Overstock.com Employee Reviews

Go to glass door to get a better idea
Developer (Former Employee) –  Utah.October 1, 2016
Since most of the senior management are incompetent narcissists, your job satisfaction depends heavily on the quality of your middle-managers. Some people are as happy as a clam. Others find themselves working long hours, digging swimming pools with teaspoons.

They say they want you to report problems, but if you do you'll get in trouble for being insubordinate or negative. Overstock is not a place where one can be honest. Your best bet is to keep your head down and your mouth shut. If you have the misfortune of having to speak to senior management, tell them what they want to hear, even if it isn't true. For example, report developers regularly get in trouble when the numbers they're reporting are not what senior management wants to hear.

They also aren't that pro innovation. Four example, two people in different groups tweaked a process and brought in an extra $30,000 a month without any extra work. Neither one of their managers had anything nice to say about it. Business processes that should've been automated 10 years ago are still being done manually. Upper management does not understand technology or values of people who do.

Nepotism cronyism run rampant at this place. If you're not a really good schmoozer, or somehow connected to senior management, you will find yourself pigeonholed. Being something other than an LDS male can really hurt you, depending on where you are.

90% of the training you need to do your job will be on your own time and on your own dime. If you're not super motivated it's very easy to end up with a stale skill set.

My
  more... department had absolutely no flexibility a work life balance. They also liked to set impossible goals and leave easily removed roadblocks in place. Not all departments are run this way.

They also encourage the folks in marketing and senior management to put fake reviews on these sites. You can tell the fake reviews by the jargon used.
Pros
Fun culture. Great parties. Rainbow friendly.
Cons
No flexibility at work like balance. Nepotism. Cronyism. No mentoring training budget.
Was a really great place
UNDERPAID (Current Employee) –  SLC, UTAugust 30, 2016
Apparently these fools treat some of their employees as things and not people. Arbitrarily changing where and when they work with out regard for their family. I used to have a real respect for overstock but how they are treating their employees is outrageous.
Love it
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 10, 2016
Overstock has a great company culture and hires really awesome people. A lot of employees have worked their way up from Customer Service which gives the company an interesting dynamic. It also gives anyone at the company great opportunities. Regardless of your education and experience, if you can prove yourself you will go places.
Pros
Lagoon Day, October Concert, 401k 6% match
Cons
Management, Senior Management
Fun place to work.
3PL OPERATIONS & IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTJune 6, 2016
Fun place to work. Growing company. Great co-workers. Company does not pay as well as it should. Salary not up to market, but benefits are pretty good.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Compensation
Great atmosphere and great people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 13, 2016
The people you work with are great and fun for the most part. Great Break spaces and a new building has been built recently. If you work really hard there are ways to advance.
Pros
Great benefits and pay raises
Fun workplace with a ping pong and pool tables
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTApril 6, 2016
Enjoyed working for the company, sometimes it was hard when you got an upset customer that yelled at you about the problem that you would have to attempt to solve.
Management would tell you one thing and then do another.
Not much room for advancement when you get in the door unless you are in a click with someone who already works there.
Enjoyed the company events that the had every year like the Concerts and Lagoon Day.
Pros
Great training for the employees.
Cons
Not much advancement
This is a fun and productive work place, everyone works hard, and has a good time.
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 2, 2015
Typical day at work consists of logging into my computer, and getting started listening to phone calls, or reviewing emails. After a few hours with that, we have meetings, and we meet with our teams, and discuss our coaching methods. Management is really reliable, and always there when we need. My co workers are awesome, we're a big family! Hardest part of the job, is getting started, I'm tired in the morning, and sometimes it's slow getting started. Most enjoyable part is seeing people succeed at their job, and the joy others get when they know they've accomplished their goal.
Work Hard
Associate Buyer (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTOctober 21, 2015
Everyone there has a strong work ethic but the growth and compensation is definitely lacking in some departments. The recent management changes has an effect on where the company is heading, growth/direction wise, I am not sure if its for better or worse but it is unclear on our how we would perform within the next year or so.
New challenges, relaxed atmosphere
Software QA tester (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahSeptember 9, 2015
Very much a "people first" company. I was always treated well. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. Halloween is totally OFF THE HOOK. Management and executives are very approachable, although they can come down pretty harshly when they need to. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very much. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Great events
Cons
Current medical insurance provider is not that great.
Fun work place, great people, overtime opportunities
CUSTOMER CARE (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day at work is taking an estimated of 30-40 calls and handling customer issues/concerns via inbound and out bound calls and emails.

