Owens & Minor

Owens & Minor Employer Reviews

Work and go home
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee), Kings Mountain, NCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good conversation among teammates
Cons: insurance deductibles go up faster than pay raises
The warehouse jobs are easy enough for most people. Of the people who can't hang with it, the majority are either unable to wake up at an appropriate time, or they can't differentiate between similar numbers, or they just adopt a laid-back/lazy attitude early on.

The company has been going downhill, from a low-level employee perspective. Systems have been implemented which were justified,"to make sure we are charging customers correctly", but is, of course, a means to determine the effectiveness and efficiency of warehouse employees' work. The system, which makes sense on some levels, is extremely flawed; switching tasks without recording via RF commands that you are working on a different project for a time will result in less efficiency - thus a lower % on paper - but does not affect actual production. This is often the case when attending a group meeting for 15 or 20 minutes, discussing an issue with a supervisor, or performing general housekeeping duties, which are indirect labor. Either way, just know there will be no bonuses for better work.

This is not a company to work for if you are planning to advance in your career. The company is 130 years old, so you have to either wait until someone retires or dies to move into a better position (even in those cases, it is often left unfilled).

Again, the work itself is somewhat mind-numbing and easy to grasp for most people, and the success or failure of the individual comes down to their attitude. For a high school graduate or GED recipient, this might be an okay fit. Beyond that, not so much.
Busy
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee), Hebron, KYFebruary 21, 2015
I learned a lot
Co workers make it fun
Long days
Wish we had a set time to get off
Management is ok
Always have to make sure things are right cause the product goes to the hospitals
Had a poor manger
Hospital Inventory Management Coordinator (Former Employee), New Haven CtFebruary 19, 2015
The manager I worked for did not follow all rules. Had material that should have been returned for credit throw out several times. Seemed to pick on certain employees. Said that employees would work together as a team and be held equally for problems which did not happen.Took action aganist employees when they were doing the job of others to the best of there abilities when they were out of work. Did not seem to be the right person for the job in many ways.
Easy going work environment
Warehouse Associate/Order Puller (Former Employee), Ashland, VAFebruary 16, 2015
This employer offered a great working environment. Steady, fast-paced working conditions. Unfortunately, this was a temporary assignment and a permanent position would have provided me with more stable.
I dont know how the supervisors got their jobs
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee), Urbandale, IAFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: your coworkers
Cons: supervisors, warehous leads, favortism, and alot more.
These supervisors and warehouse leads have no idea how to run a warehouse efficiently. All day I would see these 3 leads chatting, laughing, singing to the radio, and playing on there phones. I have personally caught the warehouse lead playing games on his phone multiple times in the same day, hes also been caught sleeping off a hangover at work. I am still not sure why is position even exist to be honest. But he isn't the only one cause the guy who is the head of the warehouse has been caught watching movies in his office.

Favoritism in this place is absolutely horrible and obvious, where if you get into their little club it seems that you can just hang out and talk with the leads for half a day. But if they don't like you they will give you horrible order to pick that will ruin your times and write you up for having poor numbers. That stuff just blew my mind.
Great family environment
Jr. Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: benefits and customer feedback
Cons: corporate restructuring
Great family environment with fellow co-workers. Challenging and fast paced workload. Management engaging but constrained by the environment of a centralized corporate office. Extremely detailed and accurate data reporting that internal and external customers depend upon for business decisions. Satisfaction of positive feedback due to my reporting.
Good support team
DISTRIBUTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Mounds View, MNJanuary 28, 2015
Frontline Management team had great support from upper Management.
Owens and Minor
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 26, 2015
Management needs to be improved. The manager at the Jacksonville DC did not get around hardly to speak to the workers.
Fun place to work.
Full-Time Order Picker (Former Employee), West Deptford, NJJanuary 24, 2015
Operating a number of different types of forklifts/lift-trucks, while picking orders specifically assigned hospitals, ensuring that orders are picked quickly, efficiently, accurately and correctly. Pallets are then placed at the shipping dock to be shrink-wrapped and loaded into their specific truck to be shipped immediately.
Great place to work.
Pandac Analyst (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: benefits, pay, co-workers and management
Cons: lose position when contact is not renewed.
Worked as a contracted inventory analyst at a hospital. Managed par levels of the hospital's sutures and edomechanical instruments.
Enjoyed working for the company. Great benefits, co-works and management.
Not the best place to work
Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee), Carol Stream, ILJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: benefits, money sort of
Cons: everything else
Originally last year when coming aboard, the company seemed very promising. However, as time continued, and mainly with the change of new management, they have reinforced a goal of moving backwards, lacking common sense, and ESPECIALLY apathy towards their employees. I would not recommend anyone to work for them.
Good Pay, Great Team, Work Hard
Manager Medical Material Assembly (Former Employee), Mechanicsville, VADecember 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good pay
Cons: long hours, lots of travel
Owens and Minor is a great company to work for, many of the team members I have worked with and for over the last 6 years has been a great experience. Constantly learning day to day, the job never gets boring.

