PacifiCorp

PacifiCorp Employer Reviews

Great place to work, great managers!
Outage Coordinator (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: great education.
Cons: no scheduled breaks or lunches, 12 hour rotating shifts.
I learned a lot about the electric utility. The job was sometimes very fast paced and you had to "think on your feet". I worked closely with the dispatchers during outages. I would call out crews for them and get information regarding the outage to keep the media and contact center updated.

The hardest part of the job for me was the 12 hour rotating – more... shifts. I found the older I got the more it affected my body clock.

I had a great work experience there and hated to leave. I had to take an early retirement due to a surgery that took much longer to recover from than it should have. – less
Good work/life balance
System Grid Operator (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 18, 2014
Good work/life balance and good compensation and benefits
Review of PacifCorp
Meter Engineer (Current Employee), Portland, ORJuly 21, 2014
Pros: good communication, attention to detaill, work/life balance
Cons: silo departmental structure
The few remaining experienced managers and engineers are retiring and the younger generation are backfilling the positions. Most of the staff is made up of extremely talented personal who are professional I their own craft.

Engineering and management are well balance, so future project can be completed in less time.
Professional as well as fun workplace.
Customer/Region Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2014
Pros: excellent opportunity to complete my educational goals with funding courses in my field.
Cons: i truly don't know of any negative experiences that i encountered at pacificorp.
PacifiCorp was an excellent employer. When I started working there, it was a small office environment, with lots of friendships with co-workers.which was the most enjoyable part of growing professionally. As I progressed and the company grew bigger, and wider in customer-base, I expanded my horizons to enter management. It was a competitive company – more... with other utility companies in the region. I am thankful that this company encouraged me to grow professionally and helped instill in me community values, and excellent customer service practices. – less
Challenging and interesting work every day.
Journeyman Communications Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2014
I maintained several different types of communication equipment in a call center environment as an electronic technician.
Everything I expected for a short term contract position
Field CM/inspector (Former Employee), WA, ORNovember 24, 2013
Pros: they did not try to make money off of my money
Cons: was estimated at only a one year contract
Great people, great pay, no issues. everything went as expected based on interview. I would work for them again if I am in the job market and they call.
I have enjoyed the challanges and rewards of working with some great people for a large power production facility.
Journeyman Power Plant Mechanic (Current Employee), Glenrock, WYNovember 23, 2013
Pros: occasional bar-b-que lunches with co-workers, and training seminars
Cons: warren buffet acquisition, and my wife moving to minnesota
I have a great mechanical ability, with safety awareness a priority, in all aspects of power plant systems. We diagnose, and repair any of the typical problems that arise in power production. We then set up a tag-out and safety tail-board with operations personnel. Communication and discussion is imperative to smooth working relationships.
PacifiCorp – more... has a history of providing us with modern equipment to help our repairs, as well as health and welfare systems above and beyond. I was an industrial EMT, fire brigade member, rope rescue team leader, hazmat technician and safety team member. We had overwhelming interest in these aspects of safety, which shows a willingness to help each other.
Directing personnel has become a part of my job, having spent much of my last 6 years filling in for my front line supervisor. That requires a basic use of SAP, our work based computer system. – less
Horrible management
Relay Technician (Current Employee), OregonOctober 24, 2013
Pros: it is a job
Cons: to many to list
Since Warren Buffet purchased the company everything has gone down hill. Poor insurance, retirement taken and replaced with substandard 401K, discipline policy is out of hand. Pacificorp is the only utility that intentionally hires unqualified management with no utility experience. We used to only promote qualified journeyman to management now we hire – more... yes men with no experience. This company is a joke compared to what it used to be – less
hostile work environment Management Incompetence
Relay Technician (Former Employee), Midvale, utahOctober 23, 2013
Pros: good ojt, engineering support
Cons: managers are company yes men, marionettes, no employee consultation when management makes stupid decisions
This company has steadfastly engaged in creating a hostile work environment for its skilled high value employees with ill conceived and ill advised harassment and punitive decrees, edicts and policies!

Further they take a perverse delight in destroying a work location by foisting unskilled, not properly vetted , overweight, exceeding safe ratings of – more... ladders, are physically unable to enter into tight work spaces behind control panels,highly unsavory/ unhygienic employees down the throats of their top technicians which leads to multiple consequences:
1. The High value employee/Technician quits the company in utter disgust and:
2. Other remaining highly trained Senior technicians are forced to relocate elsewhere within the company!
Result: the quality of the workplace suffers, the morale of the remaining employees suffers, the reliability of the power system is adversely affected and compromised! – less

November 28, 2013

Every time the winds blow, the snow falls they have massive power outages with their antiquated, unreliable 100 year old overhead residential power distribution system instead doing what is the norm in civilized european Countries: BURY THE LINES UNDERGROUND! They as a company and management are more concerned with being good cow-towing subjects to an ever increasing and tyrannical federal government and "being in compliance with WECC, NERC, FERC" punitive regulations than concentrating on their customers and telling the government where it can stick it!

