PACCAR Inc.

PACCAR Inc. Employee Reviews

I enjoyed the work environment and the staff while working at Paccar.
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed the daily routines I performed at Paccar because I was constantly busy at task which made the time fly by quite quickly. I learned a lot about using RF menu computer systems while pulling orders and how to properly package and ship merchandise out after picking it. My managers were always very personable, understanding and helpfu. My co-workers were awesome and made work "that much easier" being the cool people and characters they were. The hardest part of the job was staying under Paccar's standard error rate which was 3.5 errors allowed per 10,000 lines.
Pros
Often got free lunch, 401k benefits were offered, and payed holiday and vacation time was a bonus.
Great company if you can ride out the lay offs
Assembly Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 23, 2016
I took this position to get my foot in the door. I don't regret it at all. This is a hard job, but you are paid well for it. Plus the night differential pay makes it worth it. Like anywhere else there are very unworthy managers. If you go and do your job you have nothing to worry about. I wasn't in this position long. I applied for many other positions as soon I started. I find the healthcare very affordable.
Pros
Pay, Time off
Cons
Short breaks
No union means no representation
Grade 3 associate (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 19, 2016
I loved Kenworth/Paccar. I drove 140 miles daily to work there. I enjoyed spotting the Kenworth's on my long route, even the Peterbuilt trucks because I loved and enjoyed Paccar.

From the moment you task train at Kenworth, you are subliminaly trained to dislike the other employees. You are put into groups and while you might be cordigal and pleasant with them, you are secretly not wanting them to do as well because you are the person wanting to get hired.

Was falsely accused twice and I was unjustly fired for "Being destructive unstead of productive".

I was never late, missed 2 days in 10 months with doctors notes.
No prior safety issues, no write ups, passed all my audits.

Work was fairly easy, although you wanted to get to work early, to get your day started. If you were working with the senior employees, they felt the need to play on their cell phones and look up guns to raffle. So I'd usually get started around 4:10 and production wouldn't start until 4:30. It made the day easier for yourself and everyone.

The production line moved pretty quickly at times. Depending on the job you were on, it could be easy to get behind at 92 inches per minute. One mistake could set you back, but it was fun and I would say that I was pretty good at it.

What I learned: Never trust or ever talk to people at work, just do your job and shut up. No union means Paccar can do whatever it wants.

Management: Treated me as guilty until proven innocent. No representation or help for the employee. Paccar is Judge, jury and executioner.

Co-Workers: some are great,
  more... most are lazy and entitled

The hardest part of the job: Co-workers

The most enjoyable part of the job: The satisfaction of making a beautiful product, the pay, the benefits, the benefits, the benefits!

Bottom line: NO REPRESNTATION/UNION = FIRED (UNJUSTLY) IN A HALF A DAY
Pros
Pay, Benifits, Work
Cons
No representation, Other employees
Company manages its profit excellently and has paid a dividend every quarter since 1941
Senior Fleet Sales Manager, Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJDecember 19, 2015
Highlight of my career allowing me job advancement replete with stock options and excellent compensation and benefits. Very demanding culture but very rewarding experience representing the finest products in the heavy truck industry
Pros
Great products yoou could feel good about representing
Cons
Not a bad place...not a good place
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 4, 2015
This company is good for a person that just wants a job and to check in and out. If you want to advance to management you MUST become part of the good ol boy system. People are not promoted on ability but rather friendship and relationship.
Pros
good pay
Cons
management, job gets old very fast
Strict rigid work culture
Accounting Manager-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Belleview, WANovember 10, 2015
Authoritarian management style in all departments, employee must go with the "Yes sir/mam" flow or will be labeled as problem employees which consequently be pushed out.
Pros
Job Security for the most part
Cons
Belleview, WA
Terrible place to work
Sr. AS/400 Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 23, 2015
Awful work life balance. Expectation is for employees to live to work rather than work to live. Very cut throat IT environment
Pros
decent pay
Cons
work life blance, management
The REI team is a good place to work at Peterbilt.
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 18, 2015
Peterbilt is a good company to work for.
The pay is not very competitive, but the work is interesting.
Another negative is the odd behavior of the bosses.
Sometimes one of the bosses will ask how was your weekend, but he will not allow you to reply with more than a 1 sentence reply.
So I wonder, why even ask the question at all?

The coworkers are mostly friendly.
I learned about how class 8 trucks are mass produced.

A typical day includes selecting the REI (request for engineering information) assignments, then looking through documents and previous truck build history to determine the best combination of parts to use to build that particular truck in question.
Good HR Advancement
Technical Recruiting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJuly 17, 2015
-Enjoyable and challenging role in Technical Recruiting.
-Learned specific needs for specialized engineering
-Enjoyed learning about highly technical engineering.
Good people to work with.
Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKJuly 11, 2015
I was not there long enough to accomplish much, slow business conditions, which caused a layoff. I enjoyed the work I was able to do.
Great pay, poor management
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKJune 10, 2015
In my nearly 5 years with Paccar I found a typical workday to be physically and sometimes mentally challenging as deadlines needed to be met, and products needed to ship. The overall morale of the employees in my area was generally low, due to poor management conditions. Compensation, however was good. So most employees kept their heads down, did their jobs, and waited on the supervisor to leave before complaining.
Pros
good pay and benefits. 401k match
Cons
poor management
good
Purchasing Analyst/Supply Chain Intern (Current Employee) –  SeattleJune 3, 2015
Typical day of work was good.
I learnt purchasing and negotiation skills.
Management is good.
Co-Workers are good.
Hardest part was to find free time.
Enjoyable part is there is a lot of work.
A typical day at Paccar
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHMay 30, 2015
I would logon to the computer and chick my emails. Then I work on any and everything I was told to do. What I did most was edit videos and I did work on some photos.
Nice work place with good employees to work with.
Deburr / Machinist (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKMay 18, 2015
A typical day at work for me was coming in and began doing setups on 2 Hitachi CNC Lathes. I was in training and wouldn't had been done with training until September. I was learning so much more than I thought I could ever learn in school. The management was great and my coworkers were excellent people to work with.
Co-Workers are great
Cost Accounting (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMay 6, 2015
The co-workers are great to work with. Supervisors allow you to learn each area as it interests you and promotes within.
Nice place to work
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 12, 2015
nice place to work. seems to be room for moving up in the company. very focused on safety. opened 24hrs a day with 3 shifts. benefits seemed to be fair.
Pros
state of the art plant
Good Company to work for.
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSFebruary 12, 2015
Long history of excellent quality products with a strong and profitable financial history. They provide good working environment along with necessary tools to perform your job.
Pros
strong financial history, cost controls in place, benefits, especially 401k
Cons
average communications from executive level to plant level.
Good place to work at
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 23, 2014
Good place to work at conservative workplace though. Not for everyone
Great Company
Financial Reporting Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 15, 2014
Great company to work for. Great people and culture. Interesting work.
Not for everyone
Leadership Development Program (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 10, 2014
You will need the right mindset to work here. Management is very old school and hasn't yet figured out how to compete for talent, especially in the Pacific NW.

The company is very conservative and if you learn to work within their framework you will be very successful.