Our Lady of the Lake University Employee Reviews

Great university
Adjunct Professor & Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2017
I enjoyed part time work there. Great environment and staff support. The campus needs additional resources and security. Great educational opportunities in a questionable part of town.
Working out with professionals athletes
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 2, 2017
Most people want to go the distance to reach their goals to play professional. As for me I love to train and work with individuals that want to go all the way, and I love making new friends and family.
Pros
Sports and Workouts
Cons
Tennis and Football
Fast pace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 12, 2017
Assist with daily activities, escort to church, entertainments and celebrations. Very interesting caring for the Sisters and spending time listening to educational conversations
Tutor
Math SAT/Research Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2017
Great school and place to work study. Had many opportunities to gain skills in communication, decision making and creativity. Furthermore has given me networks that will last for many years
Best for Secondary Income earners
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
A typical Day at work was good. Faculty and Staff were friendly. Management was Friendly. Workplace Culture was average. Overall this organization had good job flexibility, above average political strife within departments and between departments. Expensive benefits with horrible benefits management company. Below average salary. The hardest part of the job was working on a very lean team, not enough people to keep up with projects and day to day tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people on my direct team.
Pros
Flexible Work/Life balance; People are friendly
Cons
Below average Pay; Expensive benefits; Institution location not the best
Fun, employers were nice, gave me a great outlook on real world experience
Help Desk Management (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
We were in charge of handling all computers on the university network. The enviroment was friendly and gave me a great opportunity to use the knowledge I gained in class in a real world enviroment.
Pros
great job for a college student, good networking opportunities
Cons
not enough hours
Learning experience
Marketing Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2017
Work schedule was very flexible. The management was very helpful with assisting with any problems. There was a lot to take from the job, as the position incorporated a variety of skills.
Pros
Very helpful staff
Great Job!
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 28, 2017
It does get stressing organizing events and fundraisers, but it is so much fun and rewarding. It helps me be a multi-tasker. This job also helps me network and speak with other professors.
University atmosphere
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 24, 2017
It is a very diverse and very hip place to work. If you have the right team and the right management supporting you, you will enjoy going to work everyday.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Bad bosses
Front Desk
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2017
Working at Casa Carritas as a work study was the best part of my college experience. Institutional Advancement helped me understand so many concepts of the work field. A typical day at work was to answer all phone calls and direct people to their proper locations. I learned how to organize myself and stay focused in school. My co-workers were very professional and understanding with my school schedule. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with all the events that our office took part in. The most enjoyable part of the job was to have met wonderful people that motivated me to do better.
Pros
I got to do school work at the office.
Cons
I didn't get paid as much as I would of wanted.
nice clean environment to work wih
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 29, 2016
worked with computer science professors who would guide the work studies in daily tasks. very helpful and informative. although i was a work study i got a lot out of the job.
Great
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 21, 2016
Great place and environment to position yourself in. Young business individuals would love the environment and the opportunity Our Lady of the Lake can provide.
Student accounts specialist in student business office
Student Accounts Specialist-Receivables/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2016
The management here is very disconnected and unprofessional in many ways, for example being talked to condescending or talked down if you are not a assistant director or director. The Student account analyst was young and unprofessional. The other student account specialist were very helpful and understanding to needs. Other departments coming in always had an issue with upper management in the student business office and never had anything nice to say about them. Preferably I wouldn't recommend this department as upper management does and says as they please. The at times free breakfast was a perk and speaking with other department employees and students was a great experience to interact with those people. If you are ok with working with management who always complain, cry and have no considerations of your personal life then go ahead and work here. As of student workers and my fellow employees who did the same job they're amazing and helped me learn more than management.
Pros
free food
Cons
management, lack of training
Ollu
Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning (Current Employee) –  OLLUJuly 31, 2016
The best place I have ever worked. Supportive, room for advancement, and encourages life-long learning. As with any job, you get out of it what you put into it.
Pros
support, work/life balalnce
Cons
insurance for spouse and family is outrageously expensive.
Fun work place
Phonothon caller (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 19, 2016
As soon as I got to the call center each of us got our phones and computers set up for the day. Each computer had a system of alumni who had attended Ollu at different times. Everyday I would call as many people as I could. Through the call I would Call Ollu alumni and secure updated contact information. I would kindly ask for donations to support the Universities fund for student scholarships and academic programs. One of the toughest things that I had to experience were the unkind phone calls. Some would yell or just hang up. My supervisor and my co-workers would always help me get through a tough call. My supervisor was very understanding when I asked for help or if there were any changes in my work schedule. I learned that working as a team can really help get the job done. My co-workers and my supervisor was what made my job enjoyable.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work
LIGHT AND SOUND TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 9, 2016
The job as work study is a part time job. A day at work basically assist the manager of the building to arrange equipment use of the Lighting and sound system to anywhere from university events or San Antonio events
Flexible Workplace but subpar compensation
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 28, 2016
The work environment is very flexible and takes into account the multiple responsibility of a worker. If I need to take time off for an appointment for my daughter, my supervisor will accommodate me. Most people are friendly. Upper management seem to be disconnected from the staff and faculty. Pay is under the average for the city and the health benefits, although good, are very expensive.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Low pay
Great Work Place
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 18, 2016
I loved working at Our Lady of the Lake University. I was a place where your co-workers became family members. Everyone cared about how you did personally and what was going on in your life. My supervisors where very understanding and flexible with everyone.
Working With Talents
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 25, 2016
Peers are very talented in their areas of study. Work every other weekend. The only thing missing is the support for adjuncts, especially on weekends.
Management Issues
Administration (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 21, 2016
I have worked in higher education for several years so being that I was previously affiliated with the university, I was very excited to begin employment at OLLU. My experience was not the best and the caliber of professionalism at the University by upper administration was questionable. Training on leadership and just basically following the mission of the university is very necessary for supervisors responsible for managing various offices. The salary was not competitive with other neighboring universities and unfortunately, favoritism was very evident among certain departments. The human resources department was not easy to work with and also very lacking in professionalism and experience. I was extremely disappointed and I do not recommend this university if you have worked and a university for a number of years. You will be disappointed.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and qualified leaders in specific departments
Cons
Not all people in leadership positions are qualified and the health benefits are not worth the money