Panda Express Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible management but an okay place to work
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 14, 2016
I liked working at Panda when I first started, but we got a new manager who is not very good at their job. We are always short on things because they don't do inventory well. My schedule as well as others I've talked to are messed up often, which would explain why I'm asked if I can come in to work almost every time I have a day off. There is just too much you are required to do and not enough time to do it. Everyone in the front has to help people in the back because the work isn't divided equally at all. The only good part is you get free food, but after a while it's just not worth it. Our manager makes us do things their way, which is usually inefficient and not the way I was originally shown by my first manager. And there are visits to our store by higher up manager often and our manager freaks out that everyone has to have everything perfect which makes those days and the day before awful to work because there's so much extra to do.
Pros
Free Food, decent pay
Cons
bad management, stressful days, constantly asked to cover shifts
ok
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  el cajonDecember 5, 2015
it is an ok company to work for a few years nothing long term
scheduling is horrible
work holidays
don't get off until 8 pm or 11 pm
Pros
salary
Cons
schedule
Work experience at Panda Express
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 9, 2016
Working at Panda Express has taught me many useful skills, such as time management, organization, and communication skills. It has taught me how to balance a job and college schedule and develop a sense of independence. It has also taught me to characterize the important tasks and accomplish them in an orderly fashion. This job has also taught how to manage and communicate with customers in the best way possible according to the situation upon given.
Pros
Free meals, flexable schedule and really good pay rate
Cons
Short staff, hot environment, physical exhaustion
Was a fun work enviorment at times, co-workers were friendly
Dishwasher/Cook (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIMarch 5, 2016
Washing dishes and preparing food was a typical day. I learned how to use a wok and how to properly cut and prepare food. management was friendly and very helpful. They would be there anytime you needed help. The co-workers were also very nice and helpful. They made you feel welcome while working. The hardest part was like any restaurant, sometimes it can get very busy and you have to try and keep up with all the orders to the best of your abilities. The most enjoyable part was learning how to use the wok. I found it interesting since I had never before used a wok before working here
fast pace
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Lake Elsinore, CAJune 30, 2016
Panda Express is a fast past kitchen, your always doing something.
In Panda Express i learned a lot of things like how to use a knife, how to sharpen a knife, how to use a wok. The management there was good, always telling us how good we are doing and on what we need to improve. My co-workers where always friendly and always helpful to each other. The hardest part of that job was the end of the day,the cleaning part, because we had to make sure that everything was super clean for the morning shift. For me the most enjoyable part was when i would be cooking because it would be from one dish to another all night.
Pros
free lunch
It is a good job for kids in high school or college
top-notch customer service (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOJune 30, 2016
The typical day at work includes interacting with management, coworkers, and customers. Cooperation and teamwork are essential skills to learn for the typical day, to make sure things run smoothly. Overall, everyone was relatively easy to work with, and management was agreeable. The hardest part of the job is making sure all team members to cooperate for the entire shift, and the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing everyone's hard work paying off.
Pros
Free meals, higher than average pay, benefits
Cons
Frequently under-staffed, high turn-over rates
Great job, Friendly co-workers, and great customers service.
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAAugust 14, 2016
My review of this job is that it's an overall great job! The only reason I left this job is because, I got carpool tunnel. I learned how to cut, and prepare food properly. I learned how to cook Chow mein, and fried rice. The management tried their best. My co-workers were so friendly, and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was cooking 15lbs of chow mein. The best part of this job was always being welcomed walking into the restaurant.
Pros
Free lunches, Long breaks, and Good service
Cons
Being hit with grease while cooking, and getting Carpool tunnel.
comfortable and safe enviornment.
counter help/PIC (Former Employee) –  Portland INTL' air port Portland OregonFebruary 14, 2016
my job was simple but there was always a way to grow in the company. I learned a lot about managerial experience and began taking the tests to become an AM. Panda made it easy to go to school and work at the same time. My co workers were easy to get along with and I was able to form friendships that have still lasted to this day. The hardest part of this job was the location. Working at the airport there were government regulations put in place that other stores did not have to go through. the Most enjoyable part of this job was learning about business in general and the things it takes a business to run successfully in todays world.
