Panda Express Employee Reviews in United States

Poor Treatment of Part-Time Workers
Counter-Help/Cashier/Drive-Thru (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMarch 13, 2016
Many employees treat customers very poorly, however, receive no punishment for their actions. Part-time workers often get cheated on their pay (i.e. 3 days every two weeks should make $323 bi-monthly, several times I only made $94 bi-monthly) if complain to manager or payroll receive no answer for cheated paycheck. Do not receive a pay stub or any documented proof of pay (illegal action done by corporate). Co-workers are often extremely competitive (for no reason) barely any promotions (impacted on their amount of managers and counter leads). Hardest part of the job is getting through day confident that you will be receiving the right pay for how many hours you worked (often received less than what I should have made even during overtime). Most enjoyable part of the job is the free food.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Cheated pay, rude employees, bad managing staff, poor benefits, no documentation of pay

Comment – March 18, 2016

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would like to assist to look into your payment and set up your online pay stub account. Please contact our HR Service Center at 626-799-9898 x 6053 or email HRServiceCenter@PandaRG.com.

Average Job with friendly Coworkers.
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me running back and fourth between the kitchen and the back of the restaurant cooking food when needed, washing dishes, and cleaning just about everything. The manager and other co-workers were some genuinely kind people, but a couple of them were easily stressed by the mass of people who came in during rushes. So occasionally I took it on myself to try and calm/ease the situation by stepping into the line to assist the flow of people. The hardest part of the job was working with the other cooks who did not speak english, but at the same time that was my favorite part because it allowed to practice my Spanish.
Pros
Free Meals, Enhancing my Spanish, Many hours.
Cons
None to little benefits, Late nights.
Best Restaurant Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 25, 2016
For "Front of House"associates, you will have to set up serving area, stock to-go boxes and plates. Greet customers, give samples and up sale.

I learned register system

They are very good at giving promotions and raises.

If you are willing to learn they will teach you.

