Outerwall Employee Reviews in United States

Great company culture with lots of internal training available
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WA 98004March 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. They have a very inclusive company culture, and work to be a part of the communities that they work in. The benefits package while I was there was right up there for the industry, and they offered lots of other perks, such as a wellness program. They have several Business Resource Groups that you can be a part of, that offer many different types of volunteer opportunities, as well as opportunities to develop leadership skills.
Pros
Peachd lunch delivery available, walking trails, kayak and bike use available, great people, Business Resource Groups
Cons
The commute, not sure what direction the company is going in now.
Micromanaged kaos
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAOctober 13, 2015
If you can imagine company that watched your every move while having zero idea what is going on, this is it. The pay is low, upper management will lie to your face, and nearly half of our workplace has left within this past year alone. The insurance benefits are good, otherwise avoid this place at all costs.
Pros
free snacks, pop, insurance
Cons
micromanagement, high attrition, "cogs in the wheel"
Words cannot describe...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAMarch 3, 2016
I have to be honest by stating first and fore most that I liked my job; I told friends and family that I liked my job, and I truely did. However I started to resent my job once limitations began being placed on me, even though I assisted in accomplishing so much. When I finally seperated from Outerwall, about all I was allowed to do with interact with customers and that was it. If I did anything else, I risked getting fired.

Pasco Call Center is a site of people that have no idea what they are doing and think they are doing really well. In truth, it can't even be defined as controlled chaos. Supervisors all have different standards - people can be late on one team, but not on another without getting warnings. "Specilists" (CSS's) hardly know what they are talking about half the time.

At least in 2015 there was no communication between OBT (Redbox HQ) and Pasco, so customers would contact about a promo going on and reps would be scratching thier heads trying to figure out anything they could, and generally coming up with nothing. In late 2015/early 2016 this may have changed but doubtful.

The 3rd party used for calls for Redbox will do whatever they want, regardless of policy and procedure so when they talk to Pasco after, Pasco becomes the bad guy.

As stated by another reviewer, managment will lie to you. They will tell you one thing that do another without any concern or care.

There is also very high levels of favortism. So much that if you are one of their favorits, you will get promoted and chances that no one else is, no matter what anyone says
  more... or what the favorite might do (example stealing).

Conflict resolution in Pasco is actually rather funny to watch. Person A reports something about Person B, and it goes through 3 different people before B hears anything about it. The idea of a face to face between A and B is out of the question, they would rather waste time and effort playing telephone.

Summary: Outerwall is a good place to work if you love drama and don't care about helping people. If anyone in Bellevue cared about Pasco Call Center, they would step in and straighten it out. But the thing is, is that no one really cares.
Benefits
Cons
Managment, drama, backstabbing, communication
Outerwall
Help Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
Good work environment, good work life balance, management is indecisive on taking the company to the next level, GREAT Employees
Pros
Excellent Employees
Cons
Horrible Executive Leadership
Good if you like call centers
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAMarch 31, 2015
Scheduling and attendance policy is a joke. Beware of what is called the "Shift Bid." A typical day is constant change and half the time management is unaware of the change. Management is not on the same page as to what quality standards should be, even though there is a guideline. Customers can either be pleasant to work with or extremely difficult due to lack of resources agents have to work with.
The atmosphere is fair given they provide a lot of free snacks and drinks to help get you through your day. Breaks can be timed odd due to your schedule however, the time given is sufficient. Advancement and location transfers are possible however, limited.
Pros
Full benefits and 401k, free snacks and drinks, special events, and casual dress code.
Cons
Extreme corporate mind set for a call center, scheduling and attendance policy. Favoritism.
Wonderful Remote Technician Career
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 19, 2015
Great caring company. Constant innovation. Well maintained vehicle fleet. Good benefits. Fun yearly meetings. However, with a constant changing company, you may be subject for layoffs. Which is my personal experience. Not mad about the lay off, completely understand with the changes made.
Pros
Flexible work week
Cons
Possible layoffs
Great people to work with, very good benefits package
NOC Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working at Outerwall, and I hope to reapply when another qualifying position opens up. My position was eliminated after some corporate restructuring. The company is really nice to work for, and I immediately became friends with all my coworkers. The company culture is outstanding as well.
Outerwall corp. growth and changes
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 24, 2016
In my 15 years here, it was for the most part a very enjoyable environment and culture. The company went through a lot of changes over the past 4 years and went very corp. and very impersonal. The enjoyable part for tha past 4 years has been my job itself, and my beloved co workers who made it all worth it each day.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too corparate and impersonal
Machine Support Supervisor
Machine Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMay 25, 2016
Manage the day to day operations and activities within the Machine Support Call Center for Redbox / OuterWall. Responsible for up to 15 direct reports in such activities as remote technical trouble shooting, internal customer service, project management, coaching, employee development, and call center metrics
Extremely supportive workplace for beginning entry-level technician.
Service Desk Technician I (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 18, 2015
The usual day at Outerwall for me involved taking around 15-25 calls a day and working various tickets in between. Most tickets revolved around password resets, account lockouts and various issues with Microsoft Office and web browsers.

My team and management helped me learn how to manage my time better when I wasn't on a call. They also showed me how to multi-task between different tickets to maximize my effectiveness in closing tickets throughout the day.

