PacSun Employee Reviews

Highly demanding with focus on growth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 30, 2015
PacSun is a high demand company with little support. A typical work week would allow for 180 hours. Talking to management from comparable companies like foreign exchange would come close to double that.

The CEO has great drive and vision for PacSun and is relying heavily on brand names and getting ahead of the trend. Which is awesome for the customer, but it hurts the sales team. With money being funded into the customer and marketing, cuts need to be made in other areas, specific, employees. As a PacSun manager, I was compensated well above average of other retailers. My team, however, received minimum wage. I understand entry level retail jobs should be awarded to those just entering the workforce, but several top sales associates who had been with the company for 2+ years only received a raise because of increase in minimum wage.

Upper management is good and has a good vision, but could often times steam roll ideas and belittle decisions you make. The good thing is they would come with ideas that are positive and would help solve the issue. Any corporate visits, unless everything was perfect, even after a long day and having partial coverage, would tear you apart. And if they didn't say much, you would surly hear about it later.

Overall, the company is going in a good direction, but you will more than likely be more hands on and responsible for numbers than any other company you have been with before.
Pros
good discount, drive for success
Cons
not anywhere enough hours for support on and off the floor, pressure like you have never felt before
Fun workplace and treated well
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 25, 2015
Typical day involved opening and closing registers, cleaning the store, running daily operational activities that went from marketing updates to merchandising moves, to redlining merchandise, and processing shipment.

Pacsun gives you the tools to run an effective business, you are very aware of not only your numbers volume wise, but metric wise as well. These metrics pertain to average dollar per sale and number of units sold per transaction. These metrics allow you to maximize sales and understand how these numbers can affect your business.

Hardest part of the job is in regards to floorset and updates. There is a lack of communication for the corporate offices to the store which makes certain tasks even more difficult to complete. Not all the product is there when these operational tasks are set to be done and also corporate does not always state clearly as to what and how things have to be completed. Timely decision making must be used in order to complete tasks, and it at times can become very frustrating and stressful.

Best part of the job are the people I worked with and running a truly successful business. Watching your store increase over last years numbers and seeing the smiles of associates and customers alike coming in and out of the store make the days go by quickly.
Pros
full benefits, paid vacay, great staff
Cons
short breaks, (they tell you to break but can't always do so due to 1 part coverage), poor communication from corporate offices
Love the people, but the job gets boring...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 10, 2012
I started working about a month and half ago, and I'll say I was very excited to get the job. I got hired with no previous experience, and I'm able to work with really fun, outgoing people and some are even friends from school! The job is overall easy, but does require patience and lots of effort. If your new to folding, be prepared to fold LOTS of shirts and sweaters over and over! The whole job overall does require TONS of folding! Jeans, shirts, sweaters, etc. Everyone is so chill there and doesn't care if your a little bit late, or have to leave early. After a couple of times of overnight shippment, I'm really starting to despise it. It's constant censoring, folding, organizing, and there's always a billion boxes that need to be opened and completed by the end of the night. I don't like staying until 3-6 in the morning just to do this task. It throws off my sleep schedule and I have a jet lag the next day. The managers change like every few months and most of them are very unorganized and leave everything to be done last minute. It took them about a month to pay me... Overall, I like working there because of the people and pay but it does get boring sometimes and hectic , especially when theres only 2 people working and like 50 people inside the store.
Pros
50% off discount, pay, and people
Cons
short breaks, overnight shipment long hours, unclean
A workplace that has a Californian Vibe, which is competitive yet rewarding.
Senior Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek OhioApril 6, 2015
My position at Pacsun has taught me a lot. I am grateful for what I have achieved at this company, although it is time for me to move forward. A typical day of work would include me walking into the store, and being prepared to undertake an accelerating or under-preforming day of sales. Therefore as a manager it was essential to communicate with the other managers, and acquire a game plan to increase sales as much as possible. Customer sales are driven by sales associates who are knowledgeable of the store's products, and are hyped to share it with the consumers. I would teach associates the importance of customer experience, and show them how their work ethic reflects upon the company. The most challenging part of this position is surpassing the required sale goals with a low volume of traffic. It isn't always easy to generate high dollar sales with consumers not entering your store. That is why conversion is key when regarding to retail. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the crew. All of Pacsun associates are bright and love the Californian Lifestyle. It is nice to walk into a place where one can wear an outfit from the 90's and receive complements from your co-workers. It's a great place to network and a great learning experience for anyone interested in sales.
Pros
Discount, fashion
Cons
high turnover rates, low amount of hours
Fun and laid back work place.
Seasonal Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 4, 2015
Working at Pac Sun was short and sweet due to complications within the company.

