Overstock.com Employee Reviews

Call Center Agent
Call Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 16, 2017
The call center primarily focuses on customers and their needs. A typical day is managing customer orders, doing returns, help direct to other departments.
Pros
Events, Quick Advancements
Cons
Hen Pecking, disagreeable entitled customers
Wonderful place to work
Senior Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 13, 2017
Overstock.com tends to hire really good people. The new corporate facility provides a nice environment with a ton of perks. Great benefits.

Work life balance is definitely a huge perk.
Pros
On-site cafeteria, game room, new facility. great people
Cons
Management seems a bit confused about the direction of the company.
Great People, Cool Building
Account Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 30, 2016
Impossible project deadlines, constant change in direction so nothing is ever completed, nepotism, etc... Co-workers and direct managers were absolutely incredible.
Pros
Ping pong tables
Cons
Incompetent executives
Nice work environment, great people
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 15, 2016
Nice place to start with customer service. Good benefits. If we were slow HR would allow you to leave early. Friendly management . Positive feedback. Which is rare in a call center. Company discounts.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
A little inflexibility in scheduling
Fun place to work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTDecember 15, 2016
Overstock is a very fun place to work with lots of great people to work with. Overstocks management is very nice and will work with you with most things. They are very laid back and helpful.
Could be a great place to work, but it's not.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 18, 2016
After 6 years of essentially destroying my body for this place, I still have not had an opportunity to advance. I have seen the most worthless workers move up due to their affiliation with upper management. I have even known of thieves and liars, who were promoted a few times over someone who was more qualified, and deserving. If you think you are going to move up by having a strong work ethic, it's the biggest mistake you'll make. You either have to be affiliated with upper management, or be sleeping with your lead, or supervisor.
Pros
Decent compensation, and benefits
Cons
Too many to explain.
Go to glass door to get a better idea
Developer (Former Employee) –  Utah.October 1, 2016
Since most of the senior management are incompetent narcissists, your job satisfaction depends heavily on the quality of your middle-managers. Some people are as happy as a clam. Others find themselves working long hours, digging swimming pools with teaspoons.

They say they want you to report problems, but if you do you'll get in trouble for being insubordinate or negative. Overstock is not a place where one can be honest. Your best bet is to keep your head down and your mouth shut. If you have the misfortune of having to speak to senior management, tell them what they want to hear, even if it isn't true. For example, report developers regularly get in trouble when the numbers they're reporting are not what senior management wants to hear.

They also aren't that pro innovation. Four example, two people in different groups tweaked a process and brought in an extra $30,000 a month without any extra work. Neither one of their managers had anything nice to say about it. Business processes that should've been automated 10 years ago are still being done manually. Upper management does not understand technology or values of people who do.

Nepotism cronyism run rampant at this place. If you're not a really good schmoozer, or somehow connected to senior management, you will find yourself pigeonholed. Being something other than an LDS male can really hurt you, depending on where you are.

90% of the training you need to do your job will be on your own time and on your own dime. If you're not super motivated it's very easy to end up with a stale skill set.

My
  more... department had absolutely no flexibility a work life balance. They also liked to set impossible goals and leave easily removed roadblocks in place. Not all departments are run this way.

They also encourage the folks in marketing and senior management to put fake reviews on these sites. You can tell the fake reviews by the jargon used.
Pros
Fun culture. Great parties. Rainbow friendly.
Cons
No flexibility at work like balance. Nepotism. Cronyism. No mentoring training budget.
Was a really great place
UNDERPAID (Current Employee) –  SLC, UTAugust 30, 2016
Apparently these fools treat some of their employees as things and not people. Arbitrarily changing where and when they work with out regard for their family. I used to have a real respect for overstock but how they are treating their employees is outrageous.
Love it
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 10, 2016
Overstock has a great company culture and hires really awesome people. A lot of employees have worked their way up from Customer Service which gives the company an interesting dynamic. It also gives anyone at the company great opportunities. Regardless of your education and experience, if you can prove yourself you will go places.
Pros
Lagoon Day, October Concert, 401k 6% match
Cons
Management, Senior Management
Fun place to work.
3PL OPERATIONS & IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTJune 6, 2016
Fun place to work. Growing company. Great co-workers. Company does not pay as well as it should. Salary not up to market, but benefits are pretty good.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Compensation
Great atmosphere and great people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 13, 2016
The people you work with are great and fun for the most part. Great Break spaces and a new building has been built recently. If you work really hard there are ways to advance.
Pros
Great benefits and pay raises
Fun workplace with a ping pong and pool tables
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTApril 6, 2016
Enjoyed working for the company, sometimes it was hard when you got an upset customer that yelled at you about the problem that you would have to attempt to solve.
Management would tell you one thing and then do another.
Not much room for advancement when you get in the door unless you are in a click with someone who already works there.
Enjoyed the company events that the had every year like the Concerts and Lagoon Day.
Pros
Great training for the employees.
Cons
Not much advancement
This is a fun and productive work place, everyone works hard, and has a good time.
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 2, 2015
Typical day at work consists of logging into my computer, and getting started listening to phone calls, or reviewing emails. After a few hours with that, we have meetings, and we meet with our teams, and discuss our coaching methods. Management is really reliable, and always there when we need. My co workers are awesome, we're a big family! Hardest part of the job, is getting started, I'm tired in the morning, and sometimes it's slow getting started. Most enjoyable part is seeing people succeed at their job, and the joy others get when they know they've accomplished their goal.
Work Hard
Associate Buyer (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTOctober 21, 2015
Everyone there has a strong work ethic but the growth and compensation is definitely lacking in some departments. The recent management changes has an effect on where the company is heading, growth/direction wise, I am not sure if its for better or worse but it is unclear on our how we would perform within the next year or so.
New challenges, relaxed atmosphere
Software QA tester (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahSeptember 9, 2015
Very much a "people first" company. I was always treated well. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. Halloween is totally OFF THE HOOK. Management and executives are very approachable, although they can come down pretty harshly when they need to. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very much. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Great events
Cons
Current medical insurance provider is not that great.
Fun work place, great people, overtime opportunities
CUSTOMER CARE (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day at work is taking an estimated of 30-40 calls and handling customer issues/concerns via inbound and out bound calls and emails.

I have make some friends for life at this company, the people are great.

The management does their best with the issues at hand, but I do wish that they would take employee feedback into consideration.

I have learned a lot from this job. The thing that I will take with me is that I have learned how to truly listen to the customer and to honestly empathize with them, not to listen to only respond. I use this in my every day life and my relationships have since improved.
Pros
free private concert, lagoon day, events
Cons
pay, understaffed, feedback process
Unprofessional
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 9, 2015
They promote anyone they like from the 'cool crowd' regardless of experience and make those talented, loyal individuals that work hard to support the company feel like they dont matter. Managers do what they want and don't inform their teams of decisions or direction of the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working here is the Culture! The company has a great variety of Culture and they show it! They do things that not most companies do. This company realizes what a great variety they have and they bring all the differences and make them all one big happy family.
Production Warehouse for decently priced products
Lead in PALM (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 2, 2015
I had worked in the PALM department, fixing and refurbishing PDA units to be sold at a lower cost.
A decent amount of variety in different departments, picking and packaging customer orders to be sent out for delivery.
Seasonal increase in demand is around Christmas.
Great work/life balance
Director, Product Operations (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahApril 30, 2015
Great work/life balance, and the employees at Overstock are the smartest in the business.

Sr. Management needs some work.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
exec management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Overstock.com. Our community is ready to answer.