Owens & Minor Employee Reviews

To many bosses. Not enough workers.
Order picker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2016
I worked at the Austin branch. It was a nightmare. One manger and or lead would tell you to do one thing and then another would say the opposite. They really need to learn how to communicate with each other before giving orders.
After I had been there for a couple of weeks they took away the breaks and we only got a 30 minute lunch.
They would have one person setting up all the lines for the next day and yell when it couldn't be done in 30 minutes, which was crazy considering how many totes had to be built. They would stack said totes 6 to 7 feet tall and somehow expect a person of 5 feet to reach them.
Cons
No communication
Great place to work.
Purchasing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJanuary 16, 2016
A wonder place to work just don't get sick and request your hours to be change. Too much favortism in the office.

I learned alot on how to forecast and order supplies.
Pros
great pay
Cons
bad managemnet
My staff was hard working
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 13, 2016
Owens & Minor had poor senior Management recourses were not made available to me when I needed them. I had no work life balance only worked even on my off days I work. I was salary but I was working 12 hour days mon-fri and 6 to 8 hours on my off days
Compensation and Benefits
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VAJanuary 9, 2016
This company use to be an awesome company to work for but a lot has changed over the years. There has been changes made in all the wrong areas. Down grades in compensation evaluations and time off benefits. The medical insurance is at it's all time worst. It has increased in payments and the insurance has decrease in coverage.
Pros
yearly bonuses
Cons
point system does not agree with time off or sick time
ā—¸Forklift operator,use scanners, work well with others,
forklift (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJanuary 7, 2016
Forklift operator, warehouse i work well with others in am very dependable,and reasonable always on time never call off work.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
its a job
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLDecember 29, 2015
you have a job and u get up and go there and do what you have to do. I did use to like to work on the night shift it was fun. Management was okay, they taught me a lot.
Pros
you can make the money
Cons
you will not have time to spend it
Great medical experience
Hospital Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 24, 2015
Everyday on the clock I challenged myself to do better and exceed Stanford hospital's standard. Always clocked in on time and checked in with lead about extra duties and helped out other teammates on a daily basis with duties after completion on my duties.
Excellent company
Business Integration Manager Federal Government (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VADecember 8, 2015
After spending nearly 28 years with this company I still feel a member of "the family." I was solely responsible for achieving my sales goals, and did so with a minimum of supervision.

I spent approximately one day in my office and the rest of my time visiting with my customers acting not only as a consultant, but also finding solutions to their problems and needs. It was very rewarding knowing that I was helping make people well.
Pros
O&M is a market leader with good values
Ridiculous
Warehouse coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CADecember 7, 2015
If you don't like knowing when you're going home, perfect place. If you like working thanksgiving, Christmas and NY, perfect place. I make more than some that have been here 3+ years based on my prior experience. You're expected to pick items at a ridiculous amount of time. Bathroom breaks count against your numbers, adjusting your pallet goes against you, disorganization at it's finest in managing. Hopefully I'll be out of here soon.
Pros
Teammates are supportive
Cons
No life, poor pay
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Industry, CANovember 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
N/A
Strong Company
general manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 24, 2015
Sales runs company at the detriment of operations. The demands put on by sales not ever pushing back on the customer results in higher cost to operations and overall lack of synergy.

Two sets of goals for sales and operations causes huge issues when trying to find ways to be more efficient.

I believe those competitors that can balance both will eventually take over huge market share from O&M, which is too bad as the people there are very, very good.
Pros
Pay, benefits, culture
Cons
Goals not aligned
wouldnt work there again
Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CANovember 22, 2015
14 hours a day 6 days a week was not a fun job at all...but did get to travel all over the united states so i had that going for me
Productive work invironment.
Receiving/ Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 9, 2015
The placement and consolidation of items received, using a cherry picker, and other equipment. I was responsible for crushing boxes and plastic as well as the bailing process for the equipment involved. Focused on safety and efficiency.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Working on saturdays
Overall the company is a great workplace, I've learned to use different types of tools as a picker/packer.
Shipping Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 8, 2015
Everyday picking. I learned how to use a RF gun, and how to read location of an item. The management at Owens and Minor is good and fair. The co-workers are very helpful and work together as a team. The hardest part of my job is carrying heavy boxes. The most enjoyable part of my job is to meet new people, and interact with them.
Pros
Salary, Enviroment, Co-workers, and Benefits
Cons
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 5, 2015
High importance on medical supplies and getting them to the customer fast. Treats employees very well. Non-Smoking site.
Its has been too long ago
Safety Coordinator/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 5, 2015
I honestly dont remember much about my time at roses other than I was charged with keeping theft at a minimum. I was part of loss prevention.
Healthcare Logistics, Evolved.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 30, 2015
A day in Owens & Minor has an employee, referred to as "teammates", working to process customer orders for daily route delivery. This is accomplished by being a part of one of several teams. During the day, distribution coordinators receive inbound shipments that are eventually put away in the warehouse for a later shift to fulfill outbound orders. Customer service assists customers by creating orders or resolving other issues.

The facility I worked at taught me the value of longevity in a career role but also taught me that sometimes an individual should look for a change in career. Unfortunately, advancement opportunities are slim to none especially if one proves to be efficient at their job. This facility is real bad to "pigeon-hole" individuals in job roles.

Management at the facility is your typical corporate stock. They maintain the interests of the company but also tend to work things out when a teammate undergoes a serious life change. I did not necessarily agree with management at times but they did seem to try and work with individuals in the time of scheduling needs.

The hardest part of the job is to retain morale. Being an industry leader in technology, there are constant changes being made to the operations of the facility. While this is a necessary evil for this business model, it does not promote unity among teammates. This creates an environment where individuals feel that favoritism rules the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the teammates. Over my tenure with the company, I had the pleasure of knowing everyone and
  more... becoming friends with many of them.  less
Pros
Typically M-F, Benefits (outside of medical)
Cons
Long Advancement time-frames, pigeon-holing of job titles
Warning
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Rose, LAOctober 29, 2015
Management is incompetent, they have no regards for human life. If you're desperate for a job, and don't mind working like a slave and being treated like a child, then this is the job for you, Louisiana DC only, I'm not sure how the other DC's operate but this one is a horrible place to work.
Very Dynamic work enviroment, great camaraderie amongst staff
Shipping and Receiving / Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Breinigsville, PAOctober 27, 2015
On at typical work day, we would come in and receive our order from the team lead, then depending on what account you were on you'd head to your forklift, harness up and head out onto the floor for picking. The day went by pretty fast as there was very little down time. We used every type of forklift imaginable (Hi-Lo, Double reach, Standard Forklift, etc.), in and the narrow aisles you pick next to a friend ask how there day is and then its on to your next location. It was a very competitive work environment, which made for some pretty exciting days. Best part of the job was definitely the competition amongst the staff.
Pros
Days fly by
Cons
May have to skip your break to make target
Good place to work at
Shipping Coordinator/Hazmat Lead (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 26, 2015
The people were nice and I learned a lot, I became Maintenance, I put in racking, cameras, always met with vendors, met with management on different issues.