Owens & Minor

Owens & Minor Employee Reviews

pharmeceautical company
Material Handler (Former Employee), Walnut, CAMay 1, 2015
I picked, shipped and received orders on a daily basis, maintained forklift batteries, and used UPS and FED EX shipping on on line
Fast pace with little to no errors.
Hospital Group Leader (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAMay 1, 2015
Owens and Minor has been in business for over 100 years. Typical day was to assign the work to the teammates for the daily routine. The hardest part of my job was keeping the team motivated. In a fast pace environment, It's easy for a individual to become unmotivated. I enjoyed watching my co-workers grow into a solid team from my command and leadership.
Fast paced work environment
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee), Hebron, KYApril 23, 2015
Day would be busy from the time you sat down at your desk until you went home. Lots of phone calls and emails as well as orders to review.
Great Atmosphere to work in, with a great crew to work along side with.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKApril 22, 2015
A typical day of work would consist of inspection and picking orders for customers. At first the job was hard but once i got used to the orders daily then they started becoming easier.
melissa & doug
forklift driver (Former Employee), Tracy,caApril 17, 2015
Pros: other temp agency's that do help
Cons: dictatorship is strong
First glimpse everybody was doing their part. After 2 weeks I noticed certain employees slacking off. Went to boss and he told me I was at the wrong, I needed to do my part. Overall it's a biased place to work. If u don't mind watching people read/text during most of the shift while you work under presume this place is for you
Horrible
customer service (Current Employee), missouriApril 8, 2015
Pros: snacks
Cons: management
Pretty much what everyone else says is true. I thought it was just my warehouse and accounts but this is truly the worst job I've ever had. No room for advancement, any problem or question you may have will not get answered unless you speak on it daily or complain to HR. Doing your job correctly also gives your superiors room to give you every single project imaginable, rather than training correctly they just pick the person who gets it and throws all the work on them. No equality or understanding at all.
Great Leadership with good employee appreciation
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee), Tracy, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great Leadership
Cons: Long Hours
This was hard work. We often worked 10-12 hour shifts and sometimes even more. The Leadership knew this and we were rewarded with team outings and dinners if time permitted.

I met a lot of good people and friends through this employer.
I enjoyed the team atmosphere and the friendly competitiveness that the job created.
Fast Pace workplace
Dock Associate (Former Employee), Pelham, ALMarch 30, 2015
Pros: temwork focus
A fast paced environment with great expectations on teamwork. Everyone worked together to make sure that all fright that entered the building was sorted correctly and placed in the right location to be picked by the 2nd shift.
pick medical orders for hospitals.
Distribution coordinator (Current Employee), Kennesaw, GAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no management.
pick medical orders for hosptials. Workplace is decent but the management is terrible. No leadership with to many chiefs and not enough indians.
Good company with poor management.
Order Puller (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great employees. benefits started day one.
Cons: long hours with little managerial support.
The job was important and rewarding. Great benefits. Wonderful co-workers. Long hours and management with poor communication skills.
Productive and clean workplace with very large breakroom areas.
Clean Room Assembler (Current Employee), Toano, VAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: bonuses, and luncheons
Cons: short breaks; long periods of standing
Typical day at work is building inspecting procedure trays for military hospitals. Trained to build and wrap trays for shipping. Management is very professional at all times. Different types of co-workers from all over. The hardest part of the job is building and wrapping a perfect kit. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with so many different types of personalities.
Good people at the workplace
Regional Purchasing Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TxMarch 9, 2015
Pros: good benefits for the employees
Cons: changes in the coporate management have not been positive for the field team
Love the coworkers at the location where I worked for many years. Owens-Minor does have good benefits for the employees.
Odd culture
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee), Wilsonville, ORMarch 2, 2015
Not a bad place if you need work to get by, but there is very little room for advancement. One supervisor seems to try his best to make this the most miserable place you could ever work.
rough
Distribution coordinator (Current Employee), Carol Stream, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits and health insurance
Cons: management
Constantly changing start times, and ends times is never consistent. when we get over time, they end up taking it away by sending us home earlier on light days. so one day we stay for 11-12 hours and the next couple of days could be 7 hours. management cuts our hours only so they can get their bonus on low overtime for each department.
when they release the work for us, its never consistent either, the customer service reps dont follow the cut off times for orders, which makes the pickers fall behind and potentially miss truck departures.
inventory control is messy. results in many errors.
teammate moral is at a all time low. no one is happy there anymore, things are getting worse instead of better.
Work and go home
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee), Kings Mountain, NCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good conversation among teammates
Cons: insurance deductibles go up faster than pay raises
The warehouse jobs are easy enough for most people. Of the people who can't hang with it, the majority are either unable to wake up at an appropriate time, or they can't differentiate between similar numbers, or they just adopt a laid-back/lazy attitude early on.

