Owens & Minor

Owens & Minor United States Employee Reviews

Great Leadership with good employee appreciation
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee), Tracy, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great Leadership
Cons: Long Hours
This was hard work. We often worked 10-12 hour shifts and sometimes even more. The Leadership knew this and we were rewarded with team outings and dinners if time permitted.

I met a lot of good people and friends through this employer.
I enjoyed the team atmosphere and the friendly competitiveness that the job created.
Fast Pace workplace
Dock Associate (Former Employee), Pelham, ALMarch 30, 2015
Pros: temwork focus
A fast paced environment with great expectations on teamwork. Everyone worked together to make sure that all fright that entered the building was sorted correctly and placed in the right location to be picked by the 2nd shift.
pick medical orders for hospitals.
Distribution coordinator (Current Employee), Kennesaw, GAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no management.
pick medical orders for hosptials. Workplace is decent but the management is terrible. No leadership with to many chiefs and not enough indians.
Good company with poor management.
Order Puller (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great employees. benefits started day one.
Cons: long hours with little managerial support.
The job was important and rewarding. Great benefits. Wonderful co-workers. Long hours and management with poor communication skills.
Productive and clean workplace with very large breakroom areas.
Clean Room Assembler (Current Employee), Toano, VAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: bonuses, and luncheons
Cons: short breaks; long periods of standing
Typical day at work is building inspecting procedure trays for military hospitals. Trained to build and wrap trays for shipping. Management is very professional at all times. Different types of co-workers from all over. The hardest part of the job is building and wrapping a perfect kit. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with so many different types of personalities.
Good people at the workplace
Regional Purchasing Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TxMarch 9, 2015
Pros: good benefits for the employees
Cons: changes in the coporate management have not been positive for the field team
Love the coworkers at the location where I worked for many years. Owens-Minor does have good benefits for the employees.
Odd culture
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee), Wilsonville, ORMarch 2, 2015
Not a bad place if you need work to get by, but there is very little room for advancement. One supervisor seems to try his best to make this the most miserable place you could ever work.
rough
Distribution coordinator (Current Employee), Carol Stream, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits and health insurance
Cons: management
Constantly changing start times, and ends times is never consistent. when we get over time, they end up taking it away by sending us home earlier on light days. so one day we stay for 11-12 hours and the next couple of days could be 7 hours. management cuts our hours only so they can get their bonus on low overtime for each department.
when they release the work for us, its never consistent either, the customer service reps dont follow the cut off times for orders, which makes the pickers fall behind and potentially miss truck departures.
inventory control is messy. results in many errors.
teammate moral is at a all time low. no one is happy there anymore, things are getting worse instead of better.
Work and go home
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee), Kings Mountain, NCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good conversation among teammates
Cons: insurance deductibles go up faster than pay raises
The warehouse jobs are easy enough for most people. Of the people who can't hang with it, the majority are either unable to wake up at an appropriate time, or they can't differentiate between similar numbers, or they just adopt a laid-back/lazy attitude early on.

The company has been going downhill, from a low-level employee perspective. Systems have been implemented which were justified,"to make sure we are charging customers correctly", but is, of course, a means to determine the effectiveness and efficiency of warehouse employees' work. The system, which makes sense on some levels, is extremely flawed; switching tasks without recording via RF commands that you are working on a different project for a time will result in less efficiency - thus a lower % on paper - but does not affect actual production. This is often the case when attending a group meeting for 15 or 20 minutes, discussing an issue with a supervisor, or performing general housekeeping duties, which are indirect labor. Either way, just know there will be no bonuses for better work.

This is not a company to work for if you are planning to advance in your career. The company is 130 years old, so you have to either wait until someone retires or dies to move into a better position (even in those cases, it is often left unfilled).

