Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 5,205 reviews matching the search
Great Place to Work, but Not for Me.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAApril 29, 2017
The average day at Panera varies wildly depending on how busy it is and which managers are in. If there is a large number of customers, everyone will understandably be stressed and struggling to keep up, while a slow day will have many people relaxing, and a few managers struggling to keep you occupied.

However, it is still a very relaxed workplace, even with some of the managers being rather eager to pretend we're busy.
Pros
60% employee discount, good food, relaxed workplace, friendly managers, $5 an hour wage when driving
Cons
Employees no longer receive yearly raises (it was replaced by electronic tipping), drivers are paid no extra and use their own vehicle, drivers are not paid extra if they do not make minimum wage through tips
Cooptive Envoriment with many smiles and joys.
Food Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 29, 2017
My day starts with checking the food supplies for the day. If there is something low or missing, I would check the back freeze for what I need. Passing by the manager's office which is open and inviting for communication. After my area is prepared for the busy day, I would greet the employees and customers. Most of the employees are team members and our customers are our family and friends. I had to learn people's names and faces. Which could be daunting as we had sixty to hundred people per day. What put a smile on my face was the enviroment. Friendly, teamwork promoting coworkers that felt like age old friends. A manager was always working along side the coworkers. If something needed to be address, they had an office right there in the back.
Pros
Discounted Lunches, flexable hours.
Cons
Shortening of hours, random scheuling.
decent
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAApril 29, 2017
Panera was an ok place to work. There was just some prejudice from customers, being that I was a Black GM in a majority White area didnt work too well.
Pros
great pay
Interesting work environment
Dining Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stow, OHApril 29, 2017
Most tasks assigned to dining room associates are just unrealistic for one person. They are short staffed all the time and there are periods of little to no hours. Only supervisors eat for free. The proper equipment needed to work was always denied by corporate such as usable sweepers etc. Overall, for how over priced the food is this company has a long way to go as far as appreciating their employees.
Pros
respectful managers, great food options
Cons
pricey food options, heavy workload
Positive
Associate (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 29, 2017
Great place to start your first work experience. I've met great people and learned even more with customer service and food preparation. Prices are expensive though compared to what the workers are paid.
Panera is an interesting place to work
Cashier/Barista/Bakery associate (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 28, 2017
Panera is very flexible with schedule changes, and the managers are always willing to help if given notice. The managers can be kind of rude sometimes, and say off handed things but they can also be sweet. The only benefit of working at Panera is the 50% discount on food, and the amazing people who work there.
Pros
50% discount on food
Cons
Rude management, routine
Fun
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAApril 28, 2017
Panera is a well oriented place to work. It helps you gain a lot of skills with working with different types of people .. I love working at panera bread .
Distribution in Houston SUCKS!!!!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2017
For starters, your job and work schedule can change at any given moment! No structure what so ever in distribution!!! The Texas FDF is ran like a "Mom & Pop" facility!!!!! I was forced to work a schedule that was not told to me when I was hired!!! I would not recommend a driving career at Panera to anyone!!!! Also they aren't good when trying to get your pay straight!!!! My expense check was short and my 1st check was missing 2 days of training!!!!! Instead of the Manager fixing it he had a attitude about it!!! Sad deal!!!!!!
Pros
Free food or drink at delivery points
Cons
You can't trust the managers and your check might come up SHORT!!!
Great management
General Associate (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIApril 28, 2017
The best part about working here was the management staff. They were always very supportive and understanding. They really understood the concept of being a leader rather than a boss and it created a great atmosphere to work at.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 28, 2017
Good quality of life. Management is nice and good to work for. The customers are great and you build good relationships with the customers. If you are looking to move up with a company this company has opportunity.
Great first job, friendly environment
Cashier, Dish washer, dining room (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 28, 2017
This being my first job, I enjoyed it very much. I was quick on my feet and learned fast. It was always busy so you had to learn how to stay alert. The customers were very nice and so were my coworkers. It's a very family feeling environment.
Pros
50% off of any meal
Cons
Short breaks, have to cut beard
Nice and relaxed atmosphere, friendly coworkers
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Macon,gaApril 28, 2017
Panera bread has a lot of challenges from working with the employees to dealing with irate customers. But in all the company is a great place to work for.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No benefits
terrible working environment
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLApril 28, 2017
Bad management, rude customers, it was almost as if no one knew what was going on. A completely hectic working environment that I never wish to return to.
Pros
discounted meal
Cons
frequent unpaid breaks, late shifts
Day in the life a Sales Manager
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXApril 28, 2017
I would show up at one of my four stores, clock in at that location and then proceed to drive around the area and cold call different business to try and get them to order from Panera.
Chaos with some good sides to it.
Head Baker (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 28, 2017
Overnight baking is good for a little while but the hours and stress and life style take a toll on your mind and body slowly but surely. 2 people working together most of the time and just listening to music and getting the job done without being hassled by others for the most part is nice. I loved this job at first but it has taken a toll on my body and family time. The pay for overnight shifts should be a lot more than what Panera is willing to pay and then they expect a lot in so little time. Communication is sometimes good but for the most part it seems like a war between the bakers and associate sides of the restaurant.
Pros
Hourly paid vacation job. Listen to music all night
Cons
pay. stress.
Productive and Busy
Food Maker / Prep Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAApril 27, 2017
First Panera bread I ever worked in that had a drive thru and both ends were very busy when it came to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Getting to try new foods before the customers was really fun.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Running out of backups and feeling overwhelmed
Great place to work and advance in
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 27, 2017
This was my first job and as an associate I was given to many opportunities to advance, by 6 months I was an associate trainer. The job culture is great and really supports employee interaction.
Great company to work for.
Pan washer (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 27, 2017
unfortunately left Panera Bread's Livonia distribution center, to move back to Ohio, so that I could live another lifestyle. The work was great, the pay, the benefits, and the management were all good. The odd hours, were socially taxing, though my hobbies and interests aligned perfectly with them. The employees were pleasant, for the most part, I just didn't really fit in.
I couldn't stand being away from my friends, and not being able to participate in the full contact sport that we live for. So, I left, despite the great job.
Pros
Great company ethics, good work environment, great benefits and pay
Cons
odd hours, dirty work
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 27, 2017
good times good food good people, the management was cool. learned lots of skills. people can be mean but everyone needs to work in food and retail at least once
Management is not professional
Trainer and Server (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 27, 2017
I have not had a good experience with this restaurant. I worked here for three years, with a low hourly pay. I was a certified trainer working full time, only to realize that new employees started at a higher pay rate than myself.
Pros
Discounted meal
Cons
Poor work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.