Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)

Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) Employee Reviews

Excellent company, but run by idiots
Roving Operator (Former Employee) –  Auberry, CAJune 20, 2017
The best way I can describe PG&E is that it's a great company run by a bunch of idiots and sprinkled liberally with a bunch of gossips. The safety program, however, is the best I've seen of any company. I feel the pay and benefits are outstanding and training is top-notch.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, serious commitment to safety, beautiful workplaces.
Cons
Management (at certain locations) makes decisions based on gossip.
Great Place to work
Opeertions Clerk (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 20, 2017
I have worked at PGE for well over 20 years. I would say that this is a great place to work, and it focuses on diversity, Job Work/life balance. I would recommend PGE to anyone who is looking for a career.
Quite supportive and nice place to be in
Project Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJune 9, 2017
Staff is very friendly and supportive. Management is trying to keep up with the latest technology and processes. Management can be a bit too secretive and don't really let the staff know about changes till they actually happen. Workplace culture is quite relaxed and everyone does what they are supposed to do. Networking in this company is very important if you want to push your work through faster. That's the hardest part of the job because it sometimes takes longer than it should to get some things/issues resolved.
The most enjoyable part is that I have the liberty to organize things the way I feel comfortable, of course staying within set boundaries. People are quite supportive and willing to help out in situations.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Too many contractors than employees, so turn around is too fast and slows some work down
Disconnect from Supervisor
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJune 9, 2017
Great place to work if you have the option to work in a department that value you and your contribution. My supervisor was non responsive to anything that I did and did not provide a good atmosphere to complain.
Pros
Great and solid company
Cons
Poor supervisors
Good company doing forward-thinking work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 9, 2017
The company is a great place to work for in the energy space as it is forward thinking and one of the trend-setting utilities in the world. But like many large organizations, the company is weighed down by bureaucratic procedures. Efforts seem underway to break some of these barriers.
Pros
Great place to learn in the energy industry, fairly stable job, good appreciation for work, respectful workplace
Cons
Heavy bureaucracy, no perks whatsoever
Fast Paced / Lots of Change
Business Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2017
Fast Paced and a great leadership team. They understand the challenges coming in this industry and are adapting. They focus a lot on employee engagement and have great benefits.
Great Place to work!
Regulatory Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2017
As a summer intern I only caught a glimpse of what my life would be like as a permanent employee and I loved every minute. People there are on a first name basis, very open to collaboration and maintain a positive attitude.
Pros
Culture, People, Places to eat
Cons
9 hour days + travel
Great place to work if you can handle lots of stress
Lineman,troubleman (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CAJune 6, 2017
Used to be a great relaxed place to work,now people that have no actual experience working in the field are running the store and have unrealistic expectations.has created an atmosphere of unhappiness and also they don't take care of their injured workers who gave there blood and sweat over the years to help make this company great.once your injured and of no use to them your pushed out the door,they only do for you what's required by law nothing more.in my situation after 43,yrs of service and this is my personal opinion and observation
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, lots of overtime if desired
Cons
Everyone is stressed out, no work life balance
A place where the practice Safety
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 5, 2017
I enjoyed working for PG & E warehouse. The supervisors created a work environment for the employees, so there was always a BBQ cause we never had any accidents. Happy Working equals safe Environment.
Pros
Great people
Cons
I was let go the day of my probation ended after 8 and half months
Not a good company to work.
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 2, 2017
A changing culture that is overly demanding with no work/life balance. Although the pay and benefits are good, I would not recommend this company as a good place to work.

Want to know more about Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)?

Ask a question
Old company, Old culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 30, 2017
Place is ok. I wouldn't make a career out of PG&E. The culture is very union oriented and that is hard to change. But not a bad place to gain some experience.
Pros
Great location if you end up in the SF office. Good for networking to other jobs
Cons
Horrible place for advancement
Teams are smart, hard working, and very competent
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2017
This is the only company where I worked for more than 2 years. Most people spend their entire careers there, and for good reason: the work/life balance is great, almost everyone that I worked with was a team player and very smart, and the leadership is excellent.
Good company, improving processes and safety
Foremans Clerk (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAMay 27, 2017
Training and education provided throughout the company to help you know your job and perform at a high level. Good training is one of the hallmarks of PG&E jobs.
Not a good place for IT
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMay 25, 2017
PG&E is a big company and there are some great departments, but the IT department is poor and not well managed. How well you are treated (training, resources, etc.) depends on which group/city you are in.

If you are in the wrong group:

- you are given systems to support without any documentation or training.
- your systems will be treated like a "set it and forget it" by management. As long as a system works, your requests to revisit or improve will be denied.
- the best projects will be given to consultants and as an employees you will be left to do maintenance work.
- as a current employees you will be treated like "old blood" no matter what skills or self-learning you have done.

On the positive side, because the training is horrible, the employees who actively try to keep up their skills are great self-starters and self-learners. Very smart people overlooked by management.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Focus on Safety/Ergo, Benefits
Cons
Poor IT Management
Daily Grind
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 25, 2017
There is always more work to do. All of my departments clients are internal, so we don't add to the bottom line and have to justify ourselves during each job. This causes stress and changes in upper management means layoffs.

Since union job counts are tied to management employees, the only way to reduce union workforce is to lay off management employees first.
Pros
Really great bunch of people to work with
Cons
Union jobs tied to management jobs
Great company and ridiculous management
Financial Accounting Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 21, 2017
The company is good, takes care of the employees in terms of health, time off and trainings. A lot of opportunity to move around and learn things. The company has been lately hiring some very bright talent. However, the overall morale is at a record low. There are continuous talks of lay offs due to affordability. Major budget cuts have impacted management expectations. The expectations is to achieve I am not sure what. Nothing is every good enough, nothing. The company has a 'speak up' culture but if you do it does come with repercussions. You alone will face them. The company does give trainings on no retaliation but I have faced it myself. Overall, disappointed at the work life balance and constant pressure from old timers who are insecure about their job position.
Pros
Training, work with very smart people, STIP around 8-10 percent every year
Cons
Management lacks transparency, budget cuts leading to lay offs, too much beauracracy and upward movement very challenging
Supportive Work Envronment
Senior Administrative Assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 19, 2017
Supported a Director and also 30 Union Workers.

Handled travel, invoices and other adhoc projects.

The hardest part of the job is handling termination and layoffs.
Pros
Supported employees improving themselves going back to school.
Cons
n/a
Productive and fun workpalce
Field Services Hiring Hall Operating Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 15, 2017
Working at Pacific Gas and Electric has changed my life for the better. It is an amazing company to work for. Its an amazing career. It is a very fun and productive work environment.
Sad
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 6, 2017
Too strict too many politics I would be at my computer someone would come behind me and say Im not sitting correctly and then start to measure how far/close I am etc. Very stressful environment
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Like a high school
Great Place To Retire If You Can Navigate Change
CONTRACT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 5, 2017
The benefits are great! But it's not a sexy company that you would necessarily brag to your friends about working at like Facebook, Google or Apple. Overall, it's stable because for the foreseeable future, people are going to continue to need electricity (even if it's just for back up for customers with solar and battery storage).

And the utility industry is going thru a lot of change due to solar and EV Charging Station installs and battery storage, and competition from cities who are purchasing their energy directly from the generators instead of from PG&E.

It's a great place to work, but you have to be nimble and ready for change and able to adapt if you want stay around for awhile and retire with the company.
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
Industry is changing so quickly!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E). Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval