OWENS-ILLINOIS Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work at! I have gained tremendous Labor Relations experience with O-I
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, CAMarch 29, 2016
I usually start around 5 AM and leave at 5 PM. With approximately 300 employees, it's can be challenging at times.

Pros
Great team
Cons
Need more challenges !
OI - most technically advanced glass company in world
Area Performance Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Worked from home - Prospect, KYFebruary 28, 2016
Learned an amazing amount about the glass manufacturing process.
Already had customer experience, knew a lot about bottling production lines, equipment, troubleshooting.
My responsibilities were to go to local area customers, Beam, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve / Brown Foreman Louisville bottling locations routinely and as needed to represent OI, but to ultimately assist customers in identifying root causes of issues on lines.....supply related, operator error, or machine set up. Most important part was using interpersonal skills and knowledge to build trusting partnerships with operators, mechanics, electricians....all the way up to the plant managers. I was also responsible for determining disposition of problematic ware, and oversee resorting of said ware if rejected. Hardest part of job was when OI (we) could not supply quality ware to fulfill customer production requirements. Most enjoyable was the relationships and teams that were built with the customers at all levels.
Pros
Set own schedule to satisfy customers
Cons
Different managers were involved with different customers.....directions were not always in sync
O-I is a great place to start your career
manager supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 11, 2016
OI has been a company in transition for past 10 years and like anything else, goes through cycles of ups and downs. The new CEO is will be attempting to rejuvenate the culture and operations. The company recently implemented SAP and is learning to work with this complicated and often cumbersome system. The younger employees will excel with this and benefit greatly from the experience.
Poor
Quality Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKOctober 19, 2015
The location at which I worked was not a family friendly place to work. The hours were long and the expectation was for everyone to do the same job, not the job for which they were hired.
Swing shift is insane
Box assembler (Former Employee) –  Lapel, INAugust 1, 2015
Although the pay and benefits were good, the swing shift is no way to run a company. I was told that the union employees voted to keep the swing shift and that's why it is still in effect. While I worked there, everyone was looking for another job because of the swing shift and poor management.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Swing shift
not very moral
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MuskogeeJuly 24, 2015
Company only looks after your well being as long as things are going good. If you get an illness they will can you. Morals are not of high value. They bring outsiders in with no glass knowledge and pass over the more experience ones. They expect the old school employees to train the new ones and give the new ones the better jobs. Not very much training for the hourly employees because the young managers do not know themselves.
Pros
good pay and benifits, thats all
Cons
Super bad on supporting their salary staff
Horrible Sweat shop
FMU (Former Employee) –  atlantaJune 22, 2015
The most dysfunctional work place I have ever worked. Management vs Hourly. This place will not be open much longer. No professionalism. Management team by far are the most unprofessional Un educated rednecks in Georgia !!
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
To many to mention
Great pay that's all
Assembler/ Selector (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2015
Company is judgmental and not willing to train new employees the way they should. They will place you on the floor with no training and you just have to figure out the way to operate machines on your own. Supervisors are not helpful at all either
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Employees and supervisors are not willing to train you on the machines
Manual Labor
Boxes, Bulk, Packer, (Former Employee) –  Lapel, INMay 18, 2015
Not terribly fun to work in, but paid well. It was manual labor which should say it all. Company provides opportunities for extra hours on top of the already 40 minimum work weeks.
people are great to work with
Journeyman Machine Operator / Upkeep Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lapel, INApril 2, 2015
There is never just a normal day its always different either runs good or runs bad that's just how it is in the glass industry. It is extremely hot environment, always something new to learn everyday. management mainly gives you a hard time which makes your job a lot harder shift bosses are cool, the higher bosses are hard to get along with. co-workers its all on how you get along with people.
hardest part of the job is the heat. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friends you make in there, they are what makes the job great. I love making glass
Productive workplace
Production Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakland CaliforniaMarch 4, 2015
Working in the glass industry is very rewarding. To make a product from raw material and make a quality defect free product is amazing.
Pros
great people
Cons
nothing at the present time
Great benefits and pay but a difficult weekly rotating schedule.
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Lapel, INFebruary 13, 2015
You work a weekly rotating schedule.
7 days in a row with 2 days off in between.
As a supervisor you typically work 11 hours a day.
Benefits and pay are excellent but the work schedule is tough.
Dysfunctional
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lapel, INJanuary 28, 2015
Management style is flavor of the month. In 12 years watched the company go from a traditional management to engaging people by creating a "wellness culrure", to "people are like rubber bands, you have to keep them under constant tension."

