Panera Bread
1,808 reviews

Panera Bread Employer Reviews

Review
Associae (Current Employee), OxfordNovember 24, 2014
pretty good place to work. Some days are better than others but the culture is great and the guiding values of the company are fantastic.
productive
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Barstow, CANovember 24, 2014
Very fast pace. You meet a lot of people, your are able to build relationships with your customers that are regulars and buy your product knowledge.
Do not get your hopes up for advancement.
Associate (Former Employee), Ranson, WVNovember 24, 2014
Pros: 60% off meals when on the clock. some very nice people.
Cons: no benifiets. no over time at all. bad assiociates as well as terrible management.
A typical day at Panera varied on many factors, examples include what workers closed the night before if you're morning shift, what manager was working, and what time of day/what day you were going in. Sunday mornings are crazy, and it seemed like we were never prepared for the rushes. Coming in for the afternoon shift could be horrible, especially – more... when the previous shift didn't stock anything and just tried to clock out as soon as their time was up. My coworkers mood seemed to revolve around if they wanted to go home/had plans for the day. I met some life long friends working their, but I also met people who I have no desire to ever see again. I learned management skills, and how to run the line, but again, it really came down to who was on the shift with me. A few of the managers seemed to not understand minor flaws. For example, if their was a line out the door, and all the customers were ordering multiple trays of food, two associates on the line just couldn't keep up with the demand. I understand we were supposed to work steady and not mess up orders, but their were a few times the manager on duty would sit in the office and just allow it to happen. It's a shame really, there was a point in time when I enjoyed going into work, that enjoyment left quickly as time went on. Advancement in the company is a joke as well. It seemed like no matter how hard I worked, I was stuck doing the same thing, day in and day out, with almost no hope to reach manager. – less
Fun workplace
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CANovember 23, 2014
Love this place environment, we started together as a family. I love the part that I can express my coordination about management all my team and make this environment friendly.
Produtcive, fast paced
Associate (Former Employee), Port Huron, MINovember 22, 2014
learned how to open, and close bakery. workers were great the day would go by fast with all the coustomers I learned how to make the suffles and how to hold bakery down by yourself. things are fast paced and it makes the cousomers happy
Productive and Fast paced
Catering Manager (Current Employee), Toledo, OHNovember 22, 2014
Pros: free drinks, 65% discount
Cons: short breaks, stressful
Panera is a great place to work. You learn many things such as Point Of Sales systems, speed of service and how to build routines. Co workers become your family. Without time management and speed you can easily become stressed out. Especially when you have a screen filled with orders and a delivery in 10 minutes. All in all it is a fantastic job for – more... anyone, especially students. They are always willing to work with schedules, and they're many advancement opportunities, even benefits. – less
Very fast paced
Front Line Cook (Former Employee), Winter Garden, FLNovember 21, 2014
On a typical day at Panera Bread, I would make customers orders as the cashiers rang them in. I also assisted wherever i was need around the restaurant. Managers were switched around frequently which very much so affected the workplace.
Nice coworkers, terrible scheduling, terrible customer base. It's a job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Whitesburg Drive, Huntsville, ALNovember 19, 2014
Pros: up to 10 dollar lunches on work days
Cons: short breaks, terrible customers, managers don't know how to schedule
As an associate, I would say that the worst part of Panera is the false sense of goodness. We are fast food, just like everyone else. Soups are frozen. Doughs are pre-made. Yet the customers are verbally abusive when it comes to the employees who are doing excellent jobs (my soup is too hot, why can't I have free things), more so than any other fast – more... food job I've worked, because they expect us to be an upscale bistro.
The management depends. Most of my managers have been awesome, but one manager in particular was angry because I had to call out because of illness, so the manager drastically cut my hours out of pettiness. The hardest part of the job is dealing with older, entitled, wealthier white people. They are the worst.
My coworkers are wonderful people. We are all treated like dirt, and the managers do not defend us. Pay starts at $8, which is a good thing, and they WILL try to work around your school schedule. Although, I have missed several classes because they never seem to let employees off at their scheduled times.
If you are looking for a career in food service, it might be a good match, since there are some regulars who are genuinely sweet people. They make it all worth it.
If you are looking for some more money, I'd say do it, but don't expect stable hours. – less
Exciting and demanding job
Dining Room Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 18, 2014
Pros: some overtime
Cons: not having an assitant on busy days.
My typical day at work was to keep a clean dining room. Help other co-workers when needed. Management was helpful when I was backeup as well as other co-workers. The hardest part of my job was being backed up with many dishes with no assitant. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I had a consistant asssitant.
Baker
Cashier (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 17, 2014
Was able to make pastries and bake bread for when the cafe was in need. Also assisting guests with orders.
Great Boss to Work for
Certified Trainer (Current Employee), Brunswick, OHNovember 16, 2014
Very fast paced, friendly employees. Enjoy customers. Will work with you if you need to make schedule changes.
Panera was a fast paced multi-tasking job
Manager/Trainer (Former Employee), Portage, MINovember 16, 2014
Pros: just being respected
I enjoyed Panera because the staff/management were fun and pretty compassionate. Management was sincere and also fun to work with.
Hardest part of my job was the expediting of the orders in a timely matter.
Most enjoyable, Getting along with all my co-workers, Which is at times hard to find
fun place to work co workers were awsome
DUTIES - ASSOCIATE, CASHIER (Former Employee), Mequon, WINovember 15, 2014
Pros: close to home co workers awesome
Cons: management was bad
cashier, barista, dining room cleaning, dishes, and other jobs as well
THE BAKERS LIFE
Night Baker (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 15, 2014
Pros: bakers meal up to $10.00 and testing and trying new products
WORKING FOR PANERA CAN BE REWARDING WITH OPPERTUNITIES FOR ADVANCEMENT TO MANGER PROSITIONS
Productive and fun workplace!
Hourly Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 14, 2014
We are a symbol of warmth and welcome. We are a simple pleasure, honest and genuine. We are a life story told over dinner. We are a long lunch with an old friend. We are your weekday morning ritual. We are the kindest gesture of neighbors. We are home. We are family. We are friends.

