Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pacific Pulmonary Services Employee Reviews

Must have a heart for people and patience.Rewarding knowing you help people,but can be long hours with lots of road time.
Respiratory Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXDecember 27, 2014
Depending on your location and what district you fall under.It can be a great job or just disorganized chaos with no help.This is a large conglomerate company with centers all over the United States.I have worked at my location for 3 1/2 yrs,but i am on a border between two states and when i started i was part of a district in one state and was able to cross state lines.It was great and the management was awsome.A little over a year ago the company restructured and rolled my facility to a district in the other state and i was no longer able to cross state lines.Thats when everything changed.I got a whole new group of management and the difference was like daylight and dark.The turnover rate in this district was high for techs.No communication,No help from management and everyone stayed confused.It was a fly by the seat of your pants with no planning,which resulted in long grueling days,lots of driving,and many customer complaints.The company has been under Medicare investigation for about 2 1/2 yrs and has lost a tone of money.They have now partnered with a Chinese company and have been doing major restructuring and downsizing. They are closing down a lot of small facilities across the states.Mine included. About 2wks before Christmas,just about the same time my wife and I were closing on buying a house,I find out they are shutting me down and i will be laid of by the first of the yr. What your really there for,(helping people)is a great part of the job,and very rewarding.The pay is pretty good.The benefits are decent,but if you add family members, the amount taken out of your  more... check literally quadruples. Not much chance for advancement.  less
Productive environment , Management could be improved
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 28, 2014
Receive prescriptions from patients and input RX order into computer including all data (DOB, address, insurance information, and physician’s information). Verify medication quantity and type on printed prescription. Obtain medication and check medication for correct type and quantity and fill prescription.Once Pharmacist checks medication, receive payment from customer, cash, and credit/debit or payroll deduction and give medication to patient. Inventory medication on a monthly basis and remove expired medication. Catalog and package medication and send back to manufacture. Marketing perspective doctors office for new orders. Continual interaction with doctor offices and staff, via phone as well as patient notification for pick up and delivery. Contact patient’s with outstanding debts on a weekly basis for payment. Assist Respiratory Therapist in setting and processing Pt.s orders of Breathing Machines ( CPAP and BIPAP ) following Dr. orders per prescription, while continually maintaining records with in excel program , according to amount of orders filled , by using serial numbers, date and type of machines and settings.

Management was little to be desired , an employee could not approach them. I personally received verbally , cursing on several occasions. An impossible work load was continually put on employees. Various co workers were held to lower standard than other employees. The end of the month dead line was impossible.
Pros
on occasion free lunches, and vender give aways
Cons
bad management, various favoritism to employees
Enjoyable atmosphere with great benefits
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 24, 2015
The work of Pacific Pulmonary Services, as a warehouse technician was under supervision of a stockroom manager and the director of pharmacy. My initial duties included preparing boxes for shipment, organizing stockroom, completing work orders, shipment of medical devices, logging all shipment, organizing receiving shipment and cleaning and maintenance of equipment. As i continued on the months the company continuously grew and new responsibilities and help from other departments soon grew. My ability to multitask and create solutions were provided by opportunities to help in health and safety by updating material safety data sheets for new pharmaceuticals. I created a new system of shipment quality checking by taking pictures of all things sent out and uploaded into computer. I recruited and handled paperwork for new employees and verified work process by phone. Soon by my 2nd year of working, my title was unknown since i did many different things, so when we had a huge meeting about our new Japanese owner. My position disappeared, and we had to reorganize our job duties. But thankfully, during my time there i had developed new skills and got to be involved in many buffets and have friendships that i still maintain.
Pros
Amazing benefits with rewarding monetary bonuses, always something to do and a need to be fulfilled
Cons
During time of employment the company got bought by a Japanese corporation, and was under heavy reorganization
Pay is great compared to competition. Product and service kill you.
Patient Care Coordinator/Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Garden City, IDAugust 21, 2013
The upper management really is working hard to turn things around, but for my time there, I was fighting an uphill battle. Most doctors were happy to give me a shot because they didn't like any of the respiratory companies in the area, but the PPS call center hounded the patients to a degree that got me turned down a lot after that. The compliance issues they had in the past are gone, and they are by the book legally, but there was a push to go above and beyond what was required for documentation that angered a lot of offices. The long and short of it seemed to be that they invest well in sales people, the sales management works hard to get you to a strong place, but the back of the house will start more fires than you can put out in the name of compliance. All in all, I liked the work, although the hours are terribly long if you want any measure of success, and the operations support is very limited. I liked everyone I worked with, but I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone until after their federal investigation is over and they can get their strategies sorted out.
Pros
pay, people, training
Cons
constant changes to rules, poor communication, limited operational support.
