises
lack of professionalism and effort from co-workers
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2013
I worked in the OR as a supply tech and the job itself was incredibly easy. However, there were entirely too many chiefs and not enough indians, too much gossip, and an overall lack of professionalism from co-workers. To sum it up, it is an OK place to work if earning a paycheck is the only objective because the job is easy, but I would not recommend this job to anyone if working with numskulls on a daily basis irritates you.
Pros
easy, simple, lots of downtime
Cons
gossip, inconsistent management, unprofessional co-workers
Excellent trauma center
Respiratory Therapist (RRT/CRT) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, Ok.April 17, 2013
Extremely busy hospital, being the only Level 1 Trauma Center in Oklahoma. Never a dull moment, always on the move and always something new to keep you on your toes. I love my coworkers, they definitely help me get through the tough nights. The things I see that I wont see anywhere else, and the experiences that I get make OU Med Center a desirable place to work.
Pros
coworkers, overtime opportunities, advancement opportunities
Cons
cafeteria not open 24hrs, heavy workload-only the tough survive!
Great teaching facility
Registered Nurse Supervisor-Women's Services (Current Employee) –  Okc, OKApril 23, 2013
I've worked for OU Medical Center for 15 years and just recently decided to look elsewhere for employment.
I've served as a staff RN and a Supervisor in Women's and Newborn Services.
It is the perfect place to work when first out of nursing school as the diversity of patients and experiences are priceless.
The con to working here is it is an extremely busy hospital and can be overwhelming at times.
Pros
teaching/learning opportunities
Cons
busy and understaffed
great place where I gained most of my experience
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 3, 2013
I did c-sections in a high-risk labor and delivery department. I learned most of my scrub tech skills from L&D which included c-sections, tubals, c-hysts, and D&C's.

Management was easy to work with. My co-workers were very skilled and I learned a lot from them.

The hardest part was that it was very labor-intensive and stressful. The most enjoyable part was bringing new life into the world.
Pros
helping deliver babies
Cons
high stress
Coworkers felt like family. Really enjoyed the work it was different each day.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2013
Each day was different. We had the area divided in 3 different areas. You never knew each day till you got there which area you would work in. I often worked in the Cardiology area because I was rated to pull cardiac sheaths. I worked with Nephrology pt after neph tubes were placed or changed. Many different diagnostic procedure pt.s and GI patient after more complicated procedures like stent placement to liver and choley areas.
I was offered early retirement because of need to reduce staff. I took that but find I need to go back to work.
Pros
very interesting every day
Cons
some really late nights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OU Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9