Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 4,879 reviews matching the search
Intense place to work at times
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 3, 2017
Working for Panera proved to be tasking more often then not at the particular location I worked. the management team failed to come together to build on consistency to ensure the staff was properly trained, policies and procedures were adhered to by all team members, including management team. This proved to be quite challenging at times and created dislike for going to work at this location When I voiced my concerns to the Area Development Manager, I felt as though my concerns had not been fully addressed and in fact dismissed because no positive results came of it. Although I really do like the company and if the opportunity were to present itself I would gladly consider employment with Panera Bread again, this particular management team at this location did not make me feel as though I was a part of the team.
Pros
Conpensation, benefits
Cons
Work/life balance(GM worked mostly early mornings and Monday -Friday)
I did not enjoy, for the most part
Baker Helper/ Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2017
A typical workday consisted of pulling out food for the next day's bake, assisting the night baker, and washing dishes. I learned to clean dishes and maintain my work space. The management wasn't the best. For the most part they seemed fairly new at their jobs or just extremely busy to the point, however, when I could get a hold of them, they where quite helpful and kind. The workplace culture is quite serious, most night bakers came straight from culinary school, honestly, a bit of dedication that I find inspiring. The hardest part of my job (as it was my first real job) was managing my work duties and the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking the baguettes out of the oven.
Pros
Health benefits, better pay
Cons
Horrible training (as in poor quality)
dependable on your cafe but your work crew feels like family
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, RIMarch 14, 2017
Which cafe you work at depends on how your typical day goes and your experience. Some cafes do crazy business so you'd always be moving and preparing food. I've also noticed that some cafes are more laid back than others. The cafe i work at tries to make us feel like family. We'll do things for each other or sometimes our bosses will buy us appreciation gifts. They hold meeting every couple of months to keep us up to date with new products and to give us recognitions. The recognitions can range from how many years you've been there to being the associate of the year or quarter. They also hold events for associates that want to participate. Some examples are The Panera Bread Olympics or the 5K walk/run for children.
Pros
discount on meals, Free meals if you train someone that day, Work with your schedule for the most part
Cons
pay isn't too great and you'll usually only get a few cents as a raise
Stressful, short staffed, high turn over
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 8, 2017
I love working for a company that has clean products and I love my team but upper management can be inconsistent and sometimes there is a huge lack of communication. My store is constantly understaffed and I don't get a high applicant flow so good help is hard to come by. The customer base is more draining then any other restaurant job I've ever had. I was not trained properly either. I was two weeks into my training before I got "fast tracked" to my location so at times it is hard to follow policies when I was never told proper procedure which is bad for moral, and hurts business as well. Lastly we are always running out of product because food cost is so restrictive and we are supposed to run out of product by the time the truck comes which I think is a poor policy since we are always out of something.
Pros
benefits and decent pay plus bonus potential
Cons
STRESSFUL, lacked proper training
quality company with
GM (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 5, 2017
A typical day consisted of quality checks, and constantly checking on the many different areas of production to make sure of quick and properly made products. Food was verified and went out to the guest, I learned how to balance many different systems and make sure we were producing efficiently and properly. The management was full of quality people and with ample opportunity to develop and seek out new talent. The culture was one of embracing change. The hardest part of the job was making sure we produced quality food in a quick and proper manner. The best part of the job was our guest and our team members.
Pros
innovation, quality product
Cons
compensation
Productive and fast-paced restaurant
Production Line Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 23, 2016
Panera is usually understaffed most days; employees often find themselves having to run the cafe due to lack of management. There are usually 3-4 managers on duty during the days, usually 2 of which are stuck doing paperwork all day rather than working on the line. Fellow co-workers seem to always be close by whenever needed and willing to help. Hardest part of the job is closing down the cafe, making sure everything is spotless and ready to go for the next day; having so many tasks to do without an extra helping hand. The most enjoyable part of the job is having such close relationships with everyone you work with as well as all of the customers
Pros
friendly/positive environment, decent benefits/discounts, flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Lack of advancement, lack of staff after lunch hours, managers lack initiative
Hostile work enviroment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJanuary 3, 2017
I left Panera bread because of the lack of communication and management, management would "walk all over you." Pretty much just use you.