I learned how to do everything in the store, I just didn't have a passion for working in a restaurant.
Pros
Free lunch, bouneses
Cons
Can have long day
Fast delicious Chinese food to go !
Counter help (Current Employee) –  3571 North freeway, Sacramento, CA 95838November 8, 2015
Panda Express is my first job, but through out working with Panda Express i acquired many skills and over came many challenges. Panda Express has strict management and moves at a fast pace, customers are always first. Customer service is important, next is cleaning. Our appearance gives people the motive to stay and eat or just leave. My coworkers are my favorite part of my job, they make the experience enjoyable. I prefer an environment to be friendly and comfortable, coworkers can help teach you a lot about your job and the expectations held by the higher positions. Panda Express gives a raise every six months.
Pros
Free lunches, good hours
Cons
short breaks
Fast-paced and people-oriented company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 16, 2015
Panda Express pays a competitive rate and has great benefits and advancement opportunities. Because of this, and the success of the company, the expectations for its workers tend to be higher than your average fast food establishment. The work at Panda Express is not to be taken lightly, but it is perfect for people who do not shy from hard work, have great interpersonal skills, and an eye for detail.
Pros
Free food on break, insurance (dental, vision, health, and life), 401(k), 20% friends and family discount, advancement opportunities, 6 mo. review raises.
Cons
high expectations, work nights/weekends/holidays.
a typical day working at panda
LEAD COUNTER HELP (Current Employee) –  montclair CAOctober 21, 2015
the management is very poor. they expect too much from you. dealing with customer demands can be exhausting. I was training to be assistant manager and was told that if i wanted to be "considered" for the position i had to attend this 2 day cult-like seminar that i had to pay for my self $700 dollars located in LA which i was not gonna get paid for the days being there. I would not get reimbursed either.it is not worth moving up for only 1 dollar raise. It is all politics they will only promote you if they like you even if you are ready for the position or not.
Pros
flexible hours, free meals
Cons
poor management, cult like "panda way", its all politics if you wanna move up
Productive and Passionate, interactive workplace
FOH (Former Employee) –  Kendall, FLOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at Panda Express would be a routine that I'd come to enjoy because of our customs and beliefs. The management and staff are open minded and attentive, ensuring customer needs are satisfied and creating a feeling of family with the crew. Communication was easy and smooth between everyone, we all spoke our minds and were comfortable with each other to a professional level. Everyday we had specific tasks scheduled to maintain a clean and presentable workplace while evenly distributing the tasks among employees so it wouldn't eventually bear down and pressure us. I was very passionate about meeting customers needs, if it was extra sauce or a recommendation; I was more than happy to satisfy.
Pros
Free lunches, medical benefits, reasonable lunch breaks
Cares about Employee Welfare
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 21, 2016
This company does well. My location was a brand new store in the TriCities Area and was difficult to get on the right track. However, sticking with the company gets you quite a lot of benefits for your well being.
Pros
Free Meal and Discounted Dinners!
Cons
Lack of Management in a new location
Great oppurtunity for growth
Front of House/Back of House (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 14, 2016
I did enjoy working for this company, however the management could've been better. I advanced, while with the company. They are good with their raises.
Pros
Employee discounts/shoe advances/paid vacation
Cons
short breaks, management team
Over-worked, Under-paid
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Grove, UTDecember 14, 2015
Long hours, minimal training, no real help or support from upper management, no praise and little encouragement, upper management store visits are only stressful and not geared toward training or coaching.
ok working place
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 15, 2016
nice first time job. nice employees. great benefits. great flexibility. ok working conditions. extra dumb tasks assigned to you.ok pay. good trust.
Pros
benifits
Cons
working conditions
Hard work that pays okay
Cook (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 17, 2015
At Panda Express you will be worked hard and have very high expectations to meet. Managers demand perfection and aren't afraid to tell you when you don't meet that mark. Although I understand the need to work well, I don't believe I've ever worked for a company so hard and not been paid well for it. Also, moving up is simple if you do your job correctly, but, managers will sometimes take a while to get their part of the paperwork and/or tests done in order to get that promotion. All in all I would say Panda Express is a place to work short term unless you sprint your way to the top, otherwise the pay and effort is not worth it.
Pros
Free lunch, friendly coworkers, good benefits
Cons
exhausting work loads, working for perfectionists
Busy and productive team working
Cashier, cook and shift leader (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 6, 2015
A typical day was busy during lunch and dinner rush hours with a fast pace. We provide exceptional dining and customer experience through working together to get guest their food in a correct and timely manner while maintaining the lobby and steam table clean and pleasing to the guest. The manager is a wonderful guy that will help anywhere that he is needed, will give you the push you need to get through the rest of the shift and will take care of anything that needs to be done if we are busy with guest up front. He encourages everyone to do their best and move up in the company. Although we are all human and all have our characters, we can all work together to get through the rush hours without having to fight with one another to get stuff done fast and correct. Being able to talk to the guest on a personal level as well as just getting them their food is one of the best things about the job. Our regulars are known by name and hold personal conversations throughout the day. On the other hand, the hardest part about the job is also taking care of irate guest and standing on your feet the whole day.
Pros
excellent benefits, managment, and atmosphere
Cons
constantly busy with a line almost a mile long
Consistent yet somewhat shady
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 14, 2015
The work environment total depends on the team you work with and the treatment between coworkers can be uneven at times. Upper management for the most part are pretty much can are less when it come to the concerns of the employees, as for the in store managers it really depends on the personality of the individual. The job offers consistent work as long as you apply yourself and show integrity, but the company is pretty shady when comes to proper compensation.
Pros
Free Lunch, Benefits
Cons
Upper Management, work environment
good environment for work
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 15, 2015
good environment for work and good benefits. Good standards. Good team. good food. good management. good culture. safe place to work.
Fast Simple but Rewarding
Operations Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Banos, CASeptember 23, 2015
Panda Express is always looking for help with almost every position. My position consumes most of my downtime, but the pay is nice. They offer medical, dental, and 401k if you get full time. Sometimes the staff can be a little difficult to deal with but if you can pull through and keep up with the pace its a great place to start and move up. I've made a lot of connections volunteering to work for other Pandas in my area and people have come to know my name and that's a great feeling.
Pros
2 Free Meals, Great Benefits
Cons
Little down time, short breaks
Who doesn't love food?
Front of the House (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 30, 2015
A typical day of work consists of being able to plan the next step ahead of time by prepping certain foods and being able to multi task! From serving customers, promoting items, to ringing them up. As well as maintaining a clean steam table and dining area at all times.
The management was pretty on point and accommodating due to me having school, the co workers were amazing, we treated each other like sisters and brothers.
Hardest part is when customers insult me saying "you don't know English? Why are u working here?" when the kitchen fan is super loud.
Most enjoyable part about this job was being able to meet a bunch of people and kinda see what interesting jobs they had.
Pros
Free lunch, able to be promoted or get a raise
Cons
higher managament insulted me about my weight
Poor managment.
Counter Help (Current Employee) –  Boulder City, NVDecember 28, 2015
Working at panda, I made good money, the work wasn't that bad, we worked long hours but got paid well, but my manager in Boulder City, NV seemed to care less about the lives of his employees. Working there, I honestly felt like he didn't care if I lived or died. During my current week, I am working 6 DAYS WHILE MY MANAGER HAS 3 DAYS OFF. Vacation days are not allowed. he doesn't care if you're sick or injured or have a dying family member he will tell you to "drink lots of water" and come to work for him. Our store has such bad turn over and it's because of HIM! DO NOT WORK AT THE PANDA EXPRESS IN BOULDER CITY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE A SLAVE!!!!!!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
poor management
Fun but Hard Work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2016
Usually I go to work after class. I go in already knowing what needs to be done. Most of the team members get along well. My biggest concern is the management. I don't know how the promotional process goes, but I know a lot more new people were given promotions before the people that had been working there since the store's grand opening. We got plenty of breaks, and the job is not too hard. But the rules were not consistent across the board. It sort of felt like certain rules only applied to certain people, but I would blame that on the management. I liked my job, but I wish the management was more fair/unbiased.
Pros
Free lunch, decent pay
Cons
Favortism, Stays open too late
Great first job!
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 24, 2016
This job was extremely good, just long stressful days. The hours are bad with barley at time off. Management was decent but not great.
Pros
Good pay, free lunch
Cons
bad managment, bad time managment, long stressful days!!