Pacific Life Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Annuity Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 6, 2014
I was hired on in October 2010 and went through a very extensive training stint that lasted 4 weeks to pass the series 6 license with a class of 12 people. Once we all passed the series 6, two people were forced out. ( I think they over hired thinking that some wouldn't pass the series 6)

when it came to being on the phones, mind you this is a customer service job sitting in a cubicle answering calls for 8 hours. I enjoyed helping customers get their money, transfer their funds and help with completing their forms. However, it soon became obvious that my manager, who will remain nameless yet not shameless) continued to bring me in for the minimalist of infractions over the phone. Such as I forgot to tell the client what business hours when closing the conversation.

Pacific Life would record all conversations with clients and then pick 4-5 calls that were not perfect out of 45-50 and nail you on those calls why you didn't do this and why you didn't do that. This was done, I believe because they wanted to get rid of me and wanted to find something. I have been in this industry for 20 years and they kept calling me in for stuff while other people who were never part of this industry never received the same scrutiny as I did. It was extreme micromanagement.

Pacific Life has these old computer and programs from the 1980's when Ronald Reagan was President. That should tell you all you need to know about the total incompetence of the people running this company. It's sad because there were alot of nice people that I met there. Unfortuenately, it's a horrible place to work.
Pros
nice co-workers, a cafeteria in the building
Cons
micromanaged to death, incompetent people running the place, no comrodery, horrible place where you are treated like a cow in a stall
Great Employer...
Treasury Department Representative (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAAugust 12, 2015
Typical Day at Work:
Normally 8am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday. Review and respond to emails during the first half hour. Pick up sorted account payables through out the day, process approximately 150 to 200 invoices. Respond to inbound inquiry calls in regards to payment statuses through out the day. Special account tracking tasks assigned by management on an occasional basis.

What I Learned:
How to work within a large organization.

Management:
Excellent. They experienced and well versed in their respective positions. They know how to train subordinates and reference up to date Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).

Co-workers:
Good people with strong work ethics.

