Palmetto GBA Employee Reviews

Productive and well organized workplace
Provider Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 4, 2016
As a current employee for almost 12 years, Palmetto GBA has been a great place to work. The culture at Palmetto GBA is very structured. Depending on what department that you work in, there is a certain level of autonomy which I believe is important. It means that management trust the people on their team to do the jobs they've been hired to do. This aspect has been the most enjoyable part of the job. In my tenure at Palmetto GBA, I have worked on the Medicare side. While that has provided some structure, there is not a lot of security as I am currently going through my 2nd RIF (reduction in force). Additionally, while an employee's input is solicited, it is rarely implemented. Aside from that, Palmetto GBA is a great place to work. I haven't had any issues with my current coworkers or management. All of them are a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Compensation, lack of growth
Stressfull and demanding job with no job security
Provider Relations Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 15, 2016
A typical day of work is coming in to do the job you are there to do only to be pulled into other areas with ill regard to what you were previously doing. Management does not take into consideration the complexity and task that my team is tasked with as their main focus and priority is that of another area in which they do not hold their employees accountable. Their fix is to add additional work onto an already heavy work load to others that are doing their jobs before holding the others that are not accountable and/or looking within themselves as management to fix the problem. Quit simply, they are putting a bandage on a much bigger problem which will of course escalate to a much bigger problem. Their are to many egos and pursuit of power, that the most sane and reasonable minds are overlooked and/or ignored. Not all management is like this nor is the company as a whole. It is the contract that I currently work for that I am speaking of.
Pros
Cons
no job security as everything changes at a drop of a dime
Stable and productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 9, 2016
Consistent and steady work flow. Great work hours. Doesn't pay the best. Co-workers keep to themselves. Clear and consistent job expectations. Management is decent.
Pros
Very Consistent
Cons
Low pay
Great introduction to Medicare
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 3, 2016
This was a script based position through a temp agency that provided me with the foundation to move on to more rewarding work. The pay and the benefits were horrible, but gaining insight into insurance plans was invaluable.
Good company to work for.
Claims Examiner/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 8, 2016
During my time at Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina, the atmosphere was always professional and management had an 'open door' policy. You could talk to management at any time.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Productive. Management invests in their employees. Great opportunity for growth. Family-oriented environment.
Claims/CSR I, II and III (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 15, 2015
Palmetto GBA is one of the BEST employers I have ever worked for!
Awesome experience!! Management takes the time to invest in their employees and guides them on their career paths.
Pros
High employee retention rate. Great benefits.
Quite production based
Accounting Tech ll (Former Employee) –  Columbus Oh, Main office in Columbia SCOctober 15, 2015
Caseload management apply checks to overpayments from medicare to Dr. Offices and clinics. Very little phone work most of the day is spent creating a AR number to the correct overpaid code.

It was very important to create an AR number correctly so the amount due is correct for the year of the overpayment.

Keeping the correct fee schedule was large part of using the correct code for the overpayment.

