Pace Communications Employee Reviews

Great people, but antiquated and doomed org structure
Assistant Editor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 20, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Pace and worked with some of my favorite coworkers I've ever had. My direct managers provided me with feedback, mentorship and skills I'll value forever. Pace is a fun office with lots of events and opportunities (city kickball team, playing with shelter puppies, free gelato, food trucks in the parking lot for lunch). I don't ever regret my time there; it equipped me with the tools I needed for the next steps in my career.

Sadly, all of that is overshadowed by Pace's desire to seem like a hip, digital agency when they're still very much stuck in an inflexible and old-fashioned corporate publishing model they grew from. Pace is decades old and used to produce almost exclusively in-flight magazines. Just 7ish or so years ago, they haphazardly dove into digital, and the transition's been bumpy. They need to ditch their clunky roots in order to truly be the sleek agency they pretend they are.

It's a common joke among creatives in the Triad that everyone either was or knows someone who used to work for Pace. Emphasis on the "used to." Pace's contract model and rapidly rearranged client priority list translates into massive layoffs after losing clients each year. This is common in the industry, but usually contracts are longer. Pace hates this, for the record, and does a good job at attempting to reseat people. But it doesn't end up working because the model is bad. Their business model means this is not a place for great job security. Over half the people I used to work with are no longer there. I know a friend who was hired and then laid off within a month
  more... on a particularly volatile account. He had just had a baby. Cmon, people.

A final note on pay: I was hired as a temp on an hourly basis. A few others recent grads/entry level employees during my time there were temp as well, I can only deduce for purposes Pacers like to call "CYA." It was frustrating to know I had an actually lesser dollar value than others on my team carrying the same workload and tasks. I pushed for several months for my pay to be raised from my initial (and laughable) $10/hr. I'd encourage any entry-level candidates with great credentials to push hard for better and more permanent pay.

If you go in knowing that context, and have a few backup plans in your pocket, you will enjoy your time at Pace and learn a lot, especially if you are beginning your creative career and don't have much to lose. If you're mid- to senior-level, and are the main breadwinner in your household, I'd be wary.
Pros
Great people and vibe, opportunities for growth if you look for them, work on high-profile clients, good place for creative career jumpstart
Cons
Low job security/high turnover, antiquated "agency" structure, needs fresh leadership at the top
REALLY great place to work but not secure
Junior Art Director - Verizon Team (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 30, 2015
I loved working at PACE so so so so much. Everyone was nice from the time I was an intern till I was an artist on contract. They have lots of fun events to keep people happy. The environment is healthy and there are lots of benefits. I would have liked to stay here forever. They let a lot of people come and go. Not a lot of positions or money to keep people here, sadly. Otherwise they do GREAT work and are a great honorable company. I will miss everyone.
Pros
Free food very often, lots of free events, benefits, hour lunch break, healthcare
Cons
No job security, you never know when they will let you go
Great colleagues, so-so top management.
Editor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 16, 2013
The day-to-day work environment here is the best -- the place is full of talented, collegial people who take their work seriously but not themselves. Top management, however, is a bit clueless and detached, leaving the troops sometimes wondering what they're thinking, focusing on the wrong criteria for evaluating staff performance, and failing to consult with the people who actually know what's going on.

