Palm Beach State College Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, enjoyable,
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Belle Glade, FLMarch 5, 2016
My experience was great. I learned a lot and was able to improve my interpersonal skills due to all the one to one interactions that I had on a daily basis with the students. I learned better communication skills. My coworkers were good; we worked together. The hardest part of the job was seeing the students struggle and try hard to pass a class or a test and not doing so well because of other circumstances. The most enjoyable part was when the students that I helped came back and thanked me for the improvement they had in their grades.
Pros
Allow me to work with my school and family schedule
Cons
benefits were limited
A day at Palm Beach State College
Teaching assistant, math tutor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Positive: working with the students and faculty
Negative: No benefits, limited hours, no job security from semester to semester
Productive, fun and great learning environment
Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLMay 29, 2016
I helped student complete assignments especially research papers, I review their citations weather it was APA or MLA format. As I was present in every class, to be sure I new the exact information about the assignment, I learned more in every session I attended. The professor I had to work with became my mentor and it was a pleasure to work with and for her. I believe the hardest part of this job was to keep the students focused on the assignment at hand and not wonder into their own world. However, it was a pleasure to witness their improvement and their happiness as they earned higher grades.
Pros
Daily learning experience
Cons
Students who were not interested to learn
Very fun internship
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLNovember 5, 2015
While attending Palm Beach State College in 2012, I applied for an internship within the Creative Relations & Marketing department located within the Lake Worth campus. While there, I was able to see how the design field I was going to school for would look first hand. After being placed in this enviroment, it challenged the way I thought creatively and helped improve my design work.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Non-paid Internship, small department with next to zero room for advancement
I enjoy the value of teamwork
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 9, 2015
Loved working at Palm Beach State College.Great staff, wonderful environment. It was an honor to work for them, great workplace and supportive management overall.
Fun workplace
Student Assistant- Volunteer Program (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLNovember 26, 2015
This job gave me the opportunity to interact with a very diverse group of students and citizens. I was able to help those citizens that were in need of help, and I was able to give students positive advise.
Pros
helping people
Cons
pay and benefits
Student Assistant for Talent Search (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLApril 26, 2016
 Secondary point of contact for students, faculty/staff calling the main administrative office
 Maintain and clean environment in the office
 Filling administrative documents
 Data input for the Department
 Organizing file cabinets and folders
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 21, 2016
It was my first time working in a professional environment and i loved it. I've learned some much from my coworkers. I love helping the students will all the info they need to know about the college. Recruit new student in a daily base.
Overall, decent place to work
Program Grant Director (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 23, 2016
This is a wonderful place to work, engaging with the community through higher education. There are many first generation in college students and PBSC is a wonderful resource. It has to be a labor of love, however, because the wages are below market rate for the same skill sets elsewhere.
In 2015, a new college President was hired. and much of the leadership is in flux (many people retiring) so it is an interesting time to observe changes. There are several campuses, each has its own personality and very different policies, which can be challenging for staff and students. The President is working to unify the college to a greater degree.
Most classes are taught by adjunct faculty who are, unfortunately, not considered when it comes to strategic planning. There is a lot of fear between full-time faculty (Union) and administration. This impacts staff is various ways, mostly in the lack of accountability in how faculty treat the staff (and sometimes the students). Some are very rude and unprofessional, far worse than in University environments in which I have worked.
Pros
Two weeks off over winter break, good people, positive changes happening
Cons
Heavy reliance on adjunct faculty, Dysfunctional relationship between leadership and faculty Union, Ancient EPR system, very strange hiring practices in HR, Below market wages, Out of touch Board of Trustees, Some very rude faculty who are not student centered
Productive place to assist student development
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLJune 8, 2016
Opportunity to advance is limited. Advancement depends on who you know in this district. Professional development is excellent though
Pros
Security
Cons
Advancement is minimal
Productive Work Place
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 11, 2016
I work as a work study student, so you can guess that the pay is low, but other than that I love the environment. People are friendly here and we get along pretty well.
Pros
Awesome Environment
Cons
Pay is low
Ops
Accounting & Anatomy Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLApril 21, 2016
Easy going job. Diverse work environment.Everyone is willing to help you. Great learning environment. Tutor about 5 students a day but t varies dependent on testing time for students
Scholarship Coordinator/Career Coach (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 18, 2015
I enjoyed my time employed at Palm Beach State College. The only I had was that of being undercompensated. Nevertheless, if it weren't for having to relocate, I would have remained there and try to make it a career.
Pros
All around great place to work
As a student
Education (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLNovember 16, 2015
I would say Palm Beach State is a pretty good community college and has the fundamentals to succeed and they do have whatever you need to complete degrees and is a way cheaper route instead of going straight to a University.
Pros
varitey of Degrees
Cons
locations are limited
Casual but professional work environment
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 30, 2015
Everyday was a different day working for Palm Beach State College(PBSC). I, personally, really enjoyed working for them. The feeling of being able to help a student learn more about a subject. That feeling i got when we would finally break the wall down that got a student stuck on a particular area of the subject. A lot of my Co-workers were friends, which made coming to work more enjoyable. There was nothing i disliked about working for PBSC and at the end of the day i knew i had helped a student with something they did not understand before hand.
Pros
Casual work environment
Cons
N/A
Great place to work!
Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLMay 29, 2015
A typical work day involved helping students develop skills they need to progress to ENC1101, disbursing, and grading exams. Learned how to be a better helper and adapt to different styles of learning. Management was the best! Co-workers were the best! Hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was helping students and the positive work environment.
A safe, predictable place to work
Tutor, Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLAugust 19, 2013
I helped students to use the computers. Primarily I assisted them with the whole Microsoft Office suite. I learned to be patient and respectful and and how to see a problem from the perspective of someone who is not used to technology.
My co-workers and I developed a very youthful, easy-going culture that promoted freedom of expression and initiative.

The hardest day of the job is any day where there is an irate or unreasonable student, inversely the most enjoyable day is one where a student is extremely grateful because they learned new skills and do not need assistance from us again.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, freedom to innovate in ways to assist
Cons
no room for advancement, few hours
Awesome work place
Computer Helpdesk/ Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLOctober 5, 2015
Palm Beach Garden Campus is an awesome place and the people is awesome to work with. Loved working with the customers and helping to solve their computers, printers, network or phone issues.
Faculty and staff are very supportive
Adjunct Instructor- 911 Dispatch Academy (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLOctober 6, 2015
Great working atmosphere. They have lock down procedures in place to keep staff and students safe.
Campus security is always on site and visible. The campus grounds are safe even at night.
Extremely fun job with lots of human interaction
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth FloridaMay 26, 2015
This job was very good as you got to interact with everybody and work at whatever pace was suitable for you. The management team was also superb doing everything to make sure you were comfortable even buying sweaters.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Lack of hours

4.4