Palomar College Employee Reviews in United States

great working environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I am a study work in Palomar College. Since I work here, my supervisor always gives me the best opportunity to work and study. She helps me to study and get excellent working experience which are helping students make appointments via phone calling or walking in, helping students with computer skills, and managing time schedule for tutors to help students.
love it
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  san diegoNovember 4, 2015
i work with students and faculties. i recieve directions from the dean of science and the stem director. Mjob is mainly to ensure people succeed in sciences. it is college commitment to national ten years program lunched by department of education to increase number of science degrees to secure the nation's tomorrow industry and job market and it is an honor to be part of such constructive purpose.
Part time staff
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  San MarcosAugust 22, 2015
I love teaching for this college. Very supportive and encouraging environment. Very inclusive even as a part-time instructor.
Pros
Culture, Support, Salary
Cons
Part time work
A great place to work with a genuine family atmosphere
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CaliforniaJuly 3, 2015
A typical day for me would include handling the shipping and receiving needs of the school's staff, maintenance, and conducting inventory control.
STEM Tutoring
STEM GIS Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 13, 2014
Tutor students in all GIS courses from Palomar and provide lab assistance.
Schooling
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2013
Learned to balance my schooling and athletics while maintaing a 4.0 gpa
Pros
california
Cons
long time as a part timer...no chance of real job there
Part Time Instructor (Current Employee) –  San MarcosSeptember 16, 2012
The students are really great here! I have had ten years of working with the students and they are wonderful to work with since they want to learn, they are hard workers and they appreciate whatever help you offer. Therefore I try to not only teach the subject material but also I do my best to find cheaper texts or a way for students to use a copy of the text in the library if they cannot afford it. And if students are looking for work I search and post to the class blackboard what I find. I have been able to help several students actually get real jobs. In addition whenever I find scholarships that the students could qualify for I also post those to the blackboard and I write letters of recommendation for students whenever they ask me. Sometimes students have special needs and I am glad to work with them in order to help them succeed. I am so glad to help these students! they come from poor backgrounds like I do and when they want to work hard, I want to help.

Unfortunately my situation in terms of working with 'colleagues' at Palomar is not so positive since the full timers feel entitled to their high salaries and wonderful benefits including health care for their families...while we part timers are NOT looked at when any hiring occurs. Nor does the union which is supposed to represent both us part timers and the full time faculty care about us...since it is the full time faculty who have the absolute right to hire and fire us at will. We part timers have very few rights and no rights to be hired or to be employed at all. As a person with an MBA and a JD and now an MA in
  more... Math I really believe that I am qualified both in terms of education and in terms of experience to become a full professor here. But for whatever reason I cannot get hired no matter how many times I apply.  less
This is a great place to work.
Staff Assistant/Contract Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 8, 2012
Awesome environment with room for advancement. Able to assist students in their college endeavors. Great benefits and co-workers.
Pros
stability, benefits, helping others.
This was a great place to get a start in my new career.
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 4, 2012
The Library Technology program here was awesome. They could not have been more helpful and supportive.
Pros
on-the-job training that was invaluable.
Cons
unfortunately, with budget cuts, they have had to eliminate some lt positions.
A professional work place for the employees.
Facility Services (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 13, 2012
A typical day at work begins with the graveyard staff meeting to find out if there are specific needs that have to be taken care. When getting to my area I walk around to make sure all the outer doors are locked. Then I check my supply inventory in each area to make sure the necessary products are fully stocked. If not I write down what I need and get the list to the supervisor. In each of my areas I am responsible for cleaning carpets, hardwood, bathrooms, and showers. Each different surface requires a certain chemical to be properly cleaned.
Pros
the benefits greatly help out
Cons
the hours i am working 10pm-6:30am m-th, f 5pm-1:30am

4.4