Panera Bread
2,147 reviews

Panera Bread United States Employee Reviews

Great first job
Cashier and Barista Associate (Former Employee), Lake Grove, NYApril 20, 2015
Pros: Half off meals on lunch breaks
Cons: irresponsible management
Naturally a job in food service is a great first job. It doesn't require too much experience and is a great way to learn about the working world. However the managers at this particular Panera seemed to not take responsibility for all of their actions. I had put my availability as unavailable for Saturdays as I was teaching dance classes that day. If I was ever scheduled that day and told the manager I couldn't work on a Saturday they told me to find coverage or I would be written up for not coming to work. If I had stated my availability, why is it my responsibility to fix their mistake? And why is it my fault if I had told them that I couldn't be there from the beginning? Managers aside, the job was good. Fast paced and never boring. There is always something to do which makes the day go faster.
fun place to work
Restaurant worker (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAApril 20, 2015
everyday working there was fun, with all the customers and co-workers, it was very easy for the work day to go by. management was easy to work with and food was great/
Too few employees
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee), Sunset Hills, MOApril 20, 2015
Pros: bagels for breakfast
Cons: no breaks except a half hour lunch and high stress environment
Panera has too few employees in its support center to handle the call volume it receives. The work environment and morale have gone down significantly, and there have been many times where agents aren't allowed to go to the bathroom when necessary because of the high call volume and calls in queue. The management does not seem to care about their employees at all, just get those calls answered, and they haven't hired enough people to handle these calls. People should be able to go to the bathroom when they need to without asking and being made to wait until they can barely hold it.
pb
Cashier, prep, dishwasher (Former Employee), Richmond, CAApril 20, 2015
Pros: good lunch
Cons: bad management
i loved panera but did not like managment i dont have much to say about panera bread that i love the idea of the company and the atomsphere
The people that I worked with were awesome
Catering Coordinator/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLApril 20, 2015
It was a tough job, very fast paced. Loved the challenge of the every day deliveries. Loved the money I made when it was really busy. The Management was very hands on with all the employee's.
Considerable for a first job!
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Oak Creek, WIApril 19, 2015
Pros: Food discount, social atmosphere, good smells
Cons: limited break, limited social freedom, stressful, very fast-paced, disagreements with coworkers, too much reliance at times
I must say as a corporation, they really over exaggerate advancement opportunities that get repeated throughout the hiring and training process. In my experience/journey with Panera Bread, it's seemingly only an entry level job just to get a simple example of what working a minimum wage job in the world is like. A raise could happen, but even at notable performance after an entire year, you'd only get bumped up a quarter, and another if they decide to make you a trainer.. it does build up over time, but the time investment is too much for what they give you, a manager I knew only got paid around 10/11 dollars an hour after being there for several years.

