Owens & Minor Employee Reviews

Long History, Antiquated Policies
Financial Operations (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAAugust 13, 2017
Owens & Minor has been a fairly typical company. They are a small business grown big and (typically) have not kept their infrastructure,policies, and practices in pace with their growth. I have seldom found a friendlier place to work (overall) and am impressed by their family atmosphere. A conservative, young professional can find a good home here - as long as he/she has a degree and mediocre compensation (benefits and salary) expectations. Be sure to negotiate your starting salary - your next opportunity for any significant financial improvement will be a promotion. No pay for performance - just a straight 2.5% across the board.
Pros
Great facility, friendly coworkers, important work
Cons
Grossly limited mobility without a degree, mediocre benefits, no pay for performance.
Started as a good place to work then management changes and everything changed.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 9, 2017
A typical day would be 10 to 14 hours. New management making changes to improve efficiencies but made changes all at once. This caused long hours, moral issues, increased sick call off, resignations of quality teammates and the resignation of both operations supervisors within a few weeks of each other.
Pros
very good operations crew
Cons
extremely long hours and managers that do not care about the teammates.
Typical warehouse environment
Warehouse Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 8, 2017
The warehouse is modern, focused on reducing cost, and very fast paced. Call outs and heavy delivery days cause you to have to work over a eight hour day consistently.
Pros
Your day goes fast
Cons
You do more with less people.
Stressful work environment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 5, 2017
Owens is not the place to work they preach work life balance but it is not that way at all. Most teammates are overworked and underpaid. Raises are a joke and bonuses are low. Rollover is at 70% or more.

DO NOT WORK HERE
Benefits
Cons
Low pay long hours
It's a job and they are hard to come by in this area. Most employees are not happy with the company and how the business is running.
JIT Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAAugust 4, 2017
Hard to keep a good working outlook with this company. Especially with all the charges going on and people losing their jobs. Very sad to see the direction this company is going.
Pros
Currently, lucky to have a job but now sure for how long.
Cons
Can't trust management or the corporate office with anything they tell you.
Great working culture
Sr. Customer Service Supervisor-Southeast Region (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 2, 2017
O&M provides a great working culture that values the teammates and their famlies. It has always provided for me an opportunity to grow and advance. Teammate and customer interaction is the best part of my daily activities, and being able to resolve issues if they arise.
good job
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLAugust 1, 2017
not friendly , good place to work , overtime is avavilable upon request ware house easy to find job has many oppertunities , can move up after about 5 years
Pros
no pros
Cons
bad hours unless day shift
O&M Intern
Business Intelligence Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2017
As an intern, this was an amazing company. They provided housing to those of us out of state and helped set us up in programs that exposed us to the city. The President at the time had a large dinner for us and he said something that sticks with me to this day, "People don't really leave their job, they leave their management". I have found this to be true.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, work from home preference
very fast paced, bad management
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIAugust 1, 2017
The job wasn't all bad. it was very simple and straight forward. But, my manager didn't know what he was doing and his boss was his buddy so it became an issue because the manager that was doing things incorrect, was getting praised for it and everyone that was working on the floor had to jump through loops. combine that with not having a life because of the hours and it becomes a career set to fail in.
benefits
Cons
managment
Do you really need a job?
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJuly 27, 2017
If you are a new hire, you will most likely start on the 2nd shift. You will never know what time you are leaving because you can't leave until all the work is done. I would estimate that a normal day would be about 10 hours. The warehouse is not temperature controlled, so it is hot in the summer! The majority of the time you are pulling small medical supplies in tight quarters with a bunch of simpletons crowding you. Your coworkers will be either ghetto or . They talk about advancement, but that would be years in the future, and those positions don't look very promising. Bottom line, you can find a much easier job for 12.90 an hour.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
See above
A typical job
Lead Perioperative Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2017
Job is ok. I like the management but the pay could be better. I work contract so i do have the insecurity of not knowing if my assignment will end. Overall I am content for now.
it was a fun job
Warehouse Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAJuly 19, 2017
it was a fun job .i had gotten a lot of hard work ethics out of this company. still miss the employees i shared my time with there. i also had got a ton of hours
Interesting work
Medical Expediter (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 16, 2017
Working for Owens and Minor was an enjoyable experience. I was given a great amount of latitude in my job and the work environment was pleasant. My first supervisor was wonderfully supportive and an excellent communicator.
Family Culture
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYJuly 10, 2017
Good place to work, I learned a lot here. Office and warehouse folks all jump in to help each other. Home office is in Virginia so we got a slower directive versus if we could have made decisions locally. Hardest part of job is keeping warehouse employees due to the long JIT environment. The enjoyable part was the people and helping them.
Pros
Close to home, good benefits.
Cons
Loss of business, downsizing
warehouse
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJuly 9, 2017
If you like the fast paced jib always moving this would be a good job for you to jump on good people ,positive place to work have fun learning different jobs
Owens-Minor
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJuly 9, 2017
A great place to work. a corporate company with a corporate mentality. A medical distribution company that gives you a sense of purpose. Teammates work to ensure that the medical supplies needed by our hospitals to take care of our neighbors in their time of need.

You learn to adapt in a rapidly changing environment. From the Operations floor to the Front office administration, change is constant and projects are necessary. Learn to love working as a team and to achieve a one goal/one purpose directive.

Management works well with the teammates and communicates when necessary and permissible
Good pay
Selector/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 9, 2017
over worked and under appraised. never know how many hours a day you will work or what time you will get off work. screw you out of the overtime you have worked by sending you home early. Day shift gets OT while night crew get's screwed out of our 8 hrs and sometimes our 40.
Run forest run!
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 6, 2017
Management don't offer enough training and time to meet production goal. Warehouse employees, sabotage new hires. Management don't know how to manage warehouse employees. Management expects employees to solve their own problems.. If you have an issues, management blames the employee. You can't depend on management. In 8 weeks management expect for you to meet production goal 98%, with very little training. Again RUN FOREST RUN!
Pros
Your benefits start the first day you work.
Cons
Management with passive aggressive leadership skills.
On the positive note they need pay very well.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYJune 29, 2017
It is the worst place to work u never get a day to rest they work u to much never get to see your family. They didn't really care about their employees.
Pros
They had good insurance and great pay.
Cons
You work long hours.
Horrible compassion levels for employees with great pay!
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  DC 20, Kings mountain NCJune 27, 2017
Being sick is the worst thing you could do. If you go in and are sick and go slow, God help you. Don't even bother going to court either. You'll still get attendance points. Oh wait you brought notes? TOO BAD. you still get points. The attendance policy is nuts and if you go slow even a little bit they'll send you home, even if you explain that you're sick they'll say they don't care. They'll askyou what's wrong and ignored every word. Don't work for this company it's not worth you losing out on your children's lives, unless you're lucky enough to get first shift, don't do it.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay
Cons
Short breaks, doesnt care about if youre sick or not