PACKAGING CORPORATION OF AMERICA

PACKAGING CORPORATION OF AMERICA Employee Reviews

This should be the last place you work.
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAMay 13, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: Everything else (Especially management)
Typical day at work is getting to make a terrible machine run fast enough to please management. Adding tape to machine constantly to try and fix them. Non of the management know anything about the machine and don't understand any problems you are facing while running.
fun and very productive
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 11, 2015
Pros: Fun fast paced work flow
Cons: One twenty minute lunch break for the work day
Learned how to be a part of an assembly team. Very fast paced work flow. Manager and supervisors were very patient with training. It did take a few days to get the hang of it but was good once I got the rhythm.
Worthess
Executive Accountant (Current Employee), Phoenix AzMay 9, 2015
Worthless company with a boss who does not want to be there. Everyone wants to leave. It is in Phoenix AZ. Working for them is miserable. The general manager is never there, month end close is stressful and the boss gives you a packet the first day and expects you to know everything. There is NO TRAINING.
Other than not getting to see my family not too bad of a place to work for.
Machine Operator/Helper/Shipping/Forklift/Assembly (Current Employee), Edmore, MIMay 5, 2015
Pros: Set schedule, great pay and benefits
Cons: I am stuck on wrong shift
It's nice to know when you are working, which days you get off. Great benefits and pay. Set hours so you don't get confusion on when you are to be there. For the most part the co-workers are easy to get along with. Management still needs a little work. Still quite a bit of shift rivalry. I don't like the fact that there is little opportunity to move to different shift or position, but I guess it is a good thing that they don't go through several employees. Basically this job is long term once you get in.
Good place to work-
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAApril 22, 2015
Great hourly employees but management will lie to your face:
Example: Moved to Florida from Virginia expecting job with PCA at one of their local plants and was not brought on. However, I really enjoy working on the flat die-cutters and working in a manufacturing environment.
good wokplace
Shipping and receiving (Current Employee), Hamilton, OHApril 2, 2015
Fast pace hourly lots of overtime ,paid lunch, few employees, company buys lunch on Fridays and breakfast on Saturday. Bonus and company parties, company outings, Reds games, Diners etc
A manufacturing facility trying to recover from poor decisions made in prior years and the turnaround was going to cost more than just capital
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GeoargiaMarch 19, 2015
The Atlanta Plant had struggled for many years with quality and customer retention. There was no real desire to gain local account business due to the high volume of National Account Business the plant was converting. There was a very real "hump" to get past when selling PCA products; They were limited in the paper combinations the corrugator could produce, greatly narrowing the local customer you could approach and service their particular needs. Good people but a severe lack of discipline and accountability.
Hard work but rewarding, gets into a routine
Laborer (Former Employee), Chelmsford, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: once a month had a free big lunch like pizza or subs
Cons: was loud environment and needed ear plugs
Typical day at work was 630-330 with two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute break for lunch. The work was much of the same every day with small variations of order sizes and bundle counts. I learned how to set up of 2 machines, the general gluer and the slitter and those were the primary stations that I worked at but could also help out stacking for the larger machines when needed. I also learned to worked the strapper and conveyer line that strapped all the boxes to a pallet to get picked up by forklift for delivery to trucks. Management was always around and very helpful if I ever had questions and my coworkers were hard workers with good senses of humor and made the days go by more quickly. The hardest part of the job was having to stack boxes that were very large and made it more difficult. I most enjoyed working the strapper.
Great Corporation
Accountings Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
Great corporation to work for, amazing benefits, yearly raises.
Managers are sometimes not the most helpful. Flexible.
Great holiday parties and picnics
Top Packaging Company
Account Manager/Sales Support (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2015
Revolving management doors. Poor work/Life balance. Typical corporate environment. Certain locations more stable than others. poor compensation for what is required. Difficult to move up, although lateral opportunities exist.
Excellent pay and benefits
Operator Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 19, 2015
I was able to show my skills and earn a good paycheck.
Cool people to work with - Good benefits.
Very busy workplace.
Slitter Scorer Cut Off Operator (Former Employee), Winter Haven FLJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day at work was work hard and safety first.
I have learned to be a hard worker and a safe worker and following instructions. Management was very straight foward and to the point for the task given daily. The hardest part of the job was making sure small and difficult orders where done correctly and on time. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we broke production records and got everything done on time.
Fantastic Professional Cultured Working Environment
Corrugate machinist (Former Employee), Goldsboro, North Carolina 27530January 10, 2015
Pros: a professional atmosphere.
Typical work day: formation inspection with briefings and de-briefings.

