Pactiv Employee Reviews

No Job Security
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILJanuary 20, 2014
It was great when I first started. Thought It would be a company I would eventually retire from...then the problems started. Management never had a definite game plan, objectives were constantly changing, had 3 different supervisors during my 3 year tenure there. Then we got bought and the sales force was gutted (over 150 people lost their jobs in the initial round of lay-offs). When they laid us off (2 weeks before Christmas btw) they told us to sign a 1 year non-compete agreement and held our bonuses and severance over our heads if we didn't sign. Needless to say, I don't allow any Hefty products in my home.
Pros
Great Pay/Benefits
Cons
Horrible Job Security
Very insular environment
Capacity Planner (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILApril 1, 2014
Pactiv to me is a company that really doesn't have a culture. It is made up of several companies that Pactiv has bought out, and it often feels like we are operating independently of one another. Most employees come to work, sit at their desk, interact with one or two people, and go home. It can be very quiet and difficult to build connections. I have learned quite a bit, but that is because of my own drive to learn and finding the experts in select areas. Recently there have been layoffs (especially focused in finance) and there are rumors of more coming. From what management says, they are growing and EBITDA has been increasing year over year, but employees continue to feel the pinch. If you like working in a structured environment with little employee appreciation, doing your thing and going home, you may like Pactiv. However, if you want to build connections you should look elsewhere.
Pros
Quiet, good 401k benefits
Cons
Culture lacking, little appreciation, not much room for growth
Run, do not walk, AWAY from this company
Target for Middle Management Hostility (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILApril 20, 2013
From day one, I was given horrible training and poor tools to do my job. My supervisor hated me on sight and continued to make me miserable throughout my entire time there, up to and including my very last day. Not to mention, I worked on a team with individuals who would gleefully throw you under the bus if it suited them. They were always reporting me to the boss for offenses I did not commit, who would never listen to me or believe me when I stood up for myself. I wish I had never accepted their offer of permanent employment. Red flags were all over the place, and I ignored every one of them. In the end, I wound up leaving extremely angry and bitter. In the end, completely not worth the stress and heartache.
Pros
good salary
Cons
poor training, horrible management, childish workers
Amazing job
Extrusion Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Covington, GASeptember 29, 2016
Great job even better bosses. They really care about you and the things going on with you. Only downside is the sexualization of women in the workplace
Work Environment
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAApril 19, 2016
I really enjoy working at Pactiv. The company gave me the opportunity for advancement. Management co-workers are easy to work with.
Pros
Room for advancement
work
Printer Bagger (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNSeptember 2, 2016
it was good company but small hours. and enjoy working with coworkers and it was get burn and the building was destroy.
Break was nice to have and talk with fellow workers.
Pros
good company
Cons
small hours
Night shift was pretty busy but also laid back. Supervisor kept it strictly business but also friendly.
Thermoforming operator (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAAugust 13, 2014
Night shift starts out with a hand off from operator for day shift paper work and information on whats going on with thermoforming machine. learn to trouble shoot machine via computer. management go for the highest standards of production with no flaws in product. seem cooperative at times make jokes etc just to keep along night going smooth. hardest part is running three thermoformer machine at the same time. The most enjoyable part is when machines run smoothly.
Pros
putting out good product and also meeting production Targets
Cons
excellent health care benefits
good job all the around
Packer/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXSeptember 13, 2016
i learned to have a constant work pace and in orderly fashion i really think pactiv is a good place to work for and i wish i could still be there now
Very Comfortable atmosphere
Assistant-Purchasing/Maintenance-Parts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILMay 17, 2012
I would have to say that for Pactiv being a Temporary position, I truely loved working there out of all of the positions in which I have held in the past. I learned alot from the management there to better myself and help better their company. I wish that they were able to hire me on as they said they would have loved too. The company got bought out and downsized positions in turn meant couldn't keep a temp on still either. Great group of people to work with.
Pros
free lunches, could talk to management about any concerns, a place that makes you want to be there everyday
Cons
no health benefits as a temp, and wasn't able to be hired on permanent.
easy, fast days
OPERATOR A, B, C, AND FORKLIFT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARMay 25, 2016
as work went time did as well, many different skills and abibilites, management was okay during my scheduelded shift, co-workers went to work to just do their job, hardest part of my job was when something had broke down, and the most enjoyable part of the job was when we had easy laid back nights
Great company
Supervisor Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 31, 2016
Day to day operations varies which makes for a challenging environment that takes a variety of skills in order to be successful and help the team meet the daily set goals.
Great Place
Packer (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXAugust 25, 2016
Pactiv was a little hard than I expected, but it was fun and went by fairly quick for 12 hour shifts. Just packed cups in boxes and sent them through a tape machine and wrote down how many within that hour.
productive
Packer (Current Employee) –  Mount Carmel, PAAugust 21, 2015
My typical day at Pactiv is inspecting the product for any defects, bagging, boxing then labeling the product. Worked great with my co workers. The hardest part is standing on my feet for 12 hour days. Most enjoyable part of the job was we all worked as a team.
Pros
The employees that worked with me
Cons
healthcare, raises
Management trys to look out for best interest
Operator C (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua NYJune 23, 2013
This once was a great place to work with great benefits and good family values. That is no longer the case. The management is almost always out to get you to benefit themselves. They want to get rid of you so they can get someone else in there at a cheaper price. Benefits are ok but cost is going through the roof great pay but you pay back when you pay for the benefits. Most people there work there because they feel there is nothing else. I mean this is a very easy job but the problem doesnt revolve around the work it revolves around the management making it difficult to do your job.
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Territory Sales Manager Foodservice (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILAugust 25, 2015
Good place to work. Learned procedures, policies and contract systems. Worked in a team setting. Demanding hours but fulfilling.
Pros
flexibility, benefits, car
Great jobs Opportunities
Machine Operator/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, ILDecember 8, 2014
Operating, repairing thermoformers machines paperwork at the end of the shift.
I learned about working in a team setting, how to be a team leader and various maintenance skills. I also learned about 401Ks and how to purchase stocks and bonds.
Co-workers was willing to learn how to do their jobs more efficiently and grow with the company.
The hardest part of the job was the work hours. we worked 12 hours shifts
The enjoyable part of the job was the company everyone worked well together to reach our goals. The pay was great also.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long Hrs
Great Company to work for. Pros definitely outweigh the cons
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARFebruary 12, 2012
Pactiv has unlimited advancement opportunites for managers in the manufacturing/logistics operations. The leaders of the organization are 70% military leaders which instills discipline and organization
Pros
competitive salary, unlimited advancement opportunities
Cons
advancements are in conjuction with relocation, good 'ol boy network, rotating shifts, resistance to change
Poor Management
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILMarch 30, 2015
Lots of Over time for the those who have no Family or Don't want to spend time with family due to the long 12 hr rotating shifts. Good Benefits Poor Management. Could not get in contact with my HR most of the time. Little chance to move up. They say they hire from within but really Like OUTSOURCE.
Pros
Good benefits, Plenty of Over time from March - November.
Cons
Poor Management! they rather outsource.
Great company to work for
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New England/upper NY StateJuly 31, 2015
Great company to work for. Great management. Traveled around the country for team meetings. Excellent compensation packages.
Pros
Independence/company car/expense account/Management
Cons
Company went private
productive and busy
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJuly 28, 2015
it was a job that payed my bills. loved most of the coworkers, mainly the ones that have been there from when I started in 2007. Still remain good friends with most of them.
Pros
3 unpaid breaks per 8 hours, and benefits. pay
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pactiv. Our community is ready to answer.