Company has no concept of preventive maintenance or process control. They do run the process faster than the capabilities and blame the operators for production instability. Equipment is not maintained and the atmosphere is a constant crisis management.

There is no understanding of safety. Facility averages 12 to 16 recordable per year. The biggest challenge to safety is constantly fighting process instability and being distracted from the surrounding hazards.

Production, safety, and work culture were all better before Al Stroken scrapped the Wellness Culture concept and desired hr to be a "profit center". Corporate resources were better before they laid off 1/3 of the Tech Center days before Christmas a couple years ago.
Pros
health insurance for union is a cadillac plan
Cons
dysfunctional management
learned multi tasking
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 28, 2014
fun place to work,employees were friendly,i learned how to multi task more efficiently,time went by to quickly
Pros
free lunches when we reached maximum quota, time elasped very quickly
Cons
had to wear hairnets on bald head, bad parking, healthcare was poor, climate was extremely hot
Owens
Selector (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 19, 2014
A typical day at work is hot with a lot to do. i learned how to run the packers and carton machines my coworkers are nice and most will help you if needed the hardest part of my job is the swing shift
Pros
money
Cons
swing swift
Life as a Computer Operator and more
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 10, 2014
I began as a weekend warrior doing back ups off of an O/S 390 mainframe. I began to rapidly move from 3rd's on the weekend, to 3rd's on the weekdays, to 2nd shift and then on 1st shift. I had trained and supervised 4 of the department resources, updated/revised the department documents, cut checks that were mailed regularly, sent out briefing reports and eventually helped decommission over 100+ boxes and installed server more during the Data Migration and the initial setup of SAP that replaced the old M/F. The only problem was that I was a contractor, I was only supposed to work there six years, which in the end lasted over six! But, I could not seem to wiggle into the company which has been my biggest disappointment as an adult.
Pros
great learning experience, awesome co-workers and work environment
Cons
impossible to move through the corporate ladder, far too much politics involved.
Worse job ever/union is a joke
Selector (Current Employee) –  Toano, VAApril 9, 2014
Honestly don't know how this plant is still open. Dump glass every day on every shift, reject ware constantly, management has no control over staff, favoritism throughout the plant; promoting unqualified workers instead of hiring outside qualified and educated workers. Safety is a joke. If random drug tests were done, no one would have a job. If you have small children or want to keep your family intact, stay far away from this place! Rotate shifts every 5 days and no downtime.
Pros
pay/insurance
Cons
management & union is a joke
Good Company, However location Closed Down
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Constantine, MIMarch 3, 2014
Facility Closed down several years after left organization. However, during my time there, it was a good company to work.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
facility closed
good pay, but thats it
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 24, 2014
OI is a good place to make good money if you are single and plan on staying that way, or if your kids are grown. But if you have young children or are beginning a marriage, it is the worst. They rotate your schedule weekly, and 90% of the time you work on the weekends. So forget about your social life. their "weekend" is really a gap of only 48 hours, literally, oh and by the way on a new schedule, like from swing to graveyards. this is detrimental to your health and biological clock, not to mention the lack of sleep puts you in a bad mood all the time. Like most other places, supervisors favor kiss ashes, they give the brown nosers the jobs they want, and give the dirtier jobs to people they don't like. There is absolutely no training, and most senior employees don't want to show you anything.
Pros
good pay, paid lunch
Cons
weekly rotating, no pension
Great culture, employees are like family and very professional.
Surface Treatment Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 30, 2013
A typical day at OI was busy with lots of project to do and customers to take care of. I learned to understand other people's priorities and to listen and validate other's views. The management were leaders and mentors more than simple boss. I developed much respect for them as real people and professionals. My co-workers were helpful and very resourceful. They knew their job really well. The hardest part of my job it was to keep up with that excellence as an entry level engineer. I learned a lot but I wanted to be more productive and contribute more to the company in my area. The most enjoyable part of my job was to deal with the co-workers and the sense of family and belonging inside the company.
Pros
great cafeteria, great sports activities, enhancing humane contact.
Cons
lots of work. not a bad thing, but it it makes you want to take some work home or stay after hours trying to get things done.