APPLY ONLINE: WWW.PAVEACADEMY.ORG/WHO-WE-ARE/JOIN-OUR-TEAM
*Only candidates that apply via our website will be considered for this position
Founding Middle School Teacher (ELA and Social Studies)
School Description: PAVE Academy Charter School (PAVE) prepares Kindergarten to 8th grade students in Brooklyn to thrive in competitive high schools and 4-year colleges. PAVE provides its students with a rigorous academic program and a school community built on the follow core values: Perseverance, Achievement, Vibrance, and Excellent Character. The school opened in August 2008 with approximately 88 Kindergarten and 1st Grade students and will add an additional grade until it reaches capacity in 8th grade. In 2012-2013, PAVE serves nearly 300 students in grades K-5.
Position Summary: PAVE seeks a founding Middle School ELA and Social Studies teacher to help launch the Middle School. We are looking for an educator who is committed to education reform, believes that all scholars can and will achieve at high levels with joyful, rigorous instruction, and who can commit to a consistent school-wide culture that cultivates growth within our scholars. PAVE’s founding Middle School teachers will be involved in developing and implementing the curriculum and assessment programs for the first cohort of scholars in the Middle School, and will need to be flexible, adaptive, and responsive to feedback to create a growing team environment. Middle School teachers will report to the Middle School Principal.
- Dedicated. Ability to thrive in the sometimes intense environment of a high-performing charter school, remain consistent, organized and reliable under pressure. Strong skills in following-through, finishing what is started, and striving for excellence. A relentless work ethic and a high degree of patience to work through difficult challenges.
- Flexible. Someone who has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment while making adjustments and prioritizing needs of students.
- Reflective. Desire to learn and grow professionally with the ability to accept and implement feedback received for real-time improvement. A positive, high-energy attitude and a drive for personal excellence. Uses data to drive decisions and ensure high levels of accountability.
- Gritty. Willingness to be hands-on and do whatever it takes to support the success of PAVE. Open to learning, willing to grow, and passionately seeking opportunities to be involved in the charter education movement of academic excellence and high rigor.
- Consistent. Tremendous organizational skills, attention to detail and a knack for consistency. Ability to think critically about the details of a task at hand and backwards plan in order to meet project timelines set by leadership.
- Embody, advocate and operationalize the mission, vision, and strategic direction of PAVE
- Create and sustain a positive and highly structured school culture of high academic and behavioral expectations by following PAVE’s consistent behavior systems
- Build and implement a rigorous and research-based curriculum to exceed standards aligned to the Common Core Standards
- Assume responsibility for the academic progress of students
- Implement interventions and accommodations (academic, social, or behavioral) for individual students based on needs, including scholars with IEPs in an inclusion setting
- Communicate effectively and regularly with students and parents about student progress
- Commit to continued professional growth and active participation in PAVE professional development
- Develop and revise clear criteria for quality work and examine student work to ensure that it meets increasingly higher standards of quality including creating data driven plans and using assessments to guide long-term instructional plans.
Qualifications and Experience
- A strong commitment to PAVE’s mission and vision
- Highly-qualified teacher, with expertise and passion for ELA instruction
- Demonstrates classroom leadership (observation or practice teaching during interview)
- Able to work effectively with students, parents, administrators, colleagues, community, and other school system staff
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills
- Technological proficiency and adaptability
- Preferably two years of experience with a proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom
- Bachelor’s Degrees (required), Master’s Degree (preferred)
- Experience teaching in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred
- New York State Teaching Certification or equivalent
- Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Substantial merit bonuses will be awarded each year based on student academic performance and other metrics established by the Principal. In addition to financial compensation, all PAVE teachers are equipped with a laptop computer, email, necessary instructional supplies, and extensive professional development.
Apply by completing our online application: www.paveacademy.org/who-we-are/join-our-team