Overstock.com

Overstock.com Employer Reviews

Great place to work with great people!
Tier 3 Customer Care Team Lead/Coach (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 6, 2014
Pros: they do a lot for their employees.
Cons: the drive versus the compensation
Day to day operations are a fast paced environment with ever changing challenges.

I have learned how to adapt quickly, provide assistance to my subordinates and how to get better everyday.

Management is great at Overstock.com. They are always helpful and encourage you to be your best everyday.

The Overstock.com environment is pretty unique as in – more... you get to truly be yourself. It is an accepting environment and that attitude has bred a happy group of employees.

The hardest part of the job is the drive in to be honest.

It is satisfying knowing you are given the tools and training to help every customer with their issues. – less
A great company with a dedicated department.
Fraud Investigator (Former Employee), Holladay, UTJanuary 22, 2014
I was hired on as a seasonal fraud investigator. I enjoyed the work, especially because I knew I was helping save customers from a lot of grief and frustration.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: company parties, benefits, 401k
Cons: short breaks, angry customers
Phone calls all day taking customer service calls. Taking escalated customer service calls. Co-workers were excellent.
Hard Working and Enjoyable Atmosphere
Software Developer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 20, 2013
I worked at Overstock.com for three months as an Enterprise Project that is a part of my degree. I worked with their Club O division automating a series of manual tests. I also integrated the automated tests with TestLink and used Jenkins to build and run the test suite.
Best place to work all around!
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2013
Pros: treat their employees with respect and dignity!
This was one of the best jobs I have ever had! If you get an oppurtunity to work with this company, DO NOT PASS IT UP!
good pay
Electronics Processor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 21, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of working at a desk for ten hours examining returned electronics and processing them in the computer. The job was located in the warehouse so it was extremely loud and noisy the whole time.
Fun enviroment with a ping pong table and catering company's for lunch.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 24, 2013
Inbound calls from about 30-40 customers a day. Management was filled with really good people that new the work that needed to be done and the position I was in because they moved up from where they were. Co-workers were great people. The hardest part of the job was not enjoying the work environment and the people. The culture and the fun we had working.
Great Experience
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 16, 2013
Hard work, great place to learn how to be apart of a team.
Had a wonderful work schedule which allowed me to be active in my childrens life. It was awesome being able to work for a well known corporation.
Great workplace with a good culture.
Domestic Freight Specialist (Current Employee), Cottonwood Heights, UtahSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: challenging position with a good local company.
Cons: compensation is my only issue. the benefits are great but i would like an opportunity to make more.
I am always busy working to save the company money and be a productive employee. It is a great workplace with a great culture.
Overall a great job.
Customer Service front line agent (Former Employee), Tooele, UtahAugust 27, 2013
Pros: starting pay and benefits.
Cons: not much advancement opportunities. stressful.
Learned so much working for Overstock.com.

They care about their customers and employees.

Hardest part of the job would be when you get an irate customer and it is out of your control to help them out.

Pay is pretty good at $11.50 per hour.

Co Workers are so Awesome!
Always a challenge.
Web Content Coordinator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 16, 2013
Pros: steady work, good benefits.
Cons: narrow corporate vision.
Each week, I was expected to write 9 articles -- one about the size of the other 8 combined -- and to edit the work of two other writers. A great opportunity for professional and artistic growth, but a constant challenge to work with writers of widely varying skill and experience.
Management was very supportive of our efforts, but the company operated – more... like a small retail store. I was never made to feel the writing team's contributions were recognized or appreciated. – less
Working there was hard work but fun
Director Emerging Businesses (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2013
Working there was fast paced. Standing up the initiative as quickly as possible even if it was not perfect was the number one priority. Capture the revenue! Work was balanced with laughter and support.
eCommerce with an Impact
Southern Africa Regional Specialist (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPAugust 5, 2013
Working on strategic projects means no typical days, but a great mixture of strategy, design, creativity, influence, consumer behavioral psychology, logic, math, and high energy among staff and leadership..and in my role, adventure! This was a great place to work. Good people from the top down.
Bad for me. Good for some. Varies with Team/Department/Project. Generally chaotic.
Software Tester (Former Employee), Cottonwood Heights, UTAugust 4, 2013
Pros: pay, location, flexibility
Cons: culture, managment, hostility, disorganization
Pros:
Pay - it was quite good for me.
Location - it is surrounded by beauty and located next to Big Cottonwood canyon.
Flexibility - They are very understanding if you need time for appointments, family, errands, etc.

