Pacific Dental Services

Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews in United States

Solid company with Christian CEO
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 4, 2016
Great chance to interact with patients all day. Learned a lot about teeth and insurance companies. There are some great dentists out there and unfortunately some bad apples (like everywhere else). PDS helps to flush out the bad. :)
Pros
Growth Opportunities
Cons
Gray Morality issues with Insurance
Busy workday, learned Cerec, really enjoyed the patient care and treatment I got to be apart of.
Lead Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 26, 2016
Worked at a PDS supported office for almost 3 months in a new region. It was the first office open in the state. I enjoyed the patients very much, as I always done my best to make sure my Dr's and patients were taken care of. However after constantly being accused/blamed for things that I didn't do, or things out of my control and being cursed at by the leading DDS, I knew I could find a better working environment where I was truly appreciated for my hard work. There was no work/life balance, as I was at work 3-5 hours past closing everyday, and even there until after midnight on a particular night. They pride themselves on being private practice + , but with the production goals they put on DDS and RDH it seems more money driven than quality patient care driven. We could never get help from management, BC, or receptionist as most of them hired have no previous dental experience!
Pros
Compensation, trips, free lunch (when you got a lunch break)
Cons
Minimal/no breaks, management, not enough training, work/life balance, communication, no "set" hours
Bad place to work
Traveling Dental assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2016
Typical day at work was see how much you can charge the customer and see if they believe in the treatment that was provided. Most of the work that was scheduled to be done didn't need to be done.
Work was hit and miss. Had to travel all over the place .
Pros
Working with doctors that know how to perform there jobs.
Cons
Watching sloppy work being done, or work that was being done that not need to be done. Didn't get paid for lunches.
Horrible place to work
Specialty Coordinator (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTJanuary 31, 2016
This company is based out of California. There management is horrible. They have no idea how Utah works and they want to run the corporate company like Colorado and California
Pros
It offered a job at the time
Cons
crooks
Lost the original vision of the founder
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaOctober 21, 2015
Having worked for PDS for over 6 years I have seen quite a bit of changes in that short time. The biggest change was regionally. What used to be an environment where you felt the company really did appreciate you, used to make you want to show them your gratitude by giving it everything you've got. That started changing when not only were medical benefits cut to bone but the region gained a regional partner. Since then, at least in the Northern California region the changes have been for the most part negative in my opinion. Work/life balance went out the window, changes came fast and furious with the only thing for certain being that given enough time it would come full circle and end up right back where you started. Growth has taken priority over patient care, employees are pushed to the point that turnover is expected and value of anything but the production number is irrelevant. Work em till they break, there are more where they came from is how it feels to most employees...The foundation I believe statements have been lost..they are now only words that at one time reflected a company that truly wanted to change the dental profession for the better.
it was a fun i had a few friends wich made it fun. i enjoyed the work I did never had to complain
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix AzOctober 16, 2015
My typical day, I would verify patients eligibility before they would see the dentist, I would enter their information into QSI, I really enjoyed the job, i had a few friend their but it was more like high-school with your clicks were the supervisors and manager would go to lunch with employees or shopping ects and no matter how bad you did your job was secured;
the hardest part of the job there really wasn't a hard part it was pretty easy, the most enjoyable part was getting started bright and early i would get there and start work when there was only 1 supervisor there and maybe 1 other employee i liked that i like starting early,
Pros
would could do a lot of work via the internet so we could listen to our headsets.
Cons
being put on hold for several minutes while waiting to speak to a rep, or a rep not know what they are doing and having to correct them sometimes.
Was very hopeful at first but but then extremely disappointed and devastated.
Dentist (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 8, 2015
Was initially impressed with the emphasis on the customer service of patients. For a new dentist it is an easy way to get exposed to Cerec dentistry.

Office initially showed great teamwork. Then the office and regional manager changed, and then it declined. The office was not busy enough to employ two full time experienced dentists and then the office was without a hygienist for over three months. For a "dental support organization" that's pretty lame.

I was told what treatment I could not do by a "lead assistant" over materials that cost less than $50. A 'lead assistant' will boss you around like you have the status of a the person who cleans the toilets. Not a good idea if they had bonuses tied to our production.