Never a typical day
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 15, 2015
During my time at Pacific Pulmonary Services, I can say there weren't many typical days. Every day there was something different than the day before. I would check on my targeted physician offices and hospitals to see if my services could be used and according to how that particular place was operating that day, my day would be affected. I could go into a hospital and if they had a patient needing oxygen and was ready to be discharged, I would put everything on hold and that would be my first priority. If nothing was going on at my hospitals, I would go to my medical offices and check in with them. I would educate the staff on the benefits of home oxygen and the importance of testing their patients. That could lead to an order for an overnight test to qualify a patient. After my physician calls I would make my patient visits to either have them perform the overnight test or to assess how the therapy was working for them.
Pros
Being able to work directly with patients
Cons
The uncertainty of job security in a declining market
Overview of PPS
Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 26, 2012
Every morning I relieve the main receptionist for her morning break,during that time i take all incoming calls and direct them to the correct departments.Once she comes back I then go to my desk and begin my daily task.I begin with my morning emails which come from the office,doctors and our offices in other locations requesting a data report.Once all emails are answered i begin uploading all data that comes into the office from patients unit.the data data is downloaded,patients account are documented,and forwarded over to the correct representative.My next task is submitting authorizations for Cpap/ Bipap unit,which requires me to follow each individual insurance requirements,all data is faxed to the patients insurance ,patients account is documented and forwarded over to another representative. I place out office supply order if supplies are running low,and threw out the day i answer any calls that are on hold longer then 2 min.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no room for growth
Toxic and Unprofessional Work Environment
Patient Care Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMarch 7, 2013
Worst professional experience ever. Undefined assignments and constant changes benefiting which ever sales rep complains the most. Staff are unprofessional, disrespectful, and abusive toward one another. There is a lack of leadership in management. The managers overlook problems including unprofessionalism, poor treatment of coworkers, and other inappropriate behaviors causing office tension to increase. Poor customer service. I witnessed the field customer service rep on many occassions using poor phone etiquette and being rude when speaking with patients, medical/physician offices, and employees from the Lexington call center. Patient care is almost nonexistent. Sales trump quality.
Pros
patient visits; the ability to schedule your appointments; overtime
Cons
unprofessional environment; emails and phone calls 24/7; overtime
Fast paced environment
External Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque New MexicoJuly 8, 2014
• Supervision of the department’s daily operations. Responsible for job performance evaluations, coaching/appraisals.
• Development, training, engagement and retention of employees.
• Maintained rapport with internal and external customers including Medicare contractors
• Perform quality control evaluations on account documentation in compliance with Medicare and other private insurance billing rules and regulations.
• Ensure timely and consistent internal/external audit responses.
• Evaluated acceptance and denials, as well as coordinated appeals.
• Assist in the development of effective pre-audit and post audit document collection strategies.
• Work closely with revenue, customer care, and IT top optimizes use of resources and minimizes time necessary to respond to external audits
Pros
good pay
Cons
lots of restructuring and there is a lot of lay offs
National Oxygen Distrabution Company
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KyMarch 30, 2015
Accept, review and enter all faxed Oxygen Orders for a specific center.
Accept Faxes: I covered two supply centers in California for distribution of new orders for Oxygen set up and supply, as well as for CPAP, BiPAP and Nebulizer set up and supply. I would receive new prescriptions from Physicians in the area of my center.
Reviewed Faxes: I reviewed all incoming faxes for corrections needed for billing an insurance company for the equipment prescribed. I would email my center and assigned Patient Care Coordinator (PCC) with each order and the corrections that needed to be done by the ordering physicians. They would in turn get the corrected documentation from the ordering Physician or proceed to have the patient set up with the prescribed equipment.
Fun workplace but corrupt upper management
Revenue Representative (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 2, 2015
PPS seems to be going down hill in all aspects. The company prides itself in integrity but this definitely has not been demonstrated. Management hires a lot of their relatives and friends and often shows bias and favortism. Month end is always hectic management and supervisors are rude every month end. This company has no sense of privacy if you tell your supervisor or manager something in confidentiality it will definitely get out. Do not I repeat do not trust them. Only way to get to the top with this company is be a good brown noser. Work hard and you will receive more work you will not be acknowledged.
Pros
Free coffee, tea, good bond with co workers
Cons
Poor management, problems ignored, no privacy, low pay, small raises
A love hate relationship
Customer Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 10, 2013
Pacific Pulmonary gave me opportunities that I wouldn't necessarily had in other companies. They relocated me from Portland, Oregon to Lexington, Kentucky. They promoted me from within repeatedly. They paid me well. This allowed for me to buy a house, expand my family, let my wife have a job and not a career as she wanted. They also demanded a lot of time from me, I worked a lot of overtime always salaried so I never saw anything from it. I used up a lot of evening, weekend and family time. Anymore though, if you want any level of job security or ability to move up you have to sacrifice. I try to maintain a balance, Pacific Pulmonary hasn't ever made it easy. But I will always be grateful for what they've allowed me to give my family.
