Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

experience gaining
Volunteer (Former Employee), urmstonJune 25, 2014
Oxfam was my first type of employment where I firsted gained knowledge of what it was like to work in the real world, this was very useful to me. Typically at oxfam i would work on the till, sort appropriate clothes out for resale and also manage the stock on the shop floor. It was an all-round job, taking part in everything.
good place to work
volunteer (Former Employee), redhillJune 24, 2014
Pros: volunteering to help oxfam
Cons: when the till didn't work
A typical day would be an average amount of customers looking around the shop, because I came after school time I saw a lot of younger primary school children with parents shopping for toys and clothes, I have learnt a lot of ways to help and interact with customers as well as difficult ones and how to use the till. The management was very good and – more... the manager was very polite and warm to her collogues, the hardest part of the job was if the till stopped working and there were a line of customers and my co-workers were very nice, polite and easy to get along with, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I helped and volunteered to help a good charity. – less
A great charity
Volunteer / Shop Assistant (Current Employee), St. Austell, ENGJune 24, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours; doing something to help those less fortunate
Cons: because you're a volunteer, you don't receive a wage.
When I first started volunteering, I was unsure of it but once I got into it I enjoyed it. The other volunteers are fun to work with and in the end we're all aiming for the same thing, to make the charity a success!
Productive and insightful
Shop Attendant (Former Employee), Kingston upon Hull, ENGJune 17, 2014
Pros: familiarised myself with the till, regular contact with customers, busy working environment so there is always something to do.
Cons: monotonous
As this was my first taste of real employment, it was intriguing to come face to face with the working world.

I would work behind the till, tidy the shop, put out new stock, iron/clean clothes in the back etc, alternating with other members of staff, always putting their needs before my own.

I learned a great deal about working in a team for a common – more... goal. Customers always come first, this notion was solidified during my stint at Oxfam.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having regular contact with customers as this is an area of business I am particularly interested in. – less
n/a
Volunteer (Former Employee), Great Dunmow, ENGJune 16, 2014
it is a lovely place to volunteer, everyone is very welcoming and patient when learning new things.
Productive and Fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee), Darlington, ENGJune 15, 2014
Volunteering at Oxfam was quite an experience , a typical work day would be helping other volunteers get stock out on the shop floor , and open making sure that the store is clean before opening time and there would be various jobs to do during the course of the day such as help out on the till or steam clothes at the back or sort them out and you could – more... sort any product that is brought into the store and that would go on during the whole day until closing time then me and the rest of the volunteers would tidy up the store before leaving.
Volunteering at Oxfam helped to enhance my people skills and professionalism around customers, I also learned leadership skills and also enhanced my listening skills. – less
Fun place to work!
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Liverpool, ENGJune 12, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, a lot of experience gained.
Cons: repetitive roles at times.
For a voluntary job this was a wonderful little job to have.
The staff where all lovely and I gained so much experience in the short time I was there. A great way of starting into the retail scene and gaining more confident if you are a nervous person like me.
Also, the hours were so flexible so it didn't interfere with my university course at all.
Volunteer basis, Fun and socialable!
Online Sales Volunteer (Current Employee), Louth, ENGJune 10, 2014
Pros: freedom to do any task that i like
Cons: small work space, sometimes cold.
Volunteer based employment

I volunteer two days a week, i maintain the computer equipment and ensure that all orders placed are dispatched the same day.
A responsible way to make a difference
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGJune 4, 2014
Pros: being able to buy cheap stuff as soon as it came to the shop, free tea and coffee.
Cons: not enough staff
Lots of people trusted the shop staff, they've must of established themselves.

What I didn't like was that some staff were playing the volunteers against each other.

