The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is a nationwide network of people dedicated to working together to advance research, support patients and create hope for those affected by pancreatic cancer. We have experienced significant growth in recent years and are seeking a strategic and results oriented leader to fill the role of Director of Community Outreach.
Our nationwide network of almost 58 volunteer-run affiliates powers our organization’s rapid growth. Volunteer’s activities mirror our national efforts and include outreach to Members of Congress, healthcare professionals and media in an effort to raise awareness and support the pancreatic cancer community. Volunteer-driven events help raise both funds and awareness and range in size and event type from community walks/runs, marathons to golf tournaments, galas and more.
Reporting to the Vice President of Community Engagement, this position will be responsible for overall strategy, planning, revenue growth, implementation, organizational development and oversight of the Community Outreach program and the national volunteer affiliate network. This will include providing guidance and direction to senior managers and the Community Outreach department in all matters related to financial, organizational development and structure, event planning, fundraising, volunteer recruitment and retention, awareness activities and outreach.
Specific duties of the position will include:
- Ensure strong working relationships and shared goals between affiliates across the country, Community Outreach staff and Headquarters to facilitate common commitments to and delivery of mission.
- Oversee organizational development of volunteer affiliate structure and operations of the Community Outreach program.
- Ensure fundraising events grow in a controlled manner to provide the greatest ROI in terms of revenue and participation while using staff and volunteer time and organizational resources efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure the protection of the organization’s not-for-profit status through proactive integration of appropriate policies and processes with all volunteer programs.
- Oversee planning and facilitation of the annual Leadership Training.
- Provide regular updates to the Vice President, Community Engagement relative to the status of the affiliate operations and the Community Outreach program.
- Ensure interaction and coordination with the organization’s other departments and programs to ensure that the volunteer strategy is in sync with the organization’s overall goals and priorities.
- Oversee development and implementation of an annual strategic plan for the Community Outreach department and then monitor performance goals against the plan.
- Prepare Community Outreach program budget and oversee fiscal performance against budget.
- Oversee and manage the Volunteer Advisory Council.
- Work with Donor & Corporate Relations to generate potential sponsorship opportunities, resources for revenue, major gifts, workplace giving, professional contacts and opportunities for positioning the affiliates to expand their role within the local/regional community.
- Demonstrate measurable outcomes for the Community Outreach program including revenue growth, volunteer recruitment and retention, awareness and outreach activities, and event participation including individuals, teams and corporations.
Successful candidates will possess a Bachelors Degree and 10 years of progressively responsible non-profit experience in fundraising, event planning and volunteer management with demonstrated leadership skills.
Minimum qualifications include the following:
- Demonstrated expertise in directing volunteer-based programs
- Knowledge of program planning, budgeting, monitoring, and evaluation processes
- Demonstrated expertise in the elements of successful fundraising events
- Demonstrated expertise in affiliate/chapter organizational development
- Ability to think strategically and develop innovative solutions
- Excellent planning, organizing, and leadership/supervisory skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and executive presentation skills
- Strong customer and results orientation
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally at all levels and across diverse cultures
- Ability to facilitate progressive change
Our national headquarters are conveniently located in Manhattan Beach, California and we offer competitive salaries with an excellent benefits and group insurance package plus 401(k).
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network’s comprehensive approach to fighting pancreatic cancer is unique. We advance research, support patients, implement community outreach programs and advocate on Capitol Hill to create hope, urgency and leadership in the fight against pancreatic cancer. We are here to support the pancreatic cancer community: the patients, caregivers, healthcare professionals, researchers, volunteers and our donors.
Please direct inquires, nominations, and applications, including resume and a compelling letter of interest in confidence.