Outerwall Employee Reviews

Great work environment
Electronics/Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 9, 2017
I loved working there everyday with the people and workplace. Would have loved to have stayed, but company was bought out and our shop was closed down to move elsewhere.
Fun Place to work
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAMay 16, 2017
Managers and Supervisors work close with other customer Service rep and are always willing to help. Other colleges and are always willing to answer questions and help with task that may come.
Pros
free soda pop, coffee, tea and snacks, and game room to use computer or watch tv
Cons
3/4 of the year call volume always high
Enjoyed
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 14, 2017
While at Outerwall, I learned more accounting, treasury and human resource skills. Learning to partner and be inclusive was a key factor to the payroll departments success.
Pros
good culture
Cons
favortism
Come work in the swamp.
Senior Director, Global Supply Chain, August (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 2, 2017
a typical day is spent working hard on legacy technology.

I learned that most of the executives lack necessary courage to take necessary risks to grow the business.

each department has its own culture. Some are in need of new leaders, while others are wholly competent.

The remaining Coinstar president is a fantastic leader.
Pros
few
Cons
too many to list
Exceptionally laid back environment
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 4, 2017
I was very pleased to work here. You make your own hours, literally. There is no 9-5 or 7-3. If you feel like you can get the work done in 4 hours today, by all means do so. You can take off whenever you feel you need to do so. I personally encountered a bad manager new-hire (which is I chose to leave). Upper management even reaches out from time to time just to say "wassup!" and chat. All in all, I highly recommend any and everyone to seek employment whenever it's available.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
Gets busy in the summer and christmas
was a good place to work
Corp Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 11, 2017
Recent acquisition negatively changed culture and leadership. The Outerwall era (2011 -2014) was an amzing time with a very diverse and inclusive culture with high employee engagement
Overall a good place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 6, 2017
Work life balance was great. Flexible work environment and great people to work with. I had the opportunity to work with several groups across the company and without exception the attitude of the people was great.
Pros
Flexible work environment
Good Company
Registration Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILOctober 30, 2016
Many changes... many lay off's.... Good company, good benefits, and nice co- workers. 2 lay office within a year and the company was sold.
Great Culture
Director Loss Prevention, EH&S (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 24, 2016
Loved my time at Outerwall. My job was dynamic and diverse. I built a world-class team who could drive a best-in-class Asset protection function in any organization
Long Term Potential in Question
Director (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook Terrace, ILSeptember 1, 2016
Company was a good place to work, but due to the decline of Redbox the long term viability is questionable. Individual teams worked together well, but walls between divisions made progress slow.
Outerwall was a great place to work.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 29, 2016
Great people, the work was enjoyable and I learned so much about payroll and the company. The people were the most enjoyable part of each day. The company currently was sold so security of a job position is unsure as of now. I would go back to work there in a minute if anything came available and I knew it was going to be long term.
Pros
People, free snacks, beautiful business park
A Stepping Stone
Electronics Process Lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 28, 2016
The people make the environment bearable. Higher management has issues relating or coming into contact with employees. It's your typical office job or warehouse job mixed in a with a few good daily moments because the people are great. Hardest part of the job is the monotony. The most enjoyable part is getting to know the people working with you. I learned that this is not the place to move up in your career, but a stepping stone for better opportunities. Strides are being made to make the company more profitable and time will tell if this is what the company needs to survive, and if its employees will continue the work and vision started by its creators.
Pros
Culture of hard work and very much like a family.
Cons
Working from the bottom to the top is virtually unattainable from hard work alone.
Great company to work
Security (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 14, 2016
Outerwall offer great opportunity within the technology industry to working professionals. The company hold many entertainment and fundraising gatherings.
Machine Support Supervisor
Machine Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMay 25, 2016
Manage the day to day operations and activities within the Machine Support Call Center for Redbox / OuterWall. Responsible for up to 15 direct reports in such activities as remote technical trouble shooting, internal customer service, project management, coaching, employee development, and call center metrics
Redbox
Social Media Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMay 16, 2016
the culture and the people make you want to go into the office everyday.

When it was Redbox everything was rapidly growing and change was consistent. Today the company is slowly shifting gears to focus on the future of Outerwall.
Pros
people
Cons
Elt
Outerwall corp. growth and changes
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 24, 2016
In my 15 years here, it was for the most part a very enjoyable environment and culture. The company went through a lot of changes over the past 4 years and went very corp. and very impersonal. The enjoyable part for tha past 4 years has been my job itself, and my beloved co workers who made it all worth it each day.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too corparate and impersonal
Great company culture with lots of internal training available
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WA 98004March 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. They have a very inclusive company culture, and work to be a part of the communities that they work in. The benefits package while I was there was right up there for the industry, and they offered lots of other perks, such as a wellness program. They have several Business Resource Groups that you can be a part of, that offer many different types of volunteer opportunities, as well as opportunities to develop leadership skills.
Pros
Peachd lunch delivery available, walking trails, kayak and bike use available, great people, Business Resource Groups
Cons
The commute, not sure what direction the company is going in now.
Great people to work with, very good benefits package
NOC Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working at Outerwall, and I hope to reapply when another qualifying position opens up. My position was eliminated after some corporate restructuring. The company is really nice to work for, and I immediately became friends with all my coworkers. The company culture is outstanding as well.
Words cannot describe...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAMarch 3, 2016
I have to be honest by stating first and fore most that I liked my job; I told friends and family that I liked my job, and I truely did. However I started to resent my job once limitations began being placed on me, even though I assisted in accomplishing so much. When I finally seperated from Outerwall, about all I was allowed to do with interact with customers and that was it. If I did anything else, I risked getting fired.

Pasco Call Center is a site of people that have no idea what they are doing and think they are doing really well. In truth, it can't even be defined as controlled chaos. Supervisors all have different standards - people can be late on one team, but not on another without getting warnings. "Specilists" (CSS's) hardly know what they are talking about half the time.

At least in 2015 there was no communication between OBT (Redbox HQ) and Pasco, so customers would contact about a promo going on and reps would be scratching thier heads trying to figure out anything they could, and generally coming up with nothing. In late 2015/early 2016 this may have changed but doubtful.

The 3rd party used for calls for Redbox will do whatever they want, regardless of policy and procedure so when they talk to Pasco after, Pasco becomes the bad guy.

As stated by another reviewer, managment will lie to you. They will tell you one thing that do another without any concern or care.

There is also very high levels of favortism. So much that if you are one of their favorits, you will get promoted and chances that no one else is, no matter what anyone says
  more... or what the favorite might do (example stealing).

Conflict resolution in Pasco is actually rather funny to watch. Person A reports something about Person B, and it goes through 3 different people before B hears anything about it. The idea of a face to face between A and B is out of the question, they would rather waste time and effort playing telephone.

Summary: Outerwall is a good place to work if you love drama and don't care about helping people. If anyone in Bellevue cared about Pasco Call Center, they would step in and straighten it out. But the thing is, is that no one really cares.
Benefits
Cons
Managment, drama, backstabbing, communication
Outerwall
Help Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
Good work environment, good work life balance, management is indecisive on taking the company to the next level, GREAT Employees
Pros
Excellent Employees
Cons
Horrible Executive Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Outerwall. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5