Pacific Lutheran University Employee Reviews in United States

nice work enviroment
Dining service Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2016
Very nice people at work, people help each other and well understanding. Instruction is clear and easy to follow. Work is easy but can be busy sometimes.
Super easy student job
Student I&TS Hardware Tech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 6, 2015
Just show up you'll do fine. If you like being a student at the school, but you would like to know where the horrendous amount of money you spend goes. Look no further.
Overall
Computer Purchasing and Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma WaOctober 23, 2015
Pacific Lutheran University has a great atmosphere. Teamwork was a daily exercise.
I managed client hardware calls and purchased computer equipment. I supervised 4-6 student worker technicians, teaching them how to fix hardware issues.
The hardest part of the job was working with coworkers who went outside of their job and tried to fix issues out of their realm and we had to explain to the client what happened and then fix the problem.
Most of the coworkers were great with a positive attitude.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help our clients with their computers problems. Working with some great people.
Pros
Great benifits, being able to take the time off at short notice if needed, culture of the the campus
Cons
Not being taken seriously by the boss, being blamed for other peoples mistakes.
Energizing, great benefits such as flex time.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 9, 2015
Very good company to work for sorry I was let go due to office downsizing. Exposed to different seasonal activities for staff
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Great company culture and people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 25, 2015
Great place to work. Culture and community very inspiring.
I enjoyed my time at PLU everyday because of the staff and students and all of the amazing events offered on campus.
Pros
Schedule (half day Fridays), week in December
Cons
Small university with some smart students
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 19, 2015
The class size is pretty small (usually under 30). It is not a bad place to work. However, not much time to develop research.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 10, 2015
This position was a challenge, however I did learn many new skills. Working with a whole different challenging work environment. Employed with a great university.
Pros
Learned many new skills
Cons
Challenging
great sense of community responsibility
208 Garfield Lead (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 22, 2015
Wonderful employer. Great benefits that extend past just medical and dental. Invaluable life and career development experiences received here.
Good leadership experience
Clinical Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 24, 2014
I worked as the nursing instructor for master's level nursing students in psychiatric nursing. I learned a great deal about effective nursing management. I worked on a staff with two other nursing instructors to effectively educate these nursing students. My greatest accomplishment was to mentor these students to become professional nurses.
Pacific Lutheran
Director of Content Development (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 18, 2014
Great place to work, and good people to work with. Culture is changing a bit though, and less warm than it used to be. Love working around the students and their hope and passion. Learned that there is life after journalism.
Pros
nice tuition benefits
Cons
low pay when compared with industry
Relaxed work environment with flexibility in schedule
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  University Marketing and CommunicationsSeptember 2, 2014
Relaxed work environment with flexibility in schedule. All holidays off. Lots of vacation time. Good benefits. Very good retirement package. Good up-to-date equipment, operating system and programs.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
lots of middle management interference
Fun and interesting diverse people to work with. Good experience in many different situations.
Operations Supervisor - Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 20, 2013
A typical day at work would be me showing up getting any pass downs from the previous operations supervisor about anything that had happened during the previous three shifts that I needed to be aware of. Then checking schedule for any inconsistencies and address those. I would normally then do a quick walk through the entire campus checking for any safety issues or anything that should have been completed on the shifts before that hadn't. I would then go over any reports that had been submitted for approval review and either submit them or send them back for corrections. During this I continually listened to the radio and responded to any incidents that may require higher supervision. Also dealt with policy violations, maintenance issues, and non students violating the law on or near campus. I learned how to deal with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, beliefs, and upbringings. I didn't deal with my management very much. I was mainly left on my own. When there were major incidents involving the sheriffs, or fire department they would back up the decisions I made to their higher ups. I would meet with them about once every three months and discuss what had been going on, trends in crime, safety issues etc. Hardest part of the job was convincing the students that enforcing the rules was for their own good. Most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of day to day routine. Also dealing with different situations and having to create win win situations.
Pros
flexibility in day to day work routine. work to time off ratio.
Cons
all meetings were during my time off, and i was salaried.
Safety Officer
Safety/Communication Officer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 22, 2013
It was a great place to work. They cared about the people that worked for them.
Great school great learning environment
Chinese Language Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 5, 2013
I am so blessed to be a student of PLU and have the opportunity to have the experience of liberal arts college education.
Pros
small class
Cons
na
The best company I have ever worked for.
Residence Hall Front Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 13, 2013
I worked with PLU in other capacities than just this job over the course of my four years as a student, but this was the most recent one. A typical day working the front desk for the dorm involved monitoring each person coming and going from the dorm to make sure residents and their guests were safe. Handling of a "money box" and regulating the use of dorm equipment occupied a significant amount of daily time as well. Co-workers were other dorm-mates, so we were able to all become close co-workers.
Pros
study while you work (after other tasks are completed), speak to and interact with people professionally.
Cons
none.
Great working environment
Assistant Rowing Coach (Current Employee) –  tacoma,waJanuary 17, 2013
I love working for PLU. I get to work with outstanding students that are very fun to work with. I love training the team and teaching them how to row.
Keeps you busy
Library Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 25, 2012
You do a lot of grunt work, but it is full time. You learn how to communicate in a business manner. The management takes some getting used to, but after some time you get used to it. I would recommend this job as a last resort. It can get extremely boring and repetitive after a month.
Fun and Productive work experience
Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 5, 2012
A typical day for me is finishing and working on different work-orders around the campus. I have learned many communications skills as I have communicate with multiple people through out the campus including the Vice President and many other Administrative employees.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
Great workplace.
Sustainability Business Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 29, 2012
Great workplace for students who are in need of a job in conjunction with a busy schedule as a full-time student.