Oxford University Press Employee Reviews

many smart colleagues
Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2017
Oxford publishes some very outstanding books, making it an intellectually stimulating place to work, and in general the people who work there are intelligent and supportive of one-another. At times the bureaucracy and size of the company diminish the experience of working there, however.
Fantastic program
Publicity Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2016
The internship program at Oxford University Press is a great opportunity for young adults wishing to pursue the publishing realm.I learned a lot about the ins and outs of publicity with a great group of people. There is a great office atmosphere along with a fun after work crowd.
High Turnaround at University Press
Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2016
Unfortunately, most people at Oxford don't last very long. The company has incredibly high turnaround - the average tenure is about 9 months to a year. A lot of this is due to the low pay, disorganization, and blatant sexism on the part of the management. Most people don't bother to learn anyone else's names.
Pros
well-known press
Cons
low pay, sexism
IT: Stay away, outsourcing switches on yearly basis.
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2016
Great people, great location, building facilities work.

For any IT considering joining, UK OUP office switches the IT provider on a yearly basis, allowing no stability for technicians or staff.

Local NYC management has no real authority; everything is dictated to them by head office in UK.
A Bygone Era
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
When I started at OUP it was a fun place to work. It was hard work, but the work was respected. Compensation was never great, but it's non-profit academic book publishing, so it was acceptible.

Now, however, the place is run by a narcissistic few who only look at the bottom line and where the "surplus" will be next month.

Recently, dozens were laid off. All over 40. All making good money. All well-respected by their staff. All with many years experience, some into the 20-year range. All were "invaluable" to the press, and would be there for life.

Meanwhile, those who are buddies with the upper echelon while doing nothing still have positions. Travel is officially "shut down" this year, except a few directors and above seem to always be traveling. Meanwhile, they do nothing to improve processes.

Morale is in the toilet worse than I've ever seen. It's a real unpleasure to go to work every day. Everyone is looking over their shoulder wondering when the ax will fall next. Or rather, the knife will be shoved into their back.
Pros
None, anymore
overworked, bad manager
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
My manager went through four assistants in less than six months and it was easy to see why. Expected to do the work of two people with almost no training.
A venerable firm that successfully managed the transition to the new rules of publishing.
Bible Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
While the product area in which I worked had been crucial to establishing OUP's toehold in the United States, by the time I came on board its status had fallen. This made it difficult to obtain the resources necessary to achieve the goals for which I was responsible. The people with whom I worked most closely were personable and cooperative: not so our higher ups.
Love working there just need FT position
Educational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 27, 2015
Fantastic people
Wonderful product
Great work/life balance
Attainable goals
Close to home
They care about their employees
Pros
make my own schedule
Cons
no FT positions
Productive workplace with a pool table
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 24, 2015
As a picker all day everyday we use a rf scan gun and a tablet to pick the correct books and package for shipping. Management was very shady, they would smile in your face then fire you behind your back. Co works was very friendly and fun people to be around. The hardest part of the job was pouching your cart once it was filled with the books you picked. The best part was on lunch break we would play pool the whole break.
Pros
Pool table
Cons
Management was shady
Excellent organization, excellent history
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 11, 2015
Excellent company and people.
Loved working at Oxford
The company had a great work life balance with good opportunities for those willing to do their best
Great tradition, very professional
Good company facing tough times in a shrinking industry
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
Everyone at OUP worked very hard and were very nice and helpful. The setting is pretty relaxed, and the work very collaborative. However, academic publishing is not a growth field, and the external pressure to keep generating a profit in increasingly tougher conditions created a squeeze on the company that was felt from top to bottom.
Pros
Relaxed environment, flexible scheduling, interesting work
Cons
Low pay, slow advancement
Decent Place to Work
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Small company with close knit employees. Good CEO and great coworkers. Down side is it is a small company so the man power and technology to win large adoptions is lacking.
fun workplace
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 11, 2015
I pulled the faxes off the fax machine, batched those according to what type of order it was and placed the batches in data entry for order entry. Then I would check all of the standing orders to see if there were any new editions to order for our standing order customers. After that, on to filing the batches from the prevous day.
Management was OK, they did what they had to do.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
can't think of any
Learning and Sharing
Sr. Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Oxford University Press gives you the opportunity to learn any and all dimensions of the job...even through stretching the parameters of your job description to learn new things and build your skills. The hardest part of the job is understanding the company culture. The best part of the job is the learning and sharing!
Tense dont want to go to work atmosphere
Entry level Creative Freelance (Former Employee) –  MelbourneJanuary 22, 2015
Freelance: started induction training first day, but was left with new software to learn and everyone too busy to speak to. Second day office "supervisor" who hired me reports back to agency to tell them I am not working up to standard??? second day?? I explain it is probably best to train me first in workflow. I enjoyed the material and really wanted to do a great job. Third & fourth day go well finally feel like I am getting a handle on the layout of document they require, even though editors stand over the top of me waving their hands loudly and intimidatingly telling the whole office how I should be doing layout. That is the routine in the creative dept obviously. Into the second week I have been hired by one trained by another and intermittent rude direction by another, all telling me to stop what I am doing and start on different task, none of them speaking to each other as they are too busy. I over hear one employee saying that so and so left because they were getting treated like a Freelancer!!! The last straw was another complaint to agency by email forwarded to me detailing my inability to do my job...aargh do not bother with entry level positions there. I noticed the toilets had counselling ads in them....!!! Horrible workplace.
Pros
Great Lunch room facilities
Cons
Treat Freelancers very badly
sort, deliver, manage
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 8, 2014
At Oxford (not the school), I was the mail room clerk. I sold office supplies, sorted the incoming packaging and mail and delivered the interoffice mail for about 500 employees which at 1 point I had all their names down pact.

I answered calls and made trips to co-workers desk who needed things form the mail room. But when I wasn't busy fulfilling orders, I was stuffing envelopes, running the mail meter machine, and dropping off packages to be shipped out in the warehouse. I was glad I got to walk the building often.

Management was good until they fired everyone else in the mail room because I could do the job of 2 people. I got sick and was hospitalized and since I had no one to cover me, they let me go while in the hospital and replaced me with 2 temp agents. I was disappointed because I worked really hard to earn my spot and because they didnt know how long I would be in the hospital, they found it easier to replace me.
Pros
walking the building and learning how balance accts recieveable and accts payable
Cons
being let go because the company had me doing the job of 2 people, weren't prepared when I got sick.
Run as fast as you can from this place..
Shipping Lead (Former Employee) –  Cary NCDecember 1, 2014
Worked there for about 8 months.. Shipping Manager and Supervisors just used me as a buffer for Manager to go on vacation Manager hadnt been on vacation for years... already had people working there that could have filled the position from within.. I left a job to go to that dump... too much turnover they hire temps one week and they are gone the next cause they cant handle the pace.. and you are stuck re-training people week after week... not the supervisors doing the hiring and firing ... but you... do not waste your time or energy on this place...
Pros
Cons
Too many to List
Great Company to work for.
Gratis Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 28, 2014
Daily at Oxford University I process about 100 emails a day and maintaine customers records.

The coworkers at Oxford has became my family away from home.
One of the Better Customer Service Department in the Area
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Cary, North CarolinaSeptember 5, 2014
Management has done a tremendous job at managing out the "bad apples" in the bunch. The call center is now one of the best places to work within the organization. Really happy to be a part of such a great team! Wonderful place to work!
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, Supportive team members
Cons
Average Pay
Great place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 18, 2014
Interesting place to work. I learned a lot here and was able to use what I learned on other jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxford University Press. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9