Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)

Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) Employee Reviews in United States

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 12, 2016
Typical work day consist of organizing projects, review open tasks, review resource needs and project funding. I've learned PGE Project Methodology. The culture at PGE is amazing, they foster team work and safety. The hardest part of the job, is vendor management. The most enjoyable part of the Job is completing your projects on time and within budget.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Not enough full time jobs to convert Project Mangers
Productive and Good Work Life Balance
Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAAugust 12, 2016
Mostly troubleshooting issues on different servers.
Learnt New Technologies and Strategies involved in Migration
Management is wonderful
Working with experienced co-workers helped me learn about the way they think
PG&E - challenging / stressful / good pay / benifits
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 10, 2016
PG&E is a HUGE company with many different departments. The workplace culture varies widely between each. If you are new to the company and do not have someone to guide you through for the first few years it is very easy to get lost in the mix.
Some cons include constant management changes, in my particular department there has been 5 different leadership changes within 3 years, and more are expected. Many times your manager can be working out of a different city and you may only communicate via email, it can be hard to develop any kind of a professional working relationship and creates many different frustrations in regards to developing your skills so that you can move positions.
It is also important to note that this is a very male dominated company, very few women hold any type of management positions, and there are still some departments where no women work at all. As a women you may need to be prepared to work immensely harder to gain traction in the company.
The best part of the job is that some positions do not have too much micromanagement, however this can create many feelings of 'sink or swim' situations.
I have certainly learned to be a very independent worker, and to realize that management can (especially if their work location is in a different city compared to yours), tend to be out of touch with what challenges you face on a day-to-day basis, and may not truly appreciate your everyday efforts.
The pay is very good, although sometimes the stresses of the job out weigh that positive. Also, it is sometimes surprising the pay differences between people
  more... at the company at all levels.
Anyway, it is a challenging job, if you are independent, and can take "constructive" criticism with a grain of salt, you just might survive.
Pros
Good pay, great place for independent workers, good benifits
Cons
stressful / difficult hierarcy setting / at times feels chaotic
Productive and fun workplace
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 3, 2016
 Experience with configuring Nexus 2000 Fabric Extender (FEX) which acts as a remote line card (module) for the Nexus 5000.
 Experience working with F5 Load balancer with LTM, GTM
 Experience working with Converting WAN routing from OSPF to BGP.
 Reviewing, analyzing, approving and executing all changes in the network. All Configurations of Cisco Routers and Switches.
 Involved in the removal of EIGRP from all devices and making OSPF the primary routing protocol.
 Worked on ACE load balancers. Experience with F5 load balancers - LTM, GTM series like 6400, 6800, 8800 for the corporate applications and their availability.
 Involved in the modification and removal (wherever necessary) of BGP from the MPLS routers.
Pros
Free Lunch and accommodation
Cons
2 breaks for a Day
On Call 24/7 & 365 days a year
Project Manager Securitas (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 19, 2016
I am on call 24/7 365 days a year and handle all security request and most major security incidents for PG&E. Very exciting position and no day is ever the same.
Productive and Nice people to work along side
internship Fresno Ca (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 19, 2016
I had a good work experience. They help me get a taste of what the job field was going to be for me.
Pros
Nice workers. friendly environment
Extensive work experience through specialized training & classes
Clerk-Typist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, Hayward & Oakland, CAJuly 9, 2016
Can't describe a typical day at work as I worked in several departments over my 10 year employment with PG&E. I always worked with awesome co-workers. We always worked as a team. I learned the ins and outs of each department. I worked for some really neat supervisors. I think the best part of my job was working in the front where the public paid their utility bill. The interaction with the public was so awesome.
Pros
Gained vast knowledge
Cons
Commute and traffic getting to and from work
Enthusiastic Student looking for meaningful work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJuly 7, 2016
PG&E is a great place to intern and hopefully to work as well. My internship was one month I earned 3 certifications in the program.
Productive fast paced Emergency response
Work and Resource Gas Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJune 28, 2016
Every day is different. Fast paced, need to multi task, be a quick thinker, and handle emergencies when arised. With our department an emergency response department, we must ensure safety and at the same time meet our customer appointments and demands.
Very Focused on Customer Service
Senior Paralegal (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 24, 2016
Company that focuses on providing customer service. Respects and values employees. Includes community service and charity as its corporate mission
Pacific Gas & Electric
Troubleshooter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2016
Working hard to correct issues and will be a great company in the future. It is difficult to work in San Francisco unless you can afford to live downtown. The cost of living in downtown or nearby is very expensive. The employees are good to work with and generally very friendly.
Rocklin Office
SCADA Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 1, 2016
As a contract employee in my work there was little to no room for a permanent position in current title. Flexible work schedule with all remote access needs except cell phone. Management is good with many changes in co-worker support. Hardest part of job was trying to get correct financial information with recent changes to internal processes. Most emphasis is placed on finance, not project construction. this was a great learning experience that will carry on for long times.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too many changes in financial reporting that was not vetted out prior to implementation
supervisor not ok
Safety Engineering Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 31, 2016
it was ok, not a lot of faith in the management department at PG&E they could learn from management leadership training. I hope they make these improvements in the future
Pg&e
Gas System Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMay 27, 2016
This truly is a great company to work for with excellent salary and great benefits. The only down side is that at times it can be too process heavy due to too many engineers in leadership positions.

PG&E has the strongest safety culture of any company I have ever worked for or with. They actually are interested in keeping the employees and the public safe.
Awesome employees and management was the best I have ever seen.
Computer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 17, 2016
Loved working for PG&E. I was hired as a contractor through a contracting agency and I loved every day and minute working for the TSC with in PG&E. I worked for them for a full year till sadly my contract was cut short. I wish that I could do it all again!
Pros
Awesome employees and management.
Cons
Difficult for promotions and ability to move forward.
excellent place to work
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 13, 2016
Pacific Gas and Electric is an amazing place to work. There is plenty of room for advancement if you are a dedicated person and if you re willing to travel or move.
Great people, great benefits
OPERATING CLERK (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMay 11, 2016
I have worked for PG&E for ten years, and I am happy with the company's direction and enjoy my current position. My goal however is to move out of California, in which I hope to find similar employment.PG&E has great benefits, great management, and a strong Union - all things I hope to acquire if the opportunity presents itself.
44 years and retired
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 8, 2016
Proud to have been an employee. Various positions. Excellent benefits, honest leadership with focus integrity.

I think this sums it up.
Pg&e
Firewatch/Holewatch (Current Employee) –  Avila Beach, CAMay 6, 2016
The best company I've ever worked for. Everyone is very family friendly. Just overall, a great company to work for. I have no complaints.
Productive and engaging work
Project Controls Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAMay 3, 2016
During my time at PG&E I worked with many wonderful people who were more than willing to share their knowledge with me. I would arrive 15 minutes early and get to work. Throughout the course of the day I would always look for more work to do from my supervisor and the project manager. I sharpened my communication skills at work by talking with employees of various skill level, job position, and other companies. I learned a lot about project management and how a large scale project is handled. This ranged from the reports required for filing with the California Public Utilities Company to reviewing financial statements to find discrepancies with forecasted values. The hardest part of my day was leaving, I sincerely enjoyed my internship at PG&E and loved the working culture. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning. This ranged from how systems in the nuclear power plant worked to understanding how to effectively coordinate multiple projects at once.
Pros
ability to learn
Cons
didn't work there long enough

Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) Reviews by Location