Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

Basically what I did when I was there
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), GuisbroughFebruary 21, 2014
I steamed the clothes, served the customers and I helped out on the shop floor. I got along with pretty much all of them. The part I like the most was serving the custimers
Great Management Opportunity
Shop Manager (Current Employee), Wishaw, SCTFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good job satisfaction
Cons: extra voluntary hours required to complete heavy workload
A typical day at work consists of managing the volunteers on site, identifying the shop departments needing attention to boost sales and appeal, Dealing with all communications from head office, implementing new procedures, keeping new products stocked up, delivering regular training to volunteers, delegating tasks throughout the team, general day to – more... day running of the shop from open to close and providing weekly and yearly reports to account for the shops activities and sales. I am also responsible for creating budgets, health and safety for both my shops and following self generated business plan.
I have learned a great deal at Oxfam. I have learned how to manage two shops simultaneous, manage people/volunteers, financial management and treasury, dealing with the challenges of managing volunteers ans sourcing stock to sell in a charity shop environment, pricing, sorting and preparing stock for sale, researching high priced items and learning how to multi-task a high workload effectively.
I am a hard worker and this job has really showcased to me what I can do in a pressurized environment.
The team I have created and cultivated are well structured and a harmonious team. I have total respect for my team as they have for me.
The hardest part of the job has to be the workload but I have managed it effectively for the past 4/5 years and it has taught me to be hyper efficiant.
The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the volunteers, charitable contribution my shops make and the satisfaction of doing something fundamental good. – less
I enjoyed working as a volunteer.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Worcester, ENGFebruary 17, 2014
I worked as a volunteer at oxfam i gained stock experience and till experience
Fun workplace
VOLUNTEERING (Former Employee), Grimsby, ENGFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: good place to work
I loved working here because the people was lovely, It was good work and easy to do.
More job skills
Deputy Manager (Current Employee), Cobham, ENGFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: helping those who cannot help themselves.
Cons: no salary!
It was a big step to move into the Charity retail sector. Working for a great cause and learning the retail environment was worthwhile.
Volunteer (Former Employee), UxbridgeFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: you could choose the hours you worked
Cons: sometimes business could be slow
A typical day at work involved using the till, serving customers and managing stock.
Co-workers were very friendly and young, so I was able to get along with them very quickly.
Good feel factor
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee), EnfieldFebruary 5, 2014
I got a lot of job satisfaction from selling goods in order to raise money for those in great need
Very funy
Manager assistant, Volunteer (Former Employee), Luton, ENGJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: you can buy very good and cheap things
I start work in this shop, that to get more communication with people and improve my English. From Lithuania I have a high Retail Management level and here I didn't learn a new things.But I was happy that I have chance all day talk with people and more learn English.
Just voluntary
Sales advisor (Former Employee), welwyn garden cityJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free training
Cons: lack of pay
Just voluntary work, but i was given free reign in doing the window displays and was till trained so it was a great starting point into retail.
volunteer
Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), nottinghamJanuary 23, 2014
as part of volunteering i was helping customers with get what they wanted to buy and i also was able to do stock checks, i have learned how to work in a team and manage to use to till properly, i enjoyed doing this as it gave me a chance to socialise with new people and meet new people
fun at workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Redhill, ENGJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: longs hours
worked on the till
manage money
my manager is nice to work for
l get on with my co- workers
lifting
meeting customers
Good place to volunteer if Intereseted In Retail work
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Cleckheaton, ENGJanuary 22, 2014
I achieved my N.V.Q. Level 2 In Retail and my N.V.Q. Level 3 In Retail Managment through Oxfam and Park Lane College
productive and fun working place
Volunteer Health and Safety Assistant Officer (Current Employee), OxfordJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: n/a
very exciting, productive , friendly and a fun working place.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Voluntary) (Former Employee), Cleckheaton, ENGJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch
I would open up and close the Oxfam shop, cash up. Stock up clothes, toys, toys, DVDs, CDs, and what we needed to top up. The most I enjoyed of working for Oxfam was meeting new people.
enjoyed my employment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Cambridge, ENGJanuary 16, 2014
enjoyed my employment with oxfam, serving customers and rotating the stock felt natural
Volunteering work
Sales assistant (Former Employee), Welwyn Garden City, ENGJanuary 15, 2014
It was a volunteer job,once a week.It was a quite job where we renew the old books, sell music, books, cards and diaries.The philosophy of Oxfam is to increase the sales and is a charity organisation.
I had wonderful colleagues and a made friends from there.
Generally, it wasn't a heavy job, except the weights of books.I was really enjoyed that period – more... in Oxfam and I visit them as a customer now. – less
good bit of experience
Volunteer (Former Employee), High Street, ENGJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: free cups of tea and cakes/biscuits
Cons: was a bit quiet sometimes
good experience, not the most exciting job but it was useful
Day at work
Volunteer Finance Assistant (Current Employee), Newcastle upon Tyne, ENGJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no wage
Assist with recording and processing of Oxfam charity shop income and/or associated expenditure for the Oxfam shops.
Responsibilities include logging/filing shop income returns, data checking & entry, query handling, bank reconciliation work, supervision of other volunteers, checking invoices, processing invoices, problem solving, customer care, mail – more... sorting, record maintenance and assisting with mail outs.
Good numeracy skills, attention to detail, knowledge of IT, efficient, organised, flexible and have good interpersonal skills. – less
fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Sheffield, ENGJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: no cons
dealing with customers on a daily basis
keeping the shop floor cleen and tidy and maintaining health and safety regulations
friendly co-workers
not very good
Assistant (Former Employee), bristol westbury on trymJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: it was for a good call
Cons: manager was no good
I enjoyed the first week of being there but after that gt fed up with the manager being out the back and not showing what everything was

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more