I learned that employee ideas have value.

Management provided support when requested.

Co-workers operated as one.

Machine start-up.

Completing an order with a yield 98%.
Great Place to work!
Summer Staff (Former Employee), Manistee, MINovember 25, 2014
Pros: good pay, friendly staff, incredible benefits, understanding of personal life occurances
Cons: very hot work environment
A typical day at work was painting and cleaning around areas that most people did not have time to maintain. until a more involved jo came about to be placed on, for example cleaning soda ash iritant from a large silo when it became plugged. I learned alot about chemicals, How dangerous they are; but also how much they can be used to create products for the company. The Co-Workers were all very friendly and any criticism given was productive and for learning purposes. The hardest part of the job was cleaning "sludge" from a catipillar front end loader with a power washer, not the actual physical activity but the smell was so pungent that we were required to wear a canister style resperator. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that everyone there was friendly and wanted to see you succed in whatever job was assigned.
Company on cruise control- no support
Sales Rep (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 30, 2014
Pros: company car and flexible schedule
Cons: lack of support
My typical work day included cold calling on a daily basis generating opportunities. This was my favorite part of my job, meeting new people and creating new opportunities. However, management was not supportive could not turnaround quotes in a timely manner thus loosing opportunities. The hardest part of my job was the lack of support. My only saving grace was the support from coworkers and brainstorming sessions we would have on a regular basis. The most enjoyable part of my job was the balance I could have between work and family.
Great job, but stressful management
Senior Display Designer (Current Employee), Fairfield, OHOctober 20, 2014
Pros: good bennefits, flexibility with schedule
Cons: stressful timelines, micromanagement
This company is huge and offers a lot to anyone looking to have a secure job for a long time. It does come with the pressures from up top. Make sure you have a good attention to detail.
Productive growing buisness
Press/Finishing Operator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 17, 2014
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: 10 minute break incriments
Check list of orders and plan what order to run. Start setup through computer program then select correct cutting die and stripper for each order. Start set up on machine according to customer needs. run as efficiently as possible. Once that order is ran, start disassemble of machine and prep for the next order. repeat until shift is over. Then clean up area and go home.

You learn new machines and work with other employees.

Management is not that great to work with, they only care about production and could care less about anything else. Some managers like to get everyone in trouble and some managers let anyone get away with anything.

Co-workers are pretty good to work with. the company is seniority based by years worked. And pay is based on machine seniority. This makes working unfair because veteran employees can be paid less then new hires based on which machine you bid on. It also causes a "dog, eat dog" kind of atmosphere. Employees also use this to try to get anyone above them in trouble just to get their position.

Best part of the job is the pay.
Easy work, friendly safe environment
Stacker (Former Employee), Salem, OROctober 16, 2014
Laid back management, available overtime, steady pace work, 20 min. breaks
Great employment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Valdosta, GAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: union
Cons: management
Good benefits and union workforce. Unstable management. Retirement good. All because of union workforce
Fast place work environment
Operator (Current Employee), Ashland, OHAugust 13, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks, and lack of personal life
Fast place work environment. I currently work in production. I have learned communication and team work will create great success.

1 2 3 4

About PACKAGING CORPORATION OF AMERICA

It pays to know how to box.¬†Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) -- the fifth largest in the US -- produces¬†2-plus¬†million tons – Read more

PACKAGING CORPORATION OF AMERICA Salaries

Machine Operator
$30,000 per year

PACKAGING CORPORATION OF AMERICA Photos

Checking and reporting needed stocks/products by scanning item barcodes
Replenishment and inventory control