On an average day I would clock in and go straight to organizing the women's half of the store, making sure the dressing rooms were in tip top shape, while greeting and helping customers that walked in.

Before and after hours I would clear out the new product boxes from the stock room and place them around the store for customers to view the new merchandise.

Management was really friendly yet were not organized. I told my hiring manager that I would be gone for a week for the holidays and she stated I would still have my job when I returned. Yet when I returned there was a completely new staff and I was taken out the system.

The hardest part of the job was when we would have these random hours when it would become extremely busy with our short staff due to the fact that Pac Sun is located at a tourist mall near a port. A lot of the times they weren't sure what they were looking for and barely spoke english. This was an obstacle I overcame rapidly because I am great at reading body language and I am bilingual.
Pros
laid back work attire
Cons
short breaks, minimum wage, very slow based on location, staff not organized at the time
Engaging workplace with a fun atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kittery, MEMay 20, 2015
At PacSun, my position entailed various skills involving clothing, such as folding clothes, arranging table displays, offering advice to customers based on their needs. At this location, I learned how to operate a cash register. I also was trained in the latest trends and fashions. The management was sub par when it came to scheduling. The schedule was never planned correctly and often changed day by day which hindered my ability to be punctual and be present at my scheduled shifts as the schedule was different from what I knew to be the schedule for that week. My coworkers were very pleasant and we got along very well, which lead to increased productivity due to the fun banter shared between associates. The hardest part of the job was the language barrier between myself and the French Canadian tourists. I do not speak French, thus it was difficult for me to properly communicate. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fun atmosphere due to my coworkers. Another enjoyable part was getting to interact with customers that were as passionate about trends and fashions as I am.
Pros
Discount on clothing, Ability to wear fashionable clothing
Cons
Unstable and fluctuating schedule
"The blind leading the blind"
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 12, 2012
This is a quote from a DM with this company. One would think that this from a dressing down for poor performance from the DM to the in store management, SMs and Ams etc. Nope it was their painfully flawed attempt to excuse poor management from DM down. It was like nobody knows exactly how to do this job, so stop asking questions. At pacsun you will be disrespected, over-worked, not appreciated, definitely not trained properly(17 different answers for the same question), shorted hours, discriminated against. If you like the "Blame Game" this is also a place for you. Its nobodies fault except for everybody elses, talking the talk trumps any real accountability. Contacted this companies HR department, a senario occured that made me want to understand some different policies more clearly, I called and left a message with my district HR Rep and was never replied to in any capacity. I rate my experince as poor, a better word would be awful...
Cons
working at pacsun

Comment – September 28, 2012

I will remain anonymous because I still work for the company in upper management, but you are SO true. There is no accountability, people steal like crazy and you are supposed to "turn a blind eye", the harder you work the LESS you get praised and the more they push you. Hire from within? LOL yeah right,.,....they rather hire some moron without any retail experience. Heaven forbid we don't make goal because there is a storm or a holiday its OUR fault? How about the company is going out of business, and this is their sad attempt at saving some money. Try not over hiring, use better LP tools, treat employees with respect, not have DMs that suck, and especially not have corporate with such incompetence. Seriously, when your own cash registers and sensors don't even work, you have a problem. Step it up Pac Sun

Comment – June 11, 2013

there is no sticking to policies and procedures yeah i loved my job but in ecense i was running a successful store for my manager with her approval and she was replaced and my subordinate promoted above due to DM decision i was unfit for having called HR over an issue with abuse, and loss prevnetion policies broken by a un trained store manager.