Meeting deadlines was a crucial part of the process, teammates would sometimes abe asked to assist another team member so that we could achieve monthly goals as a tram unit
Pros
Flexibility, overtime and good benefits
Cons
Bids for contracts with medicare
Excellent company, Strong vision and leadership
Accountant IV (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 28, 2015
Analyze financial statements for proper presentation and form according to GAAP. Interpret data for the purpose of determining past financial performance, and project financial probability. Recorded, classified, and/or summarized financial transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Provided information to customers; explained accounting transactions, and resolved accounting issues and/or discrepancies. Created pivot tables and utilized v-look-up to input large volumes of information on spreadsheets to analyze information for management.
Understanding the Competitive Bids Process.
Excellent management, Professional Co-workers
Having to disqualify a Bidder from the process.
Approving Bidders for the program, which allows cost to be passed on to the consumers
Pros
Gym, Professional Enviroment
Cons
N/A
company
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 14, 2016
The company handled situations from the employee in a professional manner. My manager was very fair. Work material was provided as well as weekly training.
Production and quality driven place of employment
Senior Claims Analysis (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 25, 2016
Good people to work with. Was a government contract job with renewal every 5 years. Production and quality driven job requirements with goals.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
low salary
Palmetto GBA is a great organization:
Senior Competitive Bidding Liaison for NC & SC (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 23, 2015
Palmetto GBA is a subsidiary of Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina. Overall, Palmetto GBA is a great organization; I have found that it is difficult to move up within the organization. My job is rewarding as I love communicating with people and travelling. I also like the team that I work with; there are many challenges among the team, but overall, we are willing to work towards a common goal; to be efficient and effective in our positions as liaisons.
Pros
Flexibility and Non-Micromanagement
Cons
Compensation
Working in a productive envirnoment
Claims Processor I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 9, 2015
Worked with CMS on government policies and procedures.
Adhere to HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
Processed Medicare claims in a productive envirnoment.
Logged daily work activities on a log sheet.
Pros
Benefits and Flexible work hours
Cons
Mixed management at times
Great Workplace
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 25, 2016
Palmetto GBA, LLC is a great place to work that will provide benefits of at home workplace, flexibility, and community service involvement in the Columbia Metro areas.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Contract Employment
Good pay and benefits
Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioApril 30, 2016
Flex hours, come in any time before 10:00 AM, log on to personal computer and company data systems and begin processing. Take breaks at personal preference times.
Pros
On-the-job training, no experience required
Cons
Mandatory overtime, very repettitive
Extremely flexible place to work
Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 11, 2012
Working at Palmetto GBA was an overall good experience. My co-workers were great and the work environment was comfortable. I truly enjoyed and appreciated the flexible hours. As long as you worked 40 hours a week (hourly employees only) then you were able to set your own schedule. For example, I would work nine hours a day (7-4) and only work four hours on Friday. In my department, management was very effcient.

The position of Appeals Coordinator is very easy and repetitive. Every day will be the same with the exception of monthly training. I would not say there was anything particularly challenging about working at Palmetto GBA.

The major downside of working at Palmetto GBA is the compensation. The pay is relatively low. Several co-workers had over ten years working there and had not received a major pay raise. I worked there nearly a year (with superior reviews) and never recieved a raise. I left Palmetto GBA because I had to relocate to another state.
Pros
flexible hours, comfortable work environment, training program
Cons
compensation package, no room for advancement within the company
x
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 30, 2015
Fun Work place with supportive management. not all about how you
personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics
We were team oriented and would pitch in and help all areas to succeed
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 23, 2013
This was overall a good company to work for. We were extensively trained in every aspect of our jobs.

We had on going training over our entire career, every two weeks with all the government updates and change request in the
Medicare program.

My direct manager was wonderful. He did not believe in micro-management and as long as you were responsible and self-motivated, you hardly saw him accept at team meetings and in passing.

The hardest part of the job was the out-source calls coming in.

The most enjoyable part was talking with offices that you established relationships with, you would know the person by their voice.
Pros
Recognition/Free lunches especially at holiday time.
Cons
Technology might have been more up to date.
productive and fun place to work
EDI Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 6, 2016
productive and fun place to work, great team enviroment . great education bulider, great palce to work.the company cares about it;s employes
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service/Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 8, 2013
While working at Palmetto GBA i delivered customer service support and communicated effectively in a highly interactive and dynamic environment. Handled high volume of inquiries regarding health insurance plan benefits and eligibility. Investigated claims issues with appeals and performed quality control daily to ensure processing accuracy. Utilized Next Generation Desktop application to update customer records. The hardest part of the job may have been waiting to do more to help the benefeciary to highest extent but there was only so much i was able to do.I enjoyed everything about my job at Palmetto GBA easily the best place I have ever worked.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
n/a
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 25, 2015
It's okay, could always be better. No room for advancement. Raises are not good and does not compensate for actual work being done.