PACCAR Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

I enjoyed the work environment and the staff while working at Paccar.
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed the daily routines I performed at Paccar because I was constantly busy at task which made the time fly by quite quickly. I learned a lot about using RF menu computer systems while pulling orders and how to properly package and ship merchandise out after picking it. My managers were always very personable, understanding and helpfu. My co-workers were awesome and made work "that much easier" being the cool people and characters they were. The hardest part of the job was staying under Paccar's standard error rate which was 3.5 errors allowed per 10,000 lines.
Pros
Often got free lunch, 401k benefits were offered, and payed holiday and vacation time was a bonus.
Company manages its profit excellently and has paid a dividend every quarter since 1941
Senior Fleet Sales Manager, Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJDecember 19, 2015
Highlight of my career allowing me job advancement replete with stock options and excellent compensation and benefits. Very demanding culture but very rewarding experience representing the finest products in the heavy truck industry
Pros
Great products yoou could feel good about representing
Cons
No union means no representation
Grade 3 associate (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 19, 2016
I loved Kenworth/Paccar. I drove 140 miles daily to work there. I enjoyed spotting the Kenworth's on my long route, even the Peterbuilt trucks because I loved and enjoyed Paccar.

From the moment you task train at Kenworth, you are subliminaly trained to dislike the other employees. You are put into groups and while you might be cordigal and pleasant with them, you are secretly not wanting them to do as well because you are the person wanting to get hired.

Was falsely accused twice and I was unjustly fired for "Being destructive unstead of productive".

I was never late, missed 2 days in 10 months with doctors notes.
No prior safety issues, no write ups, passed all my audits.

Work was fairly easy, although you wanted to get to work early, to get your day started. If you were working with the senior employees, they felt the need to play on their cell phones and look up guns to raffle. So I'd usually get started around 4:10 and production wouldn't start until 4:30. It made the day easier for yourself and everyone.

The production line moved pretty quickly at times. Depending on the job you were on, it could be easy to get behind at 92 inches per minute. One mistake could set you back, but it was fun and I would say that I was pretty good at it.

What I learned: Never trust or ever talk to people at work, just do your job and shut up. No union means Paccar can do whatever it wants.

Management: Treated me as guilty until proven innocent. No representation or help for the employee. Paccar is Judge, jury and executioner.

Co-Workers: some are great,
  more... most are lazy and entitled

The hardest part of the job: Co-workers

The most enjoyable part of the job: The satisfaction of making a beautiful product, the pay, the benefits, the benefits, the benefits!

Bottom line: NO REPRESNTATION/UNION = FIRED (UNJUSTLY) IN A HALF A DAY
Pros
Pay, Benifits, Work
Cons
No representation, Other employees
Great work facility, very low opportunities for advancement
Quality Specialist, Materials Lead, Assembly (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSFebruary 8, 2016
Minimal opportunities for advancement, and training. A company that does not value there floor level/production workers. Expensive insurance and employer offered programs.
Cons
Short breaks for production employees, production incentives for management ONLY
Great pay, poor management
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKJune 10, 2015
In my nearly 5 years with Paccar I found a typical workday to be physically and sometimes mentally challenging as deadlines needed to be met, and products needed to ship. The overall morale of the employees in my area was generally low, due to poor management conditions. Compensation, however was good. So most employees kept their heads down, did their jobs, and waited on the supervisor to leave before complaining.
Pros
good pay and benefits. 401k match
Cons
poor management
Laid back environment
Cafeteria Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 4, 2016
The workplace is a friendly, laid back environment where you could have fun and work at the same time. The management is always cooperating with you if you need help with anything on the job as well as making arrangements if there is a day when needed to be off or emergency matter.
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff/customers
Cons
less hours than scheduled
This is a great company
Shop Foreman and Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2016
this is a company to stick with.
know who the VP's are and keep a list of them
everything is moved on paper work and a budget when it comes to the truck leasing side, the the budget is so tight and the purching program is so limited you can't keep the maintenance done on the equipment, sod this was a good company
Pros
Cons
a fight every day just to keep your job
stuffed shirt culture
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 7, 2016
Uber conservative...and very micro-managed. Extremely strict on dress and cell phones. My dept was just audited and it is very unorganized. Didn't realize what I was walking into.....
Pros
free parking
Cons
commute to Bellevue sucks, they don't like us drinking starbucks and the men can't wear any facial hair..

Comment – April 6, 2016

When I was hired, I didn't realize what I was walking into. I should of listened to my intuition. There is no professional training. I knew nothing about title work or finance contracts prior to working there. My training was all over the place with no manuals to reference. I have done reception/phone work for 20 years and the phone system they had me working on was at least 15 years old and outdated. In addition, their main software system for customer records was DOS based! Really? I haven't used a DOS system since the 90's. In addition to that, the manager, although a nice lady, was extremely controlling and micro managed her team. It was difficult to work under that kind of pressure with learning 5 different computer programs with 5 different log ons in a seriously conservative environment. I was set up to fail and it worked. I would never recommend this company to anyone ever...