Best Employer I have had.
Manager, HR, Training and Quality Programs. (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 18, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing.
Loved everything about working for PacifiCorp. Great employer, great pay, great management, great staff. I would recommend them to anyone looking for employment.
OK Place to work
Unknown (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2013
Have lost many perks and benefits the last few years making it a less desirable place to work
Exellent paying company to work for.
Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee), Glenrock, WYAugust 21, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime available
Cons: dirty environment
A good company to work for and gain a lot of experience on all types of equipment.
Disorganized
Administrative Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 17, 2013
Pros: free public transportation pass
Cons: healthcare, unqualified management, no room to advance
My work day begins at 6:30AM. I have prioritized my tasks beginning with what needs to be done that day. I have time set aside to complete applications, answer email and telephone calls, work on special projects, and writing process documents that provide detailed information about my job duties. I have learned a great deal about being an administrative – more... coordinator, and would like to advance my knowledge.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with both internal and external customers. The hardest part of this job is that the department is completely disorganized. There is more time spent in meetings with a manager discussing the massive backlog of work rather than creating the solution to complete it. There are solutions that employees are not allowed to implement without management approval. – less
Turning into Dilbert's archetypical "large corporation."
Exempt position (management) (Current Employee), Castle Dale, UTAugust 15, 2013
Pros: i get to live in a very small town! 35 miles to wal-mart!
Cons: unpaid overtime policy for exempt personnel
Secure position. Good, positive interaction with tradespeople and contractors.

Management has begun to distance themselves from the "human element" of those that they manage (this happens all the way up the food chain and seems to be a new, unspoken corporate policy.

Best part of the job is the satisfaction of creating electricity (Christmas lights – more... in my neighborhood and ice cubes in August. WOW!).

Worst part of the job is the deterioration of management techniques that seems to be a direct result of corporate policies (and the attorneys who are now at the top of the ladder). – less
Mixed Bag
Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 26, 2013
Job security, being a utility and all, but mixed bag re: culture and treatment of employees....
Productive and organize to work with and very family oriented.
Bench Strength Inspector (Former Employee), Portland, ORJune 25, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the work is very challenging.
Large Public Utility, great employees
Material Scheduler/consultant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 17, 2013
Pros: safe workers that care for each other.
Cons: the best employees may not be upper managers.
Solid company with excellent employees, and safety first foundation.
A day at PacifiCorp Procurement
Manager Business Controls and Reporting (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 15, 2013
Pros: good benefit package
Cons: the work environment was not team oriented.
A typical day of work at PacifiCorp was tedious and draining. I was responsible for 75% of the performance reports that went to executive management each month.

I learned how to work with large volumes of data and interpret that data into Microsoft Excel reports, many that were ad hoc and complicated.

My manager was intellegent and my co-workers were – more... extremely easy to work with. I enjoyed my time learning the procurement business.

Hardest part of the job was the constant pressure to produce more.

Most enjoyable part of the job was developing new reports, documentation and learning SAP. – less
Enjoyable working atmosphere, professional quality and high caliber employees and work.
Project Controls Analyst, Senior Lead (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 25, 2013
Pros: relaxed clothing requirements, free coffee and tea.
Cons: unexpected restrictions when using healthcare programs
* A typical day at work involved multiple management status meetings, with or without contractors and subcontractors; continuous updating and analysis of project schedule status, including maintaining a Master Schedule incorporating all information provided from all sources; development of scheduling models for new projects.
* I learned how transmission – more... lines and substations really work, how to identify potential issues within procurement (long lead items), weather, muliple local, state and federal agency requirements when planning large power projects.
* Management was fair and reasonableand high expections for quality of work and caliber of employees.
* Co-workers were dependable, knowledgeable, from multiple industry backgrounds, worked as a team, always looking for new means, methods and processes to streamline projects.
* The hardest part of the job was the subdivision of duties to multiple positions that would normally be performed by one position, creating duplicative work for more than one person and difficulty getting exact same information from one source, to multiple sources.
* The most enjoyable part of the job was learning a new industry, developing new models and processes to streamline and maintain continuity between project types. – less
high call volume call center
Customer Service (Former Employee), west valley utahMarch 15, 2013
Pros: exceptional pay
Cons: location
was a fun place to work until they changed it to a collections call center