Thanks Panera LOL:}!
Fun Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 13, 2014
Enjoyed the job , worked with some pretty awesome people. The hours just weren't worth it.
If all you want is a job, you'll be fine.
Certified Baker (Current Employee), CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: $10 of free food per work day, benefits
Cons: lack of promotion incentive, horrible hours, inability to request days off even far in advance.
First off, I don't have anything much to say about the job duties themselves. They're straight forward and as to be expected in a modern day bakery-chain environment.

On the other hand, the corporation's understand of what a baker should be capable of and what is able to actually be done in a 7.5-8 hours shift is ridiculous. In the bakery manual they – more... list the amount of time it should take you to perform certain tasks...icing cookies, shaping and preparing dough, decorating product. The amount of time listed is about 2-3x the amount of time they actually expect you to take doing it, and yet they want to enforce company specifications and quality without giving you extra help. Unfortunately, the management understands this, but their hands are (somewhat) tied, and Panera makes it difficult for them to get you the help you need as well.

Working the 3rd/graveyard shift makes having a life impossible. I'm sure this is the case in any job. Somehow I managed to go to school full time and work full time because luckily my BMM was understanding, but the other manager singled me out because I was going to school and he felt I couldn't hold my job and attend classes. I never had a problem doing both until I started a serious relationship with my, now, fiancee. After my bosses caught on to the fact I was requesting weekends off and was trying to have a life, most of my requests for days off (which weren't often and were spaced out) were denied.

Also, don't expected to be promoted. Ever. Promotions, raises--all few and far between. Apparently they have to be approved by corporate and generally are only approved once a year. Promotions don't go to the person with the highest calibration scores (bakes and environment cleanliness are scored monthly) but rather to those that have little education, don't clean up after themselves, produce a sloppy product at the cost of following spec, and that cozy up to the BTS (manager below the BMM). – less
If all you want is a job, you'll be fine.
Certified Baker (Current Employee), CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: $10 of free food per work day, benefits

Overall the work environment is very friendly and there is great teamwork.
ASSOCIATE TRAINER (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2014
Pros: great atmospher, great teamwork
I enjoy working at this company because of the fellow associates. We all try to make the cafe positive. The management team are on one accord. As an associate trainer we are the leading examples of how we uphold the company standards. The most enjoyable part of the job is to communicate with the customers.
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 10, 2014
Friendly staff. I enjoy interacting with customers as well as my other responsibilities. I do not enjoy standing on my feet for eight hours without a break.

1 2 3 4 5

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more