Cons:
Healthcare - One of the worst I have had.
Disorganization - it was the most unstructured and disorganized places I have ever worked.
Hostility – more... - I have never worked some place with so much internal anger, bullying, and competitiveness. This is the reason I left.
Apathy - No one cared about the success of projects in a genuine and supportive way - but sometimes in a threatening way. No one cares about your happiness there. No one cares to lead.
Hands tied - I have never worked somewhere with so many barriers and lack of assistance. They expected you to succeed and then don't empower you to do so. You are expected to take initiative and get through those barriers, which is fine and dandy, but then the same barriers exist for everyone on every project and they don't fix them. Other experts that can help you intentionally do not for whatever reason (for me I was told it was because of time constraints and in one case it was just because the person didn't want to because he said he didn't care).
Negativity - The attitude of the people I worked with was sarcasm, criticism, condescension, elitism, disgust, and apathy.
Escape Artists - there were quite a few people that dodged work in any way they could and they were not reprimanded. They flew under the radar and honestly did less work in a year than others did in weeks.
No Leadership - I had four different managers/supervisors/directors in my short time there and they all quit. There was a period of time I had no manager 1 or even 2 levels above me where there were positions open. I had very little direction, guidance, or support. Actually I was never even really sure who I reported to. Where there are leaders higher up (executives), they seemed completely oblivious to how we were using their time and money.
Fear - Another reason I left was that I felt someone who was a tyrant got into a position of power and people feared even being in the same room as that person because they might get fired if they did anything to displease them. Personally, I had to deal with the fear of getting into yelling, hollering, and threatening situations. Some these were very close to physical. There was lots of cussing, swearing, and physical intimidation (fist pounding, people getting right in your face, throwing things etc.).
Lack of Structure - I was never really officially on any team. Software development there is very agile, self managed, and fluid. I think being this way is good to a certain extent, but there needs to be good direction, decisions, and some framework of ideas in place in order to achieve some business goal. It is really chaos when large egos with different ideas are constantly battling each other and no leader creates resolution. There really needs to be better structure and flow there when and where self management is failing - but no one ever seems to notice or care.

They created one of the worst experiences in my life for me, and the worst part about it is, even though I brought it up with my coworkers and various superiors, no one ever tried to fix it and they didn't seem to care. I think it is because no one wants to make waves and they don't care - they would rather just quit as all my superiors did. The place needs a major overhaul or to be demolished.
One other note - I think the company is going to do well financially for a while, but eventually it will explode from the middle out unless they fix the major issues I have listed. I think there is lots of wiggle room for mistakes and they will still make profits, but eventually they will exhaust all the talent in the area no matter how much they pay and then things will dwindle. There is still time to recover I think, but I will never work there again - I would rather be dead than sacrifice my integrity that way. They don't deserve my time after how I was treated and how they treat each other and themselves. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about the waste of potential and money there. Some people might say, why not help to try and fix it, then I consider the fact that I am not immortal and there are other companies that already have much, much better culture, work environment, and employees.

I can't think of a reason why I would recommend this company to anyone for employment, but if you talk with someone else from the company, you might get a completely different response because of the internal disparity. Again - why risk it, go somewhere else in my opinion.

Advice to Management:
Are you kidding? Pay attention. Control the apathy and people taking advantage of the company. Kill the aggression and hostility if you want to keep employees - but I never got the impression that you cared any way, so I doubt you will listen. Foster a community of cooperation rather than internal competitiveness. Stop being so oblivious to the well being of the teams. You keep losing people, but don't care why and then just dish out more money as if that will make up for things and get more talent. Money doesn't matter at a certain point. If you want to attract and keep people, think about the internal environment and make it a place where people will want to be and feel empowered to succeed. What a mess.

The company is large enough that if you talk with someone on Team A they love it and someone on Team H they hate it. There are lots of good and bad reviews for Overstock and I think that is the reason why. The company is very chaotic and inconsistent. Unless they do something to get involved and understand themselves better, they will wax and wane in the market.
Personally I looked at the reviews before I stared there and thought well - they are mostly favorable with some nightmarish ones peppered in. Whatever Overstock can dish out, I will handle it and it will make me stronger. I am glad I experienced it so now I have another point of reference data, but I can save you some time and anguish and let you know that if you do happen to land in one of the bad pockets, you will be miserable. But who knows you might get lucky and end up in a good team/department. I suppose you could take a shot and then look for another job if didn't work out. – less
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 23, 2013
Friendly people, great environment. Happy fun, and exciting!
Good Company
Sr IT Consultant (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityMay 18, 2013
Pros: not much work
Cons: again not much work so nothing much to learn too..
Good Company and laid back environment...Not a good paymaster for senior people but very good working environment...I enjoyed my time in Overstock..

But again it is for people who put more focus on less time at work and more time with Family and not much worried about challenging work environment...But again for some people it might be good too..
Fun Environment!
Team Lead Partner Care (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 9, 2013
Fun, enjoyable people!! Great Atmosphere! The management team is great to work for, very flexible place to balance work and life.
Good Customer Service Company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 12, 2013
This is a good company to work for so long as you are willing to do what is asked of you. There is also a sense of doing things how they want you to do them when working for the company.
Management is terrible
Buyer's Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 6, 2013
I loved the work I did at first, but soon management started mixing things up, and I ended up bored with nothing to do in a new position. I was also at one point promoted to a higher position, then a week later they restructured things again and I was demoted. No privacy, no trust in their employees, too many office politics. Don't dare go against upper – more... management, they'll just fire you... Avoid it. – less
Productive and fun people to work for
Facilities (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: great people to be around
I enjoyed it. They helped me learn new trades in life. They had wonderful company outing.

1 2 3

About Overstock.com

Overstock.com allows you to shop a Persian bazaar of clothes, housewares, music, books, and more. The online discount retailer – Read more