Pros
flexible hours, great management, great learning enviornment
Cons
sometimes having to complete tasks above paid skill level.
Hard work and dedication with Panda Express
Kitchen Help (Current Employee) –  Crestwood, ILApril 25, 2016
Working with Panda Express really gave me the opportunity to grow and exceed levels of hard work that i would have not thought i was capable of doing. The management was O.K, i felt as though my time in training could have been taken more serious. On a regular day i was able to open and close the restaurant with no hesitation. Working with others was not a problem, when someone was weak in one area we all worked together to build upon it. Most hardest part about working there was the amount of hours i received, i felt overwhelmed at one point working over 40+ hours a week. My job came easy to me after being so used to working there that just being there was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
free lunch, good communication
Cons
bad training.
A Day At Panda Express
Team member (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNApril 28, 2016
A typical day at work, when you first go into the store, the back coworkers are always there to welcome you. Depending on when you work, there will always be more coworkers there before you or else you're going to be helping opening the store. For a person like me, I usually go to work around 12pm which coworkers and a whole line of customers waiting for their food. The coworkers at this point are not in the best mood. I don't understand why it's always me that they want to put their anger against but they will. The most hardest part of the job is when everyone is mad at you and you don't understand what you did wrong, especially when it's been a long day
Pros
Long breaks, Free lunches
Cons
not a lot of short breaks, not enough opportunity
Panda
Kitchen Help (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 29, 2016
One thing that I miss about working at Panda is the employees and management. They're really friendly people. I feel like a part of another family every time I walk into Panda. The manager and assistant manager is also very nice people. They help out their employees whenever they can. I learned a lot from them too. A typical day at Panda will be going to work and start on the dishes because only one worker there is responsible for washing it all and sometimes they're busy to wash everything. I wash the dishes until the front calls for fried rice or chow mein. Then, I would start on those until I'm done then back to the dishes. It's simple and repetitive. The hardest thing about the job is during rush hours, especially when I'm working in the back alone. I have to cook the chow and fried rice (also white rice) while setting and flipping the teriyaki chickens on the grill. I have to check if we have enough clean dishes and if we don't, I have to wash it for the cook. Other than that, it's a fairly simple job.
Pros
Free meals, great management
Cons
Hours
Productive and fun work place; lots of energy; teamwork and business development.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 1, 2016
First duty is Clock-in and wash hands; prepare work station; And then start working.
I have learned to analize and gradualy complete tasks and provide help and assistance for fellow employees.
Management is great, not to tuff but understanding; during the time i was work at Panda Express.
Co-Workers were good; during the time i was working at Panda.
The hardest part of the job I would say is during rush hour when it has a lot of costumers.
The most enjoyable part of the job is you can have a plate of the good food.
Pros
Fast Learning environment, Good Breaks in between Shifts, Great Salery
Cons
Not much benefits for example like Healthcare, and 401k
worst job ever
Cook (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 29, 2015
Do not ever ever ever work here you are treated like the scum of the earth. You will work yourself to death for menial pay and no benifits
Productive, fun, competitive workplace
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day consists of arriving early and making sure your uniform is neat and presentable. Upon clocking in, I learned to check if anything needed to be stocked or preppared for the shift. Management was always present and ready to teach. Coworkers were always friendly and ready to correct each other's mistakes. The coworkers always challenged each other to do their jobs better. The hardest part of the job was the major rushes during lunchtime and again during dinner time. It was physically tiring for back of the house members because we have to be constantly filling up the steam table. The most enjoyable part was the friendly guests who came in and fun coworkers who made the long shift more enjoyable.
