Owens Corning Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work and grow
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 5, 2016
I started with the company as an temp, answering phones for customer service. Was hired permanently in 9 months and worked in customer service for another year. Made a lateral move to Logistics and was a transportation specialist for another year. I then interviewed and was hired as an inside sales rep for the Mechanical and Industrial group. Was promoted to outside rep, or Area Sales Manager in 6 months. Took a while to break out of the call center. Interviewed 6 times, but once I did, great upward mobility. The company treats it's employees with such a high level of respect. Work life balance was fairly decent considering it was an outside role. Have a few complaints, but the positives greatly outweigh them. Middle management turnover seemed high in my sales role as I had 3 bosses in 1 year, but seemed isolated to my region. As a hole, I was in 4 departments in 5 years and had 11 supervisors. Interview process was sometimes long and drawn out. Seemed sometimes this was for the benefit of management and hr training, which is understandable, and may be complace in large corporations for all I know. I am really reaching for negatives though, since overall it was largely a positive experience.
Pros
Fair pay, great benefits, 401k, incentive program, decent work life balance for outside sales, great health center and fitness program
Cons
Interview process, middle management turnover
very good place
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 15, 2016
awesome place to work good benefits good pay good culture I recommend it. very good co-workers ,good hours ,pool table in break room ,gym ,clean bathrooms
Owens Corning
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful job with great benefits. The pay at the job is decent. Wonderful co-workers. Management is great. Great shifts. Overall Owens Corning is a wonderful place to work.
Company adjusts with need to innovate.
Maintenance Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 28, 2015
Great initiative to stay current with the modern manufacturing method involving lean principles. Affinity groups show a concern for diversity. Excellent incentive programs for both salary and hourly workforce.
Pros
Follows the lean methodology.
Cons
Career paths not apparent.
Very productive place to work.
Warehouse Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 5, 2016
It was a fun yet stressful job! The money was great, but that's not why I enjoyed my job. It was a challenge to maneuver the fiberglass rolls on the bullet truck, and was a challenge I looked forward to! My co-workers were astounding and they made the job a lot of fun!
Pros
Benefits, pay, challenging workplace.
Cons
Swing shifts.
excellent company
Crewman (Current Employee) –  Waxahachie, TX`February 6, 2016
Plenty of overtime, good people to work with. Benefits are ok but medical insurance is expensive. copays are high at dr.
Can retire from this type of company
Air conditioned in summer and radiant heated in winter
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEApril 6, 2016
Typical day included far too many meetings and little progress toward process improvement. Resources were scarce - people and equipment. Management stifled innovation. The plant leader was incompetent and proved he was only concerned with keeping his job secure. Poor leadership from the top, including general management, would not or could not take necessary calculated risks. Project management at the local level was extremely poor. Safety of employees began to take a backseat to production volume - encouraged by plant leader. Product quality was excellent, but product is very expensive, particularly in terms of transportation costs. I would not recommend this company to anyone - particularly this facility.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lack of a team/family atmosphere - extremely poor plant leadership
Very Safe and Hardworking Experience
Production (Current Employee) –  Springfield, TNApril 3, 2016
Great People
By far one of the best factories I've had the pleasure to be apart of
Very safe and great work/life balance!
Beyond your typical workplace
wonderful management
awesome team!
Pros
Saftey lunches. bingo games during break fun!! off on fridays
Cons
Honestly I can't say I know of any.
Supposedly LGBT friendly. Not depending on manager. Fired for being bisexual.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 24, 2016
Your experience here totally depends on your manager. I had one manager who was excellent. I was promoted. Raise. People loved my work. My manager transitioned departments. I had a new manager who was extremely religious and had a serious problem with my sexuality (she found out after I ran into her at a restaurant). Everything totally changed when she found out and she harassed me. Called me names. Bullied me non-stop. I talked to HR but the HR woman for my department happened to be the person my boss has lunch with almost daily. She started looking for any little thing to fire me and eventually made something up. It's a shame. I liked the company for the most part, but it made me miserable working for her and the company can't pretend to be inclusive if certain managers can act however they want.
Pros
Nice location, attractive building, pretty decent pay
Cons
Discrimination, harassment for LGBT dentity
Warning!
Dry End Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 8, 2016
In all the work was easy, data entry and minor physical labor. However, in downtime situations cleaning was the focal point. The environmental conditions did not play well when combined with the physical exertion. Management is secular and offset from production.

