Owens & Minor Employee Reviews in United States

Close to home - good people to work with
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAFebruary 17, 2016
The job is repetitive and boring, and the pay was lower than it should be. But it was close to home and the people are really nice. Benefits were pretty good and reasonable priced, however they have a very inflexible points based attendance system. Something I found strange is that they gave you sick days, but then you were penalized with attendance points against you if you used the sick days. This resulted in lots of people coming to work sick and spreading their germs.

Owens & Minor used to pride itself on not laying off employees. However, with a new CEO this is no longer the case. The Accounts Receivable Department was advised in December, 2015 that all Accounts Receivable jobs would be centralized to Chicago & Allentown, PA. It seems this will also be the case for Customer Service and Purchasing departments - although it has not yet been formally announced.
Decent work, Poor management
DISTRIBUTION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Kings Mountain, NCApril 1, 2016
The work isn't bad, the people are fun to work with. The management is extremely poor. Zero work/life balance. Insane overtime, the company doesn't want to hire the help needed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
MANAGEMENT
My staff was hard working
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 13, 2016
Owens & Minor had poor senior Management recourses were not made available to me when I needed them. I had no work life balance only worked even on my off days I work. I was salary but I was working 12 hour days mon-fri and 6 to 8 hours on my off days
Was a good job...dont work here.
local Driver (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILFebruary 18, 2016
As all corporations who think they can run trucking companies this one is no different.you have people who have NEVER driven trucks running the show who think spreadsheets and what looks good in truck driver monthly is law...no real world experience to speak of..they fumble over each other looking to put their stamp on something so they can pat themselves on the back.you are part of the collective here one person makes mistake good drivers will suffer and the heart of the problem ( management who hired the bad seed to begin with) will go on as if they are doing a good job...this company has real internal issues and no resolve in site..steer clear of this company.
Pros
Time off...
Cons
Upper managment...
Professional environment
Surgitrack Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2016
Love my work with Owens & Minor. Great leadership team and a great company to work for. I worked as a supervisor in a department called Surgitrack. I had a great experience and learned a lot. I was directly responsible for create the day's work for the 2 teammates in the department, fully implementing FDA regulations, monitor all incoming items needed to build the surgical kits, and I also learned a ton about supervising teammates in a diverse culture.
terrible place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Toano, VAJuly 27, 2016
I used to work for avid medical been there 10 years till owen and minor bought them owen and minor is a terrible place to work plain and simple they tell you that you have the opportunity to grow in the company maybe but when a good position opens they hire from outside the company an dont say nothing to the person who went for it the health insurance is insane cost way to much only gives you 35 cent pay increase a year the management consistently tell the employee they not working hard enough they to slow the human resources department is terrible they dont investigate nothing the equipment is run down the ceo promise new ones and never came they liers as well don't work for them you can do way better then Owens and minor
Pros
got none
Cons
pay, health insurance, management, the hours, human resources, faulty equipment
Strong Company
general manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 24, 2015
Sales runs company at the detriment of operations. The demands put on by sales not ever pushing back on the customer results in higher cost to operations and overall lack of synergy.

Two sets of goals for sales and operations causes huge issues when trying to find ways to be more efficient.

I believe those competitors that can balance both will eventually take over huge market share from O&M, which is too bad as the people there are very, very good.
Pros
Pay, benefits, culture
Cons
Goals not aligned
Good thing the atmosphere is good.
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYJuly 30, 2016
No work life balance. If you want to make a lot of money and don't mind an unpredictable schedule, it's a great place to work. Retention is low. Attendance policy is relatively lenient. This leads to long hours with lots of call ins. Some weeks are 12 hour days, others are 9 hour days. Haven't worked an eight hour day yet. The production numbers are achievable. Training is minimal. They trust you will figure it out. Coworkers are helpful. Management is varied and in transition. Breaks are regular. Everything is timed so if structure isn't your thing, you may want to keep looking for another line of work. Promotions are available. I don't hate going to work but the long weeks really wear on you.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits for industry and level
Cons
Low key management allowed to work independently
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin,MAJanuary 31, 2016
There was never a typical day which made the job very exciting.

The managment was very supported and always there when needed.

There wasn't much interaction with co workers as I was either on the road or working from home depending on the day.

The hardest part of the job was balancing it with home and being able to turn it off.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my customers
Pros
benefits and ability to advance
Cons
ever changing healthcare in United States impacted the way we did our job.
Was a good place to work. Seen alot of good people fired.
Tractor-trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZSeptember 21, 2015
This place had a butt kissing contest. Seen alot of good workers before me leave due to this. The ones who stayed were the ones who didnt want to do anything. Made managers aware of wrong doing of other employees and nothing was done. No advancement. If you are good at something, thats were you are staying. Even when they say you can go anywhere in the company. Raises are also horrible.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, pay, schedule, butt kissers

Want to know more about Owens & Minor?

