Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

Volunteer basis, Fun and socialable!
Online Sales Volunteer (Current Employee), Louth, ENGJune 10, 2014
Pros: freedom to do any task that i like
Cons: small work space, sometimes cold.
Volunteer based employment

I volunteer two days a week, i maintain the computer equipment and ensure that all orders placed are dispatched the same day.
A responsible way to make a difference
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGJune 4, 2014
Pros: being able to buy cheap stuff as soon as it came to the shop, free tea and coffee.
Cons: not enough staff
Lots of people trusted the shop staff, they've must of established themselves.

What I didn't like was that some staff were playing the volunteers against each other.

The hardest part of the Job was the pressure put by the staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and satisfaction of helping people.
Rewarding
Volunteer Co-Ordinator Supervisor (Former Employee), NationwideJune 3, 2014
A rewarding and humbling experience working as part of the Oxfam team.
Very useful learning experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Earls Court, LondonMay 29, 2014
Pros: work experience, flexible working hours, convenient, friendly staff
Cons: tedious at times
I worked for Oxfam for two weeks as part of work experience I decided to undergo. The flexible working hours are fantastic, and allow me to achieve a much better work-life balance in general. However, the salary is not ideal, and there is very limited movement within the salary band. It was a good learning experience for later life working for Oxfam. – more... I had a feeling of self-worth by contributing with Oxfam. They're a worthwhile company to work for in the sense I was working with other people. My co-workers were very helpful especially as it was my first time in a job environment. They gave me directions and ways in which I can better contribute to the shop. I never found the job hard but I did occasionally find it tedious. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know your co-workers and developing a good relationship with the customers. – less
Productive, nice atmosphere and great team cooperation.
shop assistant (Current Employee), Canterbury, ENGMay 27, 2014
Pros: free snacks and beverages, work experience.
I start the day behind the till, selling merchandise to customers, assist customers with browsing for products, stacking shelves, pricing merchandise, money management of the till and working as a team. Working for Oxfam has added to my confidence for working in shops and has helped me to work as a team in a shop environment.

The shop is well managed, – more... my co-workers are friendly and are very helpful towards work. The best part of the job for me is when I help customers find certain products, or guide them to specific locations in the local area as I enjoy helping and communicating with new people. – less
fun place to work
flexible hours
flexible days
good management
good work mates
Oxfam was a fun and exciting place to work with as you are doing the job for charity. Also the people i worked with were all very friendly.
Customer Service (Former Employee), London, ENGMay 17, 2014
When you work at oxfam you are expected to go to the stock room and make sure its all tidy and safe for people who work in there, also before the goods go out for sale i had to check everything make sure it fit for sale and price everything up.

What i learnt was you can't slack and any point, you must be on task at all times until its your break time. – more... Also i got the opportunity to work behind a till which i quite enjoyed as this was something very new to me.

The people who also worked with me were all very nice and easy to get on with, they were always there if you needed another pair of hands to help you out.

i didn't find anything to challenging while working here, the only one thing i could think of was when i was using the till and there wasn't change so i was in a awkward position.

My most enjoyable part of this experience has to have definitely been working in the sales area as i would go sort out the shelves, hang clothes up, Make the window display look nice and ask customers if they are okay or needed help. – less
good to work for,
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Inverness, SCTMay 13, 2014
Sorting out bric-a-brac, pricing clothes, cleaning and serving customers. good for learning new skills.
best shop in the world
Volunteer (Former Employee), Kingston upon Thames, ENGMay 12, 2014
Pros: free lunch, fun times, long break, good people.
Cons: sometimes get a little slow.
the management are friendly, fun, a little weird but the best people you will ever meet.
the volunteers are hard working, it really makes a difference to be working because you want to and not because you have to.
you learn to use the till, organize donations, price clothes, steam clothes, stock check and much more.
i would say if you want to enjoy – more... work and have fun whilst still getting stuff done then oxfam is the best place to go. – less
Very friendly place to work
Shop assistant (Former Employee), Tralee, KYMay 8, 2014
Pros: giving back to local area
Voluntary work, Friendly environment, great to feel like your helping out others in greater need.
Fun place to work, very organised.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Dursley, ENGMay 6, 2014
Pros: free tea and biscuits
Cons: you get bored in the quiet hours
When I was a volunteer in Oxfam, I really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and very helpful getting new members on their feet. Cleaning and pricing was a lot of fun. The best part of the day was seeing satisfied customers after you going out of your way to help them look for things around the store.
ALRIGHT
Work Experience (Former Employee), Manchester, ENGMay 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
BEST PART OF THE JOB IS FREE LUNCH IF YOUR WORKING A FULL DAY