The company has been going downhill, from a low-level employee perspective. Systems have been implemented which were justified,"to make sure we are charging customers correctly", but is, of course, a means to determine the effectiveness and efficiency of warehouse employees' work. The system, which makes sense on some levels, is extremely flawed; switching tasks without recording via RF commands that you are working on a different project for a time will result in less efficiency - thus a lower % on paper - but does not affect actual production. This is often the case when attending a group meeting for 15 or 20 minutes, discussing an issue with a supervisor, or performing general housekeeping duties, which are indirect labor. Either way, just know there will be no bonuses for better work.

This is not a company to work for if you are planning to advance in your career. The company is 130 years old, so you have to either wait until someone retires or dies to move into a better position (even in those cases, it is often left unfilled).

Again, the work itself is somewhat mind-numbing and easy to grasp for most people, and the success or failure of the individual comes down to their attitude. For a high school graduate or GED recipient, this might be an okay fit. Beyond that, not so much.
Busy
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee), Hebron, KYFebruary 21, 2015
I learned a lot
Co workers make it fun
Long days
Wish we had a set time to get off
Management is ok
Always have to make sure things are right cause the product goes to the hospitals
Had a poor manger
Hospital Inventory Management Coordinator (Former Employee), New Haven CtFebruary 19, 2015
The manager I worked for did not follow all rules. Had material that should have been returned for credit throw out several times. Seemed to pick on certain employees. Said that employees would work together as a team and be held equally for problems which did not happen.Took action aganist employees when they were doing the job of others to the best of there abilities when they were out of work. Did not seem to be the right person for the job in many ways.
Easy going work environment
Warehouse Associate/Order Puller (Former Employee), Ashland, VAFebruary 16, 2015
This employer offered a great working environment. Steady, fast-paced working conditions. Unfortunately, this was a temporary assignment and a permanent position would have provided me with more stable.
I dont know how the supervisors got their jobs
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee), Urbandale, IAFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: your coworkers
Cons: supervisors, warehous leads, favortism, and alot more.
These supervisors and warehouse leads have no idea how to run a warehouse efficiently. All day I would see these 3 leads chatting, laughing, singing to the radio, and playing on there phones. I have personally caught the warehouse lead playing games on his phone multiple times in the same day, hes also been caught sleeping off a hangover at work. I am still not sure why is position even exist to be honest. But he isn't the only one cause the guy who is the head of the warehouse has been caught watching movies in his office.

Favoritism in this place is absolutely horrible and obvious, where if you get into their little club it seems that you can just hang out and talk with the leads for half a day. But if they don't like you they will give you horrible order to pick that will ruin your times and write you up for having poor numbers. That stuff just blew my mind.
Great family environment
Jr. Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: benefits and customer feedback
Cons: corporate restructuring
Great family environment with fellow co-workers. Challenging and fast paced workload. Management engaging but constrained by the environment of a centralized corporate office. Extremely detailed and accurate data reporting that internal and external customers depend upon for business decisions. Satisfaction of positive feedback due to my reporting.

1 2 3 4 5

About Owens & Minor

Owens & Minor (O&M) makes sure surgeons aren't left empty handed after shouting, "Scalpel, stat!" A leading distributor of medical – Read more

Owens & Minor Salaries