Management for the most part was good, it was the higher ups above my boss that seem to make decisions that didn't make any sense.

A lot of travel, spread thin. Work a lot of hours past normal working hours.

I most enjoyed working with the Team members I have got to know over the last 6 years, establishing new friendships, and becoming an integral part of our customer base providing services far beyond our competitors.
fun working with the nurses
Inventory Control Coordinator (Former Employee), Stanford, CADecember 25, 2014
Pros: your on your own time.
Cons: heavy lifting
We handle medical supplies for the hospital. Shipping, receiving, and stocking units in the hospital.

Dealing with nurses needs and being courteous to patients. knowing different types of medical supplies and equipment.

Management and co-workers are very diverse.

There's a lot of heavy lifting, loading and unloading supplies in the units. You can make your own schedule, take your breaks and lunches when ever you want.
very very good benefits
distribution coordinator (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKDecember 25, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: weather conditions
a typical day at work was fun and challenging.i learned leadership skills and various warehouse computer skills. the management was nice and very energetic and helpful. co workers were very knowledgeable and helpful. the hardest part of the job was long hours and weather conditions but overall it was enjoyable. i love the pay and the benefits.
Family oriented and cared for their employees
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee), City of Industry CADecember 16, 2014
Pros: provied courses to better ourselves, great benefits, and support to employees
Overall is a great company and very grateful for the growth and knowledge I acquired. Every day was different at work but first was login our phones, check ad respond to emails from customers ad internal customers. Then, work on backorder reports, research, called vendors for updates, tracking and provided substitutes. While doing that I was answering phones from customers, outbound calls for follow up to vendors and customers. Emergency couriers per customer request due to I worked for a medical distributor which time and product was critical. Also, monitor that all CSR where available on the phones, assisted management in reports, help with any training for improvement in the department. I learned to lead by example, that I love sharing information and I discovered that Training others help me learned from others. Also, work as a team to get the work done. Management was always fair and great to me and we worked together to service the customer. My co-workers were like family due to we work together as a team to service the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is to interactive with customers and assist them to be service.
Owens and Minor
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), Louisville, KyDecember 15, 2014
Pros: good benefits package. free/ discounted sample medication
Cons: high turnover rate
Good company to work for. Still very young in the third party logistics field (3PL). Well known in the medical logistics field, very clean warehouse and work isn't difficult. Most difficult part of job is occasional lifting of water cases, and meeting picking quota.
alot of overtime
Warehouse Teammate (Current Employee), Urbandale, IADecember 14, 2014
i operated reach trucks, orderpickers, electric pallet jacks, and regular forklifts
Good secure medical facility
Warehouse Lead & Associate (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 1, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: dust
I learned a lot about shipping & recieving procedures at Owens & Minor. This was my first real job so I really didnt have many skills but they took a chance on me. I'm very grateful for that because I gained a little manager experience as well in the 6 or 7 years that I was there. They do a great job with their training program.
Decent job/ fair pay rate
Order Filler/PART-TIME (Current Employee), Franklin, MANovember 11, 2014
Good place to work . Management needs improvement . No much room for advancement you have to know somebody

November 18, 2014

Also management has no respect for minorities. The place is poorly managed, lack of leadership and people's skills.

love this job
Material handler (Current Employee), Redlands, CANovember 7, 2014
love this job management is awesome employees are great awesome pay

1 2 3 4 5

About Owens & Minor

Owens & Minor (O&M) makes sure surgeons aren't left empty handed after shouting, "Scalpel, stat!" A leading distributor of medical – Read more