I have make some friends for life at this company, the people are great.

The management does their best with the issues at hand, but I do wish that they would take employee feedback into consideration.

I have learned a lot from this job. The thing that I will take with me is that I have learned how to truly listen to the customer and to honestly empathize with them, not to listen to only respond. I use this in my every day life and my relationships have since improved.
Pros
free private concert, lagoon day, events
Cons
pay, understaffed, feedback process
Unprofessional
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 9, 2015
They promote anyone they like from the 'cool crowd' regardless of experience and make those talented, loyal individuals that work hard to support the company feel like they dont matter. Managers do what they want and don't inform their teams of decisions or direction of the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working here is the Culture! The company has a great variety of Culture and they show it! They do things that not most companies do. This company realizes what a great variety they have and they bring all the differences and make them all one big happy family.
Production Warehouse for decently priced products
Lead in PALM (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 2, 2015
I had worked in the PALM department, fixing and refurbishing PDA units to be sold at a lower cost.
A decent amount of variety in different departments, picking and packaging customer orders to be sent out for delivery.
Seasonal increase in demand is around Christmas.
Great work/life balance
Director, Product Operations (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahApril 30, 2015
Great work/life balance, and the employees at Overstock are the smartest in the business.

Sr. Management needs some work.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
exec management
GREAT culture and awesome people!
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTApril 23, 2015
The people are great but the company sucks. You aren't allowed to discuss some business practices that would alleviate customer concerns. I believe in total and complete honesty and you aren't allowed to be fully honest with customers. That dishonesty makes your job harder because it frustrates the customers when you give them 'beat around the bush' answers. Also, customers 'score' you by answering surveys about their calls and if they aren't happy with you (because you had to tell them no - obeying company policy) then that score can prevent you from getting raises and moving up in the company.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Difficult to move up in the company
Energetic Great People to Work with
Category Merchant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake CityMarch 29, 2015
Love the people who work there, but it seems to have a high turnover. There is never a dull moment and the place is always on the go.
Pros
carpool incentive
WAS fun and rewarding but no longer
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 23, 2015
when I started at Overstock it was amazing-benefits were excellent, helpfulness of the team leads etc. But, I have to say that in the last 3-4 months we have lost 50% of our team leads, have a complete change over of supervisors and managers and the turnover has gone from super low to over 50%. In the last 3 months of this year about half of our staff have either quit or been 'fired' for things that are actually part of our processes.

At one time I would have recommended overstock to anyone but no longer. Most of my coworkers were job hunting (I had several of them tell me of places to job hunt that I would never have considered). I will NO longer work for overstock, use their services, purchase items from them and will never say anything good about them ever again. It's amazing-they went from being a terrific company to work for to a company I can no longer say anything good about.

Good luck if you go to work for them.
benefits
Cons
team work, help from management and QA (lack of) and no more trust
Productive and fun workplace with smart, motivated worforce
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 18, 2015
Every day is different and fun. It's a great communal environment where everyone is working hard on shared goals. Hard work and innovation is highly rewarded here.
Pros
Free lunches, food trucks, team-building opportunities
Cons
Utah winters if you're not used to them.
Good overall but there are problems
IT Employee (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 5, 2015
I like working here. I love the work/life balance and there are opportunities to learn and contribute. Management at the mid-level is pretty good, but past a certain point all promotion is based on who can party the hardest. The president of the company doesn't know anything about business and the CEO is a philosopher so don't even bring up ROI. He doesn't care. For some reason he think Chairman Mao is some kind of hero so he dresses up like him all the time. It's weird.
Fast paced fun and amazing co workers
Forklift Operator/Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 2, 2015
loved working there, a lot of people my age worked there so we shared a lot of things in common making it easy to talk about stuff at work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Overstock.com. Our community is ready to answer.