Owensboro Community and Technical College Employee Reviews

Affiliated with OCTC since Fall semester 2008
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJune 4, 2014
My duties were to teach two undergraduate courses in religious studies for roughly 25 students per course for two days each week during fall and spring (and a few summer) semesters.
I learned that adjunct teaching is very rewarding, and students are grateful for the work their instructors do to provide quality education. Management changed a few times while I was there, ultimately stabilizing under the current president.
My co-workers were pleasant and supportive and willing to help me with anything I might need.
The most difficult part of my job was the compensation, which was not a living wage, a challenge all adjunct instructors face. I also had no health insurance, retirement, or vacation benefits. I never received a raise (nor did any adjuncts) while I was there. This was not so much OCTC's problem as it was a matter of the state government cutting funding to higher ed each and every year.
The most enjoyable part of my job was teaching my students each week - answering their questions and guiding them through new and unfamiliar material. I particularly enjoyed meeting with them one-on-one to assess their progress and working with them to leverage their strengths and meet their challenges head-on so they could ultimately succeed in the course.
Pros
Helping students succeed in higher education
Cons
Low wages / no benefits
The overall experience at the previous employer- love working with the students and co-workers.
Associate Professor Cosmetology (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMay 14, 2014
I served on several committees and was a chair for several so I do have leadership abilities. I had the lead in the classroom for thirteen years and I feel I was very successful by being prepared and organized. I approach everything in my life with giving it 100% and I am not afraid to ask questions if I do not understand my employers expectations of me.
Excellent place of employment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMarch 29, 2014
Everyone the welcoming, a great place to work and learn the skills necessary to be successful
Excellent place to work with great people and very little negative points
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMarch 13, 2014
OCTC is an excellent place to work. My co-workers are great people to work with and my boss is a very sweet woman. A typical day of work mainly consists of assisting people in computers or various academic subjects. I think that the best part of my job is that I enjoy my job to the fullest. This job has been a lifesaver to me and I love the people that I work with. I love my job. If it wasn't for the fact that the job is only minimum wage at part-time status, I wouldn't be attempting to leave. However, I must look for something that pays more and with more hours than that.
Pros
Excellent coworkers, management is easy to work with, job is very easy to do if you are skilled
Cons
minimum wage, less than or equal to part-time work status
Great Place to work
Program Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYOctober 4, 2013
I built the simulation for the college from the bottom up. I have had the opportunity to go and learn about simulation. Management has been wonderful until recently. Our Dean of Affairs recently found a new job. My co-worker in the simulation lab is amazing. We have always worked well together and the lab has been our goal from the beginning. I love what I do. Simulation is a passion and teaching students about nursing is a true joy. Nursing is a career choice but it is a very caring job and sometimes you can't teach that. In simulation you get to bring that through your students.
Pros
Off holidays
Cons
Money
Lots of studying
Full-time Student (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYApril 2, 2013
Was a full time student for 2 years. Graduated with a surgical technologist degree. It was kind of an elite program with only 12 students admitted after an interview in front of a board.
Pros
actually seeing the inside of human bodies and how we work.
Cons
only one lunch break during clinicals
Good
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMarch 21, 2013
OCTC have great benefits and flexible hours. For the most part, it is an enjoyable place to work:)
benefits
It worked out very well going to school and working at the same place
Work Study/Full Time Stedent (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 31, 2012
I as an older student, was able to learn the "ropes" of the college life, while attending school to better myself
Pros
easy access to everything needed to make the grade
Cons
the hourly wage was not enough to live on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Owensboro Community and Technical College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3