Great benefits and pay, but very unstable environment
Technician (Current Employee) –  North Bay, CAMarch 19, 2014
This company grew incredibly fast and then crashed. Management was very top heavy. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. Co-workers are really fun, and wonderful people, important when you constantly work overtime. Some folks were almost always on call and would be expected to cancel personal plans with no notice. If you did not comply you were given the cold shoulder by your managers. Communication throughout the company is poor and HIPAA compliance is as well. Once the FBI raided several locations in March 2012 things really started to go downhill and layoffs also started. This went from a very enjoyable place to work to one where today could be your last. It is very unfortunate.
the drive is to far for the money
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 19, 2013
I arrive at work and begin going through my e-mails and checking
my Centers for incoming orders.
The job is fairly routine and not much of a challenge. It can be difficult on days when there is a huge volumne of patient orders which must be completed by the end of the work day.
I have learned a lot about health insurance and Medicare. The hardest part of the job is being tied to the computer 8 hours a day
I'm an active person and find this hard. The worst part of the job is the distance I have to travel to get there. It's a 35 mile drive on I-75 and
when the roads are bad it's exhausting just getting to work.
Pros
there are some nice people at the compant
Cons
the drive is to far
Productive work place, always on the go, up to date service, and professional work place.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJuly 11, 2012
Pacific Pulmonary typical day is trying to finish your job with the best manner and to create the greatest environment around. I was taught to be professional and conduct my work with the utmost care. My supervisors were very helpful and courteous including: organized, up to date, and helped with suggestions to better us. The work environment was peaceful, all co workers were immediate and blunt at only a professional level. Hardest part was the overtime, we would be on call and wouldn't know what would happen. I enjoyed the people I worked with and how we kept business is business.
Pros
experience
Cons
no complaints!!!
Competative and professional workplace with fun people.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CaOctober 12, 2015
Work days are set hours unless overtime was needed. Co-workers are pleasant and helpful. I learned to do front end billing, worked to maintain medical equipment cleanliness and provide patients with specific products. The work changed very frequently as did management. I enjoyed making friends with the workers as well as some patients. By far the hardest part was learning that a patient had past away, all a part of life but still very difficult.
Pros
Friendly, Holidays off, compitions to encourage team work
Cons
Staff and work changed too frequently, at the time not many people felt their jobs were stable.
Awesome co-workers makes work fun
Customer Care Representative III (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 18, 2012
I take and make calls to patients, doctors and insurance companies regarding reauthorizing the services and equipment provided. Interacting with other co-workers to obtain the proper documentation needed by Medicare and private insurance companies is a major job responsibility. When I started with this company I knew nothing regarding Medicare or private insurers but now I am the subject matter expert and a mentor not only to my peers but also to management. I also wrote the standard operating procedures for a function within my department.
Pros
great co-workers, off on weekends
Cons
no advancemet opportunities
Rewarding work helping customers.
Respiratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 4, 2015
Well run company. Typical day involved pulling necessary stock for daily orders and stocking delivery truck, delivering product to customers and training them how to use it. Picking up equipment that other customers were done with and taking back to base to be refilled and/or cleaned. Customers were almost always grateful for the service. Co workers were great. The only down-side is the on-call nights when you can be woken up or pulled away from your family at any time. Usually wasn't overly frequent. Overall a rewarding place to work.
Pros
Good management, Great Co-Workers
Cons
On Call Nights, Not fantastic pay
Consistently provided superior patient care, fun co-workers, local office
Respiratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 5, 2016
Every day a PPS Technician arrives at 8:00 AM, Monday thru Friday, determines which patients need deliveries that day and plans his route accordingly and leaves on route by 9:00 AM.
Technicians provide home oxygen, oxygen tanks, CPAP, BIPAP and Nebulizer therapy, as well as instruction and supplies.
When the route is complete, the Technician returns to the center, maintains a neat, organized warehouse, maintains inventory and handles patient calls.
The most enjoyable part of this job is patient care and problem solving.
The hardest part is being on call 24 / 7.
drive daily, warehouse maintenance, internal/external audits
Warehouse Lead / Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 9, 2015
normal work hours 8-5. Daily inspection of warehouse area.(i.e) cleanliness, safety. inventory control, sterilize inbound equipment. order/replenish low inventory. Load/unload delivery van daily. print delivery tickets. provide customers with daily deliveries of needed medical supplies. Schedule monthly maintenance/service for work van. Plan and schedule daily route, learn to work on your own, and with a team of co-workers. Also manage on call hours and weekend on call hours.
Pros
some flexibilty, vacation, health ins. 401k
Cons
on call required. including weekends
PPS won't let you put the patient first. If you don't want to lie to people this job isn't for you.
Patient Care Coordinator - (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJune 12, 2012
Pacific Pulmonary Services has a knack for getting rid of people when they are about to bonus. They value long term employees as long as you are willing to constantly contradict yourself and look stupid to your patients and physicians. Working for PPS is like selling your soul. I agree that this company is a sinking ship. Did you know Flagstaff's office isn't even staffed? CSR is in Bakersfield or Lexington. Drivers only. Have fun with the paperwork! hahaha
Pros
$$$
Cons
jerks. lies. not helpful when managements only experience is a beer route!