Chances were 1 out of 4 that the new patient was at the office from a capitation plan. You could have a whole day of capitation patients. Who wants to do a time consuming perio maintenance on an elderly patient for 25 percent of $6? Who wants to do a crown for 25% of $100 or do a filling on a front tooth for nothing? How about a surgical extraction for 25% of $20? I would have 3 columns of that . The base salary and benefits still do not add up to doing capitation restorative dentistry for less money per hour than a hygienist makes in private practice. If there is some periodontal disease to treat which can be a profitable procedure, the hygienist had to do it and the hmo cleanings were moved to the doctor's schedule.

I have seen with my own eyes over treatment and over diagnosis. Initially I would have had no problem if a family
  more... member would ever have to be seen by a PDS dentist but now I would go anywhere else before any of their "owner doctors" associated with PDS would treat any friends or family.

Like a previous reviewer if patients did not have any high dollar treatment to do it was your fault. If patients do not show it is your fault. If you are behind in the schedule because you waited for the front desk to take 45 minutes to check in a patient that is on time it is your fault.
Pros
Inexpensive benefits.
Cons
Much more capitation dentistry than what they will tell you.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  new regionOctober 7, 2015
I went in thinking Im working for a great co. They sell you trips to california for training but the ceo doesn't even listen and everyone across the country has same opinion about the training- there is none...No follow up, no engagement. They show you once and expect you to get it over night. Lots of time training is rushed, non communicated, and done by employees who don't know what the're doing. They can be a great company if they get the training together. You ask for help and you don't get it and the company has high turnover!!! Wonder why...Isn't it funny that everyone says there a tttrrraaiiinnniiinnnggg issue???
Pros
free dentistry for employess
Cons
training!!!/management
Slow, poor managment
Associate Dentist (Former Employee) –  USSeptember 26, 2015
A typical work day is go to huddle 15 mins before the first patient. At these huddles we read verbatim what someone decided we should read in the morning. Often times they will have nothing inspiring and we just read them to read them and get it over with. We read one of the we believe statements, go over goals, and talk about the schedule. Management is poor and if anything goes wrong it is your fault. If the schedule is to slow or too heavy it is your fault. If people don't pay it is your fault. You can tell them how to make things better, but they won't listen to you and blame you. You will have doctor meeting where they expect you to take off work. At these meeting they put people on pedestals for doing x amount of inlays/onlays or over diagnosing SRP. They make everyone else feel like they did something wrong if they are not doing the same thing. They tell you that you will get paid 25% of production, but what they don't tell you, is that it is adjusted production. The adjusted production is not much different from collections so in reality you are getting paid 26% collections. There are much, much better deals out there.

Having said this, you will get lots of great training in Cerec, implants, laser, etc, but lose your soul in the process.
Pros
training
Cons
unethical
No work life balance and not diverse
Management (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 22, 2015
There is no work life balance and has extreme unfair practices. Pushes for more more more!! Shows little appreciation.
great company, bad management
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  phoenix, azSeptember 17, 2015
great company, I loved my job until they changed management they kept all the bad ones, lazy, teachers pet and let all the good people go.
Pros
m-f, good benefits, free dental
Cons
favoritism, management
I love helping people and I thought that was what I was going to be doing!
Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MissouriAugust 13, 2015
This place is the most unprofessional place Ive ever worked, except when the big wigs as they call it are coming in. From the beginning they lie about the position that they are hiring you for, they change your Job description anytime the manager wants to and the turnover rate is ridiculous. The front desk is short staffed and they refuse to get more help until they are making a certain amount of money, in the meantime the benefits coordinator who was also the front desk person is doing three different jobs and the manager spent most of her time on Facebook or on the phone with her husband locked in an office. There was really no upper management to complain to, the regional managers were hardly ever around and they really didn't care to what was going on in the office.
great benefits, poor management
BENEFITS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  the woodlands, txJuly 20, 2015
The job comes with great perks, but the management is the worst ive ever seen. There is no chain of command above the operations manager, so if there is something HR related that you need help with, your out of luck. They talk to you like your worthless and could care less about your feelings or family situations. Being told on a regular basis...if you dont like it there is the door.
Pros
great dental discounts, bonuses
Cons
no support
The new manager in my department could have been better leader.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 29, 2015
New management in my department. very questionable? Some of the managers are unfair. Other than that I loved my job. It's hard to work for someone who does not care for you, when you do excellent work.
Pros
Good Employees
Cons
Questional management

Comment – July 14, 2015

We are happy to hear that you loved your job. In reference to your comments regarding management - we realize that misunderstandings and differences of opinion sometimes develop in the daily work situation. We believe that the open discussion of ideas, suggestions and concerns is important to our mutual success. Thank you for your review and we will be sure to provide your feedback to upper management.

