Panera Bread Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,592 reviews matching the search
Busy and good for a first time manager!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLMarch 23, 2016
Working at Panera Bread is amazing! It has taught me so much being my first management opportunity. It gave me tons of challenges. Although, once you begin to move up, upper authority is bad about communicating any further growth. They were talking about promoting me to an Assistant manager, but when I am not reminded that this is in my future it is hard not to look for a better paying job.
Panera also does not have benefits unless you have worked there for more than a year and averaged 30 hours a week which is very hard to balance.
When I turned 18 this was a big issue.
I believe that benefits should definitely be included with the promotion to a shift supervisor.
Overall, Panera is not a bad place to work. I did enjoy most of my time there, but I need to grow and further my experiences!
I learned what i do not want to do
Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 22, 2016
Overall i rated this very low for the reason the management did not care about you. I was worked 30-50 hours a week even when i requested a reduction in hours. Getting time off is practically impossible as if you request off on holidays to be with family you will not get it unless you schedule it a month plus in advance. Management team was very disrespectful and negative. Only one of the managers were kind and a good person. Co-workers all hated there jobs. I quit because they burned me out and were not willing to bend with my set school schedule. Pay was 8.50$ an hour however after several months you can get a raise of which was never awarded to me because management "forgot" after me repeatedly reminding them.

Just as a side note on my history in the store I have worked almost every position in the store

Dishwasher, line, prep, cashier, truck unloading, closing store.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Read
Not a good place to make a career out of.
Cashier/Cook/tranier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2016
The company is horrible as a whole no good benefits no good pay always have to attend a bread bash meeting which is always on a Sunday at 8. some of the management was cool but the gm was very rude, she claim to be there for you but technically not. Basically panera wants perfect but they can never have that. I work hard for the 3 years to have a position that i know i have earn to be giving to someone who wasn't even no where near qualified. Also the hours was not that good either especially around the holidays your hours are cut really bad for example from thanksgiving til mid February or march thats when you will see better hours with this company.
Pros
discount on meals.
Cons
no good pay nor no good benefits.
Practice what they preach as far as providing fresh, clean, and healthy food
Panera Bread Stocking Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 10, 2016
Kept to their word when offering progress and advancement opportunities for those who were willing to show initiative and strong work ethic. With management being open, friendly, and organized, most, if not all days, were always smooth and easy to complete. The environment was always open to teamwork and help was always provided to whoever needed it at any moment. After work culture was very friendly. Overall, a great work experience and opportunity.
Pros
Easy teamwork, steep lunch discounts, fair and flexible work schedules.
Cons
Lack of full-time positions, unable to request more than 30 hrs a week.
People with high school attitudes (including management).
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Coming into short staffed shifts with nothing stocked because morning/midshift manager is lazy.Scheduling managers that fail to take into account availability, hours requested, and skill set of employees scheduled to work. I've learned that some managers like to play favorites, giving more hours to certain people as well letting people get away with things that others would be written up for. Management in general needs. They are never in agreement about anything and we keep having managers coming and going so there is no stability. Co-workers overall work well together, or at least they used to before we had a big manager overhaul. Dealing with managers and the division between morning crew and night crew would be the hardest part of the job to deal with. The most enjoyable part would be working with the friends we made there.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
management, no free meals, minimal raises, minimal room for advancement.
Not substantial room for growth
Associate (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLMarch 28, 2016
Although I was not planning on staying with Panera Bread for my career I expected at least a small raise for all the areas in which I was trained along with the time period in which I worked there. In the time I spent at Panera my pay only increased when minimum wage went up and when I confronted management about receiving a small raise they said they would talk with each other and get back to me. The meeting between management about my pay increase never occurred.
Pros
Management was nice
Cons
Not substantial room for growth
Worst work experience in my life.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2016
0 tolerance for any mistakes of any kind, regardless of your tenure there. Most unforgiving and hostile work environment for a manager I have ever experienced or even heard of. Horrible culture and no team work among management. Getting fired is their openly used incentive for all goals and expectations. Unbelievable. Hourly turnover in most locations was deplorable and the manager turnover was ridiculous as well. I have never seen so many managers leave with no notice in such a short period of time.
Very fun place to work at. Co-workers and Management are laid back.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 12, 2016
- Trained in every position.
- Go-to worker, for just about anything needed.
- Learned how to multitask efficiently.
- Co-workers for the most part, very friendly/caring.
- Management in a way lacking skill, but very friendly/caring.
- Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy and sometimes even irrational employees or customers.
- Easiest was the sociable part of the job.
Pros
Vacation time, Holiday time off, Full Benefits, Lots of Hours, Raises.
Cons
Short breaks, Young Workers, Drama-filled, Lack of Management at times.
Want reassurance that your life is worthless?
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day at Panera consists of upper management with little to know idea how to delegate procedures or organize a flowing deployment of associates for the day. You will be expected to do multiple things at once while doing it at a fast pace, on top of paying attention to details and expected to pick up others slack at all times. You will learn how to twist the truth and passive aggressively pawn all of your flaws and mistakes onto someone less fluent in "tattling." Co workers will constantly leave their work for others to finish knowing that upper management only grades you based on social status and amicability behind the scenes. The hardest part of the job is taking pride in your work day in and day out only to have others get the praise for your endeavors. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it's basically impossible to get fired, as the company is so deperate to keep employees in such a hostile and unguided work environment for more than a few weeks at a time.
Pros
Job security.
Cons
Minimal benefits. Minimal discounts. Maximum work overload.
High paced and high energy environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 11, 2016
At the core of every shift, their are the same basic tasks that require completion. I learned how to truly prioritize my time and effectively use the resources and tools I had around me to succeed. As part of a small management team, we all had different areas of impact. I was the Bakery Specialist. My team and I were able to make our roles our identity yet able to work together and keep each other in sync.
Hardest part of my job was leaving some days. I am a dedicated and hands on manager. I am proud to exceed expectations in paper results. I'm not worried that stepping away will bring instability. I enjoyed being emerged in a culture I helped create. Most enjoyable part was the customer service aspect. I value my people skills.
Panera Bread is dedicated to pleasing the customers and willing to do anything for them to have a good experience.
assist customers by way of preparing food (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLFebruary 20, 2016
My review of Panera Bread is Short and Simple. Panera is like any fast food restaurant. They offer good service and in a timely manner. what I do not agree with is the way they care about their workers. Like any restaurant service they are always short staff which has a big affect on the people who work their on a day to day basis. The pay is at minimum wage and I believe it should be higher because of the work we as a whole put in on a day to day basis. Management is like any other. Manager have no control over what happens at the job. They are told what to do, so they really don't have any authority. Their is always favoritism at any job, so some people get away with somethings that others wouldn't get away with.
Pros
One 50% off a lunch or meal.
Cons
No benefits even though you work full-hours.
Fun, Temporary Place to Work
Associate (Current Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 9, 2015
Fun place to work, good management and pretty simple tasks. A good employee discount and high standard food, so you actually want to eat the food. However (it might just be my location) some of the customers and complaints that you have to deal with are insane, nit-picky, and you have to deal with rude people. Other than that, we had regulars who came in and knew us by name, Panera is a pretty good franchise, and the atmosphere is good. Pay is alright, you may get a small raise after some time, but you could do the same work somewhere else for more money, that is the reason I left.
Pros
Employee discounts, good healthy food, oppurtunity to move up to trainer/managers.
Cons
Not the best pay, early mornings for opening, rude guests
Productive and Busy Workplace
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJFebruary 13, 2016
I have worked at Panera Bread for almost 4 years now. The one I work at while home, is 5 minutes from my house. While at school, Philadelphia University, I work at a Panera Bread that is 20 minutes away. Both Panera Breads have similar workplaces, with good coworkers and management. Since I have been there for so long, I am skilled in everything at the store such as register, dining room/dish, sandwiches, salads, and prep. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with good people, while the hardest part is making food during lunch time. Since I have been there for so long, I do enjoy the job.
Pros
65% off of meals, after we close food is essentially free
Cons
no benefits besides ones listed in pros, uniform is uncomfortable
Fun Staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2015
I typically started my day very early at 5am and it was non-stop with very few breaks. I learned several things about baking. There was a high turnover in management. Often times, the general manager worked less hours than required, which made it so the other managers would have to pick up the slack. The staff was a lot of fun and we all got along pretty well. The hardest part was being on salary and getting paid for 50 hours but having to work more hours. There was not much room for advancement. The most enjoyable part was working with lots of great, different customers.
Pros
free meals, customers
Cons
work-life balance
Bright and comfortable environment
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 5, 2016
While working at Panera Bread i have developed positive relationships with my management team and co-workers. I enjoy working with them day in and day out. They have taught me much about the expectations of their company as well as enforced expectations of their own in a relaxed manor. I have worked in several areas of Panera Bread; cashier, barista backer, food preparation, as well as back of house. I believe each job at Panera is difficult in its own way and takes employees who care about their job enough to put forward extra effort to uphold Panera standards in customer relations and quality assurance. Overall I have and still am enjoying my experience at Panera, but I know it is time for me to start working towards gaining experience in fields more related to my future career plans for after graduation. After all, I have over 40 credits in my major, Business Administration at Rockingham Community College and I transferring to University of North Carolina Greensboro, to continue my education and obtain a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration.
Pros
Great work environment, extraordinary team members and managment
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities, low compensation
A Great experience
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 8, 2016
I loved working here, the people and the guests were great.