Great company if you can ride out the lay offs
Assembly Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 23, 2016
I took this position to get my foot in the door. I don't regret it at all. This is a hard job, but you are paid well for it. Plus the night differential pay makes it worth it. Like anywhere else there are very unworthy managers. If you go and do your job you have nothing to worry about. I wasn't in this position long. I applied for many other positions as soon I started. I find the healthcare very affordable.
Pros
Pay, Time off
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent people
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMay 26, 2016
Wonderful experience. Too bad oil industry tanked and took a lot of our business with it. Good hours, good pay, great team work, nice people, autonomy to get your job done, opportunities to work across departments.
Pros
Highly cooperative and likable people
Cons
Too tied to oil & gas
Style over Substance
Product Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Algona, WAJune 30, 2014
Management rewards people who can look good and make mundane daily activities look good.
This is not a problem solving culture and attempting to solve problems is met with resistance. Speaking against management, or having an original thought is considered insubordination.
Management rules by fear and smart people are mushed into corner for non-technical people that speak well but have no practical experience.
The culture lives in the past about how they have always made money cutting employes benefits in the down turns to pay dividends and make profits, but isn't innovating and looking to be competitive in the future.
Pros
easy to work an 8hr day.
Cons
management rules by fear, original thinking penalized, living in past, and not a problem solving culture, rather a quick fix and move on culture.
Strict rigid work culture
Accounting Manager-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Belleview, WANovember 10, 2015
Authoritarian management style in all departments, employee must go with the "Yes sir/mam" flow or will be labeled as problem employees which consequently be pushed out.
Pros
Job Security for the most part
Cons
Belleview, WA
Productive work place
Summer intern (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAMay 23, 2016
• Good and focused working days
• Gained valuable experience
• On-task management
• Hard-working co-workers
• Working in the heat
• Working with the staff
Terrible place to work
Sr. AS/400 Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 23, 2015
Awful work life balance. Expectation is for employees to live to work rather than work to live. Very cut throat IT environment
Pros
decent pay
Cons
work life blance, management
stay away from running business validation
Validation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAMarch 8, 2016
managers are lacking in training of new personnel that are unfamiliar with the trucking industry. has its fun days and slow days. hills and valleys with work.
Pros
friendly
Cons
bad mangement personel
I love the opportunity for advancement
customer service (Current Employee) –  renton, WASeptember 12, 2012
Paccar is seriously dedicated to furthering the development of their employees like no other company I have worked for. I feel very fairly paid.I am one of the rare employers who has not yet completed my college education and that has limited my advancement potential.I feel that stinks but hey,I could finish up and be promotable.so until them I do what I do.
I work in the road side assistance call center which has allowed me the opportunity to take my babies to story time at the library, preschool, all the things a stay at home mom would get, but balanced with a full time salary,a current work history and a challenging and stimulating job.
The only thing I would change world be to pick up the building and move it to Tacoma so my commute would be shortened.
I do love my job.
Pros
company based here, tons of opportunity for growth and advancement of you have a degree.
Cons
if you don't have a degree you will not go any where.
Not a bad place...not a good place
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 4, 2015
This company is good for a person that just wants a job and to check in and out. If you want to advance to management you MUST become part of the good ol boy system. People are not promoted on ability but rather friendship and relationship.
Pros
good pay
Cons
management, job gets old very fast
The REI team is a good place to work at Peterbilt.
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 18, 2015
Peterbilt is a good company to work for.
The pay is not very competitive, but the work is interesting.
Another negative is the odd behavior of the bosses.
Sometimes one of the bosses will ask how was your weekend, but he will not allow you to reply with more than a 1 sentence reply.
So I wonder, why even ask the question at all?

The coworkers are mostly friendly.
I learned about how class 8 trucks are mass produced.

A typical day includes selecting the REI (request for engineering information) assignments, then looking through documents and previous truck build history to determine the best combination of parts to use to build that particular truck in question.
Good Company to work for.
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSFebruary 12, 2015
Long history of excellent quality products with a strong and profitable financial history. They provide good working environment along with necessary tools to perform your job.
Pros
strong financial history, cost controls in place, benefits, especially 401k
Cons
average communications from executive level to plant level.
One heck of an opportunity!!!
Distribution Associate (Current Employee) –  Renton, WaMay 18, 2013
There are not many other places I would consider working after being here at Paccar. A old school company that has solid values and business practices. The compensation is outstanding and there is great work-life balance. This is a place you take pride in working hard for; they work hard for you in return.
Pros
top of the industry pay, normal hours and shitfs, appreciation shown by management, hard work pays off here.
Cons
warehouse technology seems a little dated