PacifiCorp

PacifiCorp United States Employee Reviews

No future here.
Engineer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2015
Little organization. Very loose. Unless you are EXCEPTIONAL, hold your breath. They think they are the "cream of the crop". Some VERY smart individuals.
Fast-paced, multi-faceted work demands.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 18, 2015
I managed a high-volume workload within a time sensitive environment. Demanding but overall avery good learning experience.
Good Work enviroment
Welder (Former Employee), Point of Rocks WyomingFebruary 11, 2015
Cons: unexpected death at site
Good Work environment, only one boss gave me trouble and was unprofessional. unforeseen secomstances lead to forced resignation.
Customer Account Associate
Customer Account Associate (Former Employee), Portland, OregonJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: project management opportunities, excellent compensation
Cons: heavy phone usage, loud call center environment
I enjoyed working on special projects. I was a project lead in developing internal software in a team which included software engineers and developers. I trained and mentored employees on company software, policies and procedures in a classroom environment. The hardest part of my job was when the projects were completed you would go back to a call center type of environment taking heavy calls. At times the calls would be back to back if there was a power outage in any of the six states we serviced. Room for advancement was limited as they always needed more employees on the phones. I learned how to manage accounts, negotiate a payment plan, submit work request, and leadership skills when I mentored new employees.
Very professional.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 29, 2014
I very much enjoyed my 6+ years working at Pacificorp. It is a very well run company. I appreciate knowing what is expected of you. If you are able to give what is expected you will have a great career there. Unfortunately I had to relocate which ended my time with them.
Great place to work, great managers!
Outage Coordinator (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: great education.
Cons: no scheduled breaks or lunches, 12 hour rotating shifts.
I learned a lot about the electric utility. The job was sometimes very fast paced and you had to "think on your feet". I worked closely with the dispatchers during outages. I would call out crews for them and get information regarding the outage to keep the media and contact center updated.

The hardest part of the job for me was the 12 hour rotating shifts. I found the older I got the more it affected my body clock.

I had a great work experience there and hated to leave. I had to take an early retirement due to a surgery that took much longer to recover from than it should have.
Good work/life balance
System Grid Operator (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 18, 2014
Good work/life balance and good compensation and benefits
Review of PacifCorp
Meter Engineer (Current Employee), Portland, ORJuly 21, 2014
Pros: good communication, attention to detaill, work/life balance
Cons: silo departmental structure
The few remaining experienced managers and engineers are retiring and the younger generation are backfilling the positions. Most of the staff is made up of extremely talented personal who are professional I their own craft.

Engineering and management are well balance, so future project can be completed in less time.
Professional as well as fun workplace.
Customer/Region Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2014
Pros: excellent opportunity to complete my educational goals with funding courses in my field.
Cons: i truly don't know of any negative experiences that i encountered at pacificorp.
PacifiCorp was an excellent employer. When I started working there, it was a small office environment, with lots of friendships with co-workers.which was the most enjoyable part of growing professionally. As I progressed and the company grew bigger, and wider in customer-base, I expanded my horizons to enter management. It was a competitive company with other utility companies in the region. I am thankful that this company encouraged me to grow professionally and helped instill in me community values, and excellent customer service practices.
Challenging and interesting work every day.
Journeyman Communications Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2014
I maintained several different types of communication equipment in a call center environment as an electronic technician.
Everything I expected for a short term contract position
Field CM/inspector (Former Employee), WA, ORNovember 24, 2013
Pros: they did not try to make money off of my money
Cons: was estimated at only a one year contract
Great people, great pay, no issues. everything went as expected based on interview. I would work for them again if I am in the job market and they call.
I have enjoyed the challanges and rewards of working with some great people for a large power production facility.
Journeyman Power Plant Mechanic (Current Employee), Glenrock, WYNovember 23, 2013
Pros: occasional bar-b-que lunches with co-workers, and training seminars
Cons: warren buffet acquisition, and my wife moving to minnesota
I have a great mechanical ability, with safety awareness a priority, in all aspects of power plant systems. We diagnose, and repair any of the typical problems that arise in power production. We then set up a tag-out and safety tail-board with operations personnel. Communication and discussion is imperative to smooth working relationships.
PacifiCorp has a history of providing us with modern equipment to help our repairs, as well as health and welfare systems above and beyond. I was an industrial EMT, fire brigade member, rope rescue team leader, hazmat technician and safety team member. We had overwhelming interest in these aspects of safety, which shows a willingness to help each other.
Directing personnel has become a part of my job, having spent much of my last 6 years filling in for my front line supervisor. That requires a basic use of SAP, our work based computer system.
Horrible management
Relay Technician (Current Employee), OregonOctober 24, 2013
Pros: it is a job
Cons: to many to list
Since Warren Buffet purchased the company everything has gone down hill. Poor insurance, retirement taken and replaced with substandard 401K, discipline policy is out of hand. Pacificorp is the only utility that intentionally hires unqualified management with no utility experience. We used to only promote qualified journeyman to management now we hire yes men with no experience. This company is a joke compared to what it used to be
hostile work environment Management Incompetence
Relay Technician (Former Employee), Midvale, utahOctober 23, 2013
Pros: good ojt, engineering support
Cons: managers are company yes men, marionettes, no employee consultation when management makes stupid decisions
This company has steadfastly engaged in creating a hostile work environment for its skilled high value employees with ill conceived and ill advised harassment and punitive decrees, edicts and policies!