ITS OKAY GETS BORING IF YOUR DOING FULL HOURS ALL WEEK.
Book sorter-Volunteer
Voluntary worker (Former Employee), Crawley, EnglandApril 30, 2014
Pros: interesting to have volunteering job
Cons: no paid
Saturdays volunteering at Oxfam shop.
Had donated books which needed to sort in alphabetical order.Sorted and exposed in the shelves at the shop.
I have learned to work on my own in the team and with customers.
Management are wonderful. Helpful and hard working people.
A shop assistants and voluntaries are friendly and helpful too.
The harderst part – more... of job was on busy days, when used to get many donations.
The most enjoyable part of job was to meet my regular customers at the shop and give them advice,chat. – less
fun workplace
Charity helper (Former Employee), norwichApril 30, 2014
I enjoyed working around the customers and other employees
Fun work place
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Lowestoft, ENGApril 29, 2014
Pros: lunch breaks and the co-workers and manager were very helpful.
Cons: long hours on the first week
The workplace was fun to work in. The worked day flowed well. My co-workers were very welcoming when I started and if I ever needed help or forgot something the first few days, they would remind me and help me.
I learned to work with customers and clients on a daily basis, I gained a lot of experience in answering phone calls and problem solving. The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was actually working with people and customers, I enjoy working with customers a lot, whether face to face or just over the phone. – less
Productive and beneficial working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Milton Keynes, ENGApril 25, 2014
There was no typical day at work; some days I would work on the shop floor, greeting customers and dealing with inquiries. While no one was in the store, I would make sure everything on sale was presentable. Other days I would work on the till, this allowed me again to socialise with customers and gain confidence in doing so, where I certainly lacked – more... it before. By the end of my time there, I was confident in each job I partook in.
Majority of the time I would be sorting the stores deposits. I would decide what was worth selling and what would be recycled, being trusted within the first day to do this independently.

The environment was lovely. Daily I would meet new employees who were lovely to work alongside, as well as having a great working relationship with the manager. – less
Good cause with a positive environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Blackburn Rd, BoltonApril 21, 2014
Pros: good hours, friendly staff, positive envoronment, laid back
Cons: lack of pay, informal, some staff don't necessarily welcome younger staff as easily (i was only 14- 15)
I did enjoy completing my short placement at Oxfam due to the charitable cause in which it supports, and the atmosphere in the shop. Although this meant that business was informal in certain ways, the staff were always friendly and educated me on the skills necessary. The hardest part of the job was probably pricing, as experienced staff obviously knew – more... exactly how to price clothing, and as a 'newbie', I was very unaware and often got things wrong. – less
fun and conscience motivatied
Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Swansea, WLSApril 17, 2014
Pros: free style of work schedule
Cons: no
typical work is take all positions,
such as
1. as a stuff sort out goods in storage area (behind the shop)

2. as a casher, when the casher go out for lunch or temporary absent.

3.as a stuff take goods to different list area in the ship, basically ranked by letters, (A to Z)

4. help with the official Facebook webpage building up, and do advertisement – more... in university – less
Review of the day
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Chatham, ENGApril 17, 2014
My typical day at work is from 1pm start working up stairs starting the weeks before paper work, doing the till when needed, covering when needed, locking up the shop.
An interesting place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Jesmond, ENGApril 8, 2014
Pros: tea or coffee whenever you wish
I took the volunteering position as I felt it would benefit my studies in Fashion. I really enjoyed working there as I got to see another side of retail in the sense it was all second hand clothing, so I leant how to sort each piece and decide what would sell and what wouldn't sell.
I got along with all of my coworkers and it was an enjoyable environment – more... to work in. – less

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more

Oxfam Photos