Oxfam Employee Reviews

Average
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 4, 2018
It was a decent place to get work experience, but I would not plan on working there.
On a typical day, I would steam clothing, hang clothes and do some work on the till. That was it really.
I learnt basic customer service.
The management was average.
The hardest part of the job was steaming clothes for extensive periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with decent staff.
Pros
Good for work experience.
Cons
Extensive tasks.
Works on important social issues
Senior Research Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2017
Oxfam is a global leader in working on issues of poverty and economic development, labor exploitation, natural-disaster and war relief. Many interesting people work for Oxfam and, if you are progressive, its politics are likely to align with yours.
Unfortunately, bureaucratic, not very nimble, some poor management.
Great place to work and learn
Global Resilient Livelihood Advisor (Current Employee) –  OxfordDecember 15, 2017
The organisation values people; it has policies to support personal development;provides opportunities to learn. The brief descriotion about the organisation is as follows:

Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. In just 15 years, extreme poverty has been halved. 15 more years and we can end it for good.
Pros
Value-based work environment
Cons
Restructuring broaught uncertainities
Oxfam is a great place to work
Coordinator, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 11, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Oxfam. Co-workers are smart and collaborative. It's a common joke that everyone has too many degrees for their position. There are two problems to note - the compensation is very low for low-level employees while it's quite high for the higher ups. There's also no clear career paths, so you have to figure out your own path to advance.
Service
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  KalmunaiAugust 2, 2017
I was work as computer operator in this company.i worked in sub agent e power
This society did follow jobs
Make toilet and selter and lively goods...
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
1 hour
Excellent and rewarding workplace
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 27, 2017
A nurturing workplace which fosters team work and provides for personal staff as well as the organisational growth. The role of the individual in the team is accentuated by the support structures in place and diversity is encouraged and embraced
Pros
Team building activities, staff benefits such as HIVcare support
Cons
short contracts
A dynamic work place where creativity and initiative area encouraged
Head of Programme / Associate Country Director (Former Employee) –  NJJuly 25, 2017
Oxfam Great Britain is a great opportunity full of challenges. I was greatly challenged on several occasions. Opportunities and resources are given for the employee fulfil.

Work culture with specific tools and procedures in place help work in an organized manner. Despite the process, the environment encourages flexibility, innovation and creativity. Learning is greatly encouraged and shared.
Amazing place, with amazing people
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
The New York City office is a very fun place to work if you continue to perform. If you have no problem approaching strangers for a good cause, this job is for you!
Pros
Relaxed Environment, Always Pushing yourself, Self Development, Working for a great cause, Family not co-workers
Cons
Many Hours on your feet (need comfy shoes) and No overtime pay
Its great working in Oxfam
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 26, 2017
I joined as devops engineer. I worked on various tools like continuous integration tool jenkins, version control tool Git, Configuration management and deployment tools chef and puppet and worked on bug tracking tools like bugzilla.
People and culture
HR Administration Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oxfam HouseJune 23, 2017
- a typical day at work:
high workload, focus, speed of work, collaboration, team work, team management, support to both internal and external stakeholders.

- what I learned: problem solving, flexibility, people management, HR practicalities

- management: approachable, supportive, no micromanagement in my team

- workplace culture: open and chilled

- the hardest part of the job: workload - both some processes and communications can be streamlined to ease workload.

- most enjoyable part of the job - all of it.
Pros
Good mission, good people in general and chilled culture
Cons
Workload
terrific place to work while making an impact
Agriculture Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2017
Oxfam is a terrific place to work. Dedicated, intelligent, driven, caring people throughout the organization. Work on social justice issues that truly effect disadvantages people's lives.
Good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  NewcastleMay 6, 2017
Fun productive very nice place to work but had to leave as i wanted to fulfill my passion and become a chef. I thank oxfam for letting me fulfill my potential
Pros
Close to hone
Meaningful Work
Member (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 21, 2017
Oxfam was a great place to work because of the diversity and meaningful work. I enjoyed working on different campaigns that constantly kept the work changing.
Fun People
Assisted Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2017
Great purpose to raise money to fight hunger and the oppressed. The fundraising is done in NY, NJ, Boston and other places. Must have stamina, a heart and be able to stand long hours and talk to people about the mission with passion.
Fun and nice
Oxfone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Oxfam HouseMarch 28, 2017
Good group of people, but the work could be quite monotonous, but because you were doing it for a good cause you didn't mind too much. Excellent working environment, good support.
Great working enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales,ukFebruary 3, 2017
Really enjoyed the job and work environment and working with the people. Warm loving family of workers. will work there again. It was always nice seeing how many people volunteered and donated.
amazing place ot work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 16, 2017
to be doing something for the betterment of other whilst earning money! one of my favourite jobs, met some amazing people and had great times! wish i could go back but is one of the most stressful career paths also
Pros
met amazing people and had lots of fun
Cons
lotf of walking, job security
It was fun working there
Volunteer Fund Raiser (Former Employee) –  OxfordJanuary 4, 2017
I learnt to work effectively without expecting a reward. My coworkers were very warm and helpful. The hardest part was when customers had to be turned away because it was time to close. The most enjoyable part was working towards a worthy cause.
keyana coffee
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Oxfam Great people very family oriented everyone worked as great team leaders showed great examples for each other and really made us think about how privileged we where no matter what we go through in our daily life , as we all know sales are open and d own so there where good times and bad times but each team learned and team made it there duty that everyone was comforted the hardest part of the job was dealing with rejection and words of people that hurt when doing your job just learning to over come them the part I enjoined was knowing a life was saved only reason that I parted ways was to peruse my dreams and be the one to help these people all across s the country in a different way but it was a very great experience and job
Pros
great breaks great people
Cons
rejection
Fun place to work
Finance and MIS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2016
Work with the program directors to provide administrative support for international projects promoting economic and democratic ideals. Smart and dedicated individuals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

Personal Development
2.9

Career Opportunities

Family Support
4.2

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight