Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

very intresting and fun
Volunteer (Former Employee), llandrindod wellsJanuary 9, 2014
this job was a volenteer job and i really injoyed it i didnt mind not gettingpayed as it still gave me the training i needed to start on with new jobs
sales assistant
Oxfam sales assistant (Former Employee), ipswichJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: helping countries around the world with our service.
In oxfam we value customer service.

My duties within this work experience placement included:

-till trained

-worked on the shop floor

-rearranged stock on the shelves, presenting the range of products including books and music.

-ran errands at the bank

-closed up the shop after the shift.
Fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), LiverpoolJanuary 8, 2014
While i was at Oxfam i was either working on the shop floor or in the back sorting out stock that was brought in to the store. While I was working on the shop floor I was cash handling, working on the till and general tidyness of the whole shop floor. When I was working at the back of the shop i was shorting out stock, pricing the stock and keep it – more... all clean and tidy. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Morden, ENGJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short hours
It was a very nice experience for me to work at Oxfam. I had part of fun everyday but I had also part of work and learning new things.
Everyday was different, I have done several things that will help me a lot in future. I had also the pleasure to work with extraordinary people around me and this made my job much easier.
great workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Poole, ENGJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: all good
Cons: no pay
great place to work easy staffing etc can't fault it however most is volentree work here
Productive,and teaches a lot, also funny and entertainig.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGDecember 30, 2013
Pros: the free lunch is good for someone working all day. people need to eat to keep up strengh.
Cons: the long hours are okey, because we work in shifts.
Working at Oxfam can be funny or difficult. It all depends on an individual. I always try to make it funny so that the job is done. When i report for work i already know what i am supposed to do that day, just by looking around. If my manager asks me to do something else, i don't object, as long as it is to do with work. By doing so i have lean't a – more... lot and made many friends without judging them, different characters but all working together for the same cause.
The management team, very good always ready to give advise and to correct when you don't understand something.
Co-workers, young or elderly, i like to treat them as friends, try to know them, their dislikes and likes. That way we work well together.
The hardest part of the job is when we get too much staff which is so smelly. It's not easy to check if there're some good items, but someone has to do it.
When we are all happy and doing our part, it makes work easy and that for me is the most enjoyable. – less
Enjoyable and awarding
Volunteer Manager (Former Employee), Sutton in AshfieldDecember 17, 2013
Pros: very rewarding work for charity
Cons: no pay, and complaints handling
My typical day at this workplace was training, hiring and sacking staff while banking monies and dealing with customer queries and complaints.

I learnt; team leading skills, how to train and develop staff while learning stock rotation and how to deal with difficult people and situations.

My co workers were really nice and they would try anything new.

