Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Department of Energy Facility
Director, Safety and Health (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMarch 28, 2016
Innovative operation-EH&S served all Directorates, Excellent EH&S staff. Enjoyed providing solutions to EH&S challenges across the organization.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Over regulation by DOE
great
Helpful people around
Advanced instruments
Professional Subject Matter Experts
Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 6, 2016
PNNL is a widely recognized public laboratory that prides itself on hiring professionals and subject matter experts to drive their mission of science innovation, research and development. This particular laboratory located in Richland, Washington is one of the largest in the United States employing over 4000 staff.
Pros
Policies & Procedures
Cons
Lack of staff & management training
Government Job with Government People and Government Mindset
Cyber Security Operations Center Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 17, 2015
It is not a bad place to work especially if you are passionate about the job. I was in operations and it is really just about maintaining the status quo. Typically all you need to do is log in and make sure all the lights are still on and then monitor your inbox for the rest of the day. Occasionally there are some administrative tasks or projects to work on. I learned a lot about operations while I was here and the people do try hard and are probably some of the smartest people on the planet. There are some strong personalities but for the most part people are pleasant.

I have worked in worse places but man am I bored.
Pros
Depending on your work the ability to flex your time, work from anywhere is awesome.
Cons
Do not expect to actually be able to do anything. It is sort of a place to go to retire.
Great place to work with brilliant people working on the tough science
Electronics Technician 5 (Current Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 14, 2015
Designed projects from inception to final product and novel circuit designs. Worked with nuclear physicists on unique, cutting edge nuclear detection circuitry.
Pros
Great people to work with, really brilliant.
Cons
You have to "find" projects to work on, healthcare benefits
Scientist (IV) (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 9, 2015
PNNL is a great place whch balances research and industrial development works and provides a lot of flexibility and career potential.
Great place to work with brilliant people working on the tough science
Electronics Technician 5 (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAAugust 18, 2015
My days are spent typically designing PC boards and helping design novel circuitry for radiation detection. I also help scientists with documentation for proposals and papers.

I have leaned a LOT about radiation, and how it is detected, from large amounts to very tiny amounts. I also learned how to design circuitry to detect this radiation.

Our management tends to be rather "hands off" which I consider a good thing.

The people I work with have got to be the best part of my job - I only have a BSEET in electronics, and I work with PhD level folks who treat me like an equal - they are some of the nicest people I have EVER worked with or for!

Hardest part of my job is everything is charged to a project, and if you don't have a project to charge to, you don't get paid!

Best part: Again, the people I work with,
Pros
Positive work environment, teamwork
Cons
You have to "find" projects to work on, healthcare benefits
Overall a difficult management to work with
Director, Center for Global Security (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 18, 2015
If not for management that was "good old boys", this would have been an ideal job. It is intellectually alive, fun people, well run, but very old fashioned in its values.
I was enjoyable and challenge experience.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJuly 24, 2015
I was an independent Contractor for PNNL providing maintenance of US SLD Megaport Initiative in the port of Cortes. I was enjoyable and challenge experience.
Productivity and personal growth in this company
Department of Energy SULI Internship (Former Employee) –  Richland, WashingtonJune 2, 2015
The SULI internships are great! They allow for students to become familiar with particular technology subjects, meet a variety of experts, network with peers, and learn how to perform experiments.
Pros
Company bbq in July
Cons
Low pay for a science internship
Interesting projects, great for student internships
Masters Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 21, 2015
PNNL is a great place for an internship as a student. Getting to work closely with scientists at the national laboratory provides a great opportunity to learn about a variety of technical fields. The quality of staff is great, although projects tend to move slowly.
Pros
great technical projects, good coworkers
Cons
slow moving projects
Five star rating in my book!
Senior Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 7, 2015
This is undoubtedly the best place I have ever worked! They "get it" when it comes to taking care of their employees. They understand safety, family obligations, and having a life outside of work. Hence, their employees work hard for the company and are enjoyable to be around.
Scentifically stimulating
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 14, 2014
exciting research projects
very intelligent people from diverse backgrounds/expertise
collaborative environment
Pros
flex time
Cons
post-docs cannot write grant proposals
Fun place to work
(PNNL), Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  richland washingtonOctober 1, 2014
Worked for PNNL for 24 years. Loved working there. Management was great and the benefits were wonderful. The 401K matching was great as well.
Focused on national impact
RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 28, 2014
typical work days were 8 am to 5:30-6:30 pm. I worked mostly in the laboratory. I learned a lot about organic synthesis scale up, CO2 capture research, and chemical engineering, specifically hot syngas cleanup (sulfur removal) and beginning to end biomass-to-hydrogen conversion, by hydrolysis/deconstruction of cornstover using WO3/Al2O3 to ethylene glycol (EG) and subsequent reforming of EG using Pt/Re on ZrO2 catalyst.
Pros
lots of people and minds at the lab, thus lots of different collaborations were possible
Cons
a significant amount of red tape. funding was always an issue
Good relationship
Post Master's Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJune 12, 2014
Had nice and helpful manager
Build up more working experiment
Good Place for Post Doc
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJune 2, 2014
Preparing proposal.
Writing Research reports.
Good co-work to work with.
Bad Management.
Good relocation package
Great place to gain exposure with high compensation, but at the cost of job security
College Tech Level 4 Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMarch 5, 2014
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory has had funding swings in the last few years which have severely handicapped retention of staff, which was readily apparent in my 4 years working there during high school and college. Everyone is compensated very well-the best I've seen for anyone in the college, graduate, or post-doc levels, and highly competitive for other segments of the workforce. The funding issues lead to many people only staying for a few years, and the large amount of postdocs means that people are constantly joining and leaving the workforce. That said, everyone worked hard and the workplace culture was some of the best I've seen with many opportunities to learn about visiting scientists' work when they're brought out by the lab or come to work for a short while.
Pros
best pay i've seen
Cons
low job security, workforce constantly changes
Government Laboratory
Research Scientist -Research (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 29, 2014
Government lab performing basic computer science research on parallel computing and shared-memory systems.
Cons
research scientists are required to fund their own projects by writing project proposals, however management may re-distribute funding without consent from the scientist.
Great Opportunity
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 9, 2014
Has the opportunity to work along side other departments, flex time, and able to create your own work schedule allowing for flexability around your personal life.