Ask a question
Great group of people to work with
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 15, 2016
Everyone was friendly. Always hiring. Good warehouse management, My position was only temporary. Was hoping it would be permanent but their 2016 budget did not make available for an additional HR Coordinator.
Pros
Good hours; good management team; friendly warehouse teammates
Cons
Not offiered full time employment. Felt a little held back in learning more in my position.
Overall the company is a great workplace, I've learned to use different types of tools as a picker/packer.
Shipping Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 8, 2015
Everyday picking. I learned how to use a RF gun, and how to read location of an item. The management at Owens and Minor is good and fair. The co-workers are very helpful and work together as a team. The hardest part of my job is carrying heavy boxes. The most enjoyable part of my job is to meet new people, and interact with them.
Pros
Salary, Enviroment, Co-workers, and Benefits
Cons
By far, the best company I have worked with throughout the years. I miss my O&M family!
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 9, 2015
Developed Customer Relations by traveling to client sites to train employees on utility of automated business. Assisted in new business development by presenting financial reports to clients. Performed Financial Analysis and Reporting utilizing the proprietary IT system to create, analyze, and report results to Teams, Departments, Field teammates, and external clients. Fundamentally involved in the development of Corporate Training by creating, documenting, and assembling the “Sales Force Automation Training” manual. Delivered training on automated tool and its features/benefits to nationwide teammates.
Pros
Corporate support and culture!
Cons
Corporate bureaucracy may affect project timelines.
I came back
Warehouse coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYJuly 28, 2016
I worked for Owens and minor for 2 to 2.5 years after high school. I quite because of long hour and needed more of a life. Now I work there again after being gone over a year. The pay is very competitive compared to other jobs in the area. The hours are not as long and they will work with you on days off or being late. I was late multiple times do to drs appointments because I have a kid on the way. But honestly the money is great and the new management works with you and understand you. The job is not as bad as it sounds. I worked in a warehouse making less money where every product weighed over 150 pounds. At Owens and minor the product is way lighter. And promotions are easily capable to achieve. Like I said I came back to the job after being gone for over a year. It's a warehouse dealing with medical supplies that go to hospitals in the area so the job is always there meany job security.
Pros
Good pay, overtime is there, great benifits, great people, help is always available, and working your way up in the company is easy.
Cons
You work till the job is done. (Hours are shorter than a few ywars ago though?
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Industry, CANovember 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
N/A
Great Company To Work For
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 28, 2016
I learned to work as a Team Player, supported, advancement . I have a great Team that I worked with daily. I reviewed reports, financials, ensure customer satisfaction and ensured the Team continued to grow and learn. I provided developments and growth. Performed appraisals and recruitment for jobs.
Started out great; Couldnt get pass one specific job.
Warehouseman/Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2016
They select who they want to have certain positions. The company doesn't really appreciate its employers like they say they do. Management was OK the teammates were OK.
Understaffed
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYApril 8, 2016
The regular day at work was stressful, they was in the process of changing personal, firing everbody that they thought wasnt good enough for the job, even if you been there for many of years. What i learned working there was how to handle my peer, withen mangement and taking direct oders if i didnt like them or not.Some of the co-workers i did work with was unfriendly, so that made the job even worst, they had everyday a new body coming in there to fill the postion, so it was hard to get to know anybody. The best part of the job was just working, getting paid the right money, it was very hard for me to enjoy alot of the job because i was working over 50 hours daily seven days a week.
Great team to work with in the customer service department and warehouse.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work was pleasant and constant. I learned that when things would get hectic, our team of customer service representatives would come together greatly as a team.
Management was not all that great. Policies and practices would change almost daily, leaving us to recant what we would tell our clients.
The hardest part of the job was the constant change in policies and being let go.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people that soon became like family
Cons
Management, job advancement, job security
Good if you don't have a family
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 17, 2016
So my shift was the swing shift so I started at 2 pm. We came in right when the morning shift should be getting off (but never do, will get to that) and you try to find a lift to go drive on. Over half the lifts have wonky wheels that aren't very comfortable so you will destroy your knees and back if you work for more than a month. The job is supposed to be 8 hours, but the only time I ever saw an 8 hour shift was on the day we didn't ship product, Sunday. All the other days were 10+. So you will get your overtime but you won't see your family. It's in Tracy, but the far far side of Tracy. So if you're coming from Modesto, it's a long drive. Adds about an hour to your whole day. The people you work with are really cool. I got close to a lot of them. Most everyone cares about what's going on in your life. A lot of people like to play video games. Supervisors can get a little shady. I'm pretty sure they rigged the numbers for a few employees to fire them instead of lay them off when they should've been. But shift leads and managers are pretty cool. All-in-all, it wasn't a terrible place to work at, I liked it better than my restaurant job. You get a nice pair of Red Wings boots out of it. :)
Pros
Good pay (~3k/month), Good health benefits
Cons
50-60 hour weeks

2.8