I dealt with long lines of hungry people at times I would not get help ringing them up.

Working with some co workers it was nothing but drama, I worked my hardest every single day.

I came in early when asked and left late at times not because I wanted too but because I noticed some co workers needed help.
I was offered a shift supervisor position with NO raise and that is why I quit and went to the Holiday Inn,

Overall I did not like working there.
Pros
Free food & health care
Cons
no raises
Well paying but very demanding
Certified Baker Trainer (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 12, 2016
The work/life balance is absolutely awful here
-They will frequently contact you via call & email in your time off
-You cannot have "regular" days off, weekend or otherwise
-They do not offer sick days or family leave
-You are expected to work all holidays
-You typically do not have time for any breaks
-You are expected to "float" to any store you are needed at
-The starting times vary anywhere from 9pm-12am from day to day
-You do not have a set "getting off" time; you may only leave when you're finished with your large list of daily tasks
Pros
free $10 lunches, good benefits, good pay
Cons
few to no breaks, horrible work/life balance, inconstant workload, variable hours, no sick days
Fast-Paced, Low Pay, (Hourly Retail/Fast Food)
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  North Port, FLOctober 29, 2016
Working for Panera Bread is about what you would expect from a "Fast-Food" environment. It, however, is miles ahead of McDonalds, Burger King--etc. The staff are usually* friendly, management is usually* quite good, the food is good, the pay is minimum wage (or slightly higher), they hire minors >=16, Fairly good Part-Time Hours, a tendency to work Full-Timers over 41 hours, and in a clean environment.

Since I was in High-School at the time, I personally only worked the weekends--or late nights, and I did not get many hours.

A good High-Schooler job, or just graduated job--or college (part time) addition.
Pros
65% Discount on a daily meal, access to a list of benefits (from Phone service discounts to Insurance), and access to special "Staff Money" (Basically a 50% discount anytime, at any store.)
Cons
Low pay, Hard (for minors) to advance, Rare Raises (even for full-timers), Tedious management habits.
Great Work Environment
Back Of House Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 11, 2017
The hardest part about working at Panera was learning stricter work ethics then I was used to at previous restaurants I have worked at. The management there cares about their customers and the employees that work there. They're advocates of clean food and employee benefits. I love working at Panera because the management lets you have opportunities learning different positions throughout the cafe. The funnest part of working there is getting used to what's expected and being able to provide more.
Pros
Free Lunches, Position Opportunities, Co-workers
Cons
Scheduling, Hours, Days Off
Managers Immature
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJFebruary 1, 2017
After working here I have noticed the business does not care about their employees at all. Managers are nasty and spiteful, love to cause unnecessary drama. Hire terrible employees, talk down on their work ethic but do not fire them to hire better people to bring up the quality of the restraunt. Gives decent raises to those who have worked there for a shorter amount of time than those who have worked years. AWFUL place to work do not recommend whatsoever, glad I quit when I did!
Pros
always correct amount in paychecks
Great place to work!!
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gadsden, ALOctober 13, 2016
A great place to work, great benefits, and very friendly and helpful management team. Catering is usually run by only the Catering Coordinator its like your own business with in a business, so you have to be willing to work hard and keep your clients happy!! Mon-Fri work week is typical unless you occasionally have a large order on the weekend.... but you make an hourly pay, with tips and mileage reimbursement for your personal vehicle. I was a coordinator for years and loved it!! I have since advanced and continue to love Panera, it's the best company I have ever worked for, they take care of their employees very well!!
Pros
Free lunch, Tips, Mon-Fri 5-1 or 6-2, great benefits, awesome management team.
Cons
Alot of miles on your personal vehical, demanding time crunches!!
Healthy food, long hours, but great potential.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Canton, CTJanuary 8, 2017
Overall Panera Bread is a good company to work for as they provide competitive pay and potential for upward mobility. I enjoy the many options for healthy eating as well as their charitable donations of leftover food to those in need at the end of each day. The hours can be difficult at times, as I was a store opener many days a week beginning at 5am, however the overall atmosphere of Panera Bread is positive through the efforts of dedicated managers and considerate coworkers.
Pros
Employee discount, pay, benefits.
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts.
Even the Good days don't outweight the Bad ones.
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MADecember 5, 2016
Loved working at the Stoughton location simply because my coworkers were awesome! Some had even become family overtime; it was like working thru the comfort of your own home. However, management is a mess. Nobody decides to take the initiative and do what needs to be done. Managers telling associates that its Their job to do when in reality, its really the managers job. Put too much responsibility on those who are actually capable of fulfilling their duties.
Pros
Free Lunch, good company, good laughs
Cons
Short to No Breaks, Compensation is bare minimum, overloading amount of work.
Not great...
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RINovember 20, 2016
I've worked many under the table jobs, Panera being my first real job. The people were great. The pay, hours, and management were god awful. I learned a lot about sanitary work spaces, as well as dealing with unfriendly customers. A typical day at work was a line out the door, nonstop cooking and cleaning. Rude managers who think of you as a tool to get a job done and not a person. maybe for $2 more per hour I would have stayed but certainly not for $9 bucks an hour. They don't even give their workers free food on lunch break..
Pros
Reduced price meals. Good Co-workers.
Cons
Bad corporate system. No Benefits. Horrible pay. No Tips for waiters/waitresses.
For the Individual
Assistant Baker (Current Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILOctober 1, 2016
Baking is less of traditional baking and more of shaping, proofing, and getting stuff out of the freezer to thaw.

