Overstock.com Employee Reviews in United States

Great workplace with a good culture.
Domestic Freight Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UtahSeptember 4, 2013
I am always busy working to save the company money and be a productive employee. It is a great workplace with a great culture.
Pros
challenging position with a good local company.
Cons
compensation is my only issue. the benefits are great but i would like an opportunity to make more.
Great Work/Life Balance, Poor Vision and Culture
IT Employee (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2014
It's great being able to have hobbies outside of work and spend time with my family. I like my work and feel like my contribution is valued. However, top-tier management (CEO, President, Executive-level leadership) has no idea how to run a company. They lack professionalism on all levels and only have an HR department to keep themselves out of legal trouble. Many of the biggest projects are undertaken on a whim or based on the CEO's "philosophy", without being studied or analyzed. Millions of dollars are wasted on these kinds of projects which more often than not turn out to be a bust. It will last because of the ingenuity of the mid-level managers, who are actually great people, but the biggest thing holding this company back are the executives who haven't got a clue.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
poor leadership
Unprofessional
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 9, 2015
They promote anyone they like from the 'cool crowd' regardless of experience and make those talented, loyal individuals that work hard to support the company feel like they dont matter. Managers do what they want and don't inform their teams of decisions or direction of the company.
Overall a good company but plan on being busy
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 22, 2015
I have learned a lot about an online website and all the parts necessary to have it work smoothly.I have also learned about managing others and the upkeep that it takes. The last 3 months of the year is the biggest time for a online retailer so Christmas is hard to enjoy and you have little time to enjoy it with family because of the heavy workload at that time of the year. I love going to our company party they rent out Lagoon Theme Park and we get to take our family's with us so we all get to hang out together and have fun for a change.
Pros
fun co workers and some fun activities
Cons
long hours during thanksgiving and christmas holidays
Great work/life balance
Director, Product Operations (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahApril 30, 2015
Great work/life balance, and the employees at Overstock are the smartest in the business.

Sr. Management needs some work.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
exec management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 14, 2014
Phone calls all day taking customer service calls. Taking escalated customer service calls. Co-workers were excellent.
Pros
company parties, benefits, 401k
Cons
short breaks, angry customers
Great employer
Storage Engineering Lead (Current Employee)August 18, 2011
Wonderful place to work. Would recommend. Bonuses and raises need a little work.
Merchandising
Jewelry Buyers Assistant/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 29, 2012
Great company to work for. You can start in CS and be promoted right away.
Pros
bonus, compensation
The most enjoyable part of the job
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working here is the Culture! The company has a great variety of Culture and they show it! They do things that not most companies do. This company realizes what a great variety they have and they bring all the differences and make them all one big happy family.
Great coworkers, bad management, horrible culture
project and program management (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 6, 2012
coworkers and most of the people are great, but the company lacks focus and encourages a doggy dog culture where the CEO's pets usually get things decided without rhyme or logic but more of a who can scream the loudest, expect 60 hours workweek, sometimes worse during fourth quarter.

There is an annual layoff time where 10% of the workforce was cut, the culture doesn't promote work life balance, your life is supposed to be all about the company
Pros
you'll meet some amazing people
Cons
the higher up you go, the more of a target you become
Production Warehouse for decently priced products
Lead in PALM (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 2, 2015
I had worked in the PALM department, fixing and refurbishing PDA units to be sold at a lower cost.
A decent amount of variety in different departments, picking and packaging customer orders to be sent out for delivery.
Seasonal increase in demand is around Christmas.
Fun enviroment with a ping pong table and catering company's for lunch.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 24, 2013
Inbound calls from about 30-40 customers a day. Management was filled with really good people that new the work that needed to be done and the position I was in because they moved up from where they were. Co-workers were great people. The hardest part of the job was not enjoying the work environment and the people. The culture and the fun we had working.
Nepotism runs wild here
Bilingual Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tooele UtahMay 17, 2014
You do not have a set schedule, it is rare when you get a full weekend off.
If you are not related to Stormy Simon or anyone from upper management you will not succeed with this company. Stormy's family gets the better shift schedules. ALWAYS! Ask anyone that works there.

Managers are yelling to get out of wrap up when there are calls holding letting customers hear them yelling at you.
Insurance is terrible!
Pros
free coffee
Cons
health insurance, nepotism
Online shopping with strangers!
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 21, 2015
Helping customers navigate, operate accounts and shopping online.
Handling any tracking and shipping questions.
There was time set aside to study videos on a variety of fun topics.
I was studying, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Photoshop.
Pros
discounts, great pay, game systems in the catered lunch room.
Cons
it could have been a little less far away location wise.
Productive and fun workplace with smart, motivated worforce
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 18, 2015
Every day is different and fun. It's a great communal environment where everyone is working hard on shared goals. Hard work and innovation is highly rewarded here.
Pros
free lunches, food trucks, team-building opportunities
Cons
utah winters if you're not used to them.
Comprehensive environment for Customer's Service
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 2, 2012
An open friendly and friendly workplace wherein was capable of serving customers daily. The management provided means to find new possibilities in personal and working life. The education was a part of working, as well as learning new means to create lasting relations. A usual day at work included meetings with team and management. Finding technological means of connecting and communicating with suppliers, customers, and each other.
Pros
freedom of expression
Cons
unclear dress code, my fault.
Management is terrible
Buyer's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 6, 2013
I loved the work I did at first, but soon management started mixing things up, and I ended up bored with nothing to do in a new position. I was also at one point promoted to a higher position, then a week later they restructured things again and I was demoted. No privacy, no trust in their employees, too many office politics. Don't dare go against upper management, they'll just fire you... Avoid it.
Merchandising Manager
USA as a Freelancer Merchandiser & Designer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta,USASeptember 22, 2014
Overstock.com (Utah, USA based) is one of the premier ecommerce website of home goods, accessories, office & electronics products etc. My role was to source the products from different apparel & home furnishing wholesalers n manufacturers by visiting Trade shows in Atlanta and High point- North Carolina.
Creating a marketing campaign for new and old products at reasonable price points and marketing by email to overstock customers and overstock.com online users.

Identifying the overstock inventory with the wholesalers n the distributers.
Pool table, ping pong, big screen tv
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTApril 9, 2014
The company overall is a good company to work for, however I am very unhappy with the way they promote within. I have been there for five years and feel that I have been held back from becoming a manager, supervisor. I have already had experience in these areas. I have also owned my own business as well.
Pros
lagoon day, care week
Cons
bad scheduling, unfair promotions, health care is alright but not affordable.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 25, 2014
I would talk incoming chats for various issues such as the status of an order, setting up a return, setting a parts request.

I have learn a lot about being more empathetic via chat and email, better ways to write something to a customer.

My co-workers are great! They are easy to get a long with and make coming into work fun.

The hardest part of this job is saying something via chat or an email without offending the customer.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I've met via doing my job and the people I'm working with.
Pros
different food vendors coming to office to serve food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Overstock.com. Our community is ready to answer.