Panda Express

Panda Express Employer Reviews

Fun workplace with an arcade.
Lead Counter (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is interact with different customers. At the same time making sure they are 100% satisfied with service and food.
great starting job
Lead Counter (Former Employee), riverside,caMay 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch, employee discounts
Cons: not enough hours or pay.
a typical day would be serving guests, charging, and keeping the dining room clean. i learned to work as a team, help others, and to give great customer service. management wasn't very strong but i made do with what little there was. i met some great people but also some people who weren't very cooperative, but i always pulled through my shifts. the – more... hardest part of the job was keeping all customers happy. some people can be really difficult to work with. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting praised by the people who enjoyed my service and company. – less
A lot of work for not so much pay
Front of House Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2014
Pros: free food, great management
Cons: 10 minute breaks to eat a plate of food, wage
I think Panda Express, if you're a dedicated worker and have the time to spend your life there, is a great place to work you way up into management. If you really put a lot of your time and effort it seems very possible. What I like about Panda is that unlike most places it is a private company. Which means that the family that owns Panda Express makes – more... sure that their restaurants are help and higher standards that most places. I often heard that if can make it in Panda Express then you can make it most other fast food restaurants. They work really well in training people and focusing on their growth. Panda Express puts a lot of focus on its employees. I'm just reviewing from my experience though. I can't speak for other. I would recommend my friends to work there. The only thing I didn't really like was that most of coworkers and I didn't get much hours. I would probably only have 15 hours a week. I think that varies from store to store though. I would hear from my manager that it had to do with labor cost. Also we would work pretty hard. Harder than most other places, but we got payed around the same. I guess that's my fault though, because I never went up to the manager to ask if I could work on moving up in management. – less
became skilled in cash handling and interacted with customers all day.
Cashier/Drive Thru/Server/Greeter (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLMay 20, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks, hours
Learned cash handling and interacted with customers on a daily basis. I loved my team members and my managers. The pay could have been better for the amount of work.
fast and friendly
Cook (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMay 20, 2014
Pros: good food and breaks
I learned how to cook everything there in 2 weeks. It was a real friendly environment.
Hired because of friends
Counter Help (Former Employee), NCMay 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch, discount, sampling
Cons: management, picky customers, favoritism
My manager was only hired because he knew the regional manager (which turned out to be a big mistake because he ran one of the locations into the ground, forcing it to close). But I still liked him at first. The only thing he demanded from me was to upsell the egg rolls and spring rolls and etc. But gradually he just hid in the back corner on the computer – more... doing whatever. Anyway, the employees were really cool. The customers made me hate people in general. The regulars always wanted stuff freshly cooked even if we just cooked it on their way to the store from their car. THE CUSTOMERS ARE THE WORST PART OF THE JOB. I learned how to keep in what I really wanted to say. – less
Working for Panda Express as a manager is ok it is not the best job. their expectations are just way too much for the amount they are willing to pay.
Manager (Current Employee), Oceanside CAMay 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: you don't always get to take a lunch
Everything that they expect from a manager for the pay is not really worth all of the trouble of always trying to impress the higher up because they always really look for whats wrong and hardly ever recognize the efforts of employees.
Panda Express really cares
LEAD COUNTER (Former Employee), Montclair, CAMay 12, 2014
Cons: short breaks
Panda Express is an amazing company to work for. Not only because it is easy to climb your way up, but because the company really cares for you to reach your goals. Starting as a sales associate yes the job is hard, serving food and dealing with hungry customers. However it's enjoyable because no hard work goes unnoticed.
The Panda Way
Person in Charge (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMay 12, 2014
Pros: break with meal included during morning shift, employees, management, company view and benefits
Cons: number of tasks allocated to one person, no break for afternoon/night shift.
To start off the review I should first clarify that the "quick service" food industry is not exactly my cup of tea. That being said: Panda Express is a great company to work for. Through working there I have learned to organize my day into tasks and take things one step at a time. When working drive through I am responsible for taking every drive through – more... order, creating every plate, and accepting payment from every guest who comes through that venue. My typical day involves running back and forth between the steam table and drive through window, keeping food on the steam table, and organizing the drive through and steam table areas.
While fast food isn't my cup of tea, it is teaching me to adapt to situations that may not be optimal. For example: In my view, if we had 4 employees instead of 3 working front of house things would run smoother. However, according to the Panda Express employment policies our restaurant is not making enough to allow for that. So I have to adapt and mentally organize myself more in order to get everything done in the day that I need to.
My management and co-workers have are also a huge help when at work. Everyone that I work with is understanding and will help out when they see that someone else is overburdened. In addition management is not afraid to jump in and do the grunt work when things get behind. Unfortunately, many of the co-workers are also just fine calling out whenever something comes up or they don't feel like going to work, and it puts a lot of extra pressure on those of us who get hit with the extra hours filling up when they thought they were going to get off early or not have to stay all day at the restaurant.
