Palm Beach State College

Palm Beach State College Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Reading Tutor (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLMay 29, 2015
A typical work day involved helping students develop skills they need to progress to ENC1101, disbursing, and grading exams. Learned how to be a better helper and adapt to different styles of learning. Management was the best! Co-workers were the best! Hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was helping students and the positive work environment.
Great work place
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Lake WorthMay 27, 2015
Cons: n/a
I've been at PBSC as an adjunct instructor for 3 years and LOVE IT! Very friendly co-workers and great atmosphere. Main campus: Lake Worth
Extremely fun job with lots of human interaction
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Lake Worth FloridaMay 26, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedules
Cons: Lack of hours
This job was very good as you got to interact with everybody and work at whatever pace was suitable for you. The management team was also superb doing everything to make sure you were comfortable even buying sweaters.
Comfortable and friendly work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLMay 22, 2015
Although full-time tenured positions are few, the environment is friendly and supportive for adjuncts. Teaching schedules are flexible, professional services are available, and opportunities exist for inclusion and advancement.
Fun and productive workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLMay 10, 2015
Pros: Team work
Cons: short breaks
Very busy day and always learning something new. I enjoyed the events that we had done and also the people I was working with was very humble and team players.
My department functions like a team should and runs like a well oiled machine because of it.
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee), Lake Worth, FLApril 30, 2015
Everyday provides for new opportunities to improve our overall performance. I have learned that perfection is a constant journey. I work with an excellent team and because of that I look forward to coming in to work each day. The hardest part of my job is wishing that I could do more. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting everything accomplished without incident and going out of my way to give others assistance in any capacity.
Fun place to work.
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Lake Worth, FLApril 16, 2015
Pros: Meet different people on a weekly basis.
Cons: Complaints on unnecessary things.
Working with the average college students.
Aiding them to release the stress of the college life.
Wonderful, fun, and caring coworkers.
Harderst part of the job is the people that come in with complaints about parking.
Great place to learn while working to gain experiences
IT Help Desk Support (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLApril 7, 2015
Great place to learn while working to gain computer experience. Some days were relaxed and other days were very hectic, especially when computer servers were down or network virus invasion. However, co-workers were very helpful.
Engaging work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Lake Worth, FLFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day at work includes welcoming my students to class while everyone signs the attendance. Students will then proceed to complete a five minute activity while all housekeeping duties are finished. We will then engage in discussion/lecture of the assigned reading, then engage in a hands-on activity carefully planned to extend on the knowledge acquired during reading and discussions. We will then wrap up with an oral or written assessment.
organized and manageable workplace
Associate of Arts Degree (Current Employee), Belle Glade, FLJanuary 28, 2015
I loved going to work everyone got along we were a team that treated each other like family. there was very few altercations and problems everyone worked together t solve problems and avoid them. I loved controlling the cameras from the camera room. The hard part was actually recording on the camera because you had to be very alert to avoid mistakes.
supervison
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Belle Glade, FLJanuary 5, 2015
To supervise the students while they're working out, whether it's lifting or cardio. To monitor who attends the facility daily and document every individual who uses the facility.
Opportunity is there... great learning environment
Coordinator of Student Activities (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLOctober 23, 2014
Pros: growth, experience
Cons: politics
It's a great place to learn and grow professionally. Make sure you separate professional and personal.
Great Place
IT (Current Employee), Lake WorthOctober 8, 2014
only way to advance depends on who you know. great place to work. strict management.
Job security
Student Activities Club Advisor (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLSeptember 12, 2014
Great Organization. Salaries could be better. Great Co-Workers at the Boca Campus.
Productive Counseling Unit
Workforce Manager (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere of support
Managing 4 advisors and having a caseload of 320 laid off individuals is challenging but exciting at the same time.
Counseling the laid off person is challenging in that the person's life has been turned up side down. Counseling on depression, anxiety, relationships, coping with change helps the individual get through his/her training at the college a little easier.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student get through their studies, graduate and obtain a fulfilling vocation.
Great training ground
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLAugust 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management sucks
Great benefits...good training however no room for advancement
Fun work environment
Wedding & Events Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), The Boca CampusJuly 30, 2014
I was an evening instructor so there was not much to do besides teach, . The administrators were all very accommodating in helping me get my teaching materials together.
A great work enviornment, a rewarding position
English and Reading Tutor (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLApril 22, 2014
Pros: rewarding profession, great work enviornment
Cons: lack of upward mobility
My day would start with me coming in and setting up my workstation. I worked in the student learning center at Palm Beach State College. The students who were there were mostly there to fulfill their credit requirement for remedial preparatory classes. My day would start with signing with my supervisor I would speak with her for about 5-10 minutes about any new developments or if she needed me to work with a certain group of students.

From there sometimes I would work the desk grading tests, sometimes I would work with students on individual questions that they had if they did not understand the material, and during the end of the semester most of my work pertained to helping students with their term papers and editing them, or helping them organize the structure of their essays. From there once my shift was over I would clock out and that was my day.

I have learned a lot working there, a lot about myself and a lot in general. I was able to reinforce my own understanding of Writing English, Grammar, and Reading Comprehension. Which was intellectually refreshing. I had learned how to modify my teaching methods to fit the learning styles of different students. I was often called upon to work with the more emotionally difficult and impatient students because I was the youngest person on the staff at the time I had just graduated college so I would speak with those students because I was closer to their age and better able to relate to them and their struggles.

Management was efficient and established protocol was established the student learning center had been operating the – more... same way with the same protocol for at least 15 years now they are very established and organized.

The hardest part of my job was toward the end of the semester when many of the students I had developed a rapport with requested my help specificly and did not want to work with the other tutors. It was difficult because due to the demand at the time I was not able to work with all of them many of which had developed a higher level of rapport with me then with the other students. I often would meet with them on my own time for free to help walk them through it. Another difficult part of my job was that many of the students saw me as their friend due to my friendly and helpful nature, this presented difficulty sometimes because they would try to test me to see if they could get me to cut them slack that the other tutors or my supervisor would not allow. I learned from this job how to be a little firmer with people and how to better draw the line between work and friendship.

My coworkers were all older than me and I learned a lot from them and their life experiences. They were full of wisdom and I learned things from life wisdom, to cooking receipes, to computer software tips, to investment ideas it was a pleasure working with them I learned a lot about myself from them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to know that I made a difference in peoples lives. When I was able to see a student who English is their second language and watch them struggle before meeting me and after working with them throughout the entire semester watch them implement my strategies and see their insecurities vanish to see what was once a sore spot for them become easy. I really enjoyed working with students and watching their progress, I really enjoyed watching their confidence grow and knowing that I played a part in that is a really humbling and rewarding experience. Seeing how they looked up to me it really was something special it was something that I was honored and humbled to be in that position to know that these students actually look to me for advice, was very rewarding. – less
Post-Secondary Education
Post-Secondary Advisor, TRiO (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLApril 22, 2014
Provided college prep information and activities for middle school and high school students.
Ok
Work Study Student (Former Employee), Lake Worth, FLFebruary 28, 2014
I was just a work study student there cant't really say much, but it's a good palce to work.