A Great Company to Work for and With
Dental Assistant/RDA/Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 21, 2015
I've been with the company for almost 10 years. I've seen it grow into something truly amazing!!! I've seen Receptionists become Benefits Coordinators and grow to become amazing Operations Managers. I've seen Dental Assistants become Registered Dental Assistants, and grow to become Regional Trainers.
I've seen inexperienced Associate Dentists emerge into brilliant Associate Dentists, and become Awesome Owner Dentists and Multiple Office Owner Dentists.
I've seen awful Dentists come and I've gladly seen them go!!!
I've seen Office Managers become MOMs ( Multiple Office Managers), then Regional Managers.
I've seen thousands of people receive free dentistry, courtesy of PDS's "Operation Braveheart" and "We Serve" campaigns.
I've seen thousands of employees honored for their eXceptional Performance with annual XP Awards Celebration.
Not only have I seen these things, I've been a part of these things.
For me, the greatest thing of all about this company is that I have gained many life long friends and family members in my coworkers and the patients that have come through our doors!!!
Pros
Growth/Promotion, Benefits, Community Service, Recognition/Awards1 hour lunch break
Cons
You have to work Saturdays
Unethical....nothing matters but production
Dentist (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 18, 2015
Worst place to work if you want a balanced life, unethical...lots of pressure to do same-day-dentistry....lots of pressure to fill the specialists schedule....
Pros
Advertising
Cons
Everything else

Comment – July 14, 2015

We are sorry that your experience at a PDS®-supported office did not meet your expectations. Owner dentists, as well as associate dentists, strive to create a patient-centric environment that helps surface the needs, goals and desires of patients. This Perfect Patient Experience often calls for same-day dentistry to fulfill those desires and needs of the patients. It is true that PDS®-supported offices drive a patient focused business; while this is very valuable to patients, it also challenges employees to find balance because the needs of the patient may require earlier and/or later hours than anticipated. We appreciate your candid feedback and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

High turn over
Traveling Ortho Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ventura RegionJune 10, 2015
There is a reason Pacific Dental is always advertising for help!!! I worked at Pacific Dental for over a year and could not believe the employee (assistants, managers, receptionists, doctors) turnover!!! It is high patient volume, low pay, no encouragement from management, a negative place to work. The upper management is not in touch with the workers. The company's creed is great, it's just not a reality. It was discouraging to go to work I had a constant knot in my stomach. My immediate supervisor was a bully and so was the lead assistant (which was her best friend)!!! I still wake up in a cold sweat after dreaming about working there!!! I finally coulnt take the constant micromanagement and criticism!
Pros
Dental Benefits.
Cons
Low pay, negative place

Comment – July 14, 2015

We are sorry that your experience at a PDS®-supported office did not meet your expectations. We respectfully disagree in regards to your comment about always advertising. PDS® is experiencing double digit growth year over year which requires more advertising than normal. In reference to your comments regarding upper management - we realize that misunderstandings and differences of opinion can develop in the daily work situation; however, we believe that the open discussion of ideas, suggestions and concerns is important to our mutual success. That being said, we will pass along your feedback to our leadership team. Thank you.

Learning Curve, but useful information
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TexasJune 8, 2015
A typical day:

I work 9-6, I walk in the door at 8:45 and there are usually 3 or 4 patients ready to be checked in or the phones ringing. We are the busiest office in N. Texas. We average about 250K each month. After I check in all patients, I answer phones, then usually around 9:30 a doctor needs a treatment plan, so I look at the patients insurance, call the insurance if I need to get clarification on certain codes, then talk to the patient about finances. After we settle on what we want to do, I go back up to the front and call patients, call insurance companies, check patients in and do more treatment plans. Next thing I know its 2 o'clock and I usually take about a 45 min lunch and then its back to the same thing until 5:00. Around 5, I start to audit the charts for the day and make sure we match as far as money goes. That is a typical day. Very busy, very organized.
Pros
Helping people get the right care
Cons
Some unethical things by doctors
Orthodontic Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 9, 2015
The upper management was very understanding of circumstances. They were extremely patient in training me though I had no similar work experience in that department. Would definitely work here again if I could.
Ok
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 30, 2015
PDS has many excellent things going for it as a company. Some of the downsides are specific to a region and/or supervisors in my opinion. I would recommend this company, particularly for someone already in the Dental field that wants to excel in that industry.

2.8