The hardest part of my job was learning how to handle calls when I was unaware of the solution or what team I needed to send a ticket to. My team was always helpful with this however and over time I learned how to manage feeling like I needed to solve everything.

The best part was the IT department in general. I never had a problem with asking anyone for learning materials or asking for help with a problem. Everyone there was very helpful in my quest to better myself as a technician.
Pros
Professional work enviornment, helpful and friendly coworkers, free snacks.
Redbox
Social Media Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMay 16, 2016
the culture and the people make you want to go into the office everyday.

When it was Redbox everything was rapidly growing and change was consistent. Today the company is slowly shifting gears to focus on the future of Outerwall.
Pros
people
Cons
ELT
poor management
customer service rep II (Former Employee) –  pasco waSeptember 13, 2014
The company has great potential, however management at least at the customer service level was horibble. Every supervisor does things different which confused reps. Bringing in an operations manager that didnt understand the laid back enviromeny alienated many reps also. While they would promote agents that met certain goals the agents that knew every business and were their over 5 years never got promoted or considered. Basically if you can put up with rules not being followed and staying on your sups good side its an ok place to work. I feel that upper management should really get back to focusing on customer service rather than trying to micro manage every second of the day
Pros
benefits, consistent schedule for at least 4 months
Cons
horrible sups, inconsistent discipline, no one to hear problems
Sucks
REDBOX (Former Employee) –  WYOMINGAugust 28, 2015
I will say this REDBOX used to be a fun and enjoyable company however, over the last 2 years it has gone down hill they will take advantage of you and upper management like to do audits on your time and question everything you do for them keep daily notes is all I will say. I spent 4 years with them and I decided to leave the company because of these issues. Wanting people to work for free they will not say that but when covering 500 miles a day and not wanting you to have OT as you will be traveling 500 miles more often than you think or want to you do not get help from your manager and you MUST follow your route they say to follow or you will get into trouble just really think of applying for the Wyoming position really hard if you like to be micromanagement they love to do this to you as well
Pros
NONE
Cons
The area your covering
I love working for Outerwall
Field Service Tech (Current Employee) –  Bellevue WashingtonJune 4, 2015
Work able hours and good benefits. Hardest part was having to deal with city traffic, The best part was the freedom and the people you mean on a daily baseis
Pros
Company car
Cons
Mirco managers
Company searching for strategic direction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2015
Co-workers are generally talented people, but company lacks a true strategic direction.

Benefits are decent, but career advancement is difficult.
Excellent benefits, and Company that really tries to keep employees informed
Field Service Representative 1 (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 29, 2014
Very good company to work for. They carry some of the best benefits in Arizona, but have really loaded on the work and cut back on the staff. I believe that this company is working hard to keep up to date on their product (s) with the changes in the industry. My co-workers are the best team out there to work along side, they really help when needed, go the extra mile to complete any task given, understanding, and make great team mates. The hardest part of the job is really just working out in the Arizona heat under a time frame given by Corporate back in Illinois. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that you do have the freedom of starting when you want, and for the most part it is like working out of your home, or acting as a sub contractor for the company. Although the typical day is broken down as to how many kiosks have to be completed by days end and have to be completed in a certain order with a time allotment given to complete each kiosk, the rest is basically repetitious work.
Pros
excellent benefits, great co-workers and team leaders, start when like.
Cons
to much work expected for the pay given.
Didn't treat the employees right
Field service representative 1 (Former Employee) –  New Orleans LouisianaAugust 13, 2015
I liked my job at outerwall communicated with the customers but the managers had no communication with there employees the routes that we ran was not in order and never enough cleaning supplies and managers had nasty personality with there employees they were very disrespectful .The mangers at the man office would come to visit so much I think the just really wanted to take a vacation to new Orleans because every time they came nothing was getting done i would never work for outerwall again.
Pros
We had no pros
Cons
Never had a lunch break
Wonderful Employees
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 15, 2015
Employees are a great group of people.
Company provides free snacks and soda.
Decent benefits
Free parking.
Casual work environment.
Great benefits, inconsistent policies.
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAApril 16, 2014
Outerwall provided me an extensive amount of experience, handling different types of scenarios that customers would call for. I learned many skills that would allow me to provide an answer to the caller, though, many tools that would have provided that resolution were not really ever made available to agents, or employees on my level. Work areas are set up to promote multitasking, and navigating the programs is fairly simple as they provide a dual screen workstation. Many of the workers have been there for several years and are knowledgeable when you need an answer, or when management isn't available, which was often. I found my co-workers to be very friendly and built a wonderful work relationship with them. There are many aspects of working at the Pasco location that were negative, though. Many supervisors would not fairly implement company policies, dress code, cell phone use, etc. Some employees would be correct, and others would be allowed to freely break rules. Upper management states they are there to help, and listen, though when it comes time to hold up their end, they are generally pretty threatening and it basically comes down to either getting fired, quitting, or putting up with whatever it is that is happening.

The Pasco location is well equipped, coming with its own Redbox kiosk, an Xbox 360 and Wii that employees can use on their breaks, many free snacks, and vending machines. as well as a basketball hoop to use when the weather permits.
Pros
many catered events, affordable benefits, steady schedule
Cons
kennewick, wa
Great Company
Regulatory Affairs/Compliance (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILOctober 3, 2014
Amazing benefits