Palo Verde Hospital Employee Reviews

Unrealistic expectations by management
RN (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 10, 2017
It is not safe to care for as many patients as the nurses are assigned to in this facility. Aside from using paper charting and an antiquated medication system (both of which are very time-consuming) the nurse is are responsible for answering phone calls, listening to patients complaints, running to other units for medications that aren't available, escorting people from reception to the unit to see patients. If you are unable to multitask at a breakneck pace you will never make it here. After working in many psychiatric facilities I can truly say that the nurses here are spread too thin and in jeopardy of losing their licenses due to having too many responibilities to be able to provide safe quality nursing care.
Pros
Staff work well together & are supportive of each other
Cons
Clueless management, unrealistic & unsafe assignments, Facility values making money by admitting the most pts.possible with the least staff, High turnover for employees, need for many travel nurses due to no core staff.
Avoid at all costs. Abusive to patients and Employees
clinician (Former Employee) –  Tucson AZMay 25, 2016
Though Palo Verde Behavioral Health was once a respected Psychiatric facility that actually cared for those in need with mental illness, when owned by Tucson Medical Center, it has become a greedy machine operating with as many patients and as few staff as they can get away with. This is the formula UHS (United Healthcare Services, the new owners) has used at all of their facilities. They have buckets of money earned by providing the lowest quality care they can possibly get away with. As a former nurse, I have seen that even the Doctors here are helpless pawns as the CEOs and Administrators have all the power and treat all the employees, yes even the high up Drs, like just another resource to squeeze as much out of as they possibly can and replace. In the end though it is the patients in need who end up suffering the most. Low staff numbers mean more incidents, assaults, violence and self harm while almost no time with providers means often not getting the right treatment or even dangerous mistakes forced by over-worked clinicians. Whenever possible patients and employees should stay away from any facility operated by United Healthcare Services UHS.
Also please see http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2016/danger-in-the-psych-ward/ and http://www.psychcrime.org/news/index.php?vd=1871&t=Universal+Health+Services%3A+List+of+behavioral+health+facilities+managed+by+UHS.
Pros
employed
Cons
employed by UHS
Stessed and over worked
Community clinic (Former Employee) –  Blythe caMay 1, 2016
Not enough resources, over worked, MUCH more responsibility then job description pay was ok but not for the amount of work. Was promised help but never got any.
ProductiveG
Behavior Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AzJune 30, 2015
Great atmosphere,great people to work with. To much politics and micro-managing was the hardest thing working for this hospital. My co-workers were amazing, a lot of team work.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Politics and micro-managing
Coworkers are great. Administration uses fear and intimidation to keep employees in line.
RN (Former Employee) –  TucsonApril 22, 2015
Employees clock out for lunch without taking a lunch out of fear of being written up. Nursing managers do the best they can to help on the units but they are pulled into other directions. The CEO seems nice but is clueless to what is happening. The CNO is immature as a leader and uses fear to keep employees in line. Coworkers are supportive of each other. The admissions department runs the hospital. Patients are consistently placed on units that are not appropriate. Staff is unable to provide the group therapy and care the patients require. Patient to staff ratio depends on staff available not acuity.
Pros
Great coworkers good pay
Cons
Administration has created a hostile work environment
Clean community hospital providing care to the area. Great nurses and staff that care about pateints
PRN Tech (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAFebruary 13, 2015
A small community hospital providing patient care to a large area. The staff care about people and nurses are great. Some very good doctors and some not so good. Most equipment is old and outdated but still working. It is very clean for being 60 years old.I liked it there just wish it was not so far from anywhere else. Few amenities in the area but great for a family that wants a small community.
Pros
Good people that care about patients. Being a vtal part of healthcare for the community.
Cons
Hospital run by management company. Supervisor manager skills not the best, frequent incorrect work schedules. Nice guy though.
helping people cope with mental illness
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 1, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of getting patient vitals, doing groups, making sure patients had there meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner), and making sure patients were safe.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
Management were not good at staffing hospital needs.
Low staff morale, high turnover resulting from unresponsive management, bottom line more important than care of staff
Intake Clinician (Former Employee) –  Tucson AZNovember 13, 2014
A typical day at work was hectic and fast paced with our supervisor micro-managing us as if we were imbeciles. Same supervisor threatened us with lay offs, job termination . . . if we did not meet their unrealistic expectations. This same supervisor had people from all departments file complaints against them.
The hardest part of the job was when the hospital was short staffed - it had a ripple effect. Whether it was my department or someone else's, it affected how much could get done on that shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the clinicians with whom I worked. Their commitment to the care of our patients was admirable and they took it seriously. Clinical supervisors were empathetic and supportive of their staff.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No lunch breaks, awful boss
Worked with great people and cients
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 17, 2014
The agency had issues just like any other and treatment of worker was inconsistent in nature and my co-workers were really competent and worked hard
Pros
good environment and co-workers
Cons
management was inconsistent in treatment
Problems go unsolved`
RN (Former Employee) –  StaffJune 5, 2014
I have had greivances for many weeks at this time. I have gone up the ladder as I was told. No progress whatsoever. All I get is "quit taking everything so personal" Well, in my opinion , if you are a good nurse you better take others criticism and rumors personal. This can ruin your reputation.
You never know from one day to the next what your schedule will be or even if there will be someone to relieve you after you supposed 12 hour shift.
The people in the general staff are very gracious as well as the patients. But as the community well know there are two or three people in high places that call all the shots at this hospital and DON'T DARE CROSS THEM.
FAIR WARNING
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Living conditions are horrible/ No shopping centers, wal mart, walgreens etc. very small small town
Horrible place to work
Communication Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAFebruary 10, 2014
There is no training available. This company is located in a very small town of 12,000 people. The competition to keep a job is nerve racking. There are a few senior managers that are very political and decide you is or is not going to have a position in the hospital whether they are qualified or not.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
To many politics
Extremely challenging place of employment
INTERIM CHIEF NURSING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CANovember 5, 2013
I was employed as an interim Cheif Nursing Officer during an exteremely difficult time during this hospital. All of the administrative team had been dismissed by the BOD as well as all departments did not have any managers. My goal was to provide my skills on a temporary basis until a more experienced CNO could be obtained. This was an extremely stressful arena. However, I was able to provide the leadership that was needed at the time. The most difficult
portion of this employment was not having any managers to assist with the day to day routine requirements.
Sincere hospital staff
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CASeptember 9, 2013
I provided consulting for several years at this small facility.
The staff were great and easy to work with.
Administration seemed disconnected from staff at that time.
Pros
Cooperative spirit of staff
Cons
Lack of resources
wonderful people to work with
Travel Nurse for One Staff Medical (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAMay 23, 2013
This hospital is going through much change with a wonderful group of people working hard every day to assist and help staff and environment.
Medical field is complex and exciting
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Blythe, CAApril 22, 2013
Work days are full of activities that involve patient charts and interaction with physicians other departments, patients and visitors.

The medical field is exciting and I have learned many medical terms and have a better understanding of the disease processes.

Co-workers are knowledgeable and helpful and sometime fun.

The hardest part of my job is that the feeling of accomplishment comes in very small stages because the work is no very diversified and never-ending.

I enjoy interaction with other departments to attain a specific goal and customer service.
Pros
discounted lunches, versitile working hours.
Cons
filing. non-descriptive job title.
Small town envirnment yet short travel to large metro areas
Business Office Director (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAAugust 14, 2012
Very positive experience. We improved our A/R aging, increased cash collection. Organization improved image in community. Added services to increase utilization by community. Good team in Admitting and Business Office. Good leadership.
Pros
improved overall quality of services to community
Cons
became community hospital; management group hired did little to maintain improvements
OK pay for OK work
Quality and Risk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAApril 11, 2012
The pay is OK for the work done but very litte rewards or acknowledgments for what is done. The company is very separated by what people think you should be doing and not a lot of people there will willingly help you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Palo Verde Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7