Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press United States Employee Reviews

Good company facing tough times in a shrinking industry
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
Pros: relaxed environment, flexible scheduling, interesting work
Cons: low pay, slow advancement
Everyone at OUP worked very hard and were very nice and helpful. The setting is pretty relaxed, and the work very collaborative. However, academic publishing is not a growth field, and the external pressure to keep generating a profit in increasingly tougher conditions created a squeeze on the company that was felt from top to bottom.
Decent Place to Work
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Small company with close knit employees. Good CEO and great coworkers. Down side is it is a small company so the man power and technology to win large adoptions is lacking.
fun workplace
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cary, NCFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: laid back atmosphere
Cons: can't think of any
I pulled the faxes off the fax machine, batched those according to what type of order it was and placed the batches in data entry for order entry. Then I would check all of the standing orders to see if there were any new editions to order for our standing order customers. After that, on to filing the batches from the prevous day.
Management was OK, they did what they had to do.
Learning and Sharing
Sr. Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Oxford University Press gives you the opportunity to learn any and all dimensions of the job...even through stretching the parameters of your job description to learn new things and build your skills. The hardest part of the job is understanding the company culture. The best part of the job is the learning and sharing!
Tense dont want to go to work atmosphere
Entry level Creative Freelance (Former Employee), MelbourneJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great lunch room facilities
Cons: treat freelancers very badly
Freelance: started induction training first day, but was left with new software to learn and everyone too busy to speak to. Second day office "supervisor" who hired me reports back to agency to tell them I am not working up to standard??? second day?? I explain it is probably best to train me first in workflow. I enjoyed the material and really wanted to do a great job. Third & fourth day go well finally feel like I am getting a handle on the layout of document they require, even though editors stand over the top of me waving their hands loudly and intimidatingly telling the whole office how I should be doing layout. That is the routine in the creative dept obviously. Into the second week I have been hired by one trained by another and intermittent rude direction by another, all telling me to stop what I am doing and start on different task, none of them speaking to each other as they are too busy. I over hear one employee saying that so and so left because they were getting treated like a Freelancer!!! The last straw was another complaint to agency by email forwarded to me detailing my inability to do my job...aargh do not bother with entry level positions there. I noticed the toilets had counselling ads in them....!!! Horrible workplace.
sort, deliver, manage
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Cary, NCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: walking the building and learning how balance accts recieveable and accts payable
Cons: being let go because the company had me doing the job of 2 people, weren't prepared when i got sick.
At Oxford (not the school), I was the mail room clerk. I sold office supplies, sorted the incoming packaging and mail and delivered the interoffice mail for about 500 employees which at 1 point I had all their names down pact.

I answered calls and made trips to co-workers desk who needed things form the mail room. But when I wasn't busy fulfilling orders, I was stuffing envelopes, running the mail meter machine, and dropping off packages to be shipped out in the warehouse. I was glad I got to walk the building often.

Management was good until they fired everyone else in the mail room because I could do the job of 2 people. I got sick and was hospitalized and since I had no one to cover me, they let me go while in the hospital and replaced me with 2 temp agents. I was disappointed because I worked really hard to earn my spot and because they didnt know how long I would be in the hospital, they found it easier to replace me.
Run as fast as you can from this place..
Shipping Lead (Former Employee), Cary NCDecember 1, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Worked there for about 8 months.. Shipping Manager and Supervisors just used me as a buffer for Manager to go on vacation Manager hadnt been on vacation for years... already had people working there that could have filled the position from within.. I left a job to go to that dump... too much turnover they hire temps one week and they are gone the next cause they cant handle the pace.. and you are stuck re-training people week after week... not the supervisors doing the hiring and firing ... but you... do not waste your time or energy on this place...
Great Company to work for.
Gratis Coordinator (Current Employee), Cary, NCOctober 28, 2014
Daily at Oxford University I process about 100 emails a day and maintaine customers records.

The coworkers at Oxford has became my family away from home.
One of the Better Customer Service Department in the Area
Current Employee (Current Employee), Cary, North CarolinaSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, supportive team members
Cons: average pay
Management has done a tremendous job at managing out the "bad apples" in the bunch. The call center is now one of the best places to work within the organization. Really happy to be a part of such a great team! Wonderful place to work!
Don't work there
. (Former Employee), .September 4, 2014
Pros: .
Cons: .
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Great place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Cary, NCJuly 18, 2014
Interesting place to work. I learned a lot here and was able to use what I learned on other jobs.
Work is good, management poor.
Freelance copyeditor (Current Employee), at home officeJune 4, 2014
Work is done remotely, at home. therefore many of these questions do not apply.
Great products, superior brand recognition
Regional Sales Manager, ELT Division (Former Employee), Remote working from Home OfficeFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: great people, great product, great office in manhattan
Cons: company dismantled elt sales force, opting for call center approach
ELT division creates great products. Very nice to meet people who tell you that your product (Oxford) helped them learn English.
pretty cool
marketing (Current Employee), new yorkJanuary 6, 2014
lost my job due to budget cuts but it was a great place to work at.
Decent Place to Work
Previous Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cary, NCJune 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: inefficient management
Normal call center customer service job which in the past was managed better.
OUP is good but boring
Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Cary, NCMarch 12, 2013
Pros: popcorn fridays, pool table in break room
Cons: nepotism
Company suffers from nepotism and lack of room to advance careers, but it pays the bills
it's just a reviewer of science articles before those will be published
Reviewer (Former Employee), UHNovember 30, 2012
it's just a reviewer of science articles before those will be published
It is a great company to work
Staff accountant (Current Employee), Cary, NCOctober 13, 2012
Pros: good benfit
Cons: hhhhhhhhhh
It is a great compnay to work . They have a great benfitand agood working enviroment
Nice place to work
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Cary, NCSeptember 22, 2012
Pros: great book sale for employees.
Cons: layoffs!!
Enjoyed my short 2 years at Oxford. Great people and benefits.
Book Factory
Art Director, Medicine (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: good location, work from home one day per week
Cons: frequent re-organizatons, noisy cubicle offices, lack of digital infrastructure, no food service
Oxford University Press is a high volume book publisher producing over 1200 new books per year in printed and electronic form. They publish dense academic tomes written by some of the brightest minds in the world in the fields of medicine, law, politics, social science, and history to name just a few.

While their mission is noble, the organization is well behind in adopting the most current technology and not known for hiring managers with up-to-date technical skills. It is operated more like a non-profit, which it is, technically speaking, than a profit making publisher competing in the highly competitive academic space.

About Oxford University Press

Pick a word, any word. Chances are good you'll find it in some book published by the Oxford University Press, Inc. The publisher, – Read more

Oxford University Press Salaries