Overstock.com

Overstock.com United States Employee Reviews

Great work/life balance
Director, Product Operations (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahApril 30, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: exec management
Great work/life balance, and the employees at Overstock are the smartest in the business.

Sr. Management needs some work.
GREAT culture and awesome people!
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTApril 23, 2015
Pros: Great culture
Cons: Difficult to move up in the company
The people are great but the company sucks. You aren't allowed to discuss some business practices that would alleviate customer concerns. I believe in total and complete honesty and you aren't allowed to be fully honest with customers. That dishonesty makes your job harder because it frustrates the customers when you give them 'beat around the bush' answers. Also, customers 'score' you by answering surveys about their calls and if they aren't happy with you (because you had to tell them no - obeying company policy) then that score can prevent you from getting raises and moving up in the company.
Energetic Great People to Work with
Category Merchant (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityMarch 29, 2015
Pros: carpool incentive
Love the people who work there, but it seems to have a high turnover. There is never a dull moment and the place is always on the go.
WAS fun and rewarding but no longer
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: team work, help from management and qa (lack of) and no more trust
when I started at Overstock it was amazing-benefits were excellent, helpfulness of the team leads etc. But, I have to say that in the last 3-4 months we have lost 50% of our team leads, have a complete change over of supervisors and managers and the turnover has gone from super low to over 50%. In the last 3 months of this year about half of our staff have either quit or been 'fired' for things that are actually part of our processes.

At one time I would have recommended overstock to anyone but no longer. Most of my coworkers were job hunting (I had several of them tell me of places to job hunt that I would never have considered). I will NO longer work for overstock, use their services, purchase items from them and will never say anything good about them ever again. It's amazing-they went from being a terrific company to work for to a company I can no longer say anything good about.

Good luck if you go to work for them.
Productive and fun workplace with smart, motivated worforce
General Manager (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 18, 2015
Pros: free lunches, food trucks, team-building opportunities
Cons: utah winters if you're not used to them.
Every day is different and fun. It's a great communal environment where everyone is working hard on shared goals. Hard work and innovation is highly rewarded here.
Good overall but there are problems
IT Employee (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 5, 2015
I like working here. I love the work/life balance and there are opportunities to learn and contribute. Management at the mid-level is pretty good, but past a certain point all promotion is based on who can party the hardest. The president of the company doesn't know anything about business and the CEO is a philosopher so don't even bring up ROI. He doesn't care. For some reason he think Chairman Mao is some kind of hero so he dresses up like him all the time. It's weird.
Fast paced fun and amazing co workers
Forklift Operator/Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTMarch 2, 2015
loved working there, a lot of people my age worked there so we shared a lot of things in common making it easy to talk about stuff at work.
Productive and fun work environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahFebruary 26, 2015
Everyone was there to do their job and have fun while doing so. I learned a lot from working there for a year and everything that I have learned i will take on to other jobs that I will work.
Very diverse, fun.
Product Care (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: there were lots of fun times, co-workers were great.
Cons: salaries and raises are few and far between.
The company worked hard to treat their employees well. Advancement was pushed and I was able to gain experience with other aspects of the company.

The workforce was very diverse, with truly amazing people and cultures.

The hardest part of the job, is management. They talked about how you could advance in the company, but rarely did anyone move up. It was usually based on 'Who you know and not What you know'.
Online shopping with strangers!
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: discounts, great pay, game systems in the catered lunch room.
Cons: it could have been a little less far away location wise.
Helping customers navigate, operate accounts and shopping online.
Handling any tracking and shipping questions.
There was time set aside to study videos on a variety of fun topics.
I was studying, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Photoshop.
Im over stocked!
Accountant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 8, 2015
Good starting experience. Good environment with friendly management. Flexible schedule great for students. Hard work that is good for preparing for a future in a corporate job.
Overall a good company but plan on being busy
Coordinator (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: fun co workers and some fun activities
Cons: long hours during thanksgiving and christmas holidays
I have learned a lot about an online website and all the parts necessary to have it work smoothly.I have also learned about managing others and the upkeep that it takes. The last 3 months of the year is the biggest time for a online retailer so Christmas is hard to enjoy and you have little time to enjoy it with family because of the heavy workload at that time of the year. I love going to our company party they rent out Lagoon Theme Park and we get to take our family's with us so we all get to hang out together and have fun for a change.
It does'nt pay my expenses.
Delivery driver (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: drove only when needed.
Cons: not enough deliveries.
Although it is a great place to shop for furniture, working here can not pay my expenses. I need other employment.
Great Work/Life Balance, Poor Vision and Culture
IT Employee (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2014
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: poor leadership
It's great being able to have hobbies outside of work and spend time with my family. I like my work and feel like my contribution is valued. However, top-tier management (CEO, President, Executive-level leadership) has no idea how to run a company. They lack professionalism on all levels and only have an HR department to keep themselves out of legal trouble. Many of the biggest projects are undertaken on a whim or based on the CEO's "philosophy", without being studied or analyzed. Millions of dollars are wasted on these kinds of projects which more often than not turn out to be a bust. It will last because of the ingenuity of the mid-level managers, who are actually great people, but the biggest thing holding this company back are the executives who haven't got a clue.
Fun and entertaining place to work.
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee), Tooele, UTOctober 10, 2014
Pros: great people to work with.
Cons: not the field i want to be in
This has been a good place to work. The company treats their employees very well.
Merchandising Manager
USA as a Freelancer Merchandiser & Designer (Former Employee), Atlanta,USASeptember 22, 2014
Overstock.com (Utah, USA based) is one of the premier ecommerce website of home goods, accessories, office & electronics products etc. My role was to source the products from different apparel & home furnishing wholesalers n manufacturers by visiting Trade shows in Atlanta and High point- North Carolina.
Creating a marketing campaign for new and old products at reasonable price points and marketing by email to overstock customers and overstock.com online users.

Identifying the overstock inventory with the wholesalers n the distributers.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 25, 2014
Pros: different food vendors coming to office to serve food
I would talk incoming chats for various issues such as the status of an order, setting up a return, setting a parts request.

I have learn a lot about being more empathetic via chat and email, better ways to write something to a customer.

My co-workers are great! They are easy to get a long with and make coming into work fun.

The hardest part of this job is saying something via chat or an email without offending the customer.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I've met via doing my job and the people I'm working with.
fun fun place to work for i loved it
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2014
Pros: always willing to give you all the tools you needed for suscess
Enjoy working for strong , positive company where growth is encouraged
Colleagues are great, Company culture and management not so much
BUYER (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityJuly 7, 2014
Pros: great bunch of people
Cons: management, pay, benefits.
Great bunch of employees at Overstock and not bad work life balance. Management isn't proactive or receptive to ideas from their employees.
Overstock is terrible for career advancement.
Principle Developer (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 1, 2014
IT is top heavy and has really stopped hiring. They are switching to contract work.

1 2 3 4

About Overstock.com

Overstock.com allows you to shop a Persian bazaar of clothes, housewares, music, books, and more. The online discount retailer – Read more

Overstock.com Salaries