The – more... hardest part of the job was maintaining good work/family relationships and sacking people was hard. – less
A happy work place
Sales assistant (Former Employee), Canterbury, ENGDecember 9, 2013
Pros: free lunch
I learned most basic sales assistant skills here and was encouraged to do and learn as much as i could. OXFAM fair trade was a brilliant and versatile work force, i met all manner of volunteers from young to old and was very proud to be part of their team.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Rode, ENGDecember 1, 2013
My experience at Oxfam helped me to understand and learn about the real working world. It also thought me how greatful we should be for our lives
Great satisfaction working as a team.
Voluntary Retail Assistant (Current Employee), SouthamptonDecember 1, 2013
Pros: 15 mins break and 30 mins lunch.
Cons: n/a
Going to work with a smile,and embracing in person to person skills as working as a team.I learnt to keep up moral and be positive in a team building environment.To manage to keep a smile and positive attitude throughout my working day.To be availible for my working team to keep all customers happy and cheerful whilst having our daily services.Im always – more... happy and reliable and didnt find many difficulties during my working hours and enjoyed knowing my taem members were always smiling with my team efforts. – less
A friendly, happy place to work
Part time volunteer (Current Employee), Barnstaple, ENGNovember 29, 2013
Pros: working with a really good team of people. doing a worthwhile job.
Cons: polishing shoes.
I sort, price and display the accessories in my branch of Oxfam. It is a constant learning experience. I am now generally able to spot a quality item by the look and feel of it, and then I research it for a price guide.
But that is only the start of my learning curve. I have learnt a lot from watching the way the manager interacts with volunteers. She – more... is wonderful - always ready to listen to our troubles, and she seems to know when to give advice, and when to stay silent. She never has too few or too many words.
There was quite a bit of backbiting going on when she first took management, but she has shaped us into a tidy little team of people who like each other, and enjoy working together.
he has also managed to conspicuously increase sales .
Everything about my voluntary job in Oxfam is a joy - except polishing shoes! – less
A Life changing work environment
Volunteer assistant shop manager (Current Employee), Gateshead, ENGNovember 28, 2013
Pros: very enjoyable
Cons: bad area for the shop to be in
The hardest but most rewarding part of the job is managing difficult people and bringing an outcome (positive or negative) in to the team.
Very gratifying
Volunteer (Former Employee), WorcesterNovember 27, 2013
Pros: seeing so many donations made by people
Oxfam was my first job experience. In the beginning I would be in the stock room, steaming clothes and pricing them. Quickly I moved on to the register, and serving customers on the shop floor.
There wasn't anything hard about the job, it had a nice atmosphere, and it was very enjoyable.
Clean, comfortable environment working for a good cause
Voluntary sales assistant (Current Employee), Norwich, ENGNovember 23, 2013
Pros: travel expenses paid to volunteers.
A fantastic charity with a policy of inclusivity.
Many different tasks to be carried out. I have learned customer relations skills and stock management skills. I have found that my fellow volunteers are all motivated, friendly and helpful and my line manager has been supportive in developing my skills and confidence. The hardest part is the physical – more... handling of books but full training is given. the most enjoyable part is interacting with awide range of people – less
productive
Volunteer (Current Employee), chatham kentNovember 18, 2013
my collegues are very friendly we work brilliant as a team.
the most enjoyable part at work is all of it i love helping this charity.
Feel good factor very productive
Shop Assistant (Current Employee), London, ENGNovember 15, 2013
Pros: meet lot's of interesting people and there is always something new to learn.
Cons: location
I love interacting with the customers and staff at Oxfam whether on the shop floor, re- stocking, serving customers at the till, or behind the scenes sorting donations and ordering new stock it is always a fun place to work.
Fun place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee), DublinNovember 15, 2013
I had great time working there, even though its a voluntary work. I like to work with customers and interacting with them.
I work from 10am to 2pm. I go in, put my stuff away and start by cleaning up the place to make sure the customers comes in and have a nice time purchasing items.
I learned that you have to be patient with some customers, and that – more... not all of them are aware where the items in the shop are from.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers, we got along very well and i learnt a lot from them while i worked there.
The best time i had there, was simply just serving the customer and seeing the satisfaction from there faces when they leave the shop and getting along with my co-workers. – less
Productive and friendly workplace
Oxfam Retail Assistant (Current Employee), Birmingham, ENGNovember 13, 2013
My shifts are flexible depending upon my own availability. My duties include working on the shop floor, customer service, stock replenishment, visual merchandising, money handling and till work. I have friendly and supportive co-workers.
Friendly, Helpful work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), High StreetNovember 12, 2013
During my time working in Oxfam I had to price goods, create different displays and put away stock. I would deal with customer complaints and help them customers choose products. I also had to ensure that the donations we recieved were of good quality and condition for resale.

I learned how to deal with customers, improved some of my skills and work – more... within a quite busy environment.

My Co-workers were very friendly and helpful. They showed me how to do everything within the shop as it was all done on a daily basis.

The hardest part of the job was watching indesirables and make sure thy weren't shop lifting.

The part of the job I enjoyed the most was meeting new people, working part of a team and hitting targets. – less
good place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Leicester, ENGNovember 3, 2013
good place to work.
lots of experienence gained
local,
friendly help
good advice

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more