This place was amazing. I miss the people i worked with. They are so fun and funny and full of interesting stories.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 6, 2015
A typical day at work was i walked in wanting more clothes than i thought i could want before. There's always smiling faces within the crew that works there everyday. If someone was not in the right mind set it was always fixed with either some support or some funny jokes to cheer you up. The manager there is one of the best managers I've ever had. She was amazing hopefully you will think that too. The co workers were super fun always wanting to help and support you. The hardest part was that it was a JOB. Always moving around, and fixing/folding things and recreating ideas for the new style. The most enjoyable part was dressing up in new clothes and getting everything half off.
Pros
in the salt lake city gateway.
Crowded and no hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJOctober 20, 2014
When I would get to work at PacSun, I would immediately clock in and fill out my sales plan for the day. Typically, it was crowded, and if I was working the floor, it would be annoying and difficult to move around. Mostly I worked the cash register though because I was just the most proficient at it. However, I was only ever scheduled to work half shifts and I maybe worked two days a week, so it was a hassle and not worth working there.
The management was very cool and I liked them a lot, but they also knew how to get things done, but the district manager was a different story.
I loved working with my co-workers as we had grown very close and we were all great friends. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers and shoplifters. But, the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the customers, opening up to them and just being friendly and getting it returned back.
Caring, cool headed staff with motivation to interact with customers
FULL TIME ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNSeptember 25, 2014
Pacsun stores work with a small team of employees.
Management is usually pleasant, helpful, and instructive.
The job consists of greeting and assisting customers, building sales through product knowledge, and building relations with customers.
Tasks included processing shipment, building and setting fixtures for window or merchandise changes, folding clothes or sorting accessories neatly for display, custodial work to keep up with store policy, managing and recording sales, daily operations including filing, tracking paperwork, and cash deposits.
Most difficult part of the job is meeting Floor Set deadlines which require managers to work long shifts that involve physically demanding effort.
Most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with customers and having a staff that stays upbeat and positive even through difficult times.
Pros
break times were flexible, easy going staff
Cons
worked late hours at times
Fun job, not enough hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 8, 2013
I get to work ten minutes before my shift, once I clock in I am put to work cleaning the register area and ringing up the customers. On the days that I work until close, I fold the clothes. I have learned a lot of behind the scenes of retail. The management doesn't really know what is going on. I was hired as part-time but they always have me scheduled for on-calls and when I call they never need me. Also, I thought I was hired for part-time but they are treating me like seasonal help. My co-workers are lovely, they enjoy having fun and you can clearly see they love doing what they do. There really isn't a hard part to my job, except for trying to get more hours and the most enjoyable part is being with my co-workers and seeing people i know walk into the store.
Pros
discounts, co-workers
Cons
not enough hours, barely work at all
extremely good customer service with really friendly employees
Internship (Former Employee) –  victorville, CASeptember 17, 2012
a typical day at work consisted of keeping the place in order and greeting every single customers as they walked in. We would do any shipment that was needed and store products back in to place.I my self learned a lot actually i learned how to convince some one to buy a product and to look at other things that might interest them. Management was great really friendly and made a bond with me. Most co-workers were energetic and extremely hard workers they were always on task and did what they were asked to do.The hardest part of the job was when we were remodeling the store it was a lot of work nothing out of the ordinary just a lot of work.Most enjoyable part was probably when you get some one to buy the merchandise you're trying to sell it feels really good.
Pros
$1.00 pretzels and drinks at wetzel pretzels, breaks, discounts
Extremely fun place to work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCDecember 6, 2013
Typical day at work includes but not limited to markdowns, floorsets, shipment, window changes, promo changes. I love this company. PacSun offers extra money that you earn by making goals and comping. Incentives people! Competitions are between stores in the same district and we are one of the top performers in the district so we usually win! My co-workers are amazing and would do anything for me. We are the definition of teamwork. Hardest part about the job would have to be the window changes we have to complete. If anyone else has worked at PacSun then you understand what I mean. If not, you would have to complete one to understand! Best part about my job? Everything?! I love the discount and the incentives. Every day is different and I love it.
Pros
compensation. great discount on popular clothing items. overtime hours. managment is/was awesome.
Cons
dm needs to be around more.
Knowledgeable and fun work place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAAugust 20, 2015
Open the store, proceed with last nights inventory and bank deposits. As an assistant manager its my job to handle the morning emails, paperwork, payroll, all of the morning operations. After that is finished ensure that the store is presentable and up to par before opening time. Throughout the day I am in charge of sorting stock and processing it onto the sales floor as well as handling the on sale items so that they appeal to the customers. During my time here I have broadened my brand and sneaker knowledge as well learning how to efficiently handle paperwork, customer service and how to run a business. What I enjoy and continue to look forward to at PACSUN is the great work environment, the benefits of being a ASM, the opportunity to grow and learn at every chance.
Pros
Opportunities, fun work place, chance to show my skills
Cons
Hours, misunderstood, unheard.
A fun bussy place to work in, surounded by beautiful clothes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hato Rey, PRApril 27, 2015
A typical day at work, was always a rush since it was a seasonal job (christmas time) you get to the store meet the staff, set the goal sales and then go to the floor to start meeting the clients. I learned a lot, how to treat the clients meet their needs and fullfill them and get to know their differents styles. My co-workers were always nice and when I needed help with something they were there for me. The hardest part of the job is when sometimes there are lazy days and people dont come to the store as much, the most enjoyable part of the job for me is when I help a customer and they like what clothes or accesories I helped them choose it brings me joy and happiness to know I made possible for them to leave the store happy and satisfied
Pros
discounts on great clothes
Cons
no heath benefits
Fun place to work
Lead Sales Asscoiate (Former Employee) –  Eagn, MNMarch 16, 2015
At PacSun, I was a sales associate, and basically what I did was greet people, say “Hi, how are you?”, “Can I help you with anything?”, “These are our sales,” and “If you need a fitting room, I’m here to help you.

