Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

A good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Ludlow, ShropshireDecember 24, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: voluntary (unpaid work) and have to come in during christmas and other holiday times
Working at Oxfam is good, some days can be challenging, other days it can be dead as a dodo.

It's fun to work with others and make new friends.
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGDecember 18, 2014
fun, helpful and friendly place to work.
the co workers were really helpful in explaining everything to me and teaching me how everything works around the shop floor
productive and fun to work with
charity work (Former Employee), London, ENGDecember 16, 2014
Pros: long break, free food, working with different people
working at a charity has helped me boost my confidence as i was able to approach customers in a friendly matter. i use to volunteer 1 a week and every week i was able to learn something new. from this experience i was taught how to price the items, operating the tills, sorting out clothes, producing a weekly financial spreadsheet and helping out customers. – more... this has helped me realize what business life is like once you get into it. i was a trust-able and friendly person as the manager would leave me on the tills on my own. the employees on the workforce were really friendly and i was able to get along with them very quickly as i ma easy going. the workers were from different backgrounds and i loved working with them on the workforce. The hardest part of the job was sorting out the clothes and pricing them. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and operating tills. i was able to adapt to the environment very quickly. – less
experience in different working ideas/shop displays ornaments
shop volunteer (Former Employee), Helston, ENGDecember 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches bus fare
Cons: normal workng week
learnt about various items different and unusual
from working in mini supermarket at mullion holiday park
in the tourism leisure

Overall rating* 5

Job Work/Life Balance 5

Salary/Benefits 3

Job Security/Advancement 5

Management 5

Job Culture 5
Working in oxfam was great, it's a vibrant community.
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee), London, ENGDecember 15, 2014
Pros: lovely people
Cons: no cons
once i arrived i would deal with the clothes that got donated and prepare them to ever go in store (To sell when there in seasons) or to go on the shop floor to get sold. after that i would go on the till and help deal with any quiries that any of the customer have. the best part of the job is that i am around extremely friendly workforce. the hardest – more... part of them jobs was when there was sales and we would have a lot of people but the workforce was so driven we dealt with the customer quickly. – less
Nice place to work
Work Experience (Former Employee), Yeovil, ENGDecember 14, 2014
I was nervous upon starting but the staff were nice and friendly and eased me in quickly. A typical day included sorting through things that could be put onto the selves and also what items could be sold online. Through this work experience I learnt how to put items on the internet to be sold and also learnt what was appropriate to sell. The hardest – more... part of working at Oxfam was getting my head around the average working day regarding hours. The most enjoyable part of working at Oxfam was the nice and friendly staff. – less
A place where to enjoy while working hard
Shop Manager (Former Employee), Epsom, ENGDecember 12, 2014
Pros: see the results of hard working at the end of the week.
Cons: luck of appretiation from superiors.
Planning work load for every volunteer depending on sales and costumer's demands.
I've learn how to deal with people and costumers in unexpected circumstances, how to manage people with different backgrounds, expectations and disabilities, always with respect and bringing the best out of them.
The hardest part of these job was dealing with the demands – more... of my superiors, many times unrealistic.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the wiliness of the volunteers and see costumers satisfaction. – less
Good Experience
General Assistant (Former Employee), KirkcaldyDecember 9, 2014
I did what ever i was asked to do from taking donations,stocking shelves,cleaning & pricing clothes to pricing on & sorting posters on the PC.
Easy going workplace, friendly staff & nice customers.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chester, ENGDecember 1, 2014
Pros: easy going atmosphere, friendly staff & friendly shop management. varied work which kept you busy, & never bored.
Cons: no realistic job prospects.
There was some choice in what you did on your shift. E.g: you could stay on till, or price-up books, or prepare clothes for future stock. There was a high level of variety as you could switch duties from one hour, to the next. It was never boring work, & it was not pressured.
A good company to volunteer for, if that is all you wanted to do. Unfortunately, – more... there didn't seem to be any real prospects of advancing into paid work within Oxfam's retail division. You are either a manager or a volunteer, there aren't any go-between roles which are paid. I had to leave for personal reasons, but would return if/when the time was right. – less
voluntary work at a great workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), ThirskNovember 28, 2014
I worked at oxfam as a volunteer. I helped in the stock rooms, decorating the shop windows, cleaning and tidying the shop floor and seeing to customers needs. The job was very enjoyable and it helped that the rest of the staff were easy to get on with.
volounteer work
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), Rugby, ENGNovember 23, 2014
it was great working here, everyone was so kind and thoughtful, they really help you to settle into the shop and was there is you needed any help.
oxfam is a NGO
project assistant (Former Employee), haitiNovember 21, 2014
I m come from Haiti this company is a NGO company ,I supervised the workers make a report to my manager and make sure is everything is ok
Friendly atmosphere
Collecter (Former Employee), birkenheadNovember 21, 2014
Even though I was only round the age of 10-12 when I did volunteering work there it was always a nice atmosphere and everyone was always so kind and friendly.
a fun place to work
STORE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Godalming, ENGNovember 19, 2014
Pros: relaxed environment
Cons: often monotonous
A highly flexible working environment, only working once a week for 2 hours. One of the most fundamental things i learnt was how to relate to people from all walks of life. Management was fairly relaxed and I was often left to figure things out myself. Co-workers were friendly and easy to relate to. The hardest part of the job was having to shuttle – more... to and from work during the school day. The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to work in a world renowned organization. – less
productive, good working environment
sales assisstant (Former Employee), High Street, ENGNovember 12, 2014
from volunteering at Oxfam I learned how products are brought into the shop and how they are tested to make sure they are all in good condition as products entering Oxfam were mainly donations.
I spent time working on the till, and also time working in the back to check products.
I found the managed meant to be good, they were fair and were clear with – more... the tasks that needed/wanted doing. Everyone else working there was friendly and very welcoming when I joined.
I didn't find much of the job difficult but when I was unsure would always ask.
I enjoy working with customers and helping them in anyway I can. – less
teamwork
retail (volunteer) (Former Employee), KeighleyNovember 12, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hard work
everybody was friendly with each other, everyone just wanted to help. Really good work environment.
Interested and busy
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, LincsNovember 11, 2014
Since being made redundant I have been partaking in voluntary work at age uk and Oxfam where I have gained valuable retail skills and a Level 1 Certificate in Retail Knowledge with Grantham college. I would now like the opportunity to use the skills I have gained in a paid job.
Productive and great collegues
Unwrapped Administrator Internship (Current Employee), Oxford, ENGNovember 8, 2014
For the first time in my life I feel I am on the right place.
The team is always ready to help you and share communication openly.
a fun and enjoyable job
volurntry (Current Employee), tamworthNovember 4, 2014
i work on the tills, helping customers, repolenishing stock
Quiet and peaceful.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, ENGNovember 4, 2014
Pros: short hours
I enjoyed working for Oxfam as i wasnt under any pressure to work at a fast pace, the work place has a calm and peaceful environment with friendly and polite staff.

1 2 3 4 5

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more

Oxfam Photos