Pacific Lutheran University Employee Reviews

Great students
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Parkland, WAJuly 19, 2017
Great place to work. Allowed to use kitchen to have class make food for classes. But just an adjunct--no job security. Wonderful Colleagues and supportive work environment.
Pros
Wonderful colleagues
Cons
Adjunct work.
Good Job, Good People, Good Pay
PLU Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parkland, WAJuly 12, 2017
This job, while it did not provide many hours, had a very flexible schedule and the managers were great to work with. They were professional but they recognized that just cause you should take the job serious doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. The pay was decent. I made more per hour than I do now at a grocery store.
Comfortable Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 27, 2017
The best thing about working at Pacific Lutheran University is the sense of community and belonging. The worst is probably the pay, it is definitely below what one would get in the public sector, they are aware of it and have been working to close the gap, but it is a long process.

With the administration change in 2012, there were a lot of cut backs and people being ousted. And this year, 2017, the President is leaving so there will be a year with an interim President and then a whole new administration that will probably make more changes. The next couple years will be in flux.
Pros
Great benefits, use of University facilities, tuition remission
Cons
The new administration will make it interesting again for 2017 and beyond.
Lot's of job options
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 8, 2017
The website that students and alumni use is very easy to use and it was easy to find a job that was right for me. All the jobs are mindful that school comes first.
Admission Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 7, 2017
Our staff and faculty heavily align with PLU's mission statement. It's a wonderful place to work if you believe in the pursuit of thoughtful inquiry and service. This will NOT be a place you can make a ton of money, but we deal with the horrible pay for a reason. :) The culture here is unmatched, and will most likely make it hard to leave when the time comes.
Pros
Benefits, tons of vacation, work culture
Cons
Pay
Productive and fun workplace
Student Representative/Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 11, 2017
A typical day at work comprised of mailing packages, checking out vacuums, and directing visitors on how to get to buildings. I learned how to work with people no matter what kind of mood they were in. The ability to communicate and work with the students was very valuable and will serve as a great great talent to have for other jobs.
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
Few hours offered
Working with students and helping them keep their comitments in paying for their classes
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 24, 2017
Educating students on all the avenues of paying for their education and Promissory Notes; which I used only as last ditch effort. I loved dealing with the cashier department and directly with the students.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Corprate staus jumping with unethical ways.
Great Colleagues
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 19, 2017
Working with students in the biology classroom was fantastic.
My colleagues are fantastic. The environment pushed me to develop professionally in many different areas.
Fun
Campus Safety Video Officer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 25, 2017
Watched cameras daily to ensure safety on campus grounds. The management was well they worked with my school schedule. I learned how to dispatch to safety officers out in the field. The hardest part of the job was working some graveyard shifts and then not have enough sleep before attending class.
Part-Time Job while obtaining my Bachelor's degree.
Interlibrary Loan Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parkland, WAJanuary 4, 2017
This job worked really well with my school/class schedule so I could make a little extra money while I worked towards my Bachelor's degree. While here, I got to build all of my communication, administrative, and other skills.
A good place to work.
Finance & Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 11, 2016
This was a good learning job as an intern. Friendly staff. Flexible with my school schedule. Enjoyed this wroking enviornment.
nice work enviroment
Dining service Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2016
Very nice people at work, people help each other and well understanding. Instruction is clear and easy to follow. Work is easy but can be busy sometimes.
Super easy student job
Student I&TS Hardware Tech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 6, 2015
Just show up you'll do fine. If you like being a student at the school, but you would like to know where the horrendous amount of money you spend goes. Look no further.
Overall
Computer Purchasing and Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma WaOctober 23, 2015
Pacific Lutheran University has a great atmosphere. Teamwork was a daily exercise.
I managed client hardware calls and purchased computer equipment. I supervised 4-6 student worker technicians, teaching them how to fix hardware issues.
The hardest part of the job was working with coworkers who went outside of their job and tried to fix issues out of their realm and we had to explain to the client what happened and then fix the problem.
Most of the coworkers were great with a positive attitude.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help our clients with their computers problems. Working with some great people.
Pros
Great benifits, being able to take the time off at short notice if needed, culture of the the campus
Cons
Not being taken seriously by the boss, being blamed for other peoples mistakes.
Energizing, great benefits such as flex time.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 9, 2015
Very good company to work for sorry I was let go due to office downsizing. Exposed to different seasonal activities for staff
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Great company culture and people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 25, 2015
Great place to work. Culture and community very inspiring.
I enjoyed my time at PLU everyday because of the staff and students and all of the amazing events offered on campus.
Pros
Schedule (half day Fridays), week in December
Cons
Small university with some smart students
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 19, 2015
The class size is pretty small (usually under 30). It is not a bad place to work. However, not much time to develop research.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 10, 2015
This position was a challenge, however I did learn many new skills. Working with a whole different challenging work environment. Employed with a great university.
Pros
Learned many new skills
Cons
Challenging
great sense of community responsibility
208 Garfield Lead (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 22, 2015
Wonderful employer. Great benefits that extend past just medical and dental. Invaluable life and career development experiences received here.
Good leadership experience
Clinical Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 24, 2014
I worked as the nursing instructor for master's level nursing students in psychiatric nursing. I learned a great deal about effective nursing management. I worked on a staff with two other nursing instructors to effectively educate these nursing students. My greatest accomplishment was to mentor these students to become professional nurses.