For such a large corporation, Panera Bread can definitely give a heftier wage - if that was done, I guarantee associates would stay for the long term. Great for a first job, first experience, but don't expect it to become a career (most individuals don't).
Incredible culture
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lathrup Village, MIApril 19, 2015
fast paced morning, with unbelievable culture. At Panera Bread i grew close to customers from taking their orders, and being one of the first people to see them on a daily basis. I did basically an hour of food preparation, and also washed dishes during down time.
Fun workplace with great food
Cashier (Former Employee), Vero Beach, FLApril 19, 2015
Pros: employee discount and social environment
Cons: hours and short staff
It was fun to work there however, nearly every night work ran past the legal time for minors and it was very understaffed, which meant coming in on nearly all of my days off and working all day. I don't mind the work, i actually like working, however they always seemed to depend on me coming in on my days off.
fast paced area
cashier, line, barsita, dining (Former Employee), Delray Beach, FLApril 19, 2015
Pros: 50% discounts
Cons: poor management
productive, fast paced working area, with great music. Most customers are nice. Management can be better. employees are very nice.
learning experince
Overnight Baker (Former Employee), East norriton PAApril 18, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not enough hours, some difficult people to deal with
I would come to work do my usual routine, set oven, proofbox, make sure to check with closing manager to see if there was an special orders for the morning, and then begin pulling product out of the cooler to begin my days task.
Productive clean work environment with great management
Cashier (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 17, 2015
Pros: Free bakery food at the end of the night, Great Management
Cons: N/A
It was very fun working for Panera Bread. You always stay active so time flies by. Management was amazing, very genuine. I loved how they advanced me quickly and appreciated my hard work. A typical day at work would be to take orders, make drinks, make food, wash dishes, make coffee, tend to the bakery, and clean. Management was amazing. Co-workers were good people. The hardest part about the job is remembering all of the ingredients in everything. The most enjoyable part about the job was having so many regulars.
A good 1st Job
Store Associate (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLApril 17, 2015
Pros: 1/2 off meals and drinks under $8
The one I worked at was nice except for one person.
Typical day was bussing tables, making coffee, and cashiering. I did not work the line.
nice managers with manageable coworkers.
Bakery Associate (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 17, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: soup in a bag
Panera isn't a terrible place to work, in fact i liked it okay. I worked there momentarily because of personal issues, and I wouldn't return because of said issues. The food is great and so is the discount, but my feet always hurt and their soup in a bag is pretty gross.
Good coworkers
Associate (Former Employee), Johnstown, PAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Discounted food when working
Cons: Hard to earn raises, even if you are qualified
I enjoyed my coworkers and some of the regular customers made each day wonderful. I felt that I was respected for my long time there and was treated as a senior member of the staff, but not quite management.
High Stress and Poor Management
Associate (Current Employee), Stillwater, OKApril 16, 2015
Pros: Meal discounts
Cons: 10 minute/no breaks, held at least an hour over scheduled shift time every day, makes it hard to schedule things outside of work
Because the store is incredibly understaffed, the workload of three people is put on each of the line employees, which is two people. Product continuously runs out creating more unneeded stress. Management does not listen to recommendations made by employees to help the store out. Co-workers are incredibly hard working and easy to get along with. Learned a lot about food safety. Most enjoyable part of the job is creating relationships with the regular customers who come to Panera because of the food quality and service.
productive
Dish washer (Former Employee), alexandiaApril 16, 2015
Good working area with good working habit. I got a great progress in my skill of working with coworkers and on how to work for customers and how to treat them having an excellent way getting their need and satisfying them well.
customer service at best
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 16, 2015
Pros: training and advancement
Cons: benefits and pay
loved being around customers that loved it. there was room to grow and training was provided. welcomes the oppurtunity to know more than one area of the company.
Fast pace environment, dealing with the public.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Manchester, NH.April 16, 2015
Pros: Provides health care and 401K. Fast pace work environment.
Cons: The five 10 hour days with an inconsistent schedule.
I work a minimum of 50 hours a week with a inconsistent schedule .I enjoy the employees we have and they enjoy working for me. I have learned all aspects of the job and have worked my way up over the last 11 years. I have been a part of the interviewing and hiring process, have written schedules for up to 50 employees, and have currently been taking over the food cost inventory roll. I enjoy the fast pace environment and have become better at multitasking as well as my customer service skills, but have a difficult time with the inconsistent schedule.
Fast-paced work enviorment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: No benefits offered
Not everyday is the same. We serve many guests that walk in the doors and some regulars that have become a family to Panera. It is a very fast paced work environment that serves safe food with accuracy.
it was a challenging job
Baker Training Specialist (Former Employee), Destin , Fl.April 16, 2015
Pros: free lunches, mileage, benefits
Cons: the change in management was frequent.
Train bakers , do payroll, on call 24/7. i learned all aspects of the bake team and standards. the management was confusing . you had alot of people to answer to. all my bakers were great. and they respected me and counted on me. covering a shift in an emergency . the most enjoyable was the bake teams and there pride in the product they baked for our customers.

1 2 3 4 5

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more

Panera Bread Salaries