Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press Employer Reviews

sort, deliver, manage
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Cary, NCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: walking the building and learning how balance accts recieveable and accts payable
Cons: being let go because the company had me doing the job of 2 people, weren't prepared when i got sick.
At Oxford (not the school), I was the mail room clerk. I sold office supplies, sorted the incoming packaging and mail and delivered the interoffice mail for about 500 employees which at 1 point I had all their names down pact.

I answered calls and made trips to co-workers desk who needed things form the mail room. But when I wasn't busy fulfilling orders, I was stuffing envelopes, running the mail meter machine, and dropping off packages to be shipped out in the warehouse. I was glad I got to walk the building often.

Management was good until they fired everyone else in the mail room because I could do the job of 2 people. I got sick and was hospitalized and since I had no one to cover me, they let me go while in the hospital and replaced me with 2 temp agents. I was disappointed because I worked really hard to earn my spot and because they didnt know how long I would be in the hospital, they found it easier to replace me.
Run as fast as you can from this place..
Shipping Lead (Former Employee), Cary NCDecember 1, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Worked there for about 8 months.. Shipping Manager and Supervisors just used me as a buffer for Manager to go on vacation Manager hadnt been on vacation for years... already had people working there that could have filled the position from within.. I left a job to go to that dump... too much turnover they hire temps one week and they are gone the next cause they cant handle the pace.. and you are stuck re-training people week after week... not the supervisors doing the hiring and firing ... but you... do not waste your time or energy on this place...
Great Company to work for.
Gratis Coordinator (Current Employee), Cary, NCOctober 28, 2014
Daily at Oxford University I process about 100 emails a day and maintaine customers records.

The coworkers at Oxford has became my family away from home.
One of the Better Customer Service Department in the Area
Current Employee (Current Employee), Cary, North CarolinaSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, supportive team members
Cons: average pay
Management has done a tremendous job at managing out the "bad apples" in the bunch. The call center is now one of the best places to work within the organization. Really happy to be a part of such a great team! Wonderful place to work!
Don't work there
. (Former Employee), .September 4, 2014
Pros: .
Cons: .
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Great place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Cary, NCJuly 18, 2014
Interesting place to work. I learned a lot here and was able to use what I learned on other jobs.
Work is good, management poor.
Freelance copyeditor (Current Employee), at home officeJune 4, 2014
Work is done remotely, at home. therefore many of these questions do not apply.
Great products, superior brand recognition
Regional Sales Manager, ELT Division (Former Employee), Remote working from Home OfficeFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: great people, great product, great office in manhattan
Cons: company dismantled elt sales force, opting for call center approach
ELT division creates great products. Very nice to meet people who tell you that your product (Oxford) helped them learn English.
pretty cool
marketing (Current Employee), new yorkJanuary 6, 2014
lost my job due to budget cuts but it was a great place to work at.
Decent Place to Work
Previous Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cary, NCJune 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: inefficient management
Normal call center customer service job which in the past was managed better.
OUP is good but boring
Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Cary, NCMarch 12, 2013
Pros: popcorn fridays, pool table in break room
Cons: nepotism
Company suffers from nepotism and lack of room to advance careers, but it pays the bills
it's just a reviewer of science articles before those will be published
Reviewer (Former Employee), UHNovember 30, 2012
it's just a reviewer of science articles before those will be published
It is a great company to work
Staff accountant (Current Employee), Cary, NCOctober 13, 2012
Pros: good benfit
Cons: hhhhhhhhhh
It is a great compnay to work . They have a great benfitand agood working enviroment
Nice place to work
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Cary, NCSeptember 22, 2012
Pros: great book sale for employees.
Cons: layoffs!!
Enjoyed my short 2 years at Oxford. Great people and benefits.
Book Factory
Art Director, Medicine (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: good location, work from home one day per week
Cons: frequent re-organizatons, noisy cubicle offices, lack of digital infrastructure, no food service
Oxford University Press is a high volume book publisher producing over 1200 new books per year in printed and electronic form. They publish dense academic tomes written by some of the brightest minds in the world in the fields of medicine, law, politics, social science, and history to name just a few.

While their mission is noble, the organization is well behind in adopting the most current technology and not known for hiring managers with up-to-date technical skills. It is operated more like a non-profit, which it is, technically speaking, than a profit making publisher competing in the highly competitive academic space.
Laid back atomsphere
Customer Care Assistant (Current Employee), Cary, NCJuly 24, 2012
Pros: pool table in the breakroom
Cons: 30 min lunch
I pulled authors contract for books out and alphabetize them and prepared for them to go on to a computer program so contracts can be easily found. The management was okay they never really have their own input on the project.my coworkers were great we all interact well with each other. There wasn't a hard part to the job i was doing. The most enjoyable part about the project was pulling contracts that was from the 18 century.
Do anything but this.
Assistant Editor (Former Employee), New York, NyJune 11, 2012
Boring, horrible pay, catty atmosphere. Honestly, the worst.

August 19, 2012

This job description has SO many red flags written in it, one would be surprised if anyone responds. Oxford is setting-up a prospective employee for failure. The manner in which the job is described sounds unbelievably chaotic, not to mention the fact that the marketing manager does not appear to want to do any work. Run Forrest, run!

Productive, caring environment with many training opportunities
Production Editor (Former Employee), Oxford (England)January 15, 2015
Pros: good managerial structure, high level of employee care
I was immediately given reign over multiple titles, though I hadn't had a lot of publishing experience, which I appreciated hugely as it allowed me to take responsibility and to throw myself fully into the work.
OUP ran dozens of training programs each week, and I took advantage of this opportunity and learnt as much as I could about Microsoft, Adobe, digital publishing, XML, and much more.
Managing titles of my own allowed me space to think creatively and to solve problems, as well as form and maintain relationships with authors and other departments, but there was always a managerial structure and it was good to know that I could ask for advice when I needed to.
The size of the company (over two-thousand employees in the Oxford site alone) allowed for clear career progression, and meant that I could easily learn about other departments. I met with people from Commissioning, Marketing, Design and Digital in order to get to know more about what they did.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the level of communication with authors and other departments, and the ability to take responsibility for my projects and coordinate all others involved accordingly.
The hardest part was probably the volume of titles, though I am an incredibly efficient and organized worker, and quickly learnt to enjoy juggling so many projects at once. I love to keep busy and to take on a variety of tasks, so it suited me well.
Fun Team
Marketing Executive Intern (Former Employee), Madrid, MDJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: monotonous work
My role was to upload digital copies of the Oxford University Press products to the online service. I had to become familiar with the products and what kind of information came with each series from the pre-school books to the more advanced levels. I had to communicate on a regular basis with the UK office to obtain digital copies of the products and then I would have to edit the copies by splitting the books into chapters and removing the crop marks before uploading the documents to the website.

When I began this role there had already been some work done to the online service however due to a reorganisation of the company there was a new leader to the project who decided to change the organisation of the website in order to make the site more user friendly.
Good organisation to work with
Secretary (Sales & Administration) (Current Employee), Mumbai, MHOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free lunch in the canteen arranged by the office
Cons: working on saturdays sometimes
The timings of the job are very good. 9am to 5pm and i get to spend time with my family too. Its a good brand name and good company to work with. Hardest part of the job is the work culture is not very motivating. The management does not appreciate the hard work and effort you put in the work and not token of appreciation given ever. The most enjoyable part of the job is I love the kind of work i do here, interacting and meeting new people.

1 2 3

About Oxford University Press

Pick a word, any word. Chances are good you'll find it in some book published by the Oxford University Press, Inc. The publisher, – Read more