Outback Steakhouse Employee Reviews

Found 1,858 reviews matching the search
Fast Paced and Fun!
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 27, 2016
A typical day at work requires you to be prepared for a busy night and to be ready for whatever conflicts arise. I learned a lot from working in the Restaurant business such as; be on top of everything, know the ins and outs of the menu as well as the restaurant, create relationships with the customers as well as your coworkers. The best part about working in the restaurant business is the family that it brings- it brings so many people together and strengthens relationships.
Fun place to work
Managing Partner Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 28, 2016
Precisely maintain Profit & Loss Statements (P&L) monthly and execute plans to cut costs and increase revenue
Slashed food costs by 2%, while maintaining excellent service and profit levels
Skillfully controlled labor cost within company norms
Clearly and promptly communicated pertinent information to staff, such as new company initiatives
Actively recognized and acknowledged outstanding staff performance to enhance morale and productivity
Interacted positively with customers while promoting the Outback brand
Achieved Customer Satisfaction index of 82%
A fun, high energy, team building work environment.
Server/Headwait/Trainer/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work includes being accountable for multiple customers at one time, and making sure that everyone is properly taken care of. Being a server at Outback Steakhouse also includes doing your part every shift by restocking and making sure your coworkers know that they can rely on you for any assistance they may need.
Pros
Determining income based on how hard you work, developing relationships with returning customers.
Cons
If the whole team is not working together, that can lead to a stressful work environment.
Great company
Server, Hourly Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelby Twp, MINovember 27, 2016
Easy work load if you like fast paced dinning. Restaurants are very clean, management tends to be very hands on and easy going, relatively low turn over. Staff can be a little clicky especially if there are a lot of "old school" team members at a location. Benefits are decent. Hardest part: being able to tell a customer no for unreasonable requests when our policy is "No Rules Just Right"
Easiest part:Teamwork, most stores tend to include that in the training.
Great place to work. Relaxed but professional atmosphere, very flexible with schedulingand wonderful co-workers!
Server (Current Employee) –  Queensbury, NYNovember 29, 2016
Outback Steakhouse is a great place to work mainly due to our staff. We are a family not just a job! We partake in many community/charitable events and have employee events outside of work as well. Everyone is helpful. Teamwork is first and foremost. Best place i've ever worked! The only hard part is slow season hurts financially but unpredictable tipping comes with the territory as a server.
Pros
Employee/family discounts
Cons
Slow season and mandatory doctors note if call in sick even just one day
Productive, fast pace, good pay
Waitress/Server (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GANovember 4, 2016
I love my job, the people I work with are amazing, supportive, full of amity and selflessness. I left originally because I was driving 25 miles to get there, but I went back and Joe(my manager) gave me my job back without question. He really has been just amazing in working with my schedule. I wouldn't trade it for most anything. The work there is very fast paced, based on keeping the customer happy, ensuring the food comes out correctly and efficiently.
Pros
50 percent off
Cons
No benefits
I Love steak good enough for me
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 7, 2016
All n all had fun, most of my co-workers i loved to death and would help them out at any time and plus its steak whats not to like. I wish they would have gave me a slight raise considering no one truly liked the dish tank long enough to either keep it running smoothly, or give me an entire 2 days off peacefully. (other dishwashers made it tough)
Pros
fun environment, good people, awesome food
Cons
sketchy management (at my location), short breaks
People are great, company not so much.
togo server (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VANovember 29, 2016
A typical day at work includes answering phones and waiting tables. running other people's food. Greeting guests while the host eats.

I have learned a lot from the company, and the people I work for are great. But, they have no control over their staff which makes my life 1000x's harder. Co-workers are good people, but definitely out for themselves.

The hardest part of the job is being grossly underpaid. The togo side make 2.13/hr plus tips. and put all the sub par people in there. I have been paid anywhere from $9-11/hr for the same job -non-curbside plus tips by EVERY other company I have applied to.