Hardest Part of the Job:
The repetition of the work.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:
The overall caring business culture: People first.
Bad culture and management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAOctober 12, 2014
Bad management. Company culture sounds good on paper, but get lost down the line. Managers are very very petty and play favoritism. Company does not like to promote from within. Hard to move around in company both vertically and horizontally. Job performance review makes no sense (Messy desk resulted from working too hard is negative, etc). Inept people get promoted because they kiss up.
Pros
good benefit, coworkers
Cons
bad managers, micromanagement, backstabbing culture, promote distrust among team members, managers are hypocrites, favoritism, inept people get promotion, below average pay.
Unorganized, unprofessional & non-responsive
Internal Wholesaler - Not an employee (Former Employee) –  Omaha,NESeptember 26, 2013
This company is a very risky option if you are thinking about working with them. I had 4 interviews with them and they demonstrated a great deal of shady behavior during the interview process. I was constantly provided conflicting information from different people. I was asked the same questions multiple times and they were non-responsive. It just felt very unorganized and unprofessional. Just be careful, pay attention to the signs and proceed with caution.
Pros
widely known company
Cons
shady local management/leadership team
Rewarding working with Producers and Life Insurance Agents
Inside Sales & Marketing- Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2013
A typical day for me at Pacific Life was establishing and maintaining relationships with Life Insurance Producers through calls and sales campaigns. Prospected through cold calls and provided leads to the Territory Regional Vice President. Scheduled meetings and follow-up for the Regional Vice President with Life Insurance producers.
Cons
worked in a remote office. there was no room for advancement.
Well Branded Historical Company
Bank Recon and Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 6, 2014
My typical work day reflect on running daily reports. Providing division updated report status. Manage daily Bank Reconciliation on Corporate and subdivision accounts. Review, match and apply any adjustment to bank statement and company transaction.
I work with a great management team as well as my peers. Makes my work day enjoyable.
My daily work load is understandable and easy to complete all or any deadline in a timely manner.
Corp I.T. lack of communication
N/A (Former Employee) –  Orange county, Ca.May 21, 2014
I would not reccomend working at this company. The atmosphere is somewhat boring & stuffy compared to other progressive companies in the area.
Management & subordinates do not communicate clearly.
Contractors can be treated like second class citizen's. Do not contract there- ever.
Benefits are great if your an employee..
Alot of good people work at this company- its too bad that they have to deal with the antiquated managment system there.
Productive and challenging and very supportive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 28, 2012
Working at Pacific Life & Annuity for 22 years was very rewarding. A great place to learn and opportunities for challenging yourself and plans for advancement. A typical day focused on customer service both internal and external. Teamwork across departments made for a great environment and customer focus.
Pros
benefits, salary, great management and teamwork
Team orientated culture with helpful team
1035 and Accounting Representative (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Pacific Life is very team oriented with team members always willing to lend a hand and always willing to help you learn. Communicated with team members very well and nobody ever felt left out. Management made sure we remained on task without spying and hovering over us. Environment was very positive and uplifting.
Senior Business Analyst/Demand Manager (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJuly 14, 2015
Productivity, drive, and innovation lack due to employees who have been there for decades, some in same positions/departments. Many "old school minded" are not receptive to new blood and ideas on efficiency and improvements.
Great place to work with a lot of stability
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CASeptember 13, 2015
I've only ever worked here and have enjoyed its people and culture immensely. I have learned everything from here and have seen it grow culturally, as well as it become very adaptive based on the market and its own product offerings. It does have red tape and politics.
Pros
work / life balance
Cons
politics
Self motivated and efficient
Accounting Control Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJanuary 11, 2014
I am self motivated and very productive at work I am self driven towards learning. My strong accounting skills are AP, AR, journal entries, month end, bank reconciliation and account reconciliation-revenue, expense, accrued, prepaid and asset accounts. I have internal audit experience of 3 years.
Working for the weekend
Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJuly 27, 2015
The days go by fast at this company. Months soon turn into years as the work makes time fly. The weekends were too short and the weekdays too long to work the same duties over and over. The company manages risk and they do not take any. Temporary workers are a big part of the company.
A great place to as a team
Help Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CaApril 26, 2013
Poised to contribute unique blend of sales, project-management, and exemplary customer-support skills, along with commitment to excellence, to your firm’s value by ensuring that projects support strategic mission and objectives within scope, budget, and schedule.
Cons
noe
Fortune 500 Compnay with a Strong Customer Service Focus
Senior Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJanuary 26, 2015
My husband and I have decided to relocate to the Pacific Northwest. I enjoy working for Pacific Life and would probably not be leaving if there was an opportnuity for transfer to a position in the Pacific Northwest.
Interesting place to work
Sr. Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CADecember 11, 2013
A typical day at work involved regulatory review and updating various divisions on requirements as applicable to them. I learned more about the insurance industry had professional relationships with my co-workers. The job was not hard.
Mutual Company is commendable
NICE Perform Certified Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CADecember 8, 2014
I was always impressed with the desire to keep in front of new technology. This can also become an obstacle. It can lead to the desires of a view become declared as policy.
Pros
desire to excel
Cons
middle management
Very Large Company with Good Pay and Benefits
New Business Associate - Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJuly 23, 2012
I received outstanding training and support from this company. They recently purchased an office building in Aliso Viejo. Most people have been with this organization for many years.
Productive workplace
New Business Analyst (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CaliforniaJune 29, 2015
Assisted underwriters with the evaluation of applications to determine degree of risk of an individual. Helped evaluate client's medical history, acting as the intermediary between underwriters and producers.
Was a good company to work for.
IN FORCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Alisio Viejo, CAJune 25, 2012
I had to be very flexable. I had to be able to reprioritze my desk multiple times a day according to the cases that would come up.
Pros
great medical benefits.
Cons
dental insurance was not great