The company is led by a smart woman who's very people-savvy when it comes to making business connections but not so much when it comes to her own staff. Also, counterintuitively, she's not that much of a friend to her female employees and not very supportive when it comes to work/family issues.
Pros
great colleagues, pleasant work space
Cons
archaic management practices, so-so benefits & compensation
Great Company to Bad Our Division Is closing
Embroidery - Process Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 5, 2016
My direct manager are great to work with it has a family atmosphere,
interesting work, lots of training but it is seasonal clients driven.
Unfortunately. it's closing and I wish it wasn't.
Pace Communications is a constantly evolving workplace, jam-packed with smart and creative content experts.
DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work includes working with editors, the publisher and clients to design and get approval for departments and features. We operate with tight-knit teams on projects, in a pretty relaxed but focused atmosphere, getting content moving through and keeping clients very happy. The best part of the job is working with very talented photographers and illustrators world-wide. The most challenging part of the job is wrangling the content into a monthly schedule, with deadlines that don't budge.
Pros
Creative atmosphere! Wellness programs and a fun committee to help with the work/life balance.
Cons
Deadlines and tight budgets, which are part of the territory, of course.
A company in transition from its Glory Days
Publisher (Former Employee) –  Greenbsoro, NCAugust 16, 2012
A privately-owned company, in business since the early 1980's headed by a very accomplished, charismatic woman who is well-regarded nationally for her volunteer work and political connections. Generally a very good work environment, filled with young, progressive career-starters, sprinkled with older professionals who have been there "since the old days." The core business of the company from its inception until recently was contract publishing, producing custom magazines and other content on a fee-basis, or more commonly, supported by advertising revenue. With the loss of several key, long-term contracts, and the movement of advertising dollars out of print, the company has been forced to transition for the most part into the digital realm. They have embarked on making the company into a digital-centric content marketer, and have added other online marketing services enabled by new hires. The challenge is that the profit margins are nothing like the old days, and it seems every ad agency, PR company, and marketing communications firm across the country is trying to do the same thing--bill themselves as a digital-age content marketer proficient in PR, social media, email, CRM, etc. However, some very talented people at the top have guided key new business into the company, and it continues to attract good talent. Generally a good work environment, with offices in a historic old jeans factory. Good Salary, OK to sub-par benefits that have decreased in value over the years as company revenue has shrunk. Great middle management, although most key decisions as still made at the  more... highest level, which for some time has been only partially-engaged in the "day-to-day." Limited advancement possibilities.  less
Pros
great work environment, fun co-workers, challenging, progressive
Cons
limited advancement, so-so benefits
Great Company!
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 5, 2013
Great Company to work for. Many company benefits like fitness classes and training.
Cons
job security
Nice people to work with
Customer Service, Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 13, 2013
Nice place to work at, but at times really busy. 5 years with the company I have learned alot, management is great to work with and easy to get along with, the co-workers are friendly and good to work with. I don't believe that there is anything hard about the job. I love the work I do, its easy but time consuming.
Pros
easy work
Cons
short breaks, sick time
A great place to work!
Freelance Production Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
The days go by quickly and the work is diverse. Obviously daily print ads must be designed and produced, but there's a fair share of display materials as well as collateral and web banner design. The staff is great - with a good mixture of personalities and talents that combine to make a productive yet relaxed environment. I learned invaluable software/design tips and shortcuts that was willingly shared by all. Sometimes the workload and deadlines can be a bit overwhelming, but the staff make all the hard work worthwhile.
Pros
After work happy hours and complimentary continental breakfast Fridays.
I loved this place!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 1, 2014
Busy environment but the company has a love for their employees.
Pros
Pay rate, management, appreciation of employees, yard sales
Creative, fun workplace
Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 16, 2015
We've got an open office floor plan -- takes a little getting used to, but it's great for collaborating and bouncing ideas off of one another. Work with approximately 70 on my team/account. Company overall employs around 300 people at that location (they've got several locations throughout the country).

Typical day: Brief morning meeting (about 20 minutes) where the creative team (writing/content, art and copyedit) meet for a quick rundown of what everyone's working on, if they need help or if they can offer help to the rest of the team. Other than that, spend a lot of time at the computer writing, editing, creating/entering/optimizing site content.

What I've learned: Gotten pretty good at juggling several different tasks at once. Specifically, I've learned a lot about SEO marketing/writing and adapting writing to different client requests.

Management: Pretty laid back. Check in with managers when need be, but otherwise usually left to take care of our tasks independently. Really, managers are there for content direction.

Co-workers: Range in age from mid-20's to 50's. Everyone is very creative, witty, smart -- they know how to write quality marketing content. Very accustomed to working in small teams for certain tasks that either ongoing long-term or have a set deadline.

Hardest part of the job: Time management. Especially working with clients, have to be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, normally with pretty quick turnarounds on deadlines. Also, writing. Writing content is very challenging. A lot of writing can be rather technical, but we
  more... have to be able to make relatable and interesting to readers.

Most enjoyable part: Writing. Although it's challenging, it's also fun and rewarding when you produce a really snazzy article.
Pros
Lots of fun breaks (chili cook off, bowling trip, pumpkin painting competition); very fun work environment, standing desks, lots of free food!
Cons
Can get tedious at times, I don't have a standing desk (I don't like sitting all day), hard to look at a computer all day
Fast moving and family oriented Business environment
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 7, 2012
Very entrepreneurial environment and a lot of flexibility. Great products and very talented people.
Wedding Company
Receptionist/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 23, 2013
This also was a 3 month assignment. I worked in the call center, answering calls and placing orders for customers regarding their wedding.