The hardest part of the Job was the pressure put by the staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and satisfaction of helping people.
Rewarding
Volunteer Co-Ordinator Supervisor (Former Employee), NationwideJune 3, 2014
A rewarding and humbling experience working as part of the Oxfam team.
Very useful learning experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Earls Court, LondonMay 29, 2014
Pros: work experience, flexible working hours, convenient, friendly staff
Cons: tedious at times
I worked for Oxfam for two weeks as part of work experience I decided to undergo. The flexible working hours are fantastic, and allow me to achieve a much better work-life balance in general. However, the salary is not ideal, and there is very limited movement within the salary band. It was a good learning experience for later life working for Oxfam. – more... I had a feeling of self-worth by contributing with Oxfam. They're a worthwhile company to work for in the sense I was working with other people. My co-workers were very helpful especially as it was my first time in a job environment. They gave me directions and ways in which I can better contribute to the shop. I never found the job hard but I did occasionally find it tedious. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know your co-workers and developing a good relationship with the customers. – less
Productive, nice atmosphere and great team cooperation.
shop assistant (Current Employee), Canterbury, ENGMay 27, 2014
Pros: free snacks and beverages, work experience.
I start the day behind the till, selling merchandise to customers, assist customers with browsing for products, stacking shelves, pricing merchandise, money management of the till and working as a team. Working for Oxfam has added to my confidence for working in shops and has helped me to work as a team in a shop environment.

The shop is well managed, – more... my co-workers are friendly and are very helpful towards work. The best part of the job for me is when I help customers find certain products, or guide them to specific locations in the local area as I enjoy helping and communicating with new people. – less
fun place to work
flexible hours
flexible days
good management
good work mates
Oxfam was a fun and exciting place to work with as you are doing the job for charity. Also the people i worked with were all very friendly.
Customer Service (Former Employee), London, ENGMay 17, 2014
When you work at oxfam you are expected to go to the stock room and make sure its all tidy and safe for people who work in there, also before the goods go out for sale i had to check everything make sure it fit for sale and price everything up.

What i learnt was you can't slack and any point, you must be on task at all times until its your break time. – more... Also i got the opportunity to work behind a till which i quite enjoyed as this was something very new to me.

The people who also worked with me were all very nice and easy to get on with, they were always there if you needed another pair of hands to help you out.

i didn't find anything to challenging while working here, the only one thing i could think of was when i was using the till and there wasn't change so i was in a awkward position.

My most enjoyable part of this experience has to have definitely been working in the sales area as i would go sort out the shelves, hang clothes up, Make the window display look nice and ask customers if they are okay or needed help. – less
good to work for,
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Inverness, SCTMay 13, 2014
Sorting out bric-a-brac, pricing clothes, cleaning and serving customers. good for learning new skills.
best shop in the world
Volunteer (Former Employee), Kingston upon Thames, ENGMay 12, 2014
Pros: free lunch, fun times, long break, good people.
Cons: sometimes get a little slow.
the management are friendly, fun, a little weird but the best people you will ever meet.
the volunteers are hard working, it really makes a difference to be working because you want to and not because you have to.
you learn to use the till, organize donations, price clothes, steam clothes, stock check and much more.
i would say if you want to enjoy – more... work and have fun whilst still getting stuff done then oxfam is the best place to go. – less
Very friendly place to work
Shop assistant (Former Employee), Tralee, KYMay 8, 2014
Pros: giving back to local area
Voluntary work, Friendly environment, great to feel like your helping out others in greater need.
Fun place to work, very organised.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Dursley, ENGMay 6, 2014
Pros: free tea and biscuits
Cons: you get bored in the quiet hours
When I was a volunteer in Oxfam, I really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and very helpful getting new members on their feet. Cleaning and pricing was a lot of fun. The best part of the day was seeing satisfied customers after you going out of your way to help them look for things around the store.
ALRIGHT
Work Experience (Former Employee), Manchester, ENGMay 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
BEST PART OF THE JOB IS FREE LUNCH IF YOUR WORKING A FULL DAY

ITS OKAY GETS BORING IF YOUR DOING FULL HOURS ALL WEEK.
Book sorter-Volunteer
Voluntary worker (Former Employee), Crawley, EnglandApril 30, 2014
Pros: interesting to have volunteering job
Cons: no paid
Saturdays volunteering at Oxfam shop.
Had donated books which needed to sort in alphabetical order.Sorted and exposed in the shelves at the shop.
I have learned to work on my own in the team and with customers.
Management are wonderful. Helpful and hard working people.
A shop assistants and voluntaries are friendly and helpful too.
The harderst part – more... of job was on busy days, when used to get many donations.
The most enjoyable part of job was to meet my regular customers at the shop and give them advice,chat. – less

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more

Oxfam Photos