There were awards to earn based upon fun things like most up-sales, most amount of customer service feedback emails, a fun and optimistic crew, and well established rules, policies and learning programs that made everything very clear.

There was not really any hard part of the job , because, once again the entire team was very optimistic including management.

I put a one star into job work/life balance because they did not work around school schedule, or forgot to schedule around my specified and filed availability, and when they made this error, left it up to the employees to figure out trading shifts.
Pros
Free lunch, colorful building
Cons
Unflexible around schedule
Very relaxed job place
Hourly Associate (Current Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAFebruary 29, 2016
Panera Bread is a great job place for students looking for a job to pay for college or other expenses. The management was very relaxed but still strict enough that things that needed done were done in a timely manner. The only problem is that the store I worked at was not well staffed so if someone called off, the store would struggle. Usually the same 3 to 4 people worked every night. There is however a very very large opportunity for advancement in the company.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours, friendly associates
Cons
Not well staffed
Great company
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 23, 2016
This was a great company to work for. I believe Panera as a whole is a wonderful company with many programs to help it's associates and the community around them. Management helped employees during high traffic moments and provided a wonderful atmosphere. I worked with this company for 4.5 years and the only concern I had was the advancement opportunity. 3 times out of 10 they hired someone outside of the company to hire as supervisor.
Pros
great discount, great coworkers, wonderful programs
Cons
advancement opportunities
Great Place to Work!
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILFebruary 2, 2016
I have been working at Panera Bread for over 6 years. I love the job, the people, the customers, and the food! Panera is a great place to go, regardless if you're a customer or an employee. Management usually does a good job with everything. I love Panera!
Pros
Beneifts (Dental, Health, Vision)! 401K!
Cons
Raises are very small!
Great company to work for
Back Up Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 13, 2016
The culture at Panera Bread is very inclusive and supportive. A good company to work for. The benefits are a good, but there could be more flexibility.
Pros
Great benfits, healtcare, vacation time, sick days, and pay increases
Cons
Opportunity for advancement minimal in some departments