This brings me to the hardest part about working at Panda Express: The sheer amount of tasks one person has to get done in a shift. As I mentioned above, the person on drive through is usually the sole associate working the window. The front counter has two associates usually during busy hours, and so one person can create plates and one person can check customers out and make sure everything is in order. On Drive Through? That all falls on one person. If the guest at the window has a question we usually have to answer that question while listening on our ear-piece to someone trying to create an order, and because of this it's hard to really help unless we're on a slow patch. This is similar in the Back of House: One person is trying to prep, keep up with washing dishes, and cook our side dishes when we need them, usually without a break. After the rushes are through I usually look back and think "oh, yeah it's fine we got through it", but in my eyes it makes so much more sense just to have one extra employee working able to create plates for drive through, or to have one extra employee in the back who is also able to help with dishes or prep.
As I said above, fast food is not my cup of tea. However, the people I work with make the job bearable. I can honestly say that if management had not been who they were, or the co-workers had been different, that I probably would have kept looking for a different job rather than try to figure out how to manage all the tasks I was given and try to fit into the fast food niche.
That being said, the reason I am now looking for a new job is because drive through is mentally draining, and the guests who talk on the phone at the order station trying to find out what their husbands/girlfriends/children want don't make it any easier. – less
work place
Cashier/Chef (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 9, 2014
 Taking orders, reporting total sales of the day back to manager.
 Assisting servers to serve customers well, help all around the work area.
 Train new employees for the front line, and as well as the back in the kitchen.
 Maintain food cost analysis, inventory, budgeting, and purchasing.
 Handle cash and calculate daily transactions for the drawer.
Invigorating
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 6, 2014
Fast paced, learned quickly, got stuff done. I would come in , start cleaning and attending to customers, did whatever I was told to do.
Good workplace and always learn something new
Cook (Current Employee), Visalia, CAApril 30, 2014
Pros: free lunches, decent benefits
Cons: sometimes breaks get you backed up in your tasks
A typical work day at Panda Express is very interesting. In the morning it is slow, and that's when you prep your vegetables, which every vegetable is cut and prepped fresh. Towards the afternoon, business seems to pick up. I learned a lot of things here at Panda Express, things that I never thought I would ever learn like cutting vegetables, how to – more... cook, and cleaning up a kitchen.
Management was very efficient and always were on top of things. The GM always made sure things were being carried out correctly, especially because the area managers (ACO's) were always there. I believe that is good though to make sure all the correct rules and regulations are carried out.
Co-workers all varies on areas, honestly. The area of the store seems to be the type of people that employ the store. The hardest part of the job is just making sure you cut the vegetables the correct size and everything is the correct temperature. The most enjoyable part of the job is just learning how to cook different dishes, and different ingredients involved in cooking these dishes. – less
Great place to work with fast up beat customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee), Roseburg, ORApril 28, 2014
Pros: alot of hours
Cons: not alot of room to grow as an associtate
Taking Temperatures, helping customers
How to work in a fast paced environment
Great management
Great Co-workers easy to get along with
being available for all the extra hours
Working and meeting all sorts of new people
Very busy and fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee), Dallas, TxApril 26, 2014
A typical day at work is greeting, serving, and charging mall customers and employees.
Okay job if you're in high school.
Store Server/Cashier (Current Employee), Oregon City, ORApril 24, 2014
Pros: free lunches, paychecks.
Cons: angry customers, manager only hires people who doesn't speak english.
Day consists of, running and serving angry customers. But at least my co-workers were nice.
Productive clean work place Full of love
Lead Cashier (Current Employee), Burien, WAApril 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch, discount, lots of benefits
Cons: stressful
The culture here is amazing, we care about our customers and we do things right every time. We believe in working hard and going the extra mile to do ensure happiness and correctiveness.
Productive with a variety of task
Kitche Help (Former Employee), Laughlin, NVApril 17, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: short breaks
A busy place, learned kitchen duties, and a little cooking. nice work environment and nice people.
a fun work place. love working with my coworkers and putting a smile on customers faces
Customer Service (Current Employee), Everett, WAApril 14, 2014
Pros: take all the breaks we need
Cons: bad managing. rude customers at times
a typical day at work is usually slow. i have been working for panda express for almost 4 years and management hasn't got any better. new managers all the time but they do not do there job very well at all. i love working with certain coworkers
Does not deliver on committments
Energy Manager (Former Employee), Rosemead CAApril 9, 2014
I would rather not make comments about Panda. I have nothing positive to say. I would not recommend that anybody apply there.
Great coworkers, family environment of hard workers.
Busser/Host/Server Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2014
Pros: coworkers, good food
Cons: one week schedules always subject to change, slow advancement, unstable pace of work.
Days are never the same. Always different customers and changing environment, new challenges every day. Managers are helpful and knowledgeable. Hardest part of the job is the unpredictable nature in pace and schedule. The coworkers have become a second family for me but the slow rate of advancement has made it necessary to seek employment elsewhere.