The customers are the best part. I have some pretty great regulars.
Pros
50% employee discounts
Cons
no breaks. Pretty much ever.
Productive, friendly
Busboy/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Union Gap, WAOctober 28, 2016
A typical day would consist of bussing tables, cleaning what need to be clean (tables, stools, head lamps, etc.). Management was super friendly, kind, and they look out for there employees as if they were family. The co-workers were kind, and welcoming made somebody fell as if they were family. Hardest part I would say was being alone during rush and getting backed up in the dishes. most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people.
Pros
Took home any food that was left over after the work dat being soup, or bread.
Cons
Short breaks.
in-house promotion wasn't what it should be
BUSSER (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLOctober 27, 2016
Worked here for my first job, loved it. Left for better opportunity, I started as a Busser and wanted to serve very badly. I knew I had the potential, I lived with an outback server so we'd do quizzes on the menu and whatnot. I asked at least 3 times a week about what I should do to become a server. They told me to learn the menu, which I've already been working on. Once I finished learning my menu knowledge I let them know that I was ready, and I never heard anything after that.
Pros
Great people, good food
Cons
lacking in-house promotion
Best Company Ever
Hostess/Server/Bartender/FOH Trainer/Office Amin (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 18, 2016
This company provided the best training I have ever received. I felt very appreciated and respected by not only my co workers but by the management team at all times. Any issues that came up were quickly taken care of and in a professional manner. I havent worked for this company in many many years but I still feel like once an OUTBACKER ALWAYS AN OUTBACKER!
Pros
Food discount at all OSI concepts, great money, and the teamwork is top notch
Cons
None to speak of
Ridiculous Hiring Process For Outside Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 7, 2016
Overall, I went on three interviews, took a tour of the building and observed for an hour. Had three more phone conversations and was reminded throughout the whole process that outside managers don't stay very long. Okay thanks for sharing right? To top it off it takes 3-5 years as an assistant manager to even be able to move up and you have to buy in at $5,000 to become a partner for five years. Weirdest structure of managementive I've ever seen. In all I still never received an offer even though they said they were interested in me. This whole process took over a month. Completely a waste of time!
Pros
They care about their food.
Cons
They don't care about you.
Chaotic workplace with no structure.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJOctober 24, 2016
For a prestigious restaurant, Outback Steakhouse really was a bit delayed. With the preparations to the employees, everything was dysfunctional & off the wall. Management was way too laid back yet angry if things went wrong. No communication nor training with new employees. The most enjoyable part had to be the free dinners.
Pros
Free Dinners
Cons
No breaks, Employee differences, Manager showing favoritism
Fast paced environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 6, 2016
A typical day at work consists of about 8 hours of work unless working a double then its about 12 hours. I've learned how to multitask, anticipate peoples needs and thrive under pressure. Management I cant speak too because we've gone through so many managers. I have very hard working co-workers who like to help out and have your back if you need it. Hardest part of the job for me is being short staffed. Most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of customers and ensuring they have a great dining experience.
Great 2nd job
Wait staff (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 5, 2016
Primarily busy for dinner and typical shift would be 4-7 hours making a minimum of $100 cash a day. Worked there in high school and college and were flexible with scheduling. Management has a lot of pressure placed on numbers being a corporate restaurant with high brand image to represent so sometimes back end work can be tedious but at the end of the day not hard at all.

Being a waiter, you need to enjoy talking with people and bring a high level of customer service...comes with any service indusry job. If you bring positive energy and care about your customer service, it is easy to make decent money.
Pros
flexibility, fast paced environment
Cons
None I can think of
Outback is a friendly family enviroment and a great atmosphere where you can relax and enjoy quality time with friends and family.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 13, 2016
I am very happy to be an employee at Outback Steakhouse where you can advance and grow. It's a business that is very fast paced and busy. It has top quality food and more is always being added to the menu. I would recommend anyone to dine at any Outback to get a great experience of the delicious food made and served.
Productive and Fun place to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Chicagoland Area, ILOctober 15, 2016
I have been active in the food industry since the age of 16. I started working at McDonalds and progressed to volunteer catering and food service at my university. Unfortunately, until I turned 21, I was unable to work in the restaurant industry but I have many friends and family whose worked in the food industry for a long time and overhearing their talks about the money, their stories and experience has always sparked an interest. However, I am grateful for the staff and management for making, what most would consider, a stressful job, easy as possible. The family-like feeling and the support received makes it hard to cut ties with such a wonderful employer.
Pros
wonderful staff, half off employee meals and discount to families, management cares
Cons
n/a
good balanced place to work and build a work ethic
Cook/Server/Host/Dishwasher/Preper (Current Employee) –  Wappingers Falls, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Outback Steak house is a great job to have you'll meet a lot of great people and learn a lot about food and how a restaurant should run. Management is good I've actually worked for a training store. where I've trained a lot of managers on how to cook their product. Hardest part about this job is it can sometimes get too repetitive. If you serve sometimes you will deal with some nasty people
Fun, Laid-Back Work Environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 22, 2016
Getting into the swing of serving with Outback Steakhouse was easy and quick. The staff and management make you feel welcome and make sure you can handle yourself as a server who knows the menu. With thorough testing of menu items, new and old, the team at Outback makes sure you are prepared as an incoming server. The hardest part of the job is the multi-tasking that comes with being a server, however the staff and management here will help ease you into this if you don't have prior experience. I couldn't ask for a more laid-back environment to serve in where I can really get to know the guests at my table in order to ensure a memorable and pleasant dining experience.
Fun and productive workplace
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 18, 2016
I love working at Outback, I've been there for almost 4 years now. I love all of my coworkers and my managers. I wouldn't want any other job to be my first. Outback has had such a positive impact on my life and I don't regret a single thing that Ive done since working there. Its easy to get promoted as long as you do whats expected of you. I started at the bottom ( host ) and worked my way up as far as I can go as of now. Working with customers is enjoyable and also one of the hardest part of my job. I always work hard to keep a smile on my face and keep a good attitude even when my day is bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Outback Steakhouse. Our community is ready to answer.