It's a good job for those without experience and wanting to start getting baking experience.

Management was great, I was offered full-time baker training and $2 raise within a month. I'm searching for something more to my college degree though. If you're good you'll get the same offer.

Everything is baked every night by 1-3 bakers, so must work well on your own and be good at multitasking.

Most Chicago Paneras are owned by HAMRA company, so could be different for those in other locations. HAMRA itself seems like a morally good company that wants advancement from within.
Pros
Working alone, advancement
Cons
Do the same exact thing every night
Hope other jobs aren't this bad
Certified Trainer, Associate (Former Employee) –  Broadview Hts, OHSeptember 26, 2016
I worked at a Panera at a turnpike plaza, and it was pretty great the first year, and then the management at my store change. The general manager was absolutely terrible. I worked there almost 3 years, and never really advanced past becoming a certified trainer, which I never got my raise for. It's a pretty racist and sexist company, where all the upper management are pretty terrible people, and rumored drunks. Which is probably the only way to sanely make it through a work experience there. I enjoyed some of my coworkers, who were great and completely unrecognized. Hard work was criticized, and rule breaking and threatening to quit got you a raise. I would not recommend a job there, unless you are truly desperate, and even then.
Pros
50% discount for associates, and free meals for managers
Cons
understaffed, criticized, sometimes go without a break, often forced to stay late
Great job as baker
Certified Baker (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 20, 2017
Typically you come in after cafe as closed and you bake everything yourself. You're usually the only baker working shifts are about 8-10 hours depending on how busy your cafe is. Job is hard most times you have to be good at multitasking and time management. Benefits for Panera and especially night bakers are great, you get a free $10 meal every shift you work. You can also buy gift cards for friends and family for half off.
Pros
Free meal, half off giftcards, paid time off, benefits
Cons
Hard job and third shift
Decent entry level job but poor advancement and long term opportunities
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 17, 2016
Panera is a good first job for high school and college aged individuals but over time the time becomes increasing frustrating due to constantly having new staff members and managers. Turnover rate is extremely high and general management and district management are often times not on the same page. Difficult to get raises and many of the managers treat staff very poorly.
Pros
Good coworkers, flexible hours
Cons
no job advancement opportunities, poor management, rude customers.
Not a great place to work
Production Staff (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 28, 2016
Panera Bread in Greenville, SC is definitely not the best place to work. The staff were generally all good people, and nice to be around, but management was heinous. I was penalized for needing to go to the hospital and told it was "unacceptable," before having my full-time hours cut down to less than 10 a week. There was not adequate hands-on training, and then there were penalties for not being able to perform to their satisfaction in the same job you were barely trained on. The benefits and pay are not worth all the terrible things you have to deal with on a daily basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

76%