It was really laid back. Everyone at PacSun is really chilled when they come to work. They’re not too uptight; everything doesn’t have to be perfect. It’s just a California thing for everything.

You come in, you punch in, and you talk to whoever is managing. Then, they assign you a position; you can either be fitting room, stocking, or you can just help people find clothes.

The hardest part of the job was not much room for advacement and when there was an opportunity for advancement there was allot of favoritism going on between managers and my peers.

The most enjoyable part was serving my Customers.
Pros
clothing discount
Cons
no healthcare and no advancement opportunities
Fun, relaxed, hands on job.
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 31, 2015
My typical day at work was not only talking to customers but making a connection with them through their personality. I learned a lot at Pacsun. I learned all the ropes from returns to cashier and even restocking/censoring new product. Management was great because my manager would connect with us as employees not only on a management level but a personal level as well. My now ex co-workers I still talk to till this very day since I was let go as a seasonal employee in August of 2014. We were all basically in the same age range. Hardest part of the job would be difficult/rude customers and the best part would be getting a huge sale. The most enjoyable part of my job was just being able to have a great time at work with zero drama.
Pros
discounts on clothing.
Cons
Not a lot of hours.
Productive and fun place with really nice people
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 26, 2014
Pac sun was a fun and very diverse place to be at, had alot of fun and met a lot nice people from costumers to co-workers and managers. Being at a clothing store made everything mellow about work especially as my very first job it almost felt as if i was at home in my closest .The hardest part bout the job was knowing that everyday was fast pace only because i was a temporary employer in the middle of winter season so stocking clothes in the back area. but at the end of my week i finally got to work hand to hand with actual costumers which gave me a lot of confidence that build up more with people as a sales associate.
I enjoyed Spending my days their, being around the positive vibe, learning hand to hand with costumers and employers at pac sun
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Action Sports retailer in Mall Space
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 27, 2013
Pac Sun is a action sports retailer who specializes in surf, skate, snow, and lifestyle clothing, footwear, and accessories. They value the operations and visual side of retail more so then the sales and customer service end. Great place to work if you are in high school and just starting out, but not so much for management. I felt as thought they do not value or support their employees as much as other places I have worked. Bad work life balance, as they wish you drop everything else to be there when you already work 40 hours a week and a family to attend to. They also do not hire enough people to work so if someone does not show up they assume you will stay and cover when you have other things going on.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 3, 2014
Work was awesome here at one point, I learned a lot in retail, that I carry with me on an everyday basis. I learned how to fold really nicely, how to work the cash register, how to sell, and deal with customers. The management when I first started working there was amazing, my bosses were awesome, literally, all three of them, they taught me everything I know about retail, they helped me improve my skills, and not to be shy. They also ran the store really good, they helped me do what needed to be done, sell, clean, and help. The hardest part of this job was saying goodbye to my managers when they had to leave, they were so awesome to work with. Then the new management came in, and it went downhill from there. The store become messier, and the coworkers weren't trained right.