This plant is Union led. Even if you choose to not join the union, you are bound by union policies instead of OC policies. This is not to one's benefit.

While most of the shift personnel were excellent to work with, there were exceptions that made it impossible for me to continue employment with OC. Certain individuals were "guarded" by supervisors and allowed to harass anyone who did not conform to their blind direction.

I decided to leave due to a policy that was instituted that charged tobacco users $500 per year in a non insurance format. This combined with the harassment that was allowed was too much to handle.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lousy benefits, excessive charges for tobacco users, no reasonable advancement, Harassment
Great Work Environment, Small Town
Sales Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 20, 2016
I would recommend working for Owens Corning to almost anyone. It is a good environment with plenty of visibility to leadership if that is what you like.

It does take quite a bit of time to get alignment in order to move forward on projects or get certain things done. However, the people are great to work with, despite bouts of "Chicken Little" syndrome.

The hardest part of the job is working in Toledo. Warning: if you are not from Toledo, or if you do not have family that you are bringing with you... this is a difficult place to live. The downtown is being revitalized, but as a young professional it is hard to find things to do, or other like minded people outside of OC.
Pros
Leadership, Development
Cons
great place to work with really good people to work with
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2016
a typical day can vary from very hard day of lifting bundles of shingles all day to having all of the machines running good and doing a lot of cleaning. I learned a lot of new skills such as schematics, blood born pathagens, cpr, sap training and a lot of other things too. the management and co-workers all have a great attitude and all work together to help each other out whenever needed. hardest part of the job was working outside in the bitter cold of the teens to zero weather. the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
the pros working was having people that cared about doing their jobs well
Cons
cons, some times not getting breaks when really busy
Owens Corning is bad
Dry End Opertor (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCFebruary 14, 2016
I got hurt on the job there pulling fiberglass and was seen by two different doctors who stated that I needed an MRI done and to see an Orthopedic Doctor. 4 days later I was fired from my job and they stopped all workers comp.
Pros
Pay
Easy work for good pay.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHMarch 24, 2016
It's easy work for good pay but the Temps aren't treated fairly. Night shift takes hour long breaks. Gets messy pretty quickly but it's easy to clean up.
Pros
easy work, a few really nice coworkers
Cons
management isn't good at finding coverage or communication.
summary
Insulation Processor (Former Employee) –  Eloy, AZFebruary 26, 2016
The day at this job was loud and busy-busy and really long at times.
What I learned through the experience was working on the production line folding insulation and using the package processor
machine. My co-workers were anti-social at times, but that job required a lot of attention towards the duties we were given. The hardest part of the job was only the irritation of the fiberglass.
The most enjoyable thing about it was it was rotating shifts. It made
the job easier to adjust flexible shifts.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
fiberglass irritation
A challenging place to work, kept very busy.
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Summit, ILJune 28, 2016
Most of my time was spent on the shop floor interacting and solving problems with production employees. I've built wonderful relations with them. The most difficult part of the job was working in the elements.
Pros
Long term employees & reasonable pay.
Cons
High health insurance
Fun company, fun people
Material Properties Analyst (Former Employee) –  Granville, OH 43023July 22, 2016
Tasks were never overbearing, but ongoing and challenging in their own way. Projects were interesting and very informative. Many different areas in one building made for interesting days, meeting new people and understanding new aspects of every department.
It's an okay place to work
Process and Quality Technical / Energy Leader (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2015
Owens Corning is a good place to work but it depends on what division that you work. The pay is fair and the other compensations have room for improvement. Again, this will vary from division to division. A typical day goes by fast because there is a lot do. The co-workers are usually good people.
Pros
The co-workers are usually good.
Cons
The pension is poor.
Great co-workers made expierience great
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, WIOctober 12, 2015
Typical day was up and down depending on the day, I personally learned a lot during my time with the company. The management wasn't the greatest, and lacked complete knowledge of what was going on the shop floor. Hardest part of the job was the long hours, especially in the summer heat with horrible ventilation, but the best part of the job was the work was easy and the co-workers made the day better and the time go faster.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Management not the greatest
Physical job at times but fun place to work
Warehouse/ CCO (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 18, 2016
Days consisted of load to be filled. Work was assigned by time and due date in which crew handled. In the beginning ( 1984 ) loading was done by hand, now it all done by clamps. Most crew members were there a substantial amount of time, so we all worked together.
Pros
Great atmosphere, job security
Cons
7 day rotating shifts