Further they take a perverse delight in destroying a work location by foisting unskilled, not properly vetted , overweight, exceeding safe ratings of ladders, are physically unable to enter into tight work spaces behind control panels,highly unsavory/ unhygienic employees down the throats of their top technicians which leads to multiple consequences:
1. The High value employee/Technician quits the company in utter disgust and:
2. Other remaining highly trained Senior technicians are forced to relocate elsewhere within the company!
Result: the quality of the workplace suffers, the morale of the remaining employees suffers, the reliability of the power system is adversely affected and compromised!

November 28, 2013

Every time the winds blow, the snow falls they have massive power outages with their antiquated, unreliable 100 year old overhead residential power distribution system instead doing what is the norm in civilized european Countries: BURY THE LINES UNDERGROUND! They as a company and management are more concerned with being good cow-towing subjects to an ever increasing and tyrannical federal government and "being in compliance with WECC, NERC, FERC" punitive regulations than concentrating on their customers and telling the government where it can stick it!

Best Employer I have had.
Manager, HR, Training and Quality Programs. (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 18, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing.
Loved everything about working for PacifiCorp. Great employer, great pay, great management, great staff. I would recommend them to anyone looking for employment.
OK Place to work
Unknown (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2013
Have lost many perks and benefits the last few years making it a less desirable place to work
Exellent paying company to work for.
Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee), Glenrock, WYAugust 21, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime available
Cons: dirty environment
A good company to work for and gain a lot of experience on all types of equipment.
Disorganized
Administrative Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 17, 2013
Pros: free public transportation pass
Cons: healthcare, unqualified management, no room to advance
My work day begins at 6:30AM. I have prioritized my tasks beginning with what needs to be done that day. I have time set aside to complete applications, answer email and telephone calls, work on special projects, and writing process documents that provide detailed information about my job duties. I have learned a great deal about being an administrative coordinator, and would like to advance my knowledge.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with both internal and external customers. The hardest part of this job is that the department is completely disorganized. There is more time spent in meetings with a manager discussing the massive backlog of work rather than creating the solution to complete it. There are solutions that employees are not allowed to implement without management approval.
Turning into Dilbert's archetypical "large corporation."
Exempt position (management) (Current Employee), Castle Dale, UTAugust 15, 2013
Pros: i get to live in a very small town! 35 miles to wal-mart!
Cons: unpaid overtime policy for exempt personnel
Secure position. Good, positive interaction with tradespeople and contractors.

Management has begun to distance themselves from the "human element" of those that they manage (this happens all the way up the food chain and seems to be a new, unspoken corporate policy.

Best part of the job is the satisfaction of creating electricity (Christmas lights in my neighborhood and ice cubes in August. WOW!).

Worst part of the job is the deterioration of management techniques that seems to be a direct result of corporate policies (and the attorneys who are now at the top of the ladder).
Mixed Bag
Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 26, 2013
Job security, being a utility and all, but mixed bag re: culture and treatment of employees....

PacifiCorp Salaries