Pacific Lutheran University Employee Review

View all Pacific Lutheran University reviews

Fun and interesting diverse people to work with. Good experience in many different situations.
Operations Supervisor - Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 20, 2013
A typical day at work would be me showing up getting any pass downs from the previous operations supervisor about anything that had happened during the previous three shifts that I needed to be aware of. Then checking schedule for any inconsistencies and address those. I would normally then do a quick walk through the entire campus checking for any safety issues or anything that should have been completed on the shifts before that hadn't. I would then go over any reports that had been submitted for approval review and either submit them or send them back for corrections. During this I continually listened to the radio and responded to any incidents that may require higher supervision. Also dealt with policy violations, maintenance issues, and non students violating the law on or near campus. I learned how to deal with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, beliefs, and upbringings. I didn't deal with my management very much. I was mainly left on my own. When there were major incidents involving the sheriffs, or fire department they would back up the decisions I made to their higher ups. I would meet with them about once every three months and discuss what had been going on, trends in crime, safety issues etc. Hardest part of the job was convincing the students that enforcing the rules was for their own good. Most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of day to day routine. Also dealing with different situations and having to create win win situations.
Pros
Flexibility in day to day work routine. Work to time off ratio.
Cons
All meetings were during my time off, and I was salaried.

Other Pacific Lutheran University Employee Reviews

Slow
Director of Sports Communication Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 8, 2018
The culture at PLU is that things are not of extreme importance and they can always be done another time. The pressure is light and there is no huge push to get things done.
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 26, 2017
PLU is a great place to work.
Benefit package is phenomenal, with paid time off in late December and an additional 40 hours paid time off in the summer. Medical benefits are good too.
People tend to stay at PLU for a long time, there is a different atmosphere here.