Pros
free meals, vacation/sick hours
Cons
short break if you worked 6 hour or less shift
A day in the life of an Panda Express Associate
Associate (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 19, 2016
A typical day at Panda is constantly being on your feet and always doing something. Whether it be serving guests their food, handling money, stocking, cleaning, anything. You're guaranteed to be kept busy.

From Panda, I've learned a lot. I've learned how to balance work, school, hobbies, and how to be prepared for anything and everything. My management team is great, they push you to do better at your job which in turn will incorporate into your everyday life. Coworkers are awesome because we were or are students and working at Panda. So we understood the struggle of being a working student which created a solid bases for friendships making us a closer team and helps the store run more smoothly.

The hardest part of the job would be the most enjoyable and that would be the unexpectedness of it all. Because besides being physically on your feet all the time, you're kept on your toes so you're learning something new everyday.
Pros
Free food on shift, 20% discount, hours are good but can be grueling sometimes.
Cons
If you're not used to a lot of work very frequently, you can burnout very quickly.
If you need money go for it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 26, 2016
I did not enjoy my time working for this restaurant. Management and the people from corporate came in and try to bully employees. You are treated like the middle man if a customer is angry they are upset with in which in a situation it is out of your element. I used to work drive thru and would blame for the service in the front of the house. Managers don't care about you so don't give this food chain passion or energy if they are short handed than so be it.
Pros
Minimum wage
Cons
Management, Corpoarte, and almost everything underneath the sun
Very friendly and conducive working enviornment.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 11, 2016
A normal shift started around 5 p.m. Once I arrived, I immediately began working. I would put on an apron and hairnet, then place my hat on. After that I would wash my hands as I relieved the person from mid-day shift. I then put on my gloves and began servicing the customers. Then after fixing their order I would ring them up and complete their transaction. In any down time, I would off the counters and my works pace, sweep, do dishes, re-stock everything and/or cook. My co-workers were always very fun-loving, hardworking, and extremely cooperative when it came down to completing tasks. The hardest part of my job was running the entire front line by myself when we had a dinner rush. The most enjoyable part of working for me, was being able to spend pretty much my entire shift talking to new people and occasionally chatting with regular customers, and honestly just seeing the smiles on the faces of the customers truly made working as much and as hard as I did for as long as I did worth-while.
Pros
Free emplyee meals at two locations that were alos on campus.
Cons
Extremely busy during long rushes, Limited breaks.
Enlightening Vision and Values; Inspiring CEO
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 14, 2015
I met the CEO of the company about a year into being a General Manager at Panda Restaurant. He was a very humble, caring, and inspirational figure. The company itself has very strong values and a culture centered on people and people development. This allows room for growth, particularly for those with strong communication skills. Work week is long. Hours range from 10am-11pm depending on how well trained your team is.
Pros
Free food, 401K, Health Benefits
Cons
Long hours, physical labor
Enjoyable and Healthy Environment
Counter Help/Cashier/PIC (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJuly 27, 2016
Panda helped me to expand my knowledge on customer satisfaction and high quality of work. It made me grow to be a better host and a person, in general. I learned how to multitask, work in a fast pace environment, acknowledge different opinions and much more. The skills I received under a great management gave me the ability to work in any type of environment and would surely benefit me further on in life.
Pros
Free lunches, family and friends discounts, team building exercises
Hate that place! Over worked under paid
cook (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJune 19, 2016
walk in to worst attitude of a manager, pick up after their mess, run around with your head cut off, do prep, dishes, serve, cook, clean and answer phone calls as well as tend to guests for NO MORE than 11 an hr! unless you sign your soul to managment for 80+ hrs a week and Still a 14/hr pay. forget it. the co workers hate their lives and all the food is in packages that are constantly damaged and i have NEVER SEEN ANY MEAT LOOK THE SAME TWICE! you know that means its nasty before it even got there! ew!
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panda Express. Our community is ready to answer.