Palm Beach State College Employee Reviews

Productive, enjoyable,
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Belle Glade, FLMarch 5, 2016
My experience was great. I learned a lot and was able to improve my interpersonal skills due to all the one to one interactions that I had on a daily basis with the students. I learned better communication skills. My coworkers were good; we worked together. The hardest part of the job was seeing the students struggle and try hard to pass a class or a test and not doing so well because of other circumstances. The most enjoyable part was when the students that I helped came back and thanked me for the improvement they had in their grades.
Pros
Allow me to work with my school and family schedule
Cons
benefits were limited
Productive, fun and great learning environment
Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLMay 29, 2016
I helped student complete assignments especially research papers, I review their citations weather it was APA or MLA format. As I was present in every class, to be sure I new the exact information about the assignment, I learned more in every session I attended. The professor I had to work with became my mentor and it was a pleasure to work with and for her. I believe the hardest part of this job was to keep the students focused on the assignment at hand and not wonder into their own world. However, it was a pleasure to witness their improvement and their happiness as they earned higher grades.
Pros
Daily learning experience
Cons
Students who were not interested to learn
A day at Palm Beach State College
Teaching assistant, math tutor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Positive: working with the students and faculty
Negative: No benefits, limited hours, no job security from semester to semester
Learning job
Ops Professional Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Florida, lake worthJuly 9, 2016
I worked in the math lab and I tutor approximately 20 students per day. The environment is really nice and welcoming. I learn new things (math related) every day and also I keep my brain busy and active I also have the opportunity to guide students when it comes to school.
easy entry level job for students
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 30, 2016
easy job with opportunites to learn about the school, Fun working environment but no room for advancement in the job.
making advertisements and helping the school with planning events and helping with club planning and events for the clubs as well
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 21, 2016
It was my first time working in a professional environment and i loved it. I've learned some much from my coworkers. I love helping the students will all the info they need to know about the college. Recruit new student in a daily base.
Great Job while being a student
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJuly 4, 2016
Learned how to communicate with different populations effectively.
Management was willing to work around school schedule.
Pros
Got to meet important people within the university
Palm Beach State College offers excellent education and training
Student (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJuly 19, 2016
Highly qualified professors and instructors ensure all students receive the education for which they are enrolled.
Productive place to assist student development
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLJune 8, 2016
Opportunity to advance is limited. Advancement depends on who you know in this district. Professional development is excellent though
Pros
Security
Cons
Advancement is minimal
Very fun internship
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLNovember 5, 2015
While attending Palm Beach State College in 2012, I applied for an internship within the Creative Relations & Marketing department located within the Lake Worth campus. While there, I was able to see how the design field I was going to school for would look first hand. After being placed in this enviroment, it challenged the way I thought creatively and helped improve my design work.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Non-paid Internship, small department with next to zero room for advancement
Overall, decent place to work
Program Grant Director (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 23, 2016
This is a wonderful place to work, engaging with the community through higher education. There are many first generation in college students and PBSC is a wonderful resource. It has to be a labor of love, however, because the wages are below market rate for the same skill sets elsewhere.
In 2015, a new college President was hired. and much of the leadership is in flux (many people retiring) so it is an interesting time to observe changes. There are several campuses, each has its own personality and very different policies, which can be challenging for staff and students. The President is working to unify the college to a greater degree.
Most classes are taught by adjunct faculty who are, unfortunately, not considered when it comes to strategic planning. There is a lot of fear between full-time faculty (Union) and administration. This impacts staff is various ways, mostly in the lack of accountability in how faculty treat the staff (and sometimes the students). Some are very rude and unprofessional, far worse than in University environments in which I have worked.
Pros
Two weeks off over winter break, good people, positive changes happening
Cons
Heavy reliance on adjunct faculty, Dysfunctional relationship between leadership and faculty Union, Ancient EPR system, very strange hiring practices in HR, Below market wages, Out of touch Board of Trustees, Some very rude faculty who are not student centered
Student Assistant for Talent Search (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLApril 26, 2016
 Secondary point of contact for students, faculty/staff calling the main administrative office
 Maintain and clean environment in the office
 Filling administrative documents
 Data input for the Department
 Organizing file cabinets and folders
Productive Work Place
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 11, 2016
I work as a work study student, so you can guess that the pay is low, but other than that I love the environment. People are friendly here and we get along pretty well.
Pros
Awesome Environment
Cons
Pay is low
I enjoy the value of teamwork
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 9, 2015
Loved working at Palm Beach State College.Great staff, wonderful environment. It was an honor to work for them, great workplace and supportive management overall.
Ops
Accounting & Anatomy Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLApril 21, 2016
Easy going job. Diverse work environment.Everyone is willing to help you. Great learning environment. Tutor about 5 students a day but t varies dependent on testing time for students
Fun workplace
Student Assistant- Volunteer Program (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLNovember 26, 2015
This job gave me the opportunity to interact with a very diverse group of students and citizens. I was able to help those citizens that were in need of help, and I was able to give students positive advise.
Pros
helping people
Cons
pay and benefits
Scholarship Coordinator/Career Coach (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 18, 2015
I enjoyed my time employed at Palm Beach State College. The only I had was that of being undercompensated. Nevertheless, if it weren't for having to relocate, I would have remained there and try to make it a career.
Pros
All around great place to work
A safe, predictable place to work
Tutor, Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLAugust 19, 2013
I helped students to use the computers. Primarily I assisted them with the whole Microsoft Office suite. I learned to be patient and respectful and and how to see a problem from the perspective of someone who is not used to technology.
My co-workers and I developed a very youthful, easy-going culture that promoted freedom of expression and initiative.

The hardest day of the job is any day where there is an irate or unreasonable student, inversely the most enjoyable day is one where a student is extremely grateful because they learned new skills and do not need assistance from us again.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, freedom to innovate in ways to assist
Cons
no room for advancement, few hours
Great training ground
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLAugust 10, 2014
Great benefits...good training however no room for advancement
benefits
Cons
management sucks
Great place to work!
Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLMay 29, 2015
A typical work day involved helping students develop skills they need to progress to ENC1101, disbursing, and grading exams. Learned how to be a better helper and adapt to different styles of learning. Management was the best! Co-workers were the best! Hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was helping students and the positive work environment.

4.4