Again, the work itself is somewhat mind-numbing and easy to grasp for most people, and the success or failure of the individual comes down to their attitude. For a high school graduate or GED recipient, this might be an okay fit. Beyond that, not so much.
Busy
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee), Hebron, KYFebruary 21, 2015
I learned a lot
Co workers make it fun
Long days
Wish we had a set time to get off
Management is ok
Always have to make sure things are right cause the product goes to the hospitals
Had a poor manger
Hospital Inventory Management Coordinator (Former Employee), New Haven CtFebruary 19, 2015
The manager I worked for did not follow all rules. Had material that should have been returned for credit throw out several times. Seemed to pick on certain employees. Said that employees would work together as a team and be held equally for problems which did not happen.Took action aganist employees when they were doing the job of others to the best of there abilities when they were out of work. Did not seem to be the right person for the job in many ways.
Easy going work environment
Warehouse Associate/Order Puller (Former Employee), Ashland, VAFebruary 16, 2015
This employer offered a great working environment. Steady, fast-paced working conditions. Unfortunately, this was a temporary assignment and a permanent position would have provided me with more stable.
I dont know how the supervisors got their jobs
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee), Urbandale, IAFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: your coworkers
Cons: supervisors, warehous leads, favortism, and alot more.
These supervisors and warehouse leads have no idea how to run a warehouse efficiently. All day I would see these 3 leads chatting, laughing, singing to the radio, and playing on there phones. I have personally caught the warehouse lead playing games on his phone multiple times in the same day, hes also been caught sleeping off a hangover at work. I am still not sure why is position even exist to be honest. But he isn't the only one cause the guy who is the head of the warehouse has been caught watching movies in his office.

Favoritism in this place is absolutely horrible and obvious, where if you get into their little club it seems that you can just hang out and talk with the leads for half a day. But if they don't like you they will give you horrible order to pick that will ruin your times and write you up for having poor numbers. That stuff just blew my mind.
Great family environment
Jr. Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: benefits and customer feedback
Cons: corporate restructuring
Great family environment with fellow co-workers. Challenging and fast paced workload. Management engaging but constrained by the environment of a centralized corporate office. Extremely detailed and accurate data reporting that internal and external customers depend upon for business decisions. Satisfaction of positive feedback due to my reporting.
Good support team
DISTRIBUTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Mounds View, MNJanuary 28, 2015
Frontline Management team had great support from upper Management.
Owens and Minor
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 26, 2015
Management needs to be improved. The manager at the Jacksonville DC did not get around hardly to speak to the workers.
Fun place to work.
Full-Time Order Picker (Former Employee), West Deptford, NJJanuary 24, 2015
Operating a number of different types of forklifts/lift-trucks, while picking orders specifically assigned hospitals, ensuring that orders are picked quickly, efficiently, accurately and correctly. Pallets are then placed at the shipping dock to be shrink-wrapped and loaded into their specific truck to be shipped immediately.
Great place to work.
Pandac Analyst (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: benefits, pay, co-workers and management
Cons: lose position when contact is not renewed.
Worked as a contracted inventory analyst at a hospital. Managed par levels of the hospital's sutures and edomechanical instruments.
Enjoyed working for the company. Great benefits, co-works and management.
Not the best place to work
Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee), Carol Stream, ILJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: benefits, money sort of
Cons: everything else
Originally last year when coming aboard, the company seemed very promising. However, as time continued, and mainly with the change of new management, they have reinforced a goal of moving backwards, lacking common sense, and ESPECIALLY apathy towards their employees. I would not recommend anyone to work for them.
Good Pay, Great Team, Work Hard
Manager Medical Material Assembly (Former Employee), Mechanicsville, VADecember 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good pay
Cons: long hours, lots of travel
Owens and Minor is a great company to work for, many of the team members I have worked with and for over the last 6 years has been a great experience. Constantly learning day to day, the job never gets boring.

Management for the most part was good, it was the higher ups above my boss that seem to make decisions that didn't make any sense.

A lot of travel, spread thin. Work a lot of hours past normal working hours.

I most enjoyed working with the Team members I have got to know over the last 6 years, establishing new friendships, and becoming an integral part of our customer base providing services far beyond our competitors.

1 2 3 4 5

About Owens & Minor

Owens & Minor (O&M) makes sure surgeons aren't left empty handed after shouting, "Scalpel, stat!" A leading distributor of medical – Read more

Owens & Minor Salaries