Oxfam Employee Reviews

keyana coffee
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Oxfam Great people very family oriented everyone worked as great team leaders showed great examples for each other and really made us think about how privileged we where no matter what we go through in our daily life , as we all know sales are open and d own so there where good times and bad times but each team learned and team made it there duty that everyone was comforted the hardest part of the job was dealing with rejection and words of people that hurt when doing your job just learning to over come them the part I enjoined was knowing a life was saved only reason that I parted ways was to peruse my dreams and be the one to help these people all across s the country in a different way but it was a very great experience and job
Pros
great breaks great people
Cons
rejection
amazing place ot work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 16, 2017
to be doing something for the betterment of other whilst earning money! one of my favourite jobs, met some amazing people and had great times! wish i could go back but is one of the most stressful career paths also
Pros
met amazing people and had lots of fun
Cons
lotf of walking, job security
It was fun working there
Volunteer Fund Raiser (Former Employee) –  OxfordJanuary 4, 2017
I learnt to work effectively without expecting a reward. My coworkers were very warm and helpful. The hardest part was when customers had to be turned away because it was time to close. The most enjoyable part was working towards a worthy cause.
Great working enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales,ukFebruary 3, 2017
Really enjoyed the job and work environment and working with the people. Warm loving family of workers. will work there again. It was always nice seeing how many people volunteered and donated.
Great place to work to make the world better!
Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 15, 2016
It was a great place to work that gives you a sense of social contribution.
The company opened my eyes to less privileged people.
I was moved by the people's good heart in giving. I came from a country where giving is not part of our lives.
Their management is not strong and good. At least that it is good that they pay attention so that they do survey called "grate place to work" to tackle problems employees are facing but their improvement is so slow. One of biggest issues is inequality in salary for women.
My co-workers are great and they embrace diversity I love.
Pros
flexible work hour, great benefits (especially health insurance)
Cons
internal change, lots of lay off
Fun place to work
Finance and MIS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2016
Work with the program directors to provide administrative support for international projects promoting economic and democratic ideals. Smart and dedicated individuals.
Amazing NGO
Financing for Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2016
Oxfam America is a great place to work. Employees are truly passionate about the important work that the organization pushes. I was given responsibility and guidance on a daily basis.
People were friendly and nice.
Information Technologist - Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, CebuAugust 7, 2016
Everyday is so easy and calm, people were friendly and nice.
The manager is friendly with a strict compliance on organizations protocol and policies.
Great place
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
Great place to work.Great team and co-workers.Great boss and really care about you.Cons are its not taht reliable of a job.
Pros
Nice environment, nice boss
Cons
no work security
Great place to work within the humanitarian field !!
HR Professional (Former Employee) –  Oxford, UKDecember 6, 2015
Oxfam is one of the oldest and most reputable humanitarian organizations in the world. It was a real opportunity for me to start my professional career with it. I really learned a lot and find their mission very noble.

I would totally recommend anyone interested in the humanitarian field to join them.
Real Commitment to Social Change
Leading Consultant (Current Employee) –  Santo DomingoFebruary 17, 2016
Oxfam is a great place to work and to collaborate with because of their firm commitment to Social Change and Social Justice. Truly inspired and absolutely competent people.
Productive and Lovely Atmosphere
Sales Assistant/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Queens RoadOctober 27, 2015
Supportive team. Customers were lovely and always a great atmosphere. variety of tasks set, all which were enjoyable. Gained all the experience and customer service skills required to work in a retail environment.
Pros
Flexibilty
Very good
Project Officer - Public health, livelihood & DP (Former Employee) –  Kilinochchi. Mullaitivu, Vavuniya, Mannar,September 22, 2015
I learn more key aspects from the Oxfam GB through the Emergency response and Development project in many districts. the management appreciated my performance and given more opportunity to working several part of the country.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
healthcare
My first real job
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Gobabis, Ben-HurJuly 31, 2014
I learned a lot at Oxfam and worked with and for marginalised poor rural communities undertaking community upliftment projects and lietracy programmes.

In overall the purpose was to improve the socio economic conditions of the marginalised rural poor through education and enabling them and thus empowering them to take charge of their own destiny.
Pros
taught me to appreciate what i had and that i was well off
Cons
lots of fieldwork which I enjoyed
Interesting job in an extremely complex working environment
COUNTRY HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Juba, South SudanOctober 13, 2013
Day starts with review of the priorities for the day. Requests, queries, questions on various HR issues start streaming in from managers and teams.
Everything is urgent so planning and prioritising is important. Management very supportive. Co-workers demanding and complex and therefore extra attention needed to be given to their needs. Hardest part of the job was in terminating contracts coming to an end naturally or involuntarily. It would meet with hostile reaction from the staff affected. Most enjoyable part of the job was visiting teams in remote locations, they would be feel valued and appreciated.
Pros
Hard to Work Allowance of £3, 500 per annum
Cons
Harsh climate, lack of good social services (medical, schools) in Juba
A professional place to develop a career
Program Officer (Former Employee) –  VietnamApril 25, 2014
I like Oxfam a lot as it has a very professional operation and management mechanism. Also benefit package is also very good. Oxfam promotes for the development of staffs in general and for female staffs in particular which many other organizations do not take into consideration.
Pros
staff training and development
Cons
Does not have a fund for Farewell party
What a life changing experience.
Leader/Decoration (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIOctober 22, 2012
I volunteered for this position. I decided to take the event course to really figure out how much I loved event planning. That's when I really found myself. I felt so moved by the Oxfam event we did, let alone learned more about how hard it is to work in group settings.
Kinder gentler environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2015
A well funded non profit. Non profit does not mean no money. Oxfam tries very hard to keep their employees happy. But there is still a lot of turnover.
Pros
Very nice people, many of whom are mission oriented
Cons
Small office, limited growth opportunities.
productive work place
Gender Justice Thematic Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2014
I’m in a fellowship program and serving at Oxfam America organization, my job is focusing on gender and women empowerment issues.
I’m enjoying working with Oxfam America because the work environment is very good
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Health care
Good work place with a cross-culture and social man power.
Senior Field Logistician (Former Employee) –  Southan SudanFebruary 24, 2012
A relief International NGO fighting hunger and poverty in the marginalized communities around the world.
Pros
free accommodation, meals, travels etc.
Cons
comprehensive medical cover, air tickets, social welfare etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3