Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

productive, good working environment
sales assisstant (Former Employee), High Street, ENGNovember 12, 2014
from volunteering at Oxfam I learned how products are brought into the shop and how they are tested to make sure they are all in good condition as products entering Oxfam were mainly donations.
I spent time working on the till, and also time working in the back to check products.
I found the managed meant to be good, they were fair and were clear with the tasks that needed/wanted doing. Everyone else working there was friendly and very welcoming when I joined.
I didn't find much of the job difficult but when I was unsure would always ask.
I enjoy working with customers and helping them in anyway I can.
teamwork
retail (volunteer) (Former Employee), KeighleyNovember 12, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hard work
everybody was friendly with each other, everyone just wanted to help. Really good work environment.
Interested and busy
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, LincsNovember 11, 2014
Since being made redundant I have been partaking in voluntary work at age uk and Oxfam where I have gained valuable retail skills and a Level 1 Certificate in Retail Knowledge with Grantham college. I would now like the opportunity to use the skills I have gained in a paid job.
Productive and great collegues
Unwrapped Administrator Internship (Current Employee), Oxford, ENGNovember 8, 2014
For the first time in my life I feel I am on the right place.
The team is always ready to help you and share communication openly.
a fun and enjoyable job
volurntry (Current Employee), tamworthNovember 4, 2014
i work on the tills, helping customers, repolenishing stock
Quiet and peaceful.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, ENGNovember 4, 2014
Pros: short hours
I enjoyed working for Oxfam as i wasnt under any pressure to work at a fast pace, the work place has a calm and peaceful environment with friendly and polite staff.
oxfam
Shop & Retail Assistant (Former Employee), sheernessOctober 29, 2014
i loved volunteering for oxfam ive never been so happy i were there.
Fun and caring place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), TamworthOctober 22, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: had to leave
I enjoyed working at oxfam as the staff are lovely people and made the day fun and different
Test Lead
Test Lead (Current Employee), Oxford, ENGOctober 22, 2014
A typical day at work starts with a standup meeting with the team to discuss where we are in terms of testing and if there are any issues. Ensuring that all the team members have work assigned to them. Going through the change requests logged by users or other stakeholders and create details of the change for approval. Once approved ensuring enough detail is added to the Change document. Supporting the team in testing bu joining them in hands on testing or helping with the automation scripts.
work experience to work alongside customers
cashier (Former Employee), greater manchesterOctober 22, 2014
Pros: wasnt busy every day
overall it was a good experience
I worked within a team and dealt with customers on a daily basis
my communication skills increase which made me more confident when approaching difficult situations
I really enjoyed my time at Oxfam
the hardest moments were when starting off and getting to know the people your working with and approaching customers
after a few hours I was perfectly fine again
Awesome, shame i couldnt get paid to do it :(
Weekend/Relief Supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge, ENGOctober 17, 2014
Pros: free hot drinks, get to read the books that come in
Allot of fun, great people, interesting work, always something to do.
An enjoyable and interesting learning experience
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Hitchin, ENGOctober 15, 2014
Pros: all staff were fair and enjoyable to be around.
My job for Oxfam entailed sorting through donations and seeing what could be sold in the shop or elsewhere, and what couldn't and then pricing them using a guide. I also organised displays on the shop floor and later on in the week I learnt how to use till so stayed there.
It was a good experience in terms of getting a starting understanding of retail and what it includes, and the issues that have to be considered whilst in the workplace (e.g health and safety, customer service). I also learnt a lot about the charity and what it aims to achieve which I was unaware of before.
I found that the hardest part of the job was the pricing aspect, as although I had the price guides, the options were quite varied so the final price was occassionally different to what I had thought it to be.
Having said this, I think that working on the shop floor was the most enjoyable part, as I got to interact more with customers and felt that this was a rewarding part of the job.
Helping the comunity
Sales associate (volunteer) (Former Employee), Helston, ENGOctober 15, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: need to be improve for the area
My general duties would be to update the Online sales sysstem with new stock. Rotate stock on shop floor. Inventory of new stock. Dealing with customers needs and questions. Dealing with stationary from head office. I have learnt that Oxfam deal with a lot of issues and help a lot of ongoing issues. Working well as a team. Helping people around the world.
Productive & Fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Frimley, ENGOctober 14, 2014
Learned to provide excellent customer service and improve my organisation.
Great sense of accomplishment from work done.
Shop assistant (Former Employee), Castlebar, MOOctober 9, 2014
Pros: great discount on in house purchases.
Cons: standing on your feet all day.
A typical day of work would start with a brief discussion with my manager about the work I was expected to do for the day and counting the float for the till. Some days l had to change the displayed items for sale on the shop window and that involved a lot of creativity and a passion for fashion in order to attract customers to come in and view and hopefully make a purchase. The challenging part of the job was to handle challenging customers. During the course of my work l learnt that the best way to deal with challenging customers is listening to the customer, honestly assessing if l am able to assist them or if the problem is beyond me ,I get proper support and work with them to ensure satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see a customer coming out of shop smiling.
Nice environment and good team
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Nottingham, ENGOctober 6, 2014
Pros: good teamwork
Cons: there is not enough control over the shop
A typical day at oxfam always starts with filling the till and organizing the display of the shop. During a day we have a lot of customers coming in the shop and buying different types of homewares, clothes or peaces of furniture. We also receive a lot of donations. We price them and then put them on displays to sell.
All these procedures help me to get more confidence and experience in my job. It also enables me to communicate with our customers and meet their needs and interests.
Managers are very friendly and always ready to help the team. They always support and motivate us.
Colleagues are very loyal, supportive, punctual and disciplined. We always learn from one another and try to be as much helpful to each other as we can.
The hardest part of the job to me is sorting the clothes. Sometimes it's hard to tell what kind of clothes people like and are willing to buy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the customers and helping them to buy what they like most.
i enjoyed working for this company alot
Volunteer Assitant (Former Employee), Dundee, SCTOctober 6, 2014
This was a great experience for myself, my first experience of working, I volunteered and it was wonderful I gained many skills, including money handling, making displays, researching certain items that came up and deciding on a price for the charity to sell it for with colleagues, great fun with great people
Tiring and stressful
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), LondonSeptember 29, 2014
I'd start the day full of energy and optimistic by the end of the day I'm over worked.
productive and challenging
Retail Assistant, Replenishment, Till Work (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGSeptember 29, 2014
At Oxfam, everyday would be a different day because we would be working at different positions at different situations, so therefore we would get experience of how to react in certain situations. I learned a lot while at Oxfam and it has made me more confident too. I have learned about till work, pricing different items, selling products on-line and dispatching items bought by customers. My co-workers were very friendly, helpful and co-operative as we had to make decisions as a team and agree with one final decision. The hardest part of the job was when I had to dispatch items and go to the post office and pay for the item, I was not sure at first, but then I learnt it slowly and started doing them confidently. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had to something different and challenging, which was really exciting.
Fun, interesting and enlightening.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Crawley, ENGSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: nice managment
Cons: long hours and not getting paid
I got on with everyone that worked there. It was a lovely environment. I would have to start at 9 and finish at 5. All day I got teas and coffees offered to me. The hard part was that I wasn't getting paid for it so some weeks I had no motivation. The manager was very laid back so that helped a lot and we got on very well.

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more

Oxfam Photos