Packaging Corporation of America Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work if you are a YES man
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAJuly 12, 2016
As upper management changed, things changed. Expectations of employees are high with little resource at some locations.
Required certifications are just for show. One person lives it and it looks good on paper.
Pros
Still looking
Cons
Pay scale based on volume of facility, but same expectations throughout.
Would never work for them again
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 27, 2016
Job was not as promised Much favoritism among employees Training was not as promised. Was reprimanded to doing company work. ( I was doing online training and the Controller reprimanded me and told me I should have come to her for more work if I had "spare time" Online training classes were part of my yearly goals). Some mistakes were made by myself in training and was severely reprimanded for them, and the same mistakes were made by the controller and nothing was done. Same mistakes I made were made by other co workers and nothing was said.
average
Machinist/ Union Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 25, 2016
average, good benefits, descent pay, not much room for growth into upper management. small group of people at the particular location. machines could use upgrade.
great place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Fridley, MNMay 4, 2016
enjoy producing a product that is used every where
great co-workers and supervisiors
good location
great hours overtime possible
Challenging and informative pllace to work
Environmental Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Counce, TNMarch 21, 2016
Worked alone and with others to accomplish a common set of goals set forth by the EPA, State of TN and PCA. Daily and weekly goals were set and accomplished.
very good
TRANSPORTATION ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILFebruary 29, 2016
my opinion of PCA.. loved working with the carriers that I had, plus the people in the office. Was in charge of two plants. Did not work long in this position, but enjoyed my time
good
I like working there
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I had good co-workers,management let us figure out how to solve problems when they happen,I enjoy working with outside vendors with their cash sales
Pros
the pay
Cons
no over time
A very busy company. Many areas to watch over as Quality Assurance manager
Quality Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 10, 2016
A large plant with many areas to oversee. As Quality Assurance manager I had the opportunity to roll my sleeves up and work hard. The production personnel are superb individuals that take great pride in their work.
Pros
Always busy making the day and work fulfilling.
Cons
Quite a few demands made with few people to assist in the Quality Lab.
Great workplace.
1st shift (Former Employee) –  Miami Gardens, FLJanuary 25, 2016
Though a very tough job, it has a lot of benefits, met great people who helped a fellow coworker to move up. Management is a little mixed up and could use some new staff. Otherwise a great workplace.
Productive, educational, and great department
IT Systems Engineer I - Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Counce, TNDecember 3, 2015
The members of the IT department and PCA work together so well. The manager and employees are hard working and caring. Always willing to help. Constantly having new projects and upping the learning curb. Great work family!
Temporary Employee
Accounting temp (Current Employee) –  DFW, TXNovember 13, 2015
Helped out while one employee was on maternity leave, also handled AR and AP for another location. When the employee came back to work, another location had an employee that just had a baby, so I started working at their plant 3 days a week while she is on leave. This company is unlike any place I've ever worked before. Very quiet, calm, relaxed atmosphere. There doesn't seem to be any animosity between the employees and that is one reason so many of them have been here a really long time. 8 to 35 years. Everyone is really nice.

A typical day is doing collections calls, entering account payable, covering the front desk for receptionist. Whatever is needed.

Very enjoyable place to spend 40 hours a week.
Pros
Nice Pleasant Atmosphere
Cons
There isn't a permanent position :(
Golden Rule Culture
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2015
Be safe, grow the business, have fun, and make money. If you expect it, inspect it; if you accept it, you promote it. The most enjoyable part of the job is to gather the efforts of many and celebrate successes, no matter how small.
Productive workplace that'll keep you on your feet daylong
Machine Operator/Stacker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2015
I enjoyed working at PCA and gained a lot of knowledge on the production of cardboard while I was there. The only thing that can use a little more improvement is the management and how they schedule hours when they are shorthanded. Sometimes it takes them forever to hire someone that by the time they hire the proper amount of people, another person quits, leaving you exactly in the same position where you were before with a schedule that rotates and isn't always set. Other than that, great place that'll keep you on your toes and somewhat fit!
Upsetting take over
Operations / Hardware Technician (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 24, 2015
PCA bought Boise Inc and many people have been let go. It seems some of their business ways are done like a small company. It's time to move on.
Great place to work.
Plant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 18, 2015
Very employee oriented. Bonuses offered to all levels. Challenging work load. Friendly coworkers. Great advancement opportunities.
Pros
Employee benefits
Very Productive
Operator (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKSeptember 17, 2015
I was a machine operator, and i worked on a medium sized machine throwing and gluing boxes. i had hardworking co-workers who got the job done. The hardest part of the job was just getting the amount done on time.
Not pleased
Lab Pulp Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wallula, WASeptember 15, 2015
This company was dishonest with me. They hired me as a salaried employee. When it was brought to their attention that I should have been hourly they eliminated my position. I believe this company is in financial problems and are unethical with their non-union employee's. Lower management worked hard at trying to perform with very high standards and no financial means to follow these standards. I saw a lot of equipment that was neglected due to the unwillingness to cut production, and lives that were being endangered due to lack of modernization.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
Upper management dishonest
People Oriented/Focused for the most part
Controller (Current Employee) –  Middletown, Ohio plantSeptember 9, 2015
Participated in Sarbanes Oxley
Peers are very a good group of people
Learned a big corporation is more structured, less flexible with reporting, changing and customizing reporting.
Overall a good company to work for
Pros
Corporate functions/training - fed well - good lodging
Cons
Company moves slow with decisions - and like small companies, politics
Productive and Supportive work environment
Temporary Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GASeptember 3, 2015
Everyone was so nice and helped me fit right in, even though I was only a temp. I did their collections, which isn't a job for every one. However it was enjoyable there, the clients and coworkers helped a lot.
Very Productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clyattville, GAAugust 10, 2015
Different environment working at a Paper Mill. Enjoyable job, to see the process of paper making from beginning to end and all the aspects that come with it.

Packaging Corporation of America Reviews by Location