Palomar College Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAApril 17, 2017
I was a tutor at Palomar college and it was a perfect job while taking classes. My schedule was flexible so that I could attend class. Management is accommodating to your educational goals.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Great Environment
Math Tutor/Instructor Assistant/MC Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAApril 5, 2017
I learned how to work with people from different backgrounds. we have students who have disabilities, and it is a great practice to be patient and know how to help them.
Pros
great environment
Cons
Not related to what I have studied
Fun and Productive place to work
Diesel Technology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA 92069March 13, 2017
Palomar gets the best equipment and materials, they take care of their students and their employees. The best place I have ever worked. Coming to work was an easy commute, every resource you could ever need was in reach and available. The hardest part of the job was that temporary employees are un able to advance in their job or pay.
Pros
Great work environment and staff
Cons
pay, parking, traffic in the surrounding area.
Great Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMarch 8, 2017
Loved working with the Students at Palomar we got along famously and loved the Writing Staff too. The job was fun lots of Temps at the center Life was the only conflict due to the Administration Policy of not allowing certain profiles of Workers to attend the College.
Pros
Students Staff Writing Center
Cons
Administrative Policy on Homeless Students
I loved working here. I wish I didn't have to move.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAFebruary 14, 2017
Great management. I felt appreciated and that my work was valued. Loved doing what I did. I learned a lot about general office work.
Great School
Student (Current Employee) –  StudentJanuary 11, 2017
Great school environment. Easy to get around and get classes. Friendly staff and students. Would recommend to anyone.
Flexible position that allows students more hands-on learning oppurotunity.
Stage Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAOctober 16, 2016
Work at the Palomar College Performing Arts Center usually consists of technical work for productions ranging from orchestra shows to theatrical productions. I learned a great deal about carpentry, lighting design and maintenance, and audio design. Management was present, helpful, and made clear work goals for the team/crew. My co-workers and I had mostly shared classes together and were already an effective team backstage. The hardest part of this position would have to be heavy lifting for extended periods of time, while the most enjoyable is the feeling of helping to create and put on a show with a group of talented performers.
Pros
Ability to see preforming arts productions, close knit employee relationships.
Cons
Late hours, short breaks
Been here for almost a decade and still love it
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJuly 31, 2016
I have been working at Palomar College Early Childhood Education Lab School for 8 years. I have learned so much in my time here and am very thankful for the time I have been able to have here. I started working in the kitchen preparing meals and giving breaks to the teachers. Then I was able to move up to closing teacher, while still being able to be an assistant teacher for one teacher for 7 years. My coworkers have been very helpful, friendly and caring towards each other and the children especially. The hardest part of my job is when my children age out of our care. I enjoy my time at my work, but I do have to move on and there are no full time positions available at this time here.
Great place to start your lifeguard career!
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMarch 26, 2016
Great Place to start if you wanna pursue a lifeguard career! The staff are friendly, and interacting with the teachers and swimmers is one of the best parts! Specially with the down syndrome kids! Great atmosphere and no extra stress then you already have or don't need.
Pros
Scott, Jem, and Aj. (adaptives)
Cons
Very few breaks, Jem thinks he's funny half the time.
great working environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I am a study work in Palomar College. Since I work here, my supervisor always gives me the best opportunity to work and study. She helps me to study and get excellent working experience which are helping students make appointments via phone calling or walking in, helping students with computer skills, and managing time schedule for tutors to help students.
love it
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  san diegoNovember 4, 2015
i work with students and faculties. i recieve directions from the dean of science and the stem director. Mjob is mainly to ensure people succeed in sciences. it is college commitment to national ten years program lunched by department of education to increase number of science degrees to secure the nation's tomorrow industry and job market and it is an honor to be part of such constructive purpose.
Part time staff
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  San MarcosAugust 22, 2015
I love teaching for this college. Very supportive and encouraging environment. Very inclusive even as a part-time instructor.
Pros
Culture, Support, Salary
Cons
Part time work
A great place to work with a genuine family atmosphere
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CaliforniaJuly 3, 2015
A typical day for me would include handling the shipping and receiving needs of the school's staff, maintenance, and conducting inventory control.
STEM Tutoring
STEM GIS Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 13, 2014
Tutor students in all GIS courses from Palomar and provide lab assistance.
Schooling
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2013
Learned to balance my schooling and athletics while maintaing a 4.0 gpa
Pros
california
Cons
long time as a part timer...no chance of real job there
Part Time Instructor (Current Employee) –  San MarcosSeptember 16, 2012
The students are really great here! I have had ten years of working with the students and they are wonderful to work with since they want to learn, they are hard workers and they appreciate whatever help you offer. Therefore I try to not only teach the subject material but also I do my best to find cheaper texts or a way for students to use a copy of the text in the library if they cannot afford it. And if students are looking for work I search and post to the class blackboard what I find. I have been able to help several students actually get real jobs. In addition whenever I find scholarships that the students could qualify for I also post those to the blackboard and I write letters of recommendation for students whenever they ask me. Sometimes students have special needs and I am glad to work with them in order to help them succeed. I am so glad to help these students! they come from poor backgrounds like I do and when they want to work hard, I want to help.

Unfortunately my situation in terms of working with 'colleagues' at Palomar is not so positive since the full timers feel entitled to their high salaries and wonderful benefits including health care for their families...while we part timers are NOT looked at when any hiring occurs. Nor does the union which is supposed to represent both us part timers and the full time faculty care about us...since it is the full time faculty who have the absolute right to hire and fire us at will. We part timers have very few rights and no rights to be hired or to be employed at all. As a person with an MBA and a JD and now an MA in
  more... Math I really believe that I am qualified both in terms of education and in terms of experience to become a full professor here. But for whatever reason I cannot get hired no matter how many times I apply.  less
This is a great place to work.
Staff Assistant/Contract Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 8, 2012
Awesome environment with room for advancement. Able to assist students in their college endeavors. Great benefits and co-workers.
Pros
stability, benefits, helping others.
This was a great place to get a start in my new career.
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 4, 2012
The Library Technology program here was awesome. They could not have been more helpful and supportive.
Pros
on-the-job training that was invaluable.
Cons
unfortunately, with budget cuts, they have had to eliminate some lt positions.
A professional work place for the employees.
Facility Services (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 13, 2012
A typical day at work begins with the graveyard staff meeting to find out if there are specific needs that have to be taken care. When getting to my area I walk around to make sure all the outer doors are locked. Then I check my supply inventory in each area to make sure the necessary products are fully stocked. If not I write down what I need and get the list to the supervisor. In each of my areas I am responsible for cleaning carpets, hardwood, bathrooms, and showers. Each different surface requires a certain chemical to be properly cleaned.
Pros
the benefits greatly help out
Cons
the hours i am working 10pm-6:30am m-th, f 5pm-1:30am

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Palomar College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5