Pacific Lutheran University Employee Reviews

Great company culture and people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Schedule (half day Fridays), week in December
Cons: None
Great place to work. Culture and community very inspiring.
I enjoyed my time at PLU everyday because of the staff and students and all of the amazing events offered on campus.
Small university with some smart students
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 19, 2015
The class size is pretty small (usually under 30). It is not a bad place to work. However, not much time to develop research.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 10, 2015
Pros: Learned many new skills
Cons: Challenging
This position was a challenge, however I did learn many new skills. Working with a whole different challenging work environment. Employed with a great university.
great sense of community responsibility
208 Garfield Lead (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 22, 2015
Wonderful employer. Great benefits that extend past just medical and dental. Invaluable life and career development experiences received here.
Good leadership experience
Clinical Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Tacoma, WADecember 24, 2014
I worked as the nursing instructor for master's level nursing students in psychiatric nursing. I learned a great deal about effective nursing management. I worked on a staff with two other nursing instructors to effectively educate these nursing students. My greatest accomplishment was to mentor these students to become professional nurses.
Pacific Lutheran
Director of Content Development (Current Employee), Tacoma, WASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: nice tuition benefits
Cons: low pay when compared with industry
Great place to work, and good people to work with. Culture is changing a bit though, and less warm than it used to be. Love working around the students and their hope and passion. Learned that there is life after journalism.
Relaxed work environment with flexibility in schedule
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), University Marketing and CommunicationsSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: lots of middle management interference
Relaxed work environment with flexibility in schedule. All holidays off. Lots of vacation time. Good benefits. Very good retirement package. Good up-to-date equipment, operating system and programs.
Very intense and extreemly exciting.
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: working in a highly professional environment, and getting a real life experience.
Cons: no cones
Although this job was considered an internship, I also took classes and received a full semester school credits to complete a minor in Psychology. I was assigned readings and assignments to complete on my time off, which were closely related to the duties I was performing at the hospital, therefore it was really intense and challenging three months. But, overall, I really enjoyed working and learning in a highly professional environment
Fun and interesting diverse people to work with. Good experience in many different situations.
Operations Supervisor - Campus Safety (Former Employee), Tacoma, WADecember 20, 2013
Pros: flexibility in day to day work routine. work to time off ratio.
Cons: all meetings were during my time off, and i was salaried.
A typical day at work would be me showing up getting any pass downs from the previous operations supervisor about anything that had happened during the previous three shifts that I needed to be aware of. Then checking schedule for any inconsistencies and address those. I would normally then do a quick walk through the entire campus checking for any safety issues or anything that should have been completed on the shifts before that hadn't. I would then go over any reports that had been submitted for approval review and either submit them or send them back for corrections. During this I continually listened to the radio and responded to any incidents that may require higher supervision. Also dealt with policy violations, maintenance issues, and non students violating the law on or near campus. I learned how to deal with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, beliefs, and upbringings. I didn't deal with my management very much. I was mainly left on my own. When there were major incidents involving the sheriffs, or fire department they would back up the decisions I made to their higher ups. I would meet with them about once every three months and discuss what had been going on, trends in crime, safety issues etc. Hardest part of the job was convincing the students that enforcing the rules was for their own good. Most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of day to day routine. Also dealing with different situations and having to create win win situations.
Safety Officer
Safety/Communication Officer (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 22, 2013
It was a great place to work. They cared about the people that worked for them.
Great school great learning environment
Chinese Language Program Associate (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 5, 2013
Pros: small class
Cons: na
I am so blessed to be a student of PLU and have the opportunity to have the experience of liberal arts college education.
Great working environment
Assistant Rowing Coach (Current Employee), tacoma,waJanuary 17, 2013
I love working for PLU. I get to work with outstanding students that are very fun to work with. I love training the team and teaching them how to row.
Keeps you busy
Library Circulation Assistant (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 25, 2012
You do a lot of grunt work, but it is full time. You learn how to communicate in a business manner. The management takes some getting used to, but after some time you get used to it. I would recommend this job as a last resort. It can get extremely boring and repetitive after a month.
Fun and Productive work experience
Facilities Management (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 5, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no benefits
A typical day for me is finishing and working on different work-orders around the campus. I have learned many communications skills as I have communicate with multiple people through out the campus including the Vice President and many other Administrative employees.
Great workplace.
Sustainability Business Intern (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAFebruary 29, 2012
Great workplace